Forums > General Industry > while i'm on my "high Horse"....

Photographer

Studio M Photography

SOUTHWEST, Pennsylvania, US

I know a lot of people in the industry are in it to be creative, artsy. whatever, and I applaud that...but I know those same people aren't just doing it for fun....WE ALL WANT to MAKE $$$...and most have chosen to make a career of this.  Sooooooo   what pisses my off is the fact that I quote a new model a very reasonable session for her portfolio and the next "jac*@ff comes right behind me and undercuts me or even worse offers to do TFP/CD...I know as an aspiring model with little to No $$$ which are you gonna you take....but its crap like this that drives the fees we (photogs) are able to charge....and I'm sure models have the same problem on their side.....

Feb 26 06 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f7/Simple_supply_and_demand.png/320px-Simple_supply_and_demand.png

Feb 26 06 11:49 am Link

Model

Jeri Lynn Astra

Pleasantville, New York, US

Models certainly have the same problem, to some degree. There have definately been debates on here regarding rather TFP helps or hurts the industry, and of course everyone has their own opinion on it.

The thing about a portfolio, it's more than just one good photoshoot. It's a lot of tear sheets with some quality photos in there, and from my understanding those pictures aren't from just one person- unless the agency has a staff photographer and has you redo your book using those.

If sucks to feel like your services are being overlooked for someone willing to do TFP, understandabley frustrating. I haven't looked at your pictures, so honestly nothing I'm saying here is meant on a personal level. I've paid for quality portfolio shots, I've done the MUA thing, etc.... and those photos are beautiful. But I have some equally beautiful shots from TFP sessions. I use both. I want my book to show variety, and by choosing pictures from several different photographers, I'm able to do that.

Feb 26 06 11:51 am Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f7/Simple_supply_and_demand.png/320px-Simple_supply_and_demand.png

LOL, Brian.  A diagram is worth a thousand words.

Feb 26 06 11:52 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Free market forces!  The Internet has changed things for the better and the worse.  But for that matter, so has the digital camera.

Feb 26 06 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Studio M Photography wrote:
I know a lot of people in the industry are in it to be creative, artsy. whatever, and I applaud that...but I know those same people aren't just doing it for fun....WE ALL WANT to MAKE $$$...and most have chosen to make a career of this.  Sooooooo   what pisses my off is the fact that I quote a new model a very reasonable session for her portfolio and the next "jac*@ff comes right behind me and undercuts me or even worse offers to do TFP/CD...I know as an aspiring model with little to No $$$ which are you gonna you take....but its crap like this that drives the fees we (photogs) are able to charge....and I'm sure models have the same problem on their side.....

You sound like a Union leader big_smile  damn scabs!

Feb 26 06 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Sienna Hambleton

Toledo, Ohio, US

It's really simple. Trying to earn $$$ on the web for portfolio work with models is a zero sum operation. You're just going to become more frustrated. Either offer land-based portfolio and photography services or find a way to sell art prints or shoot the adult stuff. Those are pretty much your options.

Feb 26 06 11:58 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

heres the deal...you are not in a fashion area dealing with fashion models.
you are in a commercial print area...
every guy that has a digital camera shoots glammer (note i didn say glamour).
models in our area need commercial print looks...99% of the gwcs not only dont have a clue  what commercial print is and they wouldn't be interested in shooting it once they found out.....thats where the dollars are..
selling yourself to commercial clients or shooting commerical print images for models..

FYI:
glamour images are worthless to the local models...completely worthless..you wont see glamour images on any comp card from any local agency..

so let the GWCs do the glammer until the cows come home..theres not a penny in it..go after the work, where there is money to be made..

Feb 26 06 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

john knight

Farmington, New Mexico, US

Doug,great portfolio and I agree , I am buying books galore on commercial and Fashion stuff, and trying to learn it. I also refuse to buy the big ticket digital cameras, anything I have shot has been done with my old canon eos650's and film and whatever low price studio equipment i can pick up, I have a passion to learn photography and not digital manipulation. I may not be very good now but I believe in taking the time to learn and do the best job I can, and then I will have the liberty to gripe about money and fees.......we all have to start somewhere and and unfortunately some get very arrogant, but it is the true to hearts that will be here in the end......

Feb 26 06 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:
FYI:
glamour images are worthless to the local models...completely worthless..you wont see glamour images on any comp card from any local agency..

so let the GWCs do the glammer until the cows come home..theres not a penny in it..go after the work, where there is money to be made..

What Doug said!

Also, if your work is appealing for commercial use, you will get models who are tired of the internet-TFCD/TFP vicious circle... some may get lucky with a commercial photographer who is going to test with them or so...

But... I'd say almost all of them will get tired of constantly doing the free shots and the results are mediocre, or artistically fantastic, but won't get 'em signed with any agency.

That's one of the problems for models... they can shoot with same great artists... but it's not what is useful in the models book.

So,... just be persistant... try to get published with commercial work, hey even small magazines maybe, doing a designer's spread for a publication... EVEN if they don't pay much... which is often the case... but, when talking with models... you have one major advantage... you are published... media "approved" your work... and that may give some of those models who go for cheap or free, well... give them some ideas.

Feb 26 06 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
Free market forces!  The Internet has changed things for the better and the worse.  But for that matter, so has the digital camera.

I think the internet has changed everything for the better.  Those who are suffering the most are the buggywhip makers who resent Henry Ford.

And I am in it for the fun and to make beautiful things - nothing else. 

-Don

Feb 26 06 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

What good does whining do? If you want to make money with your camera you have two options:

1. Become Ansel Adams, or at least Helmut Newton.

2. Start shooting Weddings, or Sports Events (expect to be under paid for shooting Sports, especially at first).

You can hallucinate about a perfect world in which you get paid what you are asking for when shooting models but reality will rear it's ugly head every time.

PS Ask the models if this happens to them, or if they are actually making any money with their clothes on. Most of them don't get anywhere either and talent has very little to do with it.

Have fun, shoot pictures.

Feb 26 06 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

Damn those Founding Fathers and their desire to create a country of free market capitalism and democracy!!

Feb 26 06 12:41 pm Link

Model

Jeri Lynn Astra

Pleasantville, New York, US

Michael Longeneker wrote:
Have fun, shoot pictures.

I love this tag line! I want it on a tank top or something. So true. (Though I never complain about the money when it comes around!)

Feb 26 06 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Eric S. wrote:
Curse those Founding Fathers!

Easy to say for someone on the top of the photographers foodchain... smile

Feb 26 06 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

Creativity Farm

Westville, New Jersey, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

I think the internet has changed everything for the better.  Those who are suffering the most are the buggywhip makers who resent Henry Ford.

And I am in it for the fun and to make beautiful things - nothing else. 

-Don

Curse you Henry Ford!!! (I lost a bundle on buggywhip maker stock)

Seriously, like Don, I now shoot for the sheer joy of artistic expression. But when I was shooting professionally (back in the days of film), I don’t remember model portfolios being a big money maker (acting head shots were definitely more profitable).  Portfolio shoots were something I did for fun, to let me reconnect with my artistic side.

I also remember that it didn’t matter what type of photography (wedding, corporate, etc), there were those photographers who would have lower prices, and those clients who wanted the cheapest shooter possible.  The cheaper the client, the more they wanted.  The cheaper the photog, the less quality they were able to deliver.  I finally learned that while it might seem I was missing out on money by letting these two groups work together, I was saving a ton of aggravation.  People who know, and need quality, expect to pay for it.

Feb 26 06 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

lol.
I'm still giving $300 from EVERY paid test shoot to the Humane Society.
Problem is, models have no money...

Feb 26 06 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

William Coleman wrote:

LOL, Brian.  A diagram is worth a thousand words.

Ditto  smile

Feb 26 06 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I'm sorry you aren't getting any support for your rant, and I'm afraid I don't have any support to offer you.  It is a supply-demand situation, and you just can't complain about competition undercutting your rates -- complaining will not do you any good.

Question for the group:  For the sake of this particular discussion, let's assume that "professional" means "a person who earns most of their livlihood from exercising their photographic craft".  (And that means that someone earning a little extra cash while being supported by their spouse doesn't count.)

What percentage of the photographers on MM are "professional"?  I really have no idea, but I'm going to guess almost half.

What percentage of the models on MM are "professional"?  Again, I have no idea, but I'm going to guess less than 5%.

Why is this important?  I'm guessing that the models here on MM typically don't have gobs of cash to invest in establishing & promoting a "professional" model career, meaning that they can't afford to hire photographers on a regular basis, and they can't even afford the time it takes to do TFP/TFCD very often.

So, I guess I'm saying that there isn't a lot of money in creating images for a model's portfolio, and it doesn't surprise me that models balk at doing a lot of TFP/TFCD.

Feb 26 06 12:56 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Blame Sony, Epson and all the other digital imaging folks that have made photography a low cost comodity.  Your business model of relying on models for revenue is about 10 to 20 years out of date.

Feb 26 06 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

what pisses my off is the fact that I quote a new model a very reasonable session for her portfolio and the next "jac*@ff comes right behind me and undercuts me or even worse offers to do TFP/CD...

I'm that jac*@ff, and proud of it.

When I first began advertising my photography services (portraits & weddings), a well-established local contacted me, gave me his price list, and said "Here's what you'll charge. Don't make waves."  I burned it right in front of him, then I went home, looked over my expenses and business plan, verified that I could charge quite a bit less than him and still make a profit, and then made absolutely sure my prices were lower than his.  After my first year in business, which did indeed turn a profit, I sent him a thank you card.

If someone else can survive and be more competitive than you, more power to them.  You'll either change or die.  If they think they can, but they're wrong, then you just have to out last them.  Either way, it's nothing to be pissed off about. It's just a free market.  Get over it.

Feb 26 06 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

I know a lot of people in the industry are in it to be creative, artsy. whatever, and I applaud that...but I know those same people aren't just doing it for fun....

I am.

WE ALL WANT to MAKE $$$...

Not me.  In fact, based on the evidence, it looks like I'm doing this to go broke.

Sooooooo   what pisses my off is the fact that I quote a new model a very reasonable session for her portfolio and the next "jac*@ff comes right behind me and undercuts me or even worse offers to do TFP/CD...

If you're talking about mainstream modeling, then maybe you should make an arrangement to work with referrals from a local brick and mortar agency, assuming your work compares well to other photographers that they use and assuming there are agencies in your city...

If you're talking about internet modeling, then refer to the supply and demand chart posted above.

-Dave

Feb 26 06 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Tim Hammond wrote:

I'm that jac*@ff, and proud of it.

Holy shit! If you're stealing business from a guy in Florida, then you're my new hero.  big_smile  (j/k!)

Tim Hammond wrote:
It's just a free market.  Get over it.

Right on.  Although you didn't have to sugar coat it like that.  LOL!

Feb 26 06 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:
heres the deal...you are not in a fashion area dealing with fashion models.
you are in a commercial print area...
every guy that has a digital camera shoots glammer (note i didn say glamour).
models in our area need commercial print looks...99% of the gwcs not only dont have a clue  what commercial print is and they wouldn't be interested in shooting it once they found out.....thats where the dollars are..
selling yourself to commercial clients or shooting commerical print images for models..

FYI:

Absolute truth.  Sadly, most people will probably disregard it.

Feb 26 06 01:38 pm Link

Model

Autumn Bleuu

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Well I can relate to what you're saying.  But TFP/TFCD can be a good thing for those who don't have the funds to pay or hire someone to get started and keep going.  But at the same time it can over whelm, and out source good potential paying jobs that give opportunity for some to earn a living or partial living off of what they love to do (modeling or photography).  However, I see this being a bigger issue for models, than it is for photographers.  I get more messages and e-mails from photographers that want me To HIRE them.  Than I actually receive offers to BE HIRED as a model. 

I get contacts for more tfcd's with request for photo shoots involving me being desired to wear bikini's, lingerie, and implied nudity. If I request monetary compensation....the photographer/s all the sudden  not as eager to work with me as before or anymore.  Why? Because there are too damn many models out there that will take their cloths off and shoot for free.  Big mistake. I think models ought to demand to be paid for at least doing bikini, lingerie, and implied nudity if they're already established a bit as a model and have some experience.  If you're new and need to build your portfolio, than doing tfp/tfcd for bikini/lingerie/implied nudity is okay.  But once you have a decent/nice portfolio...ladies please stop shooting with your cloths off for free.  You only hurt the general standard of the way things should actually be.

Feb 26 06 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

There are always people that are going to do it cheaper and better than you. Either find a way to move up or quit bitching.

Feb 26 06 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

VirtuaMike wrote:
There are always people that are going to do it cheaper and better than you. Either find a way to move up or quit bitching.

Reminds me of a nice moment from the film "Million Dollar Baby".  Hillary Swank, a boxer, is getting whipped in the ring.  The round ends, and she sits on the stool, frustrated & whining.  Clint Eastwood, her manager, indicates Swank's opponent & says, "She younger than you, she's stronger than you, and she's more experienced than you.  What are you going to do?"  The next round starts, Swank gets up & we watch Eastwood, the crowd goes wild, and Swank returns to stand next to Eastwood while the ref counts her opponent out.

Love that moment.

Feb 26 06 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Hoot

Picayune, Mississippi, US

I know a lot of people in the industry are in it to be creative, artsy. whatever, and I applaud that...but I know those same people aren't just doing it for fun....

I'm up for fun. If at some point I make a little cash, that's ok too, but it's not a priority for me. Most of the models in my port got "free" shoots.

WE ALL WANT to MAKE $$$...and most have chosen to make a career of this.

Umm, no, this is the internet. Most of the photographers you find on the internet aren't trying to make a living from photography. If they are, they soon learn that pesky diagram and move into the brick and mortar world, or if they don't, they starve.

Sooooooo   what pisses my off is the fact that I quote a new model a very reasonable session for her portfolio and the next "jac*@ff comes right behind me and undercuts me or even worse offers to do TFP/CD...I know as an aspiring model with little to No $$$ which are you gonna you take....but its crap like this that drives the fees we (photogs) are able to charge....and I'm sure models have the same problem on their side.....

Thanks, I've been shopping for a new nick-name!

Seriously, I would (almost) never intentionally cut another photographers throat like that, but how am I supposed to know?

Oh, and by the way, especially given your rant, what's up with this on your MM page?

at this time I am looking for a limited number of TFP/CD models.

https://bestsmileys.com/nono/2.gif

That's it, I ain't accepting the name no more.

Feb 27 06 12:37 am Link

Photographer

Steven Starr

Fort Mill, South Carolina, US

Farah Malika wrote:
Well I can relate to what you're saying.  But TFP/TFCD can be a good thing for those who don't have the funds to pay or hire someone to get started and keep going.  But at the same time it can over whelm, and out source good potential paying jobs that give opportunity for some to earn a living or partial living off of what they love to do (modeling or photography).  However, I see this being a bigger issue for models, than it is for photographers.  I get more messages and e-mails from photographers that want me To HIRE them.  Than I actually receive offers to BE HIRED as a model. 

I get contacts for more tfcd's with request for photo shoots involving me being desired to wear bikini's, lingerie, and implied nudity. If I request monetary compensation....the photographer/s all the sudden  not as eager to work with me as before or anymore.  Why? Because there are too damn many models out there that will take their cloths off and shoot for free.  Big mistake. I think models ought to demand to be paid for at least doing bikini, lingerie, and implied nudity if they're already established a bit as a model and have some experience.  If you're new and need to build your portfolio, than doing tfp/tfcd for bikini/lingerie/implied nudity is okay.  But once you have a decent/nice portfolio...ladies please stop shooting with your cloths off for free.  You only hurt the general standard of the way things should actually be.

Ah..but the tear sheet. 

I have shot several "nude" models (for free) that "do" normally get paid on a regular basis.  Models want to be in print just as much as photographers.  It seems to drive more work their way and benefits them in the end.  They get something that the large majority do not...themselves in print.

Don't get me wrong...I'd love to be able to pay every single one of them and will be able to eventually.  But shooting for exposure doesn't seem to hurt "the general standard of the way things should actually be".  Furthermore, where are those standards listed anyway?  LOL

Feb 27 06 12:55 am Link

Photographer

J Haig

Gananoque, Ontario, Canada

I remember back in the bad old days when I shot mostly weddings.  There was always another up and comer ready to do the job for less.  Ditto any other area.
Nature and wildlife photographers, a field never known for it's tendency to make millionaires, have taken a shitkicking from the plethora of well-heeled hobbyist photographers.  Doctors, dentists and lawyers buy big glass and head off to the hotspots, and many come back with images worthy of publication.  The thrill of seeing printed work is far more alluring to them than the paycheck, so it hurts the market.  But life goes on.
Aerial photography was always a profitable part of my business, but in the last few years an ultralight pilot with his own plane has been taking a big chunk of the local business.  No use in crying about it...but I've adapted a more aggressive marketing strategy.  That, and bought a little voodoo doll.

Feb 27 06 12:58 am Link

Photographer

Studio M Photography

as "Hoot" pointed out I do have a 1 line staement on my profile that I am accepting limited number of TFP/CD sessions.   Yes I do shoot TFP/CD from time to time....when I want to try out something new...or test new equipment.  But on average..I am contacted ny 6-8 models per week saying they are interested in shooting with me....maybe its because I really suck and they figure "we" are both at the same level....don't know.  But unless I am currently looking for TFP I usually can sell them on a paid shoot of some kind.   
   So "Hoot" whats UR point??

Feb 27 06 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Hoot

Picayune, Mississippi, US

as "Hoot" pointed out I do have a 1 line staement on my profile that I am accepting limited number of TFP/CD sessions.   Yes I do shoot TFP/CD from time to time....when I want to try out something new...or test new equipment.  But on average..I am contacted ny 6-8 models per week saying they are interested in shooting with me....maybe its because I really suck and they figure "we" are both at the same level....don't know.  But unless I am currently looking for TFP I usually can sell them on a paid shoot of some kind.   
   So "Hoot" whats UR point??

Well, "Studio M Photography" I find it ironic that a photographer offering TFP on at least two websites will go on a rant against photographers that shoot TFP. Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it too.

Then again, from your statement above, it sounds like you're running a "bait and switch" kind of thing, dangling the idea of TFP and then selling the models on a paid shoot. Well, if you (as you claim) generate 4-6 paid gigs a week from it, it works for you, so no need to worry about what I think.

Coming into a community and calling most of the photographers here ""jac*@ff" probably isn't the best way to introduce yourself. As has been pointed out by almost everyone posting in this thread, your assumptions that "we all" are here to make money and "most have chosen to make a career of this" are way off base. Maybe a little market research would help you avoid that kind of faux pas.

But hey, it's a TFP (err, free) country. Don't let me hold you back!

Feb 27 06 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Studio M Photography

let's address the irony you see....the rant is not against anyone that shoots OR models for tfp...per se...its the people who are driving the value of the profession down...but hey if you are comfortable giving away your work...more power to you. someone stated above they don't do it for $$ and in fact they tend to lose money....maybe we shouldn't have to lose $$$??  I would be just as pissed if it were a "low baller" with a wedding or portrait session...but just like modeling sessions you get what you pay for....
  2) and again TFP on a select and limited basis or if I need to experimant or test new equipment(thought that one was a no-brainer)...TFP is not just so I can shoot "pretty girls"....99% of my stuff is paid...may not be many gigs but paid. FYI I really don't like cake, I prefer pie.
  As far as bait and switch....don't know how you figure that.  If you go to McDonalds...do they not try to "upsell" you the supersize?  You know what you get for $3.00 but for .50 more you get even more....you can always say "no thanks" but how many ever really do??  That's sales and Marketing 101! And I know reading isn't a strong suit for many Mississippians...but I said I am contacted by 4-6 people a week, not that I shoot them all...If its any of yo biz...I might shoot 3-4 tfp or paid a month combined....model stuff is not my main income producer, just what I enjoy the most.
  and I have called no one in particular a jac*@ff..that would entail calling them by name...and sounds like you are the only one who took it that way. maybe  someone fits the "low baller mode". and I never assumed anything about anyone as to why they are here..photog or model.

Feb 27 06 03:57 pm Link

Model

Brandon Smith

San Diego, California, US

As far as bait and switch....don't know how you figure that.  If you go to McDonalds...do they not try to "upsell" you the supersize?  You know what you get for $3.00 but for .50 more you get even more....you can always say "no thanks" but how many ever really do??  That's sales and Marketing 101!

As a model myself, the quickest way to a turn off is to be offered one thing and then asked to do another.  If you offer it as a freebie (more or less) and then try to upsell to a paid shoot you'll have another thing coming (essentially an open time slot).  Personally, I'm not yet in the "biz" for the money (if I was I'd be broke and hungry), I'm just working on building an industry acceptable portfolio....If a photographer has a strength, concept, or artistic quality that I particularly enjoy AND they're willing to do that as a trade.... I'm game.  It isn't that I don't (or haven't) paid for the services of a photographer....I'd just need to know it up front so I can make a decision on whether or not the cost is equally worth it to me.

Feb 27 06 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Th OP has a point but this is the new paradigm

In 1992 1996 when web pages were a mystery I made $$$$$ building them
Now, every snot 12 year old can do it. Even my kids
So I dont build web pages anymore.

I wrote 100K of code that is now in India maintained for $tiny per hour.

I feel the pain of quoting a price and someone  says 'my cousin has a camera he can do it for free'.  So I dont do the TFP market. I work on building corporate customers.
Even that market is dwindling - the rea estate market is full of GWCs also

Those of us who do NOT do this parttime - we have full time costs and studio costs - feel the new paradigm in our pocketbook -hard!

So it is unprofessional while a pro is talking to a customer to open your mouth right then and there and go "I can do that for free'

Do it on your own time!

Feb 27 06 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Studio M Photography

Brandon
   I feel what ur sayin...let me do a quick explanation....If a model CONTACTS ME looking for TFP/CD If its something or one I am interested shooting I will let them know what is offered and waht they will get...ex cd, or # of prints, ammount of my time, number of looks, poses etc... My TFP is very minimum in what a model gets usually a set number of final images, set # of outfit changes and set max time for shoot.  My pkg's that I charge for offer more a lot more.  I am not pushy or offer a hard sell...but I do educate them as to why they might want more than say 1 outfit, more images etc....they can always decline and take the TFP?CD option.  Let me stress this is when they CONTACT ME.  if I initiate contact it is strictly TFP and I never ask for $$$.

Feb 27 06 04:59 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

I know as a model I'd finally like getting paid for my talent it's been 3 years WHERES THE MONEY? How much longer must I model to earn pay? TFP is nice and all but 3 years of TFP it's getting out of hand.

Feb 27 06 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I'd guess I'm one of those people who make you crazy.  I work exclusively on a time for images basis for the time being.  Why?  Because I'm brand new, pretty much everything is still a test for me.  This is how I explore and learn.  I don't see any of the talented and experienced shooters losing business because of me, though, which is why your post stumps me.  If a model needs a certain kind of portfolio development, and needs it now for a specific purpose, she isn't going to come to me.  I more often work with either a) new models, for whom my work is a step up from snapshots, or b) established models who are either willing to give a newbie a chance out of the goodness of their hearts, or are interested in doing something different from what they usually do.  (They're often art models or hobbyists, for whom the next paycheck doesn't depend on me being reliable and consistent.)  I'm shooting with an amazingly beautiful, talented, and experienced model next month who has already said that if I bungle absolutely every image, she doesn't care, because she just thinks it'll be fun to shoot with a girl for once, and she's doing it for the experience, not the photographs.

People like me aren't taking your business.  The photographers who can consistently deliver portfolio development images that will actually benefit a model in her career path (which takes some knowledge of what's needed with her goals - not all pretty pictures are equal) generally charge for that kind of work.  Just like you.  I really doubt you have all that much to worry about.

Feb 27 06 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

And I know reading isn't a strong suit for many Mississippians...

I don't think Floridians have any room to talk, considering they voted GWB in =P

Feb 27 06 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

i would never give drugs to a horse

Feb 27 06 06:23 pm Link