Forums > General Industry > Why say "No Nude"?

Photographer

Olaf S

Allentown, Pennsylvania, US

Interesting....

Back before I was jaded(!) I took the time to contact some of the models who said "no nudes" in their bio, but then showed nudes or partial nudes in their portfolios. I would ask "how come you've done this?"  In all cases they said something like "oh...yeah, I didn't think of that. Thanks" and they took them down.

Strange but true.

Feb 21 06 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Amanda Jeanne wrote:
I think maybe this gives the model a chance to only discuss nudes with photographers she would actually want to shoot them with.

Bingo for 95%.

Feb 21 06 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Starr

Fort Mill, South Carolina, US

Ched wrote:

Bingo for 95%.

But that kinda defeats the purpose of putting "no nudes" on the port : )

Feb 21 06 10:22 pm Link

Model

The Thorny Rose

Chicago, Illinois, US

Amanda Jeanne wrote:
I notice that too and do find it a little weird ... though I have had girls tell me that the instant you put one nude/semi nude picture in your profile, the nude requests seem to skyrocket.

I think maybe this gives the model a chance to only discuss nudes with photographers she would actually want to shoot them with.

Yes, that's why I haven't uploaded any to mine yet... I've had some done and they're fairly good.. but if a photograper really wants to do them that bad, he/she should notice that in my profile and contact me and i'll be happy to share... its a different approach, but it definitely saves me from the "hey wanna get nakie and take pictures" requests...

Feb 21 06 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

SLE Photography wrote:
Not to seem rude, as what you cite is a perfectly acceptable personal choice for not posing nude, but I was just wondering why your parents would be more concerned with nudes than bi-pride images with your girlfriend.  I don't mean that as a criticism of you or your parents, I'm just genuinely curious.  Most of the folks I know would have more trouble with the bi-pride pics.

paleosam wrote:
I'm not out to them completely thats why.

Ok, forgive me, that makes even less sense.  You won't pose nude because you're concerned your parents might see that & be upset, but you WILL pose for bi-pride pics they might see even tho you're not out to them?
The shock of stumbling on nudes would be worse than the shock of finding out thru photos that you're bi?
Again, I'm not trying to be mean, that just seems to be an unusual response.

Feb 22 06 12:16 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Steven Eldridge wrote:
She could not see the issue so instead of taking my advice she added to the disclaimer "I ONLY SHOOT WITH ONE PHOTOGRAPHER NUDE". 

Needless to say that didn't help matter and she no longer models.

Oh yeah, I've run in to that too.  Never looks right.

Feb 22 06 12:17 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Steven Eldridge wrote:
Just curious what nude models your aware of are getting "negative" publicity for posing nude?  Not being a smart ass but that's a first for me.  I've heard of upsetting parents and boyfriends...but never negative "publicity".

I've also never understood this major idea that posing for nudes is going to generate tons of negativity, at least as far as further modelling is concerned.
It seems like it's one of those things that "everyone KNOWS" that doesn't have a lot to do with reality.
But then what do I know  big_smile

Feb 22 06 12:19 am Link

Photographer

Steven Starr

SLE Photography wrote:

I've also never understood this major idea that posing for nudes is going to generate tons of negativity, at least as far as further modelling is concerned.
It seems like it's one of those things that "everyone KNOWS" that doesn't have a lot to do with reality.
But then what do I know  big_smile

LOL..I can think of one person that got a bad rap for doing nude work and that was Elizabeth Berkley in that strip tease movie she did.  But I think her bad acting had more to do with it than being nude.

Feb 22 06 12:25 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Steven Eldridge wrote:
LOL..I can think of one person that got a bad rap for doing nude work and that was Elizabeth Berkley in that strip tease movie she did.  But I think her bad acting had more to do with it than being nude.

Yeah, that came up in another thread LOL
Vanessa Williams lost the Ms. America crown but gained a career over hers (after she tried to lie & screw a photographer like Cam Diaz did)

Feb 22 06 12:54 am Link

Model

Jessica Jill

Lexington, Kentucky, US

Amanda Jeanne wrote:
I notice that too and do find it a little weird ... though I have had girls tell me that the instant you put one nude/semi nude picture in your profile, the nude requests seem to skyrocket.

I do list in mine that I do not do nude work, but I will do implied.  Why do "I" do that?  Because I have found if you don't specify you will get bombarded with requests to do so.  It wastes your and the photographer's time.  If it is all put out front, there will be no confusion.  Just wanted to agree with the above posting. smile  I love this site...so many different opinions and views, it is great. smile

Feb 22 06 01:01 am Link

Photographer

Steven Starr

SLE Photography wrote:

Yeah, that came up in another thread LOL
Vanessa Williams lost the Ms. America crown but gained a career over hers (after she tried to lie & screw a photographer like Cam Diaz did)

I read about the Cameron Diaz thing.  I came out of it not really sure who was right?  Didn't he (the photog) have the release or something and they still blocked him from selling them.  I'm a little foggy on the details.

The funny thing is she fought like hell to stop those photos and a friend of mine showed me a skin mag the other day with Cam on the beach...yes nude..lol

Damn Paparazi...

Feb 22 06 01:02 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Steven Eldridge wrote:
I read about the Cameron Diaz thing.  I came out of it not really sure who was right?  Didn't he (the photog) have the release or something and they still blocked him from selling them.  I'm a little foggy on the details.

The funny thing is she fought like hell to stop those photos and a friend of mine showed me a skin mag the other day with Cam on the beach...yes nude..lol

Damn Paparazi...

The guy had them in a drawer someplace & when he found them & realized who they were of he caalled her lawyer & agent & set up a meet with them & said "As a courtesy, I am going to offer to sell you these for a reasonable sum instead of publishing them."
They called it blackmail & filed civil & criminal charges against him (he even offered a few compromise deals but they'd have none of it).  Cops raided his studio & seized a lot of his equipment & material & he went in to court.
Diaz got in to court and said yes, she'd posed for the photos and was happy to do it, but in some bizzaro world twist said "I did it to help my career but I certainly never thought anyone would see them."
WTF???  How would they help if no one SAW them??
During all of this, a seperate crew that'd shot the video of the shoot released video of the whole thing on the net.  You'd think at that point Cam woulkd've dropped the whole thing since th epoint was moot & the photographer clearly wasn't responsible, but other parties who were ofended by her actions.
Instead she pursued it & cried on the stand & swore she'd never signed the release.  The photographer had to admit he hadn't gotten the release done himself, but had an assistant do it so he couldn't say under oath she'd signed it (this's why I get my releases NOTARIZED) and Cam paid some signature guys to say it was a fake.
The photographer ended up doing jail time, with a criminal record, and bankrupt from the civil proceeding & barred from ever using the photos.

In the mean time, the whole world could see the video of her nude if they wanted it, none of it hurt Diaz's career any, no one made any $, and the PHOTOGRAPHER'S life was ruined.
As I mentioned, when the first photos of Vanessa Williams came out she tried the SAME strategy, saying the photog forged releases.  She also went the criminal & civil route, but then a second photographer surfaced with MORE pictures and several releases & she had to give up.  Otherwise, the first guy might've been ruined too.

And here the models are worried about THEIR lives getting messed up!

Feb 22 06 01:18 am Link

Photographer

Steven Starr

SLE Photography wrote:

The guy had them in a drawer someplace & when he found them & realized who they were of he caalled her lawyer & agent & set up a meet with them & said "As a courtesy, I am going to offer to sell you these for a reasonable sum instead of publishing them."
They called it blackmail & filed civil & criminal charges against him (he even offered a few compromise deals but they'd have none of it).  Cops raided his studio & seized a lot of his equipment & material & he went in to court.
Diaz got in to court and said yes, she'd posed for the photos and was happy to do it, but in some bizzaro world twist said "I did it to help my career but I certainly never thought anyone would see them."
WTF???  How would they help if no one SAW them??
During all of this, a seperate crew that'd shot the video of the shoot released video of the whole thing on the net.  You'd think at that point Cam woulkd've dropped the whole thing since th epoint was moot & the photographer clearly wasn't responsible, but other parties who were ofended by her actions.
Instead she pursued it & cried on the stand & swore she'd never signed the release.  The photographer had to admit he hadn't gotten the release done himself, but had an assistant do it so he couldn't say under oath she'd signed it (this's why I get my releases NOTARIZED) and Cam paid some signature guys to say it was a fake.
The photographer ended up doing jail time, with a criminal record, and bankrupt from the civil proceeding & barred from ever using the photos.

In the mean time, the whole world could see the video of her nude if they wanted it, none of it hurt Diaz's career any, no one made any $, and the PHOTOGRAPHER'S life was ruined.
As I mentioned, when the first photos of Vanessa Williams came out she tried the SAME strategy, saying the photog forged releases.  She also went the criminal & civil route, but then a second photographer surfaced with MORE pictures and several releases & she had to give up.  Otherwise, the first guy might've been ruined too.

And here the models are worried about THEIR lives getting messed up!

That's just f'd up.  Just goes to show what money can buy....good attorney's.

Feb 22 06 01:23 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Steven Eldridge wrote:
That's just f'd up.  Just goes to show what money can buy....good attorney's.

It's the Golden Rule.  He who has the gold, rules.
That's why Bush is pres & OJ is on the golf course looking for the "real killers."

Feb 22 06 01:27 am Link

Photographer

Far West Imaging

Laguna Hills, California, US

...Stacy wrote:
blah blah blah...

I wish I had said that.

Feb 22 06 01:29 am Link

Photographer

Steven Starr

SLE Photography wrote:

It's the Golden Rule.  He who has the gold, rules.
That's why Bush is pres & OJ is on the golf course looking for the "real killers."

OJ must really be getting tired by now...he's been searching for a looong time. LOL

Feb 22 06 01:33 am Link

Makeup Artist

benson

Los Angeles, California, US

Why are so many men so damned concerned with getting a woman to pose nude in the first place?

You're all PERVERTS that's why!

Feb 22 06 01:37 am Link

Model

Alli B

Syracuse, New York, US

benson wrote:

i love you benson!!! haha this is very true....  =P

Feb 22 06 01:40 am Link

Photographer

Steven Starr

benson wrote:
Why are so many men so damned concerned with getting a woman to pose nude in the first place?

Hello!  Nude photographer...can't do that without nude women..lol

Feb 22 06 01:41 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

benson wrote:

Why yes, I AM a pervert.  That's my private life, not my professional.

But as far as my photography is concerned, I shoot nudes (male nudes as well) because it's where my aesthetic for my succesful gallery work lies, and because it sells.  Tho to be honest I could make non-nude "couch art" photos and probably sell more, but then I'd hang myself from boredom big_smile

Feb 22 06 01:56 am Link

Photographer

Steven Starr

SLE Photography wrote:

Why yes, I AM a pervert.  That's my private life, not my professional.

But as far as my photography is concerned, I shoot nudes (male nudes as well) because it's where my aesthetic for my succesful gallery work lies, and because it sells.  Tho to be honest I could make non-nude "couch art" photos and probably sell more, but then I'd hang myself from boredom big_smile

It kills me that we are "all" pervs if we shoot nudes.  I don't claim that the stuff I do is artistic but man....are the labels really necessary? 

I guess I would also ask that if I'm a perv then what does that make the models we shoot?  I always just thought of them as confortable in their own skin and confident...maybe I'm wrong.

Feb 22 06 02:09 am Link

Makeup Artist

benson

So you are nude when you snap pictures?

WORD!

Feb 22 06 02:16 am Link

Makeup Artist

benson

Steven Eldridge wrote:
I guess I would also ask that if I'm a perv then what does that make the models we shoot?  I always just thought of them as confortable in their own skin and confident...maybe I'm wrong.

Ummmmm I was more or less making a tongue in Cheek statement......An attempt to difuse a silly debate........In reality most of you dudes don't seem so much perverted as mysoginstic and silly

Feb 22 06 02:18 am Link

Photographer

Steven Starr

benson wrote:

Ummmmm I was more or less making a tongue in Cheek statement......An attempt to difuse a silly debate........In reality most of you dudes don't seem so much perverted as mysoginstic and silly

Dude, I had to look that one up.  LOL

Main Entry: mi·sog·y·nis·tic
Pronunciation: m&-"säj-&-'nis-tik
Function: adjective
: having or showing a hatred and distrust of women

Feb 22 06 02:21 am Link

Photographer

Steven Starr

benson wrote:

WORD!

Only when requested : )

Hey, nice port..but do you realize your profile isn't written entirely in third person?

Feb 22 06 02:23 am Link

Photographer

Steven Starr

Steven Eldridge wrote:

benson wrote:

WORD!

Only when requested : )

Hey, nice port..but do you realize your profile is written entirely in third person?

And for those of you that don't know me...yes I'm joking.  Well, about shooting nude..the third person thing is true.

Feb 22 06 02:24 am Link

Makeup Artist

benson

"Hey, nice port..but do you realize your profile isn't written entirely in third person?"

HUH?

Feb 22 06 02:29 am Link

Photographer

Steven Starr

benson wrote:
"Hey, nice port..but do you realize your profile isn't written entirely in third person?"

HUH?

third person
n.
The grammatical category of forms that designate a person or thing other than the speaker or the one spoken to. Examples of forms in the third person include English pronouns such as she and they and verb forms such as Spanish hablan “they speak.â€?
A discourse or literary style in which the narrator recounts his or her own experiences or impressions using such forms: an essay written in the third person.

Feb 22 06 02:32 am Link

Makeup Artist

benson

I know what third person is.............

My BIO is just that a BIO not an AUTO-BIO......It was written about me......Not by me......My confusion was in that you said it "isn't" all in 3d person......when it is indeed!

CHECK yourself!

Feb 22 06 02:41 am Link

Photographer

Steven Starr

benson wrote:

My BIO is just that a BIO not an AUTO-BIO......It was written about me......Not by me......My confusion was in that you said it "isn't" all in 3d person......when it is indeed!

CHECK yourself!

Just giving you a hard time man...all in good fun.  I just found it funny that "about me" was in thrid person.  I expected to see "I" not Benson...

Seriously though...great work!

Feb 22 06 02:49 am Link

Photographer

Steven Starr

benson wrote:

CHECK yourself!

Consider me checked..and typo corrected : )

Feb 22 06 02:51 am Link

Makeup Artist

benson

Oh dear................ I must warn you.....I never take my self to seriously!

Thanks for the kind words........

And just to clear the confusion.......this is my MM profile.........and all of the words under the about me section......are ......about me.........just not by me!

Feb 22 06 02:51 am Link

Photographer

Steven Starr

benson wrote:
Oh dear................ I must warn you.....I never take my self to seriously!

Thanks for the kind words........

And just to clear the confusion.......this is my MM profile.........and all of the words under the about me section......are ......about me.........just not by me!

Ditto

What's sad though is that your first comment (realizing you were speaking in jest) is very familiar.  There is a common thought that you must be a perv to shoot nudes.  Sad, but regardless of how tasteful it is some just don't get it.

That being said, I guess the guy that shot (oh sorry painted) this must have been a serious perv...there are penis' everywhere.

https://www.crsng.gc.ca/news/features/images/sistine_chapel.jpg

Feb 22 06 03:03 am Link

Photographer

Kilili

Los Gatos, California, US

CDs and Video Unlimited wrote:
Why do so many of the female models say in their bio they will not do lingerie or nudity, then have pictures like this in their port? I'm sure it's because these pictures obviously get by far the most views and comments, but it's still like a double standard. Why not be like Ole Popeye. . . "I yam what I yam" . . . and be proud of it? :-)

Andy

Popeye is a cartoon character, not a real person.

Real people are full of contradictions and uncertainties.

People are sufficiently complex, that no simple set of rules can explain the behavior of the multitudes.

Advertising is far different than delivering the goods.  Check out any club or singles' bar.

What one may accept in a given situation is different than one's preferences.  Were I hungry enough, I might actually go to Mc Donald's.

We all like to display our best work, and showing what one has done, and proud of, is different from what one wishes to focus on.  At times, I display portrait material that I particularly like, yet it isn't mainstream enough to list it as a focus area.

Models that claim availability for nude material tend to get blasted with requests above and beyond anything they've ever posted, and it seems the majority of such "photographers" are unable to focus beyond that.

I wonder what particular agenda one has in asking such a question.  Perhaps you can expand on this and how you live the Popeye principle in your own life and your own profile on MM.

Feb 22 06 03:37 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

It's the classic "bait & switch" - they lure you into their portfolio with a nude shot or two, then they hit you with the "I don't do nudes" horse kahkah!  At least the "bait & switch" scams you encounter on the street are a little more intelligent!

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Feb 22 06 05:32 am Link

Model

CUnique

Bowie, Maryland, US

CDs and Video Unlimited wrote:
OK, I can understand a bad experience turning her off, but I still say, if it's something she doesn't want to do, why advertize otherwise?

It's not just one or two either. So many of them are doing this.

I just found it odd.

Feb 22 06 05:39 am Link

Model

CUnique

Bowie, Maryland, US

I totally agree with theda (model) because I get offers for things that ARE IN MY LIMITS all the time. As well as photographers who can't do anything to improve the nude shoots that I once displayed (not anymore because some were used for impersenating me); like they will send me something basically telling me all of my ports are terrible and they could do way better for me but when I see the work I don't see how SOME NOT ALL of them did anything different??? The photographers that I admire with a passion allways live so very far away as well...and I think they would give me something VERY different for my time and hard work. I guess you just have to take the good with the bad if you truly love modeling. *smiles :-)

Feb 22 06 05:43 am Link

Photographer

Jack Curtis

Westlake, Louisiana, US

Quote:"[

It kills me that we are "all" pervs if we shoot nudes.  I don't claim that the stuff I do is artistic but man....are the labels really necessary? 

"
Ignorance, hipocracy, whatever. This same visionary will also probably tell you he's never masturbated or thinks evil thoughts about people he hates. I shoot adult work, I do it as an OCCUPATION, not a perversion. Most of the models I've worked with do it for the same reason. Being comfortable with the work you do, WHATEVER it is, is key to being successful at ANYTHING, including nude photography or erotica.

The reading the port part of this post...well...I've been at this about 3 years now. I've gotten to the point where reading a model port's "innuendo" is a lot easier for me. I'm sure it works the same for a model that's been doing this a while as well, reading a photographer's port. You can tell in the first sentence or three whether this is someone you'd consider approaching for work or accepting a job with, and yes, wording, grammer, spelling are all important. Just as important as honesty. First impressions, even on the internet, are still the most lasting. The biggest drivers to the "next" button for me are the cynical, condescending port comments like, "don't waste my time....(insert adverb)"...I never do. I don't waste another second. If dealing with all normal types of communication in a profession you've chosen is a waste of your time, then what will your attitude be when you arrive for work? I'll never find out because I'd never hire you.  Same analogy applies to us as shooters. I don't consider it a waste of my time to read through 100 ports to find one model who is like minded for the project I'm shooting. There are a lot of other "instant move along" comments I read in ports that would take too much time to write, but my point is, relieve your frustration by clicking on the next button. There are lots of other models, and thousands more of them coming of age every day.

Feb 22 06 06:14 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

benson wrote:

So rather than having a sick sexual desire for women, we secretly hate them?
Interesting.
How do you explain my female partner who also shoots nudes?

Feb 22 06 09:10 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Steven Eldridge wrote:
That being said, I guess the guy that shot (oh sorry painted) this must have been a serious perv...there are penis' everywhere.

https://www.crsng.gc.ca/news/features/images/sistine_chapel.jpg

He was probably just a misandryst then.

Feb 22 06 09:12 am Link