Forums > General Industry > an IM conversation with a MM model......

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Yeah, his self portait of a couple of trashy looking women licking his penis & testicles while he flaunts his disgusting looking body in a mirror is terribly narrative lol

A photo tells a story.  There are polished airbrush works and those who work in a so-called snapshot or even documentary style.  I prefer the style and subject matter of Nan Goldin vs. Richardson but I don't think his work is invalid just because it isn't "pretty."

Feb 22 06 03:11 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
Brilliant at tricking wealthy people into thinking he's talented? Absolutely.

But his images are worthless shit.

Now, if I were you, a working professional fashion photographer with photos in big magazines, I'd never talk smack about someone like Terry Richardson either. Word gets around. So I don't blame you.

LOL.  So Marko only posted his positive critique of Richardson's work because he's afraid of a fashion backlash if he said otherwise?  You ARE kidding, right?

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
However ... Since I'm a nobody-hobbist, and I have no aspirations of any critical, published, or monetary success as a photographer.....

Oh puhleeze.  Of course you have aspirations of some monetary success as a photographer.

Feb 22 06 03:22 am Link

Photographer

Jeanette Thompson

Germantown, Maryland, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Main Entry: pa·nache Pronunciation: p&-'nash, -'näshFunction: nounEtymology: Middle French pennache, from Old Italian pennacchio, from Late Latin pinnaculum small wing -- more at PINNACLE
2 : dash or flamboyance in style and action : VERVE

Yeah, I'd say so

Versus Richardson, who's more like this:
White Trash:
What you live next to in the Midwest or the South if you're not in a big city or large town. They can be defined more easily with these following, short descriptions:
-Is very poor
-Smells really bad
-Eats pork rinds, squirrel, and drinks beer
-Wears clothing from Dixie Outfitters, Wrangler, and NASCAR
-Has vehicles up on cement blocks
-Has unkempt hair and an overall nasty-looking appearence.
-If you can hear them laughing and loud-mouthing very clearly from 200 yards away.
-If you see living room furniture and useless appliances outside.

I.E. My neighbor is a loud-mouthing piece of white-trash with nasty hair and a film of dirt built up on her skin. The rest of her imbred family lives with her. They live over 200 yards away and I can still hear that ugly laugh that those guys have....UGGH!

I'm a NASCAR fan.  Damn.

Feb 22 06 03:27 am Link

Model

Jennifer Black

Covina, California, US

Yikes! I had a similar problem with people contacting me, and being exceptionally rude towards me. I had to remove my AIM and Yahoo ID from my Model Mayhem profile as a result. And I definately don't think your work sucks Eric!

Feb 22 06 03:35 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

JennyChaos wrote:
Yikes! I had a similar problem with people contacting me, and being exceptionally rude towards me. I had to remove my AIM and Yahoo ID from my Model Mayhem profile as a result. And I definately don't think your work sucks Eric!

I would tend to think that having IM info listed publically is invitation for major irritation.

Feb 22 06 11:38 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

KM von Seidl wrote:
A photo tells a story.  There are polished airbrush works and those who work in a so-called snapshot or even documentary style.  I prefer the style and subject matter of Nan Goldin vs. Richardson but I don't think his work is invalid just because it isn't "pretty."

I happen to be a big fan of Nan's.
I'm not all about the perfect polished airbrushed look.
My issues with Richardson are with his hackneyed ideas & poor execution (bad lighting, poor framing, etc) and utter sleaziness masking as creativity.
It's possible to not have overly perfected "Maximized" images and still show some technical capability and professionalism in your work & how you shoot it.

Feb 22 06 11:59 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Jeanette Thompson wrote:
I'm a NASCAR fan.  Damn.

That's a symptoms list.  Generally you must meet at least 3 of the criteria to qualify.
And there're always exceptions...Paris Hilton is rich but is certainly white trash.
So just liking NASCAR isn't enough.
Unless you're a Jeff Gordon fan.  wink

Feb 22 06 12:01 pm Link

Model

Yanique

BRONX, New York, US

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
This was my conversation with a model a few moments ago.....
-----------------------------
The Model (4:37:35 PM): wat are you!

The Photographer (4:40:55 PM): excuse me?

The Model (4:45:40 PM): yes!
The Model (4:45:45 PM): who are you!
The Model (4:46:52 PM): yo

The Photographer (4:46:54 PM): who am i? um. you are the one who sent me an IM. shouldn't i be asking who you are?

The Model (4:46:56 PM): g-nit
The Model (4:47:21 PM): you were on my list
The Model (4:47:37 PM): so....
The Model (4:47:47 PM): im wondering whi this person is ..

The Photographer (4:49:09 PM): well, we talked many months ago from Model Mayhem.
you think i'm a crappy photographer and are really cocky.
but you're only 17, so i don't take it personally.

The Model (4:51:00 PM): oh ... nevermind
The Model (4:51:03 PM): bye
The Model (4:51:05 PM): ewooo
The Model (4:51:19 PM): im blocking u right
The Model (4:51:24 PM): so don't worry

The Photographer (4:51:51 PM): no worries at all, kid. take care.

The Model signed off at 4:52:03 PM.
-----------------------------

Sometimes I really amuse myself.

lmfao!!! classic!!

Feb 22 06 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

KM von Seidl wrote:
I would tend to think that having IM info listed publically is invitation for major irritation.

In the cases of both the horror stories I posted, they were people who found me on my "civilian" ids from passing references in those profiles to my photography & chose to contact me that way rather than going thru the links to my pro stuff.
Weirdos can always find you lol

Feb 22 06 12:03 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

This is the entire reason I don't do IM or AIM or any kind of internet chat thing.

Feb 22 06 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:
This is the entire reason I don't do IM or AIM or any kind of internet chat thing.

Because you get all the intelligent conversation you need here in the MM forums?  big_smile

Feb 22 06 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone calls me and the first words out of their mouth is "who is this". Hey your the person who called you dumbass maybe you should identify yourself first !

Feb 22 06 12:15 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Because you get all the intelligent conversation you need here in the MM forums?  big_smile

Hehehe. Nope. It's like text messaging. I'd rather talk to someone. You can tell a lot by their voice. Then I want to meet them. You can tell more by the body language.

Feb 22 06 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:
Hehehe. Nope. It's like text messaging. I'd rather talk to someone. You can tell a lot by their voice. Then I want to meet them. You can tell more by the body language.

I only use texting for short things like "Bring home milk"
I use IMs a lot tho becuase I have people I know IRL scattered all over & it would kill my phone bills to talk to them all the time!

Feb 22 06 12:18 pm Link

Model

Lamar Scott

New York, New York, US

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
you think i'm a crappy photographer and are really cocky.
but you're only 17, so i don't take it personally.

yea but dont think that all young models behave themselves that way b/c i dont. I find it very childish.

Feb 22 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

KM von Seidl wrote:

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
However ... Since I'm a nobody-hobbist, and I have no aspirations of any critical, published, or monetary success as a photographer.....

Oh puhleeze.  Of course you have aspirations of some monetary success as a photographer.

Used to. Not anymore. I've recently decided to become realistic. wink

Feb 22 06 01:00 pm Link