Forums > General Industry > How Do You Introduce Yourself to the Girl on the Street

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

Just a quick "excuse me, Hi, my name's ***** ****, I'm a photographer-I'd be really interested in photographing you for a project I've been working on.  Here's my card, there's a link on the back where you can see some work samples and contact information.  Thanks." 

nothing more, nothing less, the ball is in their court-

the hardest place is the subway, or other involuntarily confined space- everyone's there because they have to be- not because they want to be.  A coffee shop, store, maybe on the street, would probably be more sucessful.

J

Jun 25 05 04:15 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm friendly, extroverted, and will talk up anything - the taxi cab driver, the homeless guy, a rock wink But I've been told numerous times that I'm very intimidating and unapproachable. I think there are two ways you can go about it:
1. Strike up a conversation, be pleasant, smile, make eye contact, keep casual. If there seems to be a connection, then ask about the photography and modeling.

A good way to start is by helping - help her with a bag of groceries, hold the door open for her, etc. Manners and politeness go a LONG ways.

In short, study the success of serial killers, like Ted Bundy, and you'll be on your own path to success.

-or-

2. Be direct, to the point, and not overly flattering. Keep it strictly business.

Do NOT:
* slap them a business card
* mumble
* jingle your pant or lower coat pockets, particularly near your grion region
* avoid making eye contact
* fidget side to side and flit your eyes to the sides

Jun 26 05 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

There's always this tried and true style to impress the ladies:

http://www.richardsfault.com/sounds/wickedweasel2.mp3

(copy/paste link into browser)

Jun 26 05 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

RDDphotos

Dallas, Texas, US

Posted by Monsante Bey: 
I normally snatch their purse, run 5 blocks and dump it in a post office box with my card in it.

LOL, Now thats funny!

Jun 26 05 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

HenryS

BRONX, New York, US

Posted by Sara Green: 

A good way to start is by helping - help her with a bag of groceries, hold the door open for her, etc. Manners and politeness go a LONG ways.

In short, study the success of serial killers, like Ted Bundy, and you'll be on your own path to success.

That gave me a good laugh - "Study the success of serial killers".  Of course the irony is that there's probably a good deal of truth to that

Jun 26 05 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

We have special 'invitations' that are about the size of a wedding announcement, that say "you've been scouted ... invitation to contact us about a photo shoot, etc."  And if I or someone from our studio sees a potential, I or we give the model an invitation to a test shot and a business card.  They can email, check out our website, or phone us for more information.

Cheers, Tim at Portland Filmworks

Jun 26 05 06:16 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

Posted by HenryS: 
That gave me a good laugh - "Study the success of serial killers".  Of course the irony is that there's probably a good deal of truth to that

Beware me wit wink

Jun 26 05 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

ThruMyLens Photography

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

First off, douse yourself with liquid pheromone to make yourself "totally irresistable to women" (or the male version for female photographers). Then, make sure you have your business card with the subliminal hologram on it (that says, "you want to pose nekkid").

Squirt a dose of Bianca breath freshener in your mouth, and approach your victim...er, model. By the time you say, "hello" and hand over the business card, it' all but a done deal!

....sorry for those whose sense of humor has been surgically removed, but humor is ALWAYS appropriate. smile

Seriously though, I would think looking clean-cut, being polite and curt, giving a brief compliment and handing over a business card is about all you can do in anything except a social situation. Expect to never hear back, appreciate the few who follow-up.

Jun 26 05 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

After all this discussion of cameras as an index of seriousness, I think I'm gonna start carrying my 8x10 Cambo Legend with me whenever I go to the grocery store. I'm sure that everyone'll know I'm "for real" when they see my sherpas following behind me carrying the film boxes and lights and stuff! smile

mjr.

Jun 27 05 10:20 am Link

Model

Victoria E B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Okay, by now there are several responses to your question...not all helpful, but still. I was recently approached while at my college library. The guy was obviously a little unsure about his approach, which actually helped a little. He wasn't trying to be Mr. Suave or anything. He did not have a card on him, but handed him me some contact info on a piece of paper. I must admit, regardless of the fact that he seemed geniune, the lack of a professional card made me think it was a cheesy pick up line. But, to my surprise, he returned within ten minutes and handed me his card! He repeated that he would love to work with me. I was flattered, and I did contact him! I haven't worked with him yet, but we'll see.

Jun 27 05 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by CameraSight: 
You could of gotten away with approching a stranger on the street many years ago when Pro photographers had their expensive Nikons, Canons or  Hasselblads and the rest had their poor quality amateur Kodak  Instamatics or 110 cameras but today everybody is a "photographer" using their $200  4 megapixel point and shoot digital camera.  I am in the process of putting a web address on by business card so models can see my work.

I use a 4mp camera [actually i paid about $300 for it].  I also use a slew of $20 toycameras, a 50 year old 4 x 5 press camera with a cracked ground glass, two 30 year old Canonet rangefinders and a paper pinhole camera that a friend sent me from Japan.  If pricey gear were the mark of a "photographer" then I know a lot of GWC's with money who would be winning the day.

Jun 27 05 11:16 am Link

Photographer

SML photography

San Diego, California, US

i would have to say when i leave the country be it Eastern Europe or South America, woman are alot more comfortable and willing to be photographed.  especially in public especially at beach (topless no less) they just don't care.  and like to be asked to be photographed since it just doesn't happen there and in places were they don't stand out as being the only beautiful girl on the beach.  I would have to say if you want to use the approach of goign up to a stranger on the street then leave  america and you will be vERY successful.. in America, (if the girl is sober LOL) it's not that easy.  it's difficult to just meet someone on the streets of midtown manhattan on a good day.  Everyone has there own thing going on and doesn't want to be bothered.  but if you do approach just say. "you have a great look, if you are ever interested in being photographed feel free to call me (give card) and feel free to see my work on my website, good day" and yes it has worked.

Jun 27 05 11:33 am Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

Posted by CameraSight: 
You could of gotten away with approching a stranger on the street many years ago when Pro photographers had their expensive Nikons, Canons or  Hasselblads and the rest had their poor quality amateur Kodak  Instamatics or 110 cameras but today everybody is a "photographer" using their $200  4 megapixel point and shoot digital camera.  I am in the process of putting a web address on by business card so models can see my work.

You mean I didnt have to spend $2K for my digital camera, and another $1.5K for lenses?  Dam.. I shoulda bought that 199.00 camera at Wal-Mart.

Jun 27 05 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Monsante Bey: 
I normally snatch their purse, run 5 blocks and dump it in a post office box with my card in it.

I'm going to try that more often!

Jun 27 05 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by AndrewG: 

Posted by CameraSight: 

You mean I didnt have to spend $2K for my digital camera, and another $1.5K for lenses?  Dam.. I shoulda bought that 199.00 camera at Wal-Mart.

You got lensES with $1.5K????  smile

Jun 27 05 03:56 pm Link