Vatican City, Holy See, Vatican City

Already have it bookmarked.

Sasha Baron Cohen

Mar 04 06 03:40 am Link

Model

scarletdiva

Los Angeles, California, US

D 'Thesis' Yanov wrote:

Are these your original sentiments or are you goading me? I am slow on the uptake, but I think it is the latter. Have you been there? Have you known some of the prigs and snots?
I am a total contrarian and I spent most of my life mocking the U of C and Academia. However, in the last couple of years I have come around. I started to take classes just for fun, just on things that interested me with no practical thought. I am addicted to really smart people who have things to teach me and the U of C has some great pockets of knowledge. I am enamoured by the Committee on Social Thought, which is a basket case of really interesting people from all sorts of disciplines.

nah yeah i was goading... i have my own sour gripes (grapes...) with academia and the symbol chasing that goes on in this country... but for the most part i am addicted to smarties as well, and i think UChicago is actually a pretty damn neat place.  i still think Ivy Leaguers are washouts, and NYU is an evil corporation, but UChicago actually i got accepted there but lacked the funds and they didnt offer me a scholarship like NYU... but... eh... we digress here bigtime.

Mar 04 06 06:13 am Link

Model

Mockingbird Girl

New York, New York, US

D 'Thesis' Yanov wrote:
BTW you have great taste in poets. Leonard Cohen is up your ally. Cohen loves Lorca and transformed Lorca's poem "Little Vienesse Waltz" into an amazing song "This Waltz."

Thank you.  Poetry is how I find myself when I forget who I am.  I frequently walk around with 2 - 3 books of poetry in my bag. Right now I have Neruda's "20 Love Poems and a Song of Despair", Anne Sexton's "Transformations" (I have a thing for subverted fairy tales) and a Robert Bly collection of international poetry which is *amazing*: "The Winged Energy of Delight : Selected Translations".  It has introduced me to some amazing poets i.e. Kabir, Mirabai. And it's given me delicious little morsels of those whom I already adore (Neruda, Lorca, Jimenez, Hafez, Rilke).  This book is ALWAYs in my bag. Here's the amazon link if you're interested.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006057 … oding=UTF8

Thank you for the Cohen recommendation....Lapis mentioned you thought I would like him.  I *do* ;-)  After poetry, music is my soul.  Lyrics that are poetry are always near and dear to me as well (you should check out Elliott Smith if you haven't already).

Mar 04 06 07:30 am Link

Model

scarletdiva

Mockingbird Girl wrote:

Thank you.  Poetry is how I find myself when I forget who I am.  I frequently walk around with 2 - 3 books of poetry in my bag. Right now I have Neruda's "20 Love Poems and a Song of Despair", Anne Sexton's "Transformations" (I have a thing for subverted fairy tales) and a Robert Bly collection of international poetry which is *amazing*: "The Winged Energy of Delight : Selected Translations".  It has introduced me to some amazing poets i.e. Kabir, Mirabai. And it's given me delicious little morsels of those whom I already adore (Neruda, Lorca, Jimenez, Hafez, Rilke).  This book is ALWAYs in my bag. Here's the amazon link if you're interested.

Thank you for the Cohen recommendation....Lapis mentioned you thought I would like him.  I *do* ;-)  After poetry, music is my soul.  Lyrics that are poetry are always near and dear to me as well (you should check out Elliott Smith if you haven't already).

MMMmmmmm Elliott Smith... between the bars...

Mar 04 06 02:47 pm Link

Model

Ocean Jasper

Mockingbird Girl wrote:

I like Bly's anthologies, but am not thrilled about his own poetic efforts. Thanks for the link. I ordered the book for only $2.55. What a bargain.  Good Anthologies are like a great dating service; they introduce you to many people some of whom you may actually want to get to know better.

I read an interview with Billy Collins and he was asked if he was friends with a lot of other poets and he said I know them from the best place their poems.

Mar 04 06 06:03 pm Link

Model

Ocean Jasper

Since this is supposed to be a thread in praise of Lapis let me say two things both unrelated, but they crossed into my wandering mind at the same synaptic moment, which I suppose means they are related.

Among the great virtues of Lapis is that she is a connector. She connects people to each other. Witness this thread.

Second Lapis used to have a last name. And i am particularly enamoured of this last name. The full name is Lapis Lazuli. To my mind the name cojures up a continental spy, vitage world war I. On a grainy film and everything slightly out of focus the commander of the French Forces, speaking in a grainy black and white early talkie says "Lapis Lazuli was our greatest spy". Through puffs of smoke the scene fades and dissolves as we begin to see the true story behind the myth.

Mar 04 06 06:12 pm Link

Model

scarletdiva

D 'Thesis' Yanov wrote:
Since this is supposed to be a thread in praise of Lapis let me say two things both unrelated, but they crossed into my wandering mind at the same synaptic moment, which I suppose means they are related.

Among the great virtues of Lapis is that she is a connector. She connects people to each other. Witness this thread.

Second Lapis used to have a last name. And i am particularly enamoured of this last name. The full name is Lapis Lazuli. To my mind the name cojures up a continental spy, vitage world war I. On a grainy film and everything slightly out of focus the commander of the French Forces, speaking in a grainy black and white early talkie says "Lapis Lazuli was our greatest spy". Through puffs of smoke the scene fades and dissolves as we begin to see the true story behind the myth.

Jean Luc Godard directs.  On Bravo, at 9.

Mar 05 06 01:56 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

D 'Thesis' Yanov wrote:
Second Lapis used to have a last name. And i am particularly enamoured of this last name. The full name is Lapis Lazuli. To my mind the name cojures up a continental spy...

To me it conjures up images of an oversexed skinny redheaded girl with a big nose and quick fingers.

Yours is good, but I like mine better.

M

Mar 06 06 10:40 am Link

Model

scarletdiva

StMarc wrote:

To me it conjures up images of an oversexed skinny redheaded girl with a big nose and quick fingers.

Yours is good, but I like mine better.

M

i can see both.  but i knew it as the semi-precious gem first and foremost, being the word-nerd that i am, thats kinda the image that sticks.

Mar 06 06 07:12 pm Link