Forums > General Industry > Models That Don't Respond

Photographer

CreativeWorld

Paramus, New Jersey, US

Is it just me or is it prevalent to have models not respond one way or the other to messages about TFCD offers?  When the time comes to hire someone for money, guess who won't be receiving offers.

Mar 01 06 01:23 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Lots of people on both sides of the camera don't respond.  99% of the emails I send out vanish into the void.  I figure that is my answer, and move along.

Mar 01 06 01:25 pm Link

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

On one hand I agree with Shyly.  On the other hand, sometimes I'm a ditz.  I think I reply when I really don't.  I read the message but don't have time, saying "I'll get back to it" and then forget.  Or sometimes I'm just not interested NOW and for whatever ungodly reason don't reply and SAY so. smile

Mar 01 06 01:28 pm Link

Model

Janesse

New York, New York, US

I always reply, and I hate when people don't!

Mar 01 06 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

bd miller

Los Angeles, California, US

Shyly is right. Models ,photogrpahers, or whomever will respond if they're interested, money or not. It would be nice to respond to every email but they don't OWE you a response... and who has time? If fact, what the hell am I doing wasting my time writing this? Let's both move on, shall we.

Mar 01 06 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

CreativeWorld

Paramus, New Jersey, US

Personally speaking, given a choice between a courteous model and a prima donna
guess who wins?

Mar 01 06 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

CreativeWorld

Paramus, New Jersey, US

guess who wins?

Mar 01 06 01:37 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

CreativeWorld wrote:
guess who wins?

Well of course, that's a given.  I personally try to respond to all correspondence, but I've been known to get behind because, frankly, I get a lot of it.  I'm just saying that your life will be a happier, less stressful place if you relegate this to the "not worth being upset over" pile, precisely because there are so many talented, beautiful, courteous models out there who will respond!

Mar 01 06 01:43 pm Link

Model

Naturelle-amaya

New York, New York, US

I ALWAYS REPLY... EVEN IF ITS TO SAY THAT I WONT BE ACCEPTING THE OFFER, BUT THAT IM HONOURED FOR THE EXTENDED OPPORTUNITY. ITS JUST SOMETIMES HECTIC SCHEDULES COUPLED WITH THE FACT THAT YOU MAY BE RECEIVING ALOT OF PAID OFFERS AT THE SAME TIME AS A TFCD

Mar 01 06 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

I give a model 2 chances. The first message, then a 2nd a couple weeks later with "Followup" in the message header. If I get no reply at that point, I've learned all I need to know.  I've had one model reply back months later apologizing profusely for some misdirected e-mails that kept her from knowing she had mail to reply to...we have not been able to coordinate schedules, but I have given her the benefit of the doubt.

Mar 01 06 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Far West Imaging

Laguna Hills, California, US

I always appreciate it when they do get back, if just to say no thanks.  But many don't respond, which is a message.  And you are right, I won't consider hiring them.

Mar 01 06 01:50 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Personally, I think models AND photographers AND stylists that don't at least send a "no thanks" or "too busy" or "your work sucks, get real" give the rest of us that do respond a bad name.

I'm sorry, but no one is too busy for a quick response back...and if you were, you wouldn't be on MM looking for work/networking.

I understand the occassional mistake, and maybe someone missed a message..and when a photog/stylist doesn't respond to me, I will follow up with a "hey- I sent you a msg. and I just wanted to try again and see if you're interested- if not, take care". But I think it's unprofessional not to respond...

-D-

Mar 01 06 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Myopic Earache

Chicago, Illinois, US

The irony is I was seconds away from posting about this exact same subject.  I had a cancellation this weekend and was looking to fill the slot.  I emailed 4 different models whom all expressed interest in working with me... message read and days later no reply.  A nudge is in order.

Daniela V wrote:
Personally, I think models AND photographers AND stylists that don't at least send a "no thanks" or "too busy" or "your work sucks, get real" give the rest of us that do respond a bad name.

Exactly, is that so freekin' difficult?  I think not.

E

Mar 01 06 01:58 pm Link

Model

NAT

Huntington, Virginia, US

CreativeWorld wrote:
Is it just me or is it prevalent to have models not respond one way or the other to messages about TFCD offers?  When the time comes to hire someone for money, guess who won't be receiving offers.

Photographers sometimes dont respond also ...so it goes both ways.........and I dont think that is right .

Mar 01 06 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Myopic Earache

Chicago, Illinois, US

Photographers sometimes dont respond also ...so it goes both ways.........and I dont think that is right .

Agreed, this post should be re-titled "Email neglect shall NOT be tolerated at MM!"

Mar 01 06 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

Myopic Earache wrote:

Agreed, this post should be re-titled "Email neglect shall NOT be tolerated at MM!"

This another trait of being a Professional. Having integrity, and respecting peoples time and efforts.

It like being late to a shoot. It just shows the lack of respect for the other people on the shoot.

M

Mar 01 06 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

If I message someone and I see that they read it; I just assume they took a look at my port and weren't interested. Still, a polite refusal (or just a "hahahahaha" )would make things clear.
The ones that get under my skin are those who message back and forth until you actually try to set up a meeting and then they seem to fall off the face of the earth.

Mar 01 06 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

I don't mind an initial no response much. If they're not interested, they're not interested.

What does bug me is an enthusiastic response (or two), THEN no response. At that point, it's annoying.

Mar 01 06 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Shyly wrote:
Lots of people on both sides of the camera don't respond.  99% of the emails I send out vanish into the void.  I figure that is my answer, and move along.

I agree completely.  No response is a response.  It means they are not interested.

On the other hand, I usually take a good deal of time evaluating someone's pictures and send out offers to very few models who meet my rather strict requirements.  My first impulse is that it's rude that they don't reply.  On the other hand, I assume there may have been cases in the past where they sent out rejections and the photographer started getting all whiny, so they just stopped responding when they weren't interested.

-Dave

Mar 01 06 02:31 pm Link

Model

Amy Dunn Esq

New York, New York, US

MM is s-l-o-w. It's hard to send a response sometimes. I always try to respond, but I don't take it personally when models/photographers blow me off.

Mar 01 06 02:36 pm Link

Model

Sysamsbe

See this is what puzzles me.....People (models and photographers) get angry when people who are not intrested do not respond, BUT if they did respond and said something like "Thanks for the offer but I am not intrested in working with you" Then they would be "too good" then they would be PRIMA DONNAS so either way your screwed because people complain 24/7

Mar 01 06 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

John W Cochran

Auburn, Alabama, US

Any time I've been emailed I respond, and wish others would do the same.  I know people are busy, but if I don't hear from them in a few days I write it off.  I may email again later, but I figure they didn't like what they saw.

Mar 01 06 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

CreativeWorld wrote:

You didn't ask for reasons, but here are some anyway:

1.  Perhaps they've had bad experiences rejecting someone in the past and just decided not to respond at all anymore to offers they're not interested in.

2.  Pretty women can always blow people off without consequence.  It goes with the territory.

3.  Very attractive women probably get tons of requests and responding to them all is too time consuming day after day after day.

If you don't get a reply, they aren't interested.  Unless a model is earning a living by modeling, they can take them or leave them based on nothing more than a whim or a mood.

-Dave

Mar 01 06 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

CreativeWorld wrote:
Is it just me or is it prevalent to have models not respond one way or the other to messages about TFCD offers?

You are asking someone to respond to an offer of their only worth to be a barter. 

Perhaps those that don't respond feel they are worth more than that or they choose their barters based on higher merit.  Some classify that as prima donna behavior, others call it good business practice.

Mar 01 06 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Ron B Blake

Macomb, Illinois, US

This is what separates the INTERNET only  Models

Most likley hasn't had any to little professional experience

No comp cards printed

Fishermen

Sincerely
Ron Blake

Mar 01 06 03:14 pm Link

Model

Victoria Elle

New York, New York, US

>>Perhaps they've had bad experiences rejecting someone in the past and just decided not to respond at all anymore to offers they're not interested in

Mar 01 06 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Anderson Artwork

Kansas City, Missouri, US

First off...this is a business...NO reply in business is NOT an acceptable answer and should never be concidered as one. That is just plain rude! If you walked in to a shop, asked the clerk to help you with something and the clerk didn't even acknowelge your presence? Wouldn't you feel like calling for a manager?

You can say to someone "Go to Hell!' and be more of a professional than with silence. Silence never allows the person sending an legitimate offer the opportunity to MOVE ON. There are too many things that can happen to an email to just say "Oh well, I guess they didn't like my idea" Basically you NEVER know if it is just a Web/PC glitch or that the model isn't interested UNLESS they respond. It doesn't take but just a few SECONDS to click "reply" type "No Thanks" and then click "send." If they badger you after that then you can freely not answer because THEY are being rude but YOU are not coming off as unprofessional.

Second? Anyone remember that old saying "Be careful who you step on...on your way up...you 'll be passing them again on your way down." I had that situation come up once. She was rude...several times...no call no show...once...canceled last minuet...twice....a client came up with her name to concider for our gig..."Maybe we should request her services?"...they asked me if I had ever worked with her...I told them the truth...GUESS....Who didn't get 3 days work at $800 per?

'nuff said!

Mar 01 06 03:18 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

You got to be kidding me?!?!? You mean to tell me....

no....it's not true

Models actually don't respond sometimes?????

lol wink

Mar 01 06 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

CreativeWorld

Paramus, New Jersey, US

I'm trying to get over the fact that photographers blow off Amy Dunn.  Now I know the world is going crazy.

Mar 01 06 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Anderson Artwork wrote:
First off...this is a business...

I don't think so.  How many people on here do you think have business licenses?  How many people on here do you think even derive any significant income from shooting models?  How many models on here do you think report their modeling income on their income taxes?  I think the overwelming majority do not.

Anderson Artwork wrote:
If you walked in to a shop, asked the clerk to help you with something and the clerk didn't even acknowelge your presence?

How many photographers on here do you think have "a shop" (ie: studio).

Anderson Artwork wrote:
Anyone remember that old saying "Be careful who you step on...on your way up...you 'll be passing them again on your way down."

On their way up to where?  A career in mainstream modeling?  How many people on here do you think are headed for success as career models?

Basically, in my humble opinion, MM is a place where people connect to practice an avocation, not a career.  Transactions occur between folks here for sure, but I think it's much closer to being a hobby to most people here than a business (whether they care to admit it or not).  I think even the pros probably consider MM to be quite removed from their mainstream professions.

-Dave

Mar 01 06 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

Ron B Blake

Macomb, Illinois, US

Anderson Artwork wrote:
Anyone remember that old saying "Be careful who you step on...on your way up...you 'll be passing them again on your way down."

On their way up to where?  A career in mainstream modeling?  How many people on here do you think are headed for success as career models?

Basically, in my humble opinion, MM is a place where people connect to practice an avocation, not a career.  Transactions occur between folks here for sure, but I think it's much closer to being a hobby to most people here than a business (whether they care to admit it or not).  I think even the pros probably consider MM to be quite removed from their mainstream professions.

-Dave

Exactly Dave

Reality check in dealing with whats real and whats Internet

Many of these so called models cant even use a phone to discuss a possible shoot

Sincerely
Ron Blake

Mar 01 06 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Indochine

I understand that no response means "not interested," what I don't get is why some people are not interested. Usually, the models I contact are attractive but have some element missing from their collection of photos I think I can add. In other words, I don't contact gorgeous models whose books I can bring nothing to.

When these models--who are clearly lacking in clean quality pics--don't respond, I must admit, I find it peturbing.

Mar 01 06 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

Genell Canty

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Models always respond to me about my shoots...it's just that they won't respond or excuses start to pop up like a day or 2 before the shoot...reeeeeally random excuses....but stuff happens  :~\

Mar 01 06 06:57 pm Link

Model

C_A_M

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

VikyL wrote:
I just end up sending a "I'm flattered by your interest, but unfortunately I'm not shooting TFP at this time."  And I'm being honest here: I *am* flattered whenever anyone would like to shoot me.

So any suggestions on how to tell a photographer that you are not interested in shooting with them even if you are taking tfp? I have not found a solid answer that is polite but professional and gets the point across...

Mar 01 06 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

CreativeWorld wrote:

I for one, prefer to be replied to with "sorry, not interested" instead of no reply at all.

It's usually models (from our perspective), however, I do believe it's more so people who are :

a) not that serious about doing work from here.

b) think they are waaaay above the sender.

c) don't take time to respond, because they are otherwise busy (in school most often).

d) I am sure others can add more reasons....

Mar 01 06 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Indochine

Cora wrote:

So any suggestions on how to tell a photographer that you are not interested in shooting with them even if you are taking tfp? I have not found a solid answer that is polite but professional and gets the point across...

Here I'd say the chances are a "no reply" will be just about as offensive as anything you could write, because either way it comes down to a professional rejection--you just don't like that person's work. There is no nice way to say this, and people who say they would rather hear that than nothing may be kidding themselves.

Mar 01 06 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

theresa bailey wrote:
I ALWAYS REPLY... EVEN IF ITS TO SAY THAT I WONT BE ACCEPTING THE OFFER, BUT THAT IM HONOURED FOR THE EXTENDED OPPORTUNITY. ITS JUST SOMETIMES HECTIC SCHEDULES COUPLED WITH THE FACT THAT YOU MAY BE RECEIVING ALOT OF PAID OFFERS AT THE SAME TIME AS A TFCD

Dunno why, but I am waiting on you, Theresa. If it's paid work that's keeping you from me, let's discuss that then. You are definitely a "D2BP" model.

Mar 01 06 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

CreativeWorld wrote:

Models don't respond to paying offers as well.  And before you ask, it has nothing to do with either nudity or the amount of money.  I find models are just as unlikely to respond to an offer for high paying non-nude work to a low paying nude job.  The reverse is true as well, I get as many responses to nude offers as I get to non-nude offers.

That having been said, if a model ignores me, I presume she declines.  I shoot twelve models a month for stock, nudity isn't required, it takes well over 100 e-mails to get twelve takers.

Mar 01 06 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

WASH-HI PHOTO

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

If the email is not offensive and appears sincere, professional courtesy is to reply even if "thanks, no thanks"  is all.

Mar 01 06 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

CreativeWorld wrote:
guess who wins?

That's what I am saying too. When that tax refund come, and I am ready to step up my game with some paid shoots. I look for that courteous model to give my money to.

Mar 01 06 07:09 pm Link