Forums > General Industry > Why do so called pro's

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

KARLOS MATTHEWS wrote:
https://static.redjupiter.com/images/kerndems/dohhomer.gif

You have quite a knack for taking quotes out of context!  Wanna go back and complete my statement for clarity?

Feb 16 06 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Gunfitr wrote:
Damn boy......don't you understand the concept of bullying at all....

You step on the people below you to get a better look at those above you.

When you get to the top, you install a glass ceiling (well, when you are at the top, it's a floor to you) to give the femmes something to bitch about as well.

What are you stupid?

LOL

Sometimes I get real mean and cranky on the boards (not that I consider myself a pro photographer) because somebody pushes my buttons, then I push back.

It really is cathartic.

You should try it.

We all call each other asshole and then later on we all go get a beer.

Mark

Did somebody say beer?

Feb 16 06 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Gunfitr wrote:
Damn boy......don't you understand the concept of bullying at all....

You step on the people below you to get a better look at those above you.

When you get to the top, you install a glass ceiling (well, when you are at the top, it's a floor to you) to give the femmes something to bitch about as well.

What are you stupid?

LOL

Sometimes I get real mean and cranky on the boards (not that I consider myself a pro photographer) because somebody pushes my buttons, then I push back.

It really is cathartic.

You should try it.

Mark

By the way, intimidation I understand, bullying I don't.

Feb 16 06 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

Gunfitr wrote:

Mark

I got the first round!!!! ha ha!

Feb 16 06 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

The Art of CIP wrote:

I got the first round!!!! ha ha!

Oh, to be in California again.

Feb 16 06 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

DeBoer Photography wrote:
I saw another thread that had a well-known and respected professional go head-to-head with an "expert" on here and the professional "conceded"...and left MM.

What a loss for this place...and the sad thing is...many on here don't even know (or care?) what they lost... sad

A few of us do know and care.  Yeah, it is quite a loss...

Feb 16 06 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

I am a "gun" for hire, when people hire me as a photographer...and an "artist" when I am shooting the babes or shooting because I enjoy something and have a "vision" to fulfill.

Is a professional house painter an artist?  He certain is good with his tool and his craft...and certainly knows how to make a house look good...

Do some view my "work" as art?  Yeah.  Do I?  Sometimes.  Othertimes, I am just shooting to spec.

Do I market myself as an artist?  Hell yes.

- Denoy

Good points.

I'm working on this gig shooting products for this company in my area. It's going to pay well, but in that particular line of work, there are only so many ways you can photograph nuts and bolts, so in that scenario, I'm shooting to spec, and getting paid well for it.

I will most likely get paid more for shooting products in a 3hour period than I would in a day shoot with models.

That being said, it just depends on not only the way YOU view and approach your work, but the way others view it, as well.

The images that are posted here in MM most likely barely scratch the surface where some photographers' work is concerned, and those who only shoot models may feel as though every photographer here is their peer, and we know that's not true.

Bottom line (for new photographers): It's all about your approach.

Feb 16 06 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

I am a "gun" for hire, when people hire me as a photographer...and an "artist" when I am shooting the babes or shooting because I enjoy something and have a "vision" to fulfill.

Is a professional house painter an artist?  He certain is good with his tool and his craft...and certainly knows how to make a house look good...

Do some view my "work" as art?  Yeah.  Do I?  Sometimes.  Othertimes, I am just shooting to spec.

Do I market myself as an artist?  Hell yes.

- Denoy

Actually Denoy - I agree with this whole heartedly - it's a very practical and healthy approach to work. Sometimes online it's easy to read into something the wrong way - If my words were recieved as condescending I apologize - that was not my intent....  Of coures the whole "house painter as an artist thing" I don't know.  But I do know that under California and New York state law that a house painter doesn't enjoy the protections under the law that an exhibiting gallery artist has - unless of course he paints the house - then paints a painting or take photographs of the house he painted and sells prints in excess of 125$ per print or exhibits work through an art dealer for sale. wink In that case he would certainly be protected under the law as an artist...

Feb 16 06 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Steven Bigler wrote:
You have quite a knack for taking quotes out of context!  Wanna go back and complete my statement for clarity?

nope. I read many of your posting and like I said before they are good to laugh at.

Feb 16 06 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

San Diego, California, US

I consider myself "semi-pro" but I wouldn't come down on someone like that either way. The only people I talk smack about are the photographers here who think they are "pro" but there work looks average or instamatic smile I think some of the photographers don't realize that having connections to get you listed as the OMP photographer of the month or getting hundreds of tags on MM means you do great work.

Feb 16 06 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

( ANT ) Mgaphoto wrote:
I think some of the photographers don't realize that having connections to get you listed as the OMP photographer of the month or getting hundreds of tags on MM means you do great work.

It does?  I'm assuming this is a typo...

Feb 16 06 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Jay Bowman wrote:

It does?  I'm assuming this is a typo...

You must be right.

Feb 16 06 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

I have made a fair amount on of money reshooting products and portfolios that were origianally done  by GWCs

I have bid $$$ on jobs that were lost because of a GWC ' I can do that for free, I like taking pictures'

Professionals have equipment, insurance, bills, lease to pay for so we  know what jobs are worthwhile.

I have this japanese guy that repairs my car; I will not use anyone else; not for less, not for free, not for a favor.  never had to take it back for the same problem!

same with photographers; professionals produce!

Feb 17 06 01:25 am Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Feb 17 06 01:52 am Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Feb 17 06 02:33 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

I thought I'd chime in here.

I take photographs for a hobby, my day job pays way too well for me to even consider that my photography could ever come close, even if anyone ever wanted to buy my shots. I'm not really an amature and not a GWC, I win competitions and get good reviews on photoSig, but I'm definatly not a Pro. So I photograph for me, in what I consider art.

I asked a question on MM and got shat on without cause. I really dont know why someone who earns a living at doing their 'art' has to crap on someone else.  In this case it coudnt be to kill the competition because im not in the competition and my photographs are so different from his to make it seem liducrous.

Basically, I think some people are just mean and nasty. I see it in all industies and also at club levels.

Feb 17 06 03:25 am Link

Photographer

Shan L Photography

markcomp wrote:
Why do so called professional photographers seem to have the need to make sport of anyone without such a designation?

I don't walk into a group of CPA's and point out the accountant as a CPA wannabe,

or walk into a group of Realtors and point to the casual real estate  investor as a Realtor wanabee,

so why do I see so many slamming post by those who do absolutley nothing to edify the art as a whole?

What are they afraid of?

Ego, bitter, mainly EGO though. Read and laugh my dear, lol read and laugh like some of the rest of us yikes)

Feb 17 06 04:25 am Link

Photographer

luciano Mello

São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil

Feb 17 06 04:33 am Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

Dan Howell wrote:

Do you believe that CPA's do not look down on tax preparers?  Or do you think that Realtors are the same as Real Estate agents?  Do they all get valued and compensated the same?  To be honest I forget what all of the differences and similarities are, but I know there are conflicts and emotions in many professions and pursuits.

Actually there is a big diference between a Realtor and a Real Estate Agent.

just as a point of information....

Realtor : In the United States a designation used to describe a member of the National Association of Realtors (NAR).

Real Estate Agent : A person who is authorized (Licensed) to act as an agent for the sale of land.

Being a Real Estate Agent allows you to legally act as an agent to buy or sell property for a client. Being a Realtor, just means you are a member of an organization of Real Estate Agents, and you can use their logo on your paperwork and wear their logo pin.

Just my 1.5 cents worth on a property that is way over priced... and undervalued.

Andrew

Feb 17 06 05:27 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

A song by the BeeGees' "It's only words and words are all I have" thik about it.

Feb 17 06 05:41 am Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

AlexAlexander/Moderator wrote:
A song by the BeeGees' "It's only words and words are all I have" thik about it.

Touche!

Feb 17 06 07:53 am Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

What are the Wal-Mart/Sear/etc. department store photographers who get paid by the hour to produce their "work."  Are they artists or technicians or laborers?

Just some things to think about...

And to tie it back to this thread...

Are they PROFESSIONALS?

I would put those guys in the professional category.  Because they are getting paid to shoot.  There are different strata of professional status as I'm sure you know.  Some people shoot screaming babies and get a few bucks an hour for their pics.  Some people shoot screaming supermodels and get a few thousand bucks for their pics.  But being a pro doesn't necessarily make one a photographer...  I've seen so many pro books.  I've found that when a group of photographers are going for a gig and it's been narrowed down to the most likely candidates, the ones with the most interesting personal books always get's the job. In a pefect world we would all get the dream gig that pays well and we have complete control creative control - but as I'm sure you know - those are few and far between..  I could go on forever about this - but I don't wanna be called the thread jacker...  I think I'll just start another thread...

Feb 17 06 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Bangerman wrote:
I asked a question on MM and got shat on without cause. I really dont know why someone who earns a living at doing their 'art' has to crap on someone else.  In this case it coudnt be to kill the competition because im not in the competition and my photographs are so different from his to make it seem liducrous.

Basically, I think some people are just mean and nasty. I see it in all industies and also at club levels.

*chuckles* Not laughing at you, just the use of the word "shat on", in the context of asking a question. Kinda reminds me of why students and adults are often reluctant to raise their hand and ask questions in numerous environments.

You're right though. Some people are just competitive and mean spirited shats.

Feb 17 06 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Dave Krueger wrote:

I think it's because what they see on here are not a bunch of people interested in photography, but a bunch of guys interested in taking pictures of pretty girls.

And, I think some of those pros are just so full of themselves that they just can't keep from being assholes.  One has to wonder why they're even here if not to revel in their own sense of superiority.

Feb 26 06 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

photoruss

Hiram, Georgia, US

I think if you are truly a pro, then you don't really have time to post a thousand times on a freebie site like this one.   I was mainly looking to network with other amateurs and semi's, models, and stylists.  I've found better networking on
photographytips.com.

Just look at anyone that posts a question.  If the immediate responses are just clarifying questions or smart ass remarks, then you have a sign of a true PGWC (professional guy with camera).

Feb 26 06 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

jtorr

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Look at some of the hacks out there and then wonder why.  Don't look at my stuff I  just might be one of the hacks.

Feb 26 06 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Many thanks to all that posted on this thread.  Not only do I not feel alone but I have learned to better recognize those who have inferiority complexes.

Feb 26 06 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

JT Hodges

Austin, Texas, US

Sara Green wrote:
- most accountants have "bean counter" personalities... If you don't know what that means, it is the opposite of an auto sales man... very different from the creative personalities attracted to artistic pursuits

Hey, I'm part "bean counter" (at least I went to school for it).

Feb 26 06 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

markcomp wrote:
Many thanks to all that posted on this thread.  Not only do I not feel alone but I have learned to better recognize those who have inferiority complexes.

cool I feel the same many times so I hope I'm not one of the a'holes with a inferiority complexe ( I don't think they can smell their own sh*t)

Feb 26 06 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

KARLOS MATTHEWS wrote:

cool I feel the same many times so I hope I'm not one of the a'holes with a inferiority complexe ( I don't think they can smell their own sh*t)

You are definitely NOT an a**hole with a complex.

Feb 26 06 08:18 pm Link