Forums > General Industry > Multiple Bookings

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

I've noticed at the aiports, rental cars, and other places, they often overbook in anticipation of no shows.

I said to myself "Wow, wouldn't that be a relief if we could do that in the modeling world?" Then I said why not.

So when I used to do TFCD in abundance I decided that I'm going to book 3 or 4 on the same day and time just in case I get the invariable "no show" factor. It worked out pretty well.

As expected, 1 or 2 would usually not show or cancel last minute and the 1 or 2 who did show didn't mind sharing the time or often shot together and even became friends.

I guess I just wanted to know what every else's thoughts is on this as I may pick up more TFCD come Spring and Summer.

Feb 23 06 06:48 am Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

no takers, huh?

Feb 23 06 08:01 am Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Can't say that I've done it, but I may start when it gets warm. Usually, we start to get spring fever, and forget a few things.

The reason I haven't is because I trusted that the model would show up like she said she would.

When I shoot on location, I can't overbook. We usually have our ideas, wardrobes, and locations already together. They usually differ from model to model, so overbooking wouldn't work.

If shooting in the studio, it's a little different. I've had some tight schedules with the models, but when one backed out, I was able to shoot the other one longer than I had planned.

Feb 23 06 08:08 am Link

Model

chrisstinna

Lincoln, Nebraska, US

ha ha! I actually think that's a good idea

Feb 23 06 08:08 am Link

Photographer

Charlie Schmidt

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Greetings

I do not "over" book...but I do book back to back.
I like to try the same thing with different models, so when I pick a location or a set, I will book two [sometimes three] different models, I pack the van, plan to stay most of the day, and make the best of it.

It is an interesting thought...I have two models that want to do some combined work with another model...double booking may be the solution..

Charlie

Feb 23 06 08:17 am Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Kansas City Media Group wrote:
Greetings

I do not "over" book...but I do book back to back.
I like to try the same thing with different models, so when I pick a location or a set, I will book two [sometimes three] different models, I pack the van, plan to stay most of the day, and make the best of it.

It is an interesting thought...I have two models that want to do some combined work with another model...double booking may be the solution..

Charlie

back to back doesn't work for me since my sessions lasts a while

I'm glad I was able to give you an idea though - lol

Feb 23 06 10:42 am Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

I've had only 1 no-show so far...and I knew it would be so I tried to double-book that day but noone was available. For some reason in this part of the country, getting the initial response can be tough, but once they say they want to shoot and we setup a date, the models seem to take it pretty seriously.

Feb 23 06 11:03 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

And what happens when all four models actually show?

Feb 23 06 11:25 am Link

Makeup Artist

Marcia Dionne

Frisco, Texas, US

I think that it is an awesome idea.  I get so annoyed when shoots get canceled or rescheduled cause the model didn't show up.  Always good to have a back up!

Feb 23 06 11:28 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

I would be pissed if I set up a shoot and when I got there I was informed the photographer booked 3 other models.

Feb 23 06 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

I've rotated out three models at a time - it gave them more time to prepare their next look rather than hurrying because they knew I was waiting on them.  It was very hectic for me though. 

Occasionally they knew each other and did not like each other - then it was one shoot at a time.  But that was rare.

Just have room for all and everyone gets their own saucer of milk so that the cat fights keep to a minimum.

Feb 23 06 11:42 am Link

Model

Sonya Marie

Tucson, Arizona, US

I say if you know how to use your time wisely and say all 4 models showed up and you were able to give each model their fair share of time and pics and possibly do things together as well, without wasting the models time then go for it!

If all those things didnt happen and I sat on the sidelines for an hour or more while you took pics of a model when I could have been doing something else and showed up later I would be pissed.

And thats all I gotta say about that..hahaha

Feb 23 06 11:43 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

00siris wrote:
I've noticed at the aiports, rental cars, and other places, they often overbook in anticipation of no shows.

I said to myself "Wow, wouldn't that be a relief if we could do that in the modeling world?" Then I said why not.

The answer is simple.  Any model that "no shows" gets a center seat on their next three flights and has their rental car downgraded to a Kia.

That will solve the problem.

Feb 23 06 11:56 am Link

Photographer

megafunk

Los Angeles, California, US

I mostly double book with an hour stagger time.

Feb 23 06 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I love shooting one look while another model is in hair and makeup.  It's more efficient, and the crew isn't just sitting around while I'm shooting (and vice versa).  Plus, there's always the possibility for groups and such...

Feb 23 06 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

old account delete

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

I'm only getting into photography with people in the last couple of months, and just did my first model shoot last weekend.  My background is with process mapping, data analyst and project management.  I guess because I don't have a photography background that I just found it natural to book 9 girls for 6hrs, 3 per 2hr time slots.  Just like someone said, while one model was being photographed, one was on deck and one was changing/checking her make-up.  Since the studio and the lights were rented, I had max. out the cost/benefit ratio of the shoot.

The only thing that fell apart was that I wasn't able to keep similar skin tones in the same time slots, which was a concern for possible white balance issues (my RAW files are too big and slow).  I had to base the shoot on model availability.  Still, for a first shoot, I thought it went pretty smoothly. There wasn't any real down time, and my feet are still sore.  I did take 15 minutes for 3 slices of pizza.

Feb 23 06 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Nemi wrote:

Parte'

Feb 23 06 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Nemi wrote:
I would be pissed if I set up a shoot and when I got there I was informed the photographer booked 3 other models.

I totally understand this sentiment. However, I never said that I wouldn't inform the models before hand. Also, it's a TFCD - I'd NEVER do this when a paying client is involved unless requested

Feb 23 06 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I'll probably start doing this when I get moved into my new place and can leave my equipment set up all day... and have more time... but I'd definitely tell the models I planned to shoot several in one day.  I wouldn't want it to be a nasty surprise to anyone.

Feb 23 06 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I love shooting one look while another model is in hair and makeup.  It's more efficient, and the crew isn't just sitting around while I'm shooting (and vice versa).  Plus, there's always the possibility for groups and such...

ABSOLUTELY

Feb 23 06 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

00siris wrote:

Parte'

Word.

Feb 23 06 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

LMAO

Feb 23 06 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

00siris wrote:

back to back doesn't work for me since my sessions lasts a while

I'm glad I was able to give you an idea though - lol

Not trying to be funny, but if you work on staying within a certain time frame per model, ESPECIALLY if it's TFP, then you can do back to back and not cheat anyone. The model that ends up getting more shoots will be the one that comes before the one who cancelled or "no showed."

Feb 24 06 12:22 am Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Just did a multiple booking and almost everyone showed up - the result ..........
WE HAD A BLAST

perfect perfect perect

Feb 26 06 09:30 am Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

00siris wrote:
Just did a multiple booking and almost everyone showed up - the result ..........
WE HAD A BLAST

perfect perfect perect

Cool!!!

Congrats!

Feb 26 06 11:18 am Link

Model

Jeri Lynn Astra

Pleasantville, New York, US

There are times when, with the photographer's permission, I have brought another model along. It's nice to have some prep time to get a new outfit together, change hair and make-up, have a drink of water, etc and generally by the time I'm done with with that it's my turn to shoot. Plus another model can help spot things like tags, help with posing, etc from a different perspective from the photog and isn't being obtrusive because it's their time as well. It never hurts to have some shots with others too, since it shows you play well with others and all that. I've done shoots with models selected by the photographer as well, and it has thus far always been a really fun experience. It's nice to meet others in the industry, and I find it makes for a relaxed and all around good atmosphere.

However, I would not be happy about a photographer booking other models without letting me know beforehand. Starting off with a certain level of distrust isn't going to create the kind of communication nessecary to capture "the shot".

Feb 26 06 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

AstraDivaJ wrote:
There are times when, with the photographer's permission, I have brought another model along. It's nice to have some prep time to get a new outfit together, change hair and make-up, have a drink of water, etc and generally by the time I'm done with with that it's my turn to shoot. Plus another model can help spot things like tags, help with posing, etc from a different perspective from the photog and isn't being obtrusive because it's their time as well. It never hurts to have some shots with others too, since it shows you play well with others and all that. I've done shoots with models selected by the photographer as well, and it has thus far always been a really fun experience. It's nice to meet others in the industry, and I find it makes for a relaxed and all around good atmosphere.

I love this model !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please don't get me wrong though - it would not be cool for me to blind side anyone. All models know exactly what I plan on doing BEFORE the shoot.

Feb 26 06 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

C Alexander

Murrieta, California, US

I think I will try that
I usually go to the local shoot to get a model though they are already into modleing and they aare more likly to show

Feb 26 06 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

C Alexander wrote:
I think I will try that
I usually go to the local shoot to get a model though they are already into modleing and they aare more likly to show

COOL

Feb 26 06 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

worked again

Mar 04 06 07:51 am Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

chalk up another success - YIPEEEE!

Mar 19 06 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Malameel

Dallas, Texas, US

When there is a client, I sometimes double book if the project is big enough.  I just do not trust models anymore.  Sorry to sound so low, but I always show up. 

Its not even a pay thing, I have had models not show up to paying gigs that include tear sheets.  Just silly...

Mark

Apr 02 06 12:54 am Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Mark S. Alameel wrote:
When there is a client, I sometimes double book if the project is big enough.  I just do not trust models anymore.  Sorry to sound so low, but I always show up. 

Its not even a pay thing, I have had models not show up to paying gigs that include tear sheets.  Just silly...

Mark

Wow - that's gotta suck - I don't I really had any no shows for paying gigs but I have some cancels - which is OK

Apr 02 06 06:40 am Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

00siris wrote:

So when I used to do TFCD in abundance I decided that I'm going to book 3 or 4 on the same day and time just in case I get the invariable "no show" factor. It worked out pretty well.

As expected, 1 or 2 would usually not show or cancel last minute and the 1 or 2 who did show didn't mind sharing the time or often shot together and even became friends.

I guess I just wanted to know what every else's thoughts is on this as I may pick up more TFCD come Spring and Summer.

I would shot with you and i would show up too.  Since there is a great possiblity of shared time ..how do you give each person some individual shots?

Apr 02 06 06:49 am Link

Model

Ellynyn

Bristol, Connecticut, US

Nemi wrote:

This happened to me. I know a lot of photographers "overbook" but all of us showed on a particular day and it was a mess. None of us had "quality time" with the photographer, there were people running around everywhere and a lot of confusion as to who was supposed to be where at what time...*shrugs*

I can see how it works and it can be a good idea, but also factor in that everyone might show up and what you're going to do if that happens!

Apr 02 06 07:32 am Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Neyrissa  wrote:

This happened to me. I know a lot of photographers "overbook" but all of us showed on a particular day and it was a mess. None of us had "quality time" with the photographer, there were people running around everywhere and a lot of confusion as to who was supposed to be where at what time...*shrugs*

I can see how it works and it can be a good idea, but also factor in that everyone might show up and what you're going to do if that happens!

Yeah I See what you're saying - but believe me, I'll never book more than I can handle - that's just not cool.

None of my models has ever had a problem - I guess it's just a matter of organizaton and professionalism

Apr 02 06 07:41 am Link

Photographer

Kandi Carol

San Francisco, California, US

Nemi wrote:

I would agree, as a former model and current photographer. I think that's disrespectful.

To me, that's the price of doing photography. Sometimes you win and sometimes you don't. It's all about numbers.

You won't EVER have it all 100% of the time. You learn and you don't work with them anymore. It's like dating. I never gave a second chance.

That's my two cents. Whether you wanted it or not!

Apr 25 06 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

Eugene Breaux retired

Saint James City, Florida, US

In my career I have booked thousands of models. In the pro world we most always over book models for a shoot. There is no such thing as a cancelled shoot because a model does not show up!! Do you realize the amount of money that would be lost? In the thousands, ad agencies would not hear of it. And the modeling agencies know it a model is late they are sent home with no pay, let the agency get on them, and believe me they do.

Makeup and wardrobe take a lot of time anyway, you start shooting while the rest are getting ready and changing. I don’t see the problem. If there is confusion on the set the photographer does not know what they are doing if they can’t direct the crew and have everything running smoothly.

With independent models they must have done test shoots with us 1st before we hire them for a paying job. With testing if they don’t show up at the preproduction meeting they don’t do the shoot and go on the black list, never hired.

This is the real world of photography, might as well learn to do it right now when you are starting off. You must have 100% all the time you use your backups to create that.

PS  the more people on the set the better the party afterwardsï?Š

Apr 25 06 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

ACPS Inc Eugene Breaux wrote:
In the pro world we most always over book models for a shoot.

Which "pro world" is that?  It certainly isn't true in my experience, and the first time you did it on a commercial job you'd have both an agency and a client breathing hard down your ass.

Apr 25 06 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Eugene Breaux retired

Saint James City, Florida, US

TXPhotog wrote:
Which "pro world" is that?  It certainly isn't true in my experience, and the first time you did it on a commercial job you'd have both an agency and a client breathing hard down your ass.

I don’t know what kind of agencies you work for, I am talking major clients, so you just cancel a $20,000.00 shoot if a model doesn’t show, well maybe that’s the way they do it in Texas. But in my 20+ years of commercial photography I have never cancelled a shoot because of a model.

Apr 25 06 07:55 pm Link