Forums > General Industry > GWC's and AWS's [Rant]

Photographer

Perc Powell Studios

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:
personally, a studio a necessity for any professional photographer..there are to many variables to contend with when you are paid to deliver images. (read the thread where all the photogs and models were having shoots cancelled cause of weather)..if you cant control the environment, theres no way to deliver images on a consistant basis.

secondly, i let my images do the talking..i dont ever tell anyone how good i am based on my resume, cause at the end of the day..if your images are just ehhh....its doesn't matter who you worked with or where you've been.

in this business. the image is everything..

Feb 26 06 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

Perc Powell Studios

Doug Swinskey wrote:
personally, a studio a necessity for any professional photographer..there are to many variables to contend with when you are paid to deliver images. (read the thread where all the photogs and models were having shoots cancelled cause of weather)..if you cant control the environment, theres no way to deliver images on a consistant basis.

secondly, i let my images do the talking..i dont ever tell anyone how good i am based on my resume, cause at the end of the day..if your images are just ehhh....its doesn't matter who you worked with or where you've been.

Feb 26 06 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

Perc Powell Studios

Doug Swinskey wrote:

Feb 26 06 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Blue Photography Studio wrote:
Maybe its because they are tired of you wanna be photographers mucking up the biz.  Maybe they don't like it when you show up on their door step asking "How can I get to where you are, Can I work for you? Will you teach me?  I just bought a camera and I am taking pics of my half naked wife and some smutty fats chicks i met on the internet, half naked and poorly executed, do you want to see them?"

When that happens, here is what you should do.  Now pay attention. 
Tell them to, "Go away".

These people (your clients) aren’t hiring "real photographers" because they know their are countless GWC out there, that will do it for pennies and nickels.

Yeah, and cars put a lot of horses out of business...

What you don't know, is how much that pisses off the guys you say won't have anything to do with you or are to stuck up.  Not because your taking biz away from them, but because you wal-mart the market.  You sell crap for a cheap price.

Do what every other industry does when threatened by an increase in supply.  Get a law passed that requires photographers be licensed.  That way you can cut down on the competiton and go back to changing those high rates.

When you spend 6 years in school studying photography, and then go onto work an internship (for free in most cases) for 6 months to a year. While working 2 part-time jobs just to eat and live. Then venture out on your own with loans up to 100,000 dollars in equipment, insurance, and advertising.

Perhaps you should have become a doctor.  It sounds like it takes about he same amount of education and training.

Feb 26 06 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Ramblin Studio

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Dave Krueger wrote:

Maybe its because they are tired of you wanna be photographers mucking up the biz.  Maybe they don't like it when you show up on their door step asking "How can I get to where you are, Can I work for you? Will you teach me?  I just bought a camera and I am taking pics of my half naked wife and some smutty fats chicks i met on the internet, half naked and poorly executed, do you want to see them?"

When that happens, here is what you should do.  Now pay attention. 
Tell them to, "Go away".

These people (your clients) aren’t hiring "real photographers" because they know their are countless GWC out there, that will do it for pennies and nickels.

Yeah, and cars put a lot of horses out of business...

What you don't know, is how much that pisses off the guys you say won't have anything to do with you or are to stuck up.  Not because your taking biz away from them, but because you wal-mart the market.  You sell crap for a cheap price.

Do what every other industry does when threatened by an increase in supply.  Get a law passed that requires photographers be licensed.  That way you can cut down on the competiton and go back to changing those high rates.

Perhaps you should have become a doctor.  It sounds like it takes about he same amount of education and training.

I think your missing the point.

Feb 26 06 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

I think your missing the point.

I think you're having a bad day and you're trying to spread it around.

Feb 26 06 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Perc Powell Studios

Hi Doug,

We've never met. And therfore I'll preface this reply by saying that I like your work and hear from mutual models and MUA's that you're a very nice guy.
That said:
I disagree that a studio is an "Absolute Nessecity for a professional Photographer". Personally I feel that if a phtographer has developed his rep on "location" photography he or she would not take "studio" shoots. If a shoot were going to be called for whether it's easy to reschedule not to mention the client probably picked that photog. for their location style and therefore moving into the studio to shoot would be irrelevant. I do however feel that any "professional" (makes their living at photography) photographer should be versed in studio lighting techniques. I must also add that the vast majority of shooters with studios in the Tampa area don't know sh** about studio lighting.. at least not by what I have observed on these sites. They seem to have taken a Dean Collins or Monty Zucker seminar and now think they know it all.

As far as "image being everything" I feel that if you were refering to the images they create then I absolutely aggree. However, the images they create aren't the end ... come in late on an assignment or over budget or simply don't have the training to pull off the art directors illustration of the finished photo and see how long your portfolio keeps you working with that client or ad agency.  If "Image" meant having a studio. I couldn't disagree more.

Hope to meet you someday,

Perc

PS. sorry for the multiple responses without reply... my computer mouse is sticking lately.

Feb 26 06 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

perc powell photographs wrote:

Doug Swinskey wrote:

Doug Swinskey wrote:

Wow!!  Look at him go!

:::snicker:::

Feb 26 06 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

You might need a few years of photo school.

Gosh you sure sound partronizing. or whatever that word is. No, you sound like a dork. that's what I meant to say.

GWC!

Feb 26 06 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

Ramblin Studio

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Hi Doug,

We've never met. And therfore I'll preface this reply by saying that I like your work and hear from mutual models and MUA's that you're a very nice guy.
That said:
I disagree that a studio is an "Absolute Nessecity for a professional Photographer". Personally I feel that if a phtographer has developed his rep on "location" photography he or she would not take "studio" shoots. If a shoot were going to be called for whether it's easy to reschedule not to mention the client probably picked that photog. for their location style and therefore moving into the studio to shoot would be irrelevant. I do however feel that any "professional" (makes their living at photography) photographer should be versed in studio lighting techniques. I must also add that the vast majority of shooters with studios in the Tampa area don't know sh** about studio lighting.. at least not by what I have observed on these sites. They seem to have taken a Dean Collins or Monty Zucker seminar and now think they know it all.

As far as "image being everything" I feel that if you were refering to the images they create then I absolutely aggree. However, the images they create aren't the end ... come in late on an assignment or over budget or simply don't have the training to pull off the art directors illustration of the finished photo and see how long your portfolio keeps you working with that client or ad agency.  If "Image" meant having a studio. I couldn't disagree more.

Hope to meet you someday,

Perc

PS. sorry for the multiple responses without reply... my computer mouse is sticking lately.

I agree.

Feb 26 06 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Ramblin Studio

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

GWC wrote:

Gosh you sure sound partronizing. or whatever that word is. No, you sound like a dork. that's what I meant to say.

GWC!

Really?  Nice photos, Do you own the domain www.gwc.com?  I doubt it.

Feb 26 06 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Really?  Nice photos

Yeah!!! I took photography school for like 12 years, dude!!!

When I am a rich and famous photographr and everyone is
buying my books and I am signing autographs I'll let you
carry my luggage 'n light stands.

Do you own the domain www.gwc.com?  I doubt it.

Um, yeah, totally!! it's an ad site I run temporarily - I get like $.50 every time someone goes there. Thanks for posting the link!! If enough people follow it I wil be able to buy like a new oil filter for my ferrari!

GWC!

Feb 26 06 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

GWC wrote:
My next book after that is tentativly gonna be called "30 cheap hotel rooms"

GWC!

Sorry, I've already gotten the ISBN assigned for that name.

-Don

Feb 26 06 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

Equipment doesn't mean shit.
A studio doesn't mean shit.
How many models you manage on OMP doesn't mean shit.
A 3 page resumé of years of training, years "in this business", clients, magazines, being Ilford's top 100 photographers in the world, being published, or that you were the first one to shoot the groundhog coming out of his hole and he saw his shadow............ doesn't mean shit.

What counts is:
1. YOU like the images YOU produce.
2. You're a decent human being.
(and its a bonus if you're a funny cool dude who likes to drink some Pabst Blue Ribbons and nibble on some peanuts at the local gin mill)

ps
Judge folks by meeting them in person, not based on this smoke & mirror dog & pony show  we call the internet smile

note, post not aimed at OP or anyone in particular..... just an observation.

Feb 26 06 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

WBV Artography

San Antonio, Texas, US

Don't remember where I heard this:

A photographer goes to dinner at a friends house.   Meet the friends wife and eventually she wants to see his work.

Goingthrough his boook she 'Ooohs' and 'Ahh's' over his photos.

She remarks how he must have some very expensive equipment to take such good images.

He says nothing and they eat.   Dinner is very good and afterwards they chitchat for a bit, as he is walking to the door he turns and tell the wife-

"Dinner was very good!   You must have some expensive pots and pans to cook it!"

Feb 26 06 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

WhiteBears Visions wrote:
He says nothing and they eat.   Dinner is very good and afterwards they chitchat for a bit, as he is walking to the door he turns and tell the wife-

"Dinner was very good!   You must have some expensive pots and pans to cook it!"

U can tell it wasn't ME!!! LOL!!! I'd have been like:

"Dinner was very good!!! Will you do TFP with me? I'd like to see U with your shirt off!!!!  I am like a pro photographer with a STUDIO and have taken 12 years of photography school like so I am really professional!"

Feb 26 06 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Duvall

Seattle, Washington, US

Is AWS taken as a handle here? If not what should my avatar be, a picture of my door? Im so snooty I do the whole bohemian artist thing and live in my studio too.

Feb 26 06 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

WBV Artography

San Antonio, Texas, US

GWC wrote:
U can tell it wasn't ME!!! LOL!!! I'd have been like:

"Dinner was very good!!! Will you do TFP with me? I'd like to see U with your shirt off!!!!

Are you my roomate hiding on the other computer?   Actually did that to someone in my family-needless to say he's no longer welcome around my family.

I'm not standing up for the GWC's-plenty to talk about them which I see everyday here.

I'm talking about the AWS's that think their shit doesn't stink because...

If you fall into that then I can see how you might be offended.  Can you?

Feb 26 06 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Perc Powell Studios

Eric S. wrote:
Equipment doesn't mean shit.
A studio doesn't mean shit.
How many models you manage on OMP doesn't mean shit.
A 3 page resumé of years of training, years "in this business", clients, magazines, being Ilford's top 100 photographers in the world, being published, or that you were the first one to shoot the groundhog coming out of his hole and he saw his shadow............ doesn't mean shit.

What counts is:
1. YOU like the images YOU produce.
2. You're a decent human being.
(and its a bonus if you're a funny cool dude who likes to drink some Pabst Blue Ribbons and nibble on some peanuts at the local gin mill)

ps
Judge folks by meeting them in person, not based on this smoke & mirror dog & pony show  we call the internet smile

note, post not aimed at OP or anyone in particular..... just an observation.

Feb 26 06 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

That was good.  I hope I remember it.  But, alas, I know better.  I don't remember shit these days...

Feb 26 06 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

my quote was: "THE image is everything", ie:the final image, the work produced.

my resume doesnt count for anything, if my images are crap..i wont get the job.(unless i was terry richardson) no amount of who i was, who i worked for and where i've been means a thing. so listing them is meaningless. (and quite frankley, pretentious)

i shoot products, people and processes. there is no way i can shoot a "varaible frequency drive" at the beach or a park...i cant shoot actor or corporate headshots in the rain. ect....

my studio is an invaluable tool..
so my point is, i dont know how any professional photographer can work without one. there is no dependable income shooting on location in my market...i have to be capable of shooting anything my clients want me to shoot..

Feb 26 06 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Ballinger

Ogden, Utah, US

I've seen so many threads that touch on this.
Basically, i love to shoot. I'm not the best, nor am I the worst.

I worry about my photog work and nobody elses.

If I run into attitudes from either side, i just move on to the next person.

Feb 26 06 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

I'm going to ignore much of the vitriol along the way, and answer the original post.

It's just as difficult to make a lousy photo in a studio as it is outside, it's just a different set of issues.

It's just as easy to make a great photo in a studio as it is outside, it's just a different set of issues.

I like location shoots. What I don't like is the running around getting permission to shoot--different building owners, tenants, city and county permits, etc. If I were still doing primarily journalism, it wouldn't be an issue. If I were going to shoot guerrilla-style, it wouldn't be an issue, either, but where I live, that's hard to pull off successfully; there's a pretty heightened awareness of anyone with a camera, especially if the subject "looks like a model" or if there's any "professional" looking gear involved. (Which includes a sheet of foam core or a tripod!)

I like studio shoots. What I don't like is having to create/pull-togehter all the set designs, parts, and props, and the  limited space typically available.

I just find it dissapointing to see some of the 'tude ciming from these 'photogs'.

As do I. But creating a new acronym to mock those who appreciate studio work and try to make it sound as though they're all jerks--especially after a long list of self-congratulatory citations--doesn't help. It's the same kind of attitude in the opposite direction.

If you don't want to shoot in a studio: don't. There's a lot of options that are much harder in a studio than on location--but don't insult everyone who prefers shooting in a studio because a handful of studio shooters are jerks; there's even more jerks who don't shoot in a studio.

Feb 26 06 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

Bluefire

East Tawas, Michigan, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

Image is everything!!! Love it, and agree with it whole-heartedly! And I love shooting outside of a studio! Real life lighting, with it's nuances, takes a very trained eye to recognize and use. It is something that is difficult to reproduce in the darkness of a studio. But talk about awesome - when the sunset is perfect and you balance the flash just right. It doesn't get any better! The word that comes to mind is 'harmony.'

The process may not be consistent, but oh so rewarding!!!!!

Feb 26 06 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

WBV Artography

San Antonio, Texas, US

I definatly agree-images is everything and there are many on here I find to be excellent shooter in and out.

I don't meet many location photogs and on occaision a studio photog except in events.

My acronym probably isn't the best because it's too pointed at one set-not what I meant to do.

Really I think I just dislike assholes in general-I can read even on this thread with those that dissagree or agree and determine who I'd be happy to shoot the shit with and who I wouldn't by their answers.

Feb 26 06 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

Perc Powell Studios

Doug Swinskey wrote:
my quote was: "THE image is everything", ie:the final image, the work produced.

my resume doesnt count for anything, if my images are crap..i wont get the job.(unless i was terry richardson) no amount of who i was, who i worked for and where i've been means a thing. so listing them is meaningless. (and quite frankley, pretentious)

i shoot products, people and processes. there is no way i can shoot a "varaible frequency drive" at the beach or a park...i cant shoot actor or corporate headshots in the rain. ect....

my studio is an invaluable tool..
so my point is, i dont know how any professional photographer can work without one. there is no dependable income shooting on location in my market...i have to be capable of shooting anything my clients want me to shoot..

Actually, listing them lends credibility. All "major" clients are going to require credibility in your resume. Photographers who shoot great images are a dime a dozen. A top ad agency, cleint, etc. will require proof that you have delivered the goods before and will again for them. They probably will even contact those references. All or most photographers start out shooting as a "jack of all trades" and slowly, over time work into a specialized field. I would certainly aggree that Tampa is not the area to support any photographer who limits his or her shooting to one area.... I didn't. My career started in NY as an apprentice photographer for Hamilton McQueen Studios ( a cataloge house ). I shot mainly location photography specializing in people I.E annual reports (Bausch & Lomb)/fashion (Hanes lingerie & Speigel)  and eventually Travel Liesure (Best Western, US Air). I new the first time I shot an inanimate object in a studio it wasn't for me. I love people and that is what I geared my portfolio so show. I loved shooting people ON LOCATION .. thus my book was reworked to show no studio work at all.. Becasue it's what I WANTED TO SHOOT!. God, If I HAD to shoot things I didn't like just to eat I'd pick a different profession. And as a note to any beginning photographer who happens to be reading this thread .. Don't shoot what you don't like and build your book to show only what you like to shoot .. whatever it is. Otherwise you're going to be one miserable photographer.
As far as being pretentiuos in listing my credentials... I don't think so. first and foremost it lends credibility to me now for any young lady who is considering paying her good/hard earned money to shoot with me.. providing her a peace of mind that if I pulled it off for years (20+) for Hanes Lingerie, Speigel, and so on that I can probably do a good job for her.
I'm semi - retired now (actaully retired from photography as far as depending on it to eat) I don't even charge the girls I help 90% of the time for anything but expenses MUA - prints Etc. I am shooting for the love of it now. I have access to a 4000 sq. ft. studio any time I want it, not to mention more equipment and lighting (20,000+watts of norman) than any 5 studios Iv'e seen around here (not that being an equipment junkie should mean a thing either, I just accumulated it over time) but shoot there rarely as it's not what I CHOOSE to shoot.
I'll end by saying that as far as I'm concerened there is only one rule that applys univerally to ALL photographers
"FIND OUT WHAT WORKS FOR YOU AND STICK WITH IT!"

Perc.

Feb 26 06 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Richard E McGuire

Tampa, Florida, US

Doug what’s up bro, how the hell are ya. Ok back to this rant thing. Ok Studios. If Perc has shot for Revlon without a studio good for him. Do you have to have a studio nope but it sucks when you have to rent one to shoot the big clients out there. Do I have one yes in fact two. One in Tampa and one in NYC and I could not make it without either one to be honest although the one in Tampa is more trouble than it is probably worth lol. That said If the original guy is mad about new models, or old models, or GWCs or whatever else he is mad about I would suggest marketing yourself a different direction using different tools. i.e. check into getting a photo rep and actually working in the real print national level. Check out some of the searches on the internet i.e. blackbook.com or workbook.com and check into some of the more serious photography sites. You will also find if new models or shall we say internet models in general are bothering you step up to the plate and work with companies that have you shoot agency models. There is no problems with them as they know what they are doing. Now of course if you have problems with a couple of them it may end up being something you are doing.
It amazes me what I read in these forums. I would STRONGLY suggest spending the time marketing one's self instead of getting worked up in the forums. However of course you do have to stop and read these for a big laugh once in a while as well. haha Have fun guys keep working on your images, keep up the good work and well see ya on the other side. Ciao

Cheers,

Richard E. McGuire - photographer
(Lifestyle, Fashion/Beauty, Editorial, Advertising)
http://www.RichardEMcGuire.com
http://www.workbook.com/portfolios/mcguire
813.786.6333 Florida
917.673.2170 New York
Represented by:
USA:
Keith Finger UpRoar-Reps.com
HongKong:
Lydia Li 852.2890-6970

Feb 26 06 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

Imagine - John Lennon

Feb 26 06 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

Richard E McGuire

Tampa, Florida, US

Tony Culture Photoz wrote:
Imagine - John Lennon

Life is what happens when you are busy planning
John Lennon

Feb 26 06 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Perc Powell Studios

Hello Richard,

Never met you either... Hope to one day... Definately understand why the Tampa one is a liability...   

I agree with your comment on spending more time marketing and less on these sites. Kudos!
The rep comment was another good piece of advice. Many photographers probably don't have a clue that there is such a thing as an artists represetative for photogaphers.

I wish to take a moment to say that when I shot for Revlon, and the others listed on my page I was in NY and did have a studio there from 1985 - 1994. The address was 363 Park south. 6th floor.   where is yours? I still keep in touch with Hamilton Mcqueen .. the owner of the cataloge house I started at originally in 1982 so I'm back in the city often... would love to see it if were ever there at the same time... I'll be up in April. I don't shoot many commercial clients anymore.. BB&T bank, Best Westerns Sea Wake resorts, and Occationally the Bucs and Hooters.... that's about it...maintained my own here for a while (till 1998 here on Automobile Blvd by the Clearwater/St. pete airport while I had Dillards and their art dept. was in the Tyrone Mall Store. don't want one anymore... being somewhat retired from photography.

good to hear from you.. good luck and good shooting.

Perc
(727) 259-8559

Feb 26 06 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Richard McGuire wrote:
Doug what’s up bro, how the hell are ya.

not bad rick..how you doin?...weren't you supposed to buy me lunch the other day?

Feb 27 06 06:16 am Link

Photographer

Richard E McGuire

Tampa, Florida, US

Yeah man, call me this week sometime and well getter done. Ill be back in NY next week so fire me a call when you get this and we will figure out a day and time to grab some chow. I gotta watch what I eat because Marlene wants me to have my 6 pack thing going on. Go figure lol. haha Why would a girl want a guy to have a 6 pack I wonder hahaha.

Feb 27 06 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Rich Meade

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Yes, I am mad.  I have a right to be mad.  I read on here all the time GWCs bagging on photographers for being asses, for "not helping foster the advancement of the art"  But what they really mean is "They won't play with me! They won't tell me I am a good photographer!  They won't play nice! They have a studio and a business and won't relpy to my email and my constant posts to their photos, well the must be jerks then!"  They don't see you a competition, are you kidding?  (you did get the comparison right however, a chef and a women at home with a microwave)  That chef doesn't see the women as competition, she is a fly and sometimes fly's get in when you leave the door open. If you don't take care of them they usually just go away, but annoying as hell!

I took all my contact info off of MM because I kept getting to many flys.  They are dirty and bad for Biz.

well... I  feel like tis attitude is what photographers can do without...   whats the harm in talking with someone for 30 min... looking at their book and giving input.... I have been told by world class photographers and Local professionals, that My book needs work... and other negatives... very few postives...  on the other hand... I have gotten possitive reviews and job offers from my book...    I'm not judging the photographer on his/her critique... I'm coming by.. emailing... calling... just to get an educated real world opinion of my work.. and perhaps how i might improve.... whatever response that may entail.

the AWS's  are the ones that won't even answere an email to say.. they are busy... or never return a call... or a myriad of other things... that aren't necessary.   I was just told by a photographer I emailed David Bellemere (you can see his work at www.blanpiedrubini.com), and here is the copy and paste of that email (he is french so.. the english is a little broken):

I wish you will be full (not half) the photographer you are.
photographing is a question of choice in every step. shoot to choose what
you like because what you like it is you are like, here is your style. That
is the best way to bring something which gonna interest the other, your
originality. do not think to much, let the other do, if you are photographer
your heart gonna choose. The best is to product a lot, even you have the
feeling to shoot the things 1000 time, doesnot matter, important you love to
do it. It is a beautifull job, I do not say it is easy, do not forget you
are lucky to be passionate, share what you learn, share what you see.
Do not ask yourself 'what is your style??', just shoot more and more and
more.

Enjoy
DavidB

this is an example of a photographer... who has every right to just snub off anybody knocking on his door or email... but took the time to respond to a fan.   That is what we all should consider when an aspiring photographer knocks on our door.

Feb 27 06 02:39 pm Link