Forums > General Industry > What does it take to get models to show up?

Photographer

Kilmer Photography

Boothwyn, Pennsylvania, US

..Maybe I'm doing something wrong..maybe other photographers have noticed this as well..? But here is how it goes in my world-

1- A model will contact me, or I will contact a model from the "browse" page that's local, and the dance begins.

2- I usually get "I LOVE Pin-Up!" "Lets shoot soon!"

Now granted, my work is quite specific in the type of model I'm looking for..OK, I can understand that I've narrowed the field considerably, however, I still get the same song and dance...

3- My response is usually "Great! Lets pick a day and shoot!"

4- This is where things break down. I start getting "Well...I'm not really available ETC..." Or I get no specific date or even what day would work best.

5- If I DO get a response, and get a date lined up, its usually broken by the model. This has happened several times. Its frustrating.

OK..What is going on here, and do other photographers get that too? Of the 10 lines I throw out there, lately there has been nothing in return.

I'm professional, have a studio, and love to shoot...I'm puzzled.

Steve K.

Feb 28 06 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Kilmer Photography wrote:
I'm professional, have a studio, and love to shoot...I'm puzzled.

You're not offering enough incentive.  How big a paycheck are you offering?

Feb 28 06 07:26 pm Link

Model

Sibyl Nin has retired

Brooklyn, New York, US

offer money and they will come..tongue

Feb 28 06 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

1.  I e-mail them an invitation to attend.
2.  I promise them a specific amount of cash plus images.
3.  I demand a cell phone number that they can be reached at (and EVERYONE has a cell phone these days).
4.  I contact them via phone one week before, and one day before, to confirm their attendance.
5.  I call them on the morning (10 or 11am) of the photoshoot to double confirm their directions and to make sure they have no transportation problems.

I'm getting over 90% attendance rate from all models who are booked.  I think the key is 'multible contacts' combined with meeting the model prior to the shoot... wink

Feb 28 06 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

I still say the best way to guaranty they show up is to kidnap a member of their family until after the shoot.  Just make sure it's someone they want back.  Don't take a boyfriend or husband.

Feb 28 06 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

Well, out of 9 scheduled models, I've only had one not show up. I contacted her a month or so later, and ended up scheduling and shooting her the second time around, so I consider my record perfect. wink

However, I am *not* a professional, I do *not* have a studio, but I *do* love to shoot. I guess the contacts that don't go anywhere don't stick in my head, so I am only left with the models who commit AND show up.

Feb 28 06 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

What does it take to get models to show up?

An agency? yikes  wink

Feb 28 06 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Contact their mommy or daddy and make sure they know what day and time the shoot is to take place.  Tie a string around their finger as an extra measure of remembrence. 
They will took at that string every day until the day of the shoot where they will turn to mommy and ask to be driven for the shoot and for a dollar for milk money.

Seriously, welcome to internet modeling.

Feb 28 06 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

R.J. Walker

Fairmont, Illinois, US

tell them you're giving away free shoes

Feb 28 06 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

Be polite, courteous and positive while talking to them, whether it is in person, on the phone, or via email. Schedule a meeting with them (if time permits) at a neutral location (coffee meetings), as a method of establishing a basic commitment between the two of you. If they will meet you for the low-risk,low-time commitment coffee meeting, AND you impress them in person (while at the same time determine if you can work with THEM), then you should have less trouble getting them to show up.

Treat them with a bit more respect than the average message on this thread suggests they deserve. wink

Feb 28 06 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

WATERSTREETNORTH

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

What's wrong with this picture?
I hate to be the smart ass here, but many actually pay me to photograph them. Thay pay me a retainer and they DO show up.

Feb 28 06 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Dave Krueger wrote:
I still say the best way to guaranty they show up is to kidnap a member of their family until after the shoot.  Just make sure it's someone they want back.  Don't take a boyfriend or husband.

This is so very true.  A photographer kidnapped me once to get my girlfriend to show up for a shoot.  I ended up staying so long, we started to see each other as roommates.  Sad, so very sad...

Feb 28 06 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

Dave Krueger wrote:

usually the pet dog, or cat works best. [lol]

Feb 28 06 08:10 pm Link

Model

_Kimberly

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Select Models wrote:
3.  I demand a cell phone number that they can be reached at (and EVERYONE has a cell phone these days).

So you won't shoot a model who doesn't own a cell phone...?

Feb 28 06 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

candy usually works. yeah I know " don't feed the models!"

Feb 28 06 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

JT Hodges

Austin, Texas, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
This is so very true.  A photographer kidnapped me once to get my girlfriend to show up for a shoot.  I ended up staying so long, we started to see each other as roommates.  Sad, so very sad...

Well at least you've learned photography while in captivity. Must have all worked out for you.

Feb 28 06 08:13 pm Link

Model

Jenna C

Montpelier, Vermont, US

How about this problem?
I've had photographers that contact me stating they want to hire me.  If I would like details and more information I should email them back.
So, I contact them back, and no answer!!

If you're going to send me an email stating that you want to hire me for a project and tell me to email you back if I'm interested.  Then I do, and you don't respond, what the heck is going on???

I understand about models not showing up.  I've never cancelled a shoot, never not shown up, and have great references from photographers and companies!!!

Shame on them!!!!
Models like that give me a bad name.

Feb 28 06 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

I chase em down with my lasso and round em up in my white unmarked van. Yeeehaw.

Actually constant communication works for me.

Feb 28 06 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

Charge them.  Its amazing how little TFP models respect my time- yet girls who pay me- they show up and are ready without fail.

-Jose

Feb 28 06 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

sibyl wrote:
offer money and they will come..tongue

Nah, I had three out of six models No Show for a paid shoot last weekend.  Money has nothing to do with it.  Professionalism does.

Feb 28 06 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

Rudolf Klassen

Niverville, Manitoba, Canada

Hey I can feel with you.I had both yesterday & today stand me up.Guess what ,they were both freebees.I normally charge $400 for a shoot and then they most always show up.I guess I learnt my lesson fast,OK in 2 days.Take a deposit when you book a shoot with me and then we'll do the big shoot  Rudolf

Feb 28 06 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

AllenA

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Lets see... you've got a great portfolio, and you have 'interested' models who won't actually finalize a shoot date.

I've got a CRAP model portfolio, and I have 'interested' models who won't actually finalize a shoot date.

I may just go back to shooting landscapes.

Nahh...

Feb 28 06 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Rudolf Klassen

Jenna you are the kind of model I like working with.

Feb 28 06 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Rudolf Klassen

Jose I kind of agree with you.

Feb 28 06 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Wayne Collins Photos

Largo, Florida, US

I have been shooting for about 40 years. It is the nature of the business, models are the most unrelieable part of the business. There is nothing that will change the nature of the models. Money is a good way to get them there but money does not make them professionals. Just move on and get another model.

Feb 28 06 08:36 pm Link

Model

Jenna C

Montpelier, Vermont, US

Thanks
I think all anyone asks is for professionalism.
It doesn't matter if you're a professional, amateur, paying, nonpaying, whatever!

Follow up, answer any questions (both the model and the photographer), understand the agreement, and everyone show up early and be more than prepared and psyched to shoot!!!

This is why I do this full time.  I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 28 06 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

I take them to dinner after the shoot  - give a hungry model a rack of ribs after a shoot  - you own her

Feb 28 06 09:35 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Oh Look! Another model bashing thread!  Photogs having a problem with models showing up?  Maybe they aren't really models?  Maybe what you really booked was a cable TV repairperson? ...Or plumber, or some other GWB (Girl/Guy w/ Body)?  Why is it that so many people group professional working models with the wannabes and non-performers? 

Easy Solution: Check working references of the models you hire.  Just like you would with any other service provider.  If your shoot is critical, why on earth would you not have reliable talent booked.  If you are just playing around, then call it as it is:  The trouble you are experiencing is with people who are wannabe models.

Feb 28 06 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Select Models wrote:
4.  I contact them via phone one week before, and one day before, to confirm their attendance.
5.  I call them on the morning (10 or 11am) of the photoshoot to double confirm their directions and to make sure they have no transportation problems.

I'm getting over 90% attendance rate from all models who are booked.  I think the key is 'multible contacts' combined with meeting the model prior to the shoot... wink

Ouch.

Imagine what office or factory job management would be like if they had to do that much work to get 90% of their staff to come to work every day. sad

I've been pretty lucky; the two no-shows I had were both for the same--paid--shoot, and both had confirmed within 12 hours of the start time. Neither answered their phoneS--I had 2 numbers for each one.

The 3rd model had shown up, and worked much harder to compensate. By the end of the day, we'd managed to get all the images, and she ended up being the only model in the whole 'new products' part of the catalog. (And a very relieved client booked her for a lot of other jobs!)

Feb 28 06 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Bowman

Taos, New Mexico, US

"Charge them.  Its amazing how little TFP models respect my time- yet girls who pay me- they show up and are ready without fail. "

*snap!*

"Nah, I had three out of six models No Show for a paid shoot last weekend.  Money has nothing to do with it.  Professionalism does."

*two snaps and a twist!*

I feel like i've just replied to another poor soul in another thread.

Look, call, email, something regardless of the negotiations of the shoot; paid or unpaid.

Oh that goes for both parties by the way tongue

Feb 28 06 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

_Kimberly wrote:

Nope... I mean come on... I know kids in junior high school that have cell phones.  It's a 'business necessity' in Southern California... especially in this industry.

Feb 28 06 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
Oh Look! Another model bashing thread!

Actually Jay, I didn't see this as a model bashing thread at all.  If I had, I would have said something and not posted.  I saw this as a guy, posting in a non-offensive way expressing frustration.  Frustration and bashing are different things.

There is a factual reality.  Reliability is an issue.  Ask Iona Lynn.  She is a model and she also helps me out.  She did the booking for last weekend and had her eyes open.

So, while I understand your reaction, this time I don't see a bash on the part of the OP.  The other fact is that it is an issue that we all have to deal with.  I wish their was an answer.

For me it is a great frustration.  I don't do TFP.  Even though I pay all my models, I still have trouble getting them to show up.

That having been said, the problem isn't exclusive to models.  I also rent two studios.  Photographers often no show for rentals as well.  The worst thing is when a photographer no shows at the studio and the model is waiting.  That happens.

Oh well.

Feb 28 06 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

Dave Krueger wrote:

Great, 10 minutes spent cleaning up sprayed coffee from keyboard, and screen...How come I never thought of that?

Feb 28 06 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

artist

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Dave Krueger wrote:

You're not offering enough incentive.  How big a paycheck are you offering?

In the late '80's and early '90s, we still had no-shows for 4-6 hour shoots (mostly outdoors on location, we provided travel and food) for $200 flat fee. That wasn't bad money back then -- or even today, for that matter.

Still had lot's of no-shows. 

$125 4-hour in-studio shoots, loads of no shows.  Again, we provided a "pleasant" atmosphere, and one studio had full facilities from kitchen to bedroom -- and we had some models crash for the evenings.  No charge. 

What does it take?  I think it has more to do with the phases of the moon, the configuration of the stars, and meteorologic and atmospheric events than anything else.

Scott
aka Bodyartist

Feb 28 06 11:11 pm Link

Model

Stacy

Englewood, Florida, US

Select Models wrote:

I'm on TFCD basis right now. but I would like to emphasize #3-5. Keeping in touch is your best bet if you are having bad luck with models not showing. I do this with my photographers because in doing modeling for only 5 months now, I have had 2 photographers completely forget about me, and so I learned (and also learned from my 8-5 job as a sales person) that the best bet is FOLLOW UP, Follow up, follow up.

Feb 28 06 11:13 pm Link

Model

Model Klau Dia

Los Gatos, California, US

+ Compensation which is Unique and Valueable. +
usually + $$$.

Note: I tend to put certain assignmetns on the back burner and by back burner I mean probably never and by certain assignments I mean photographers who ask if I will also take my clothes off and do "tasteful nudes" (without additional compensation... or at all).

Did you mention anything that could have pushed her or offended her even if by mistake?
Did you list all things necessary in a response that you require clearly... Dates & Times of Availablility, contact info, etc etc etc. ?

If you answered NO to the first and YES to the second give her one last FIRM chance and then call it as it is, a failed attempt and the loss of the model.

Good Luck!

Feb 28 06 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

What does it take to get models to show up?

The possibility of fame and fortune?

Feb 28 06 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

artist

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

_Kimberly wrote:

I never thought of that... but today, that would be a requirement   

Do you know how many times models get lost going to the most well known locations?  Then they get flustered, and just go home.  If they would only _CALL_ we'd tell them to just lift their hand and knock, we'll open the door.  Ok, it wasn't that bad, but we did have one model freak out about not being able to find us, and she did have a cell phone, and I was standing on the porch looking at her in the parking lot..... oh well.   She had a toy pooch of some sort in her over-sized bag (and this was in 1993 or abouts) and he seemed to be the brains of the operation -- at least he saw me.

I didn't really want her for her brains.

The cincher???  She had alphabet blocks in her bag, and pulled them out to play with between sets.    The song lyrics "The lights are on, but no one's home" kept playing in my mind.   

True... and that's not the "oddest" of my experiences with models, cell phones (or lack there of) and showing up in the right place, at the right time, on the right day.

Scott
aka Bodyartist

Feb 28 06 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Los Angeles, California, US

Shoot at her place, but make sure to tie her to the doorpost!

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Mar 01 06 04:35 am Link

Photographer

Philip Barker

Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas

We talking about REAL models or some wannabee bimbette?

Mar 01 06 04:52 am Link