Forums > General Industry > What makes you an "experienced" model?

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

ughhh.."experience"

Apr 14 06 02:15 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

afterdarc studios wrote:
When they can model and pose without guidance.

This I think makes a HUGE difference between expirienced and not. When I first started modeling I couldn't pose on my own at all! LOL! It was horrible.

Now I hardly ever need direction from the photog.

Apr 14 06 02:15 pm Link

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Every model has her list, mine is:
TV
Video
Print
Promotion
Runway
After I've achieved a tearsheet (or equivalent) I am experienced in that genre.  Experience is a opinion, and most self-opinions are rather high.

Apr 14 06 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

ray robinson

New York, New York, US

What makes you an experienced model versus a model with only "some experience"?  Like when can someone finally call themselves an experienced model?

****** In my professional opinion, a model is "an experienced model" when he/she has repeated bookings from AT LEAST 75% of his/her clients.

Many models get modeling assignments.
However, 80% of those same models often DO NOT get re-booked from those clients.
To me, in my professional opinion, that's sad.

To me, when a model NO LONGER has to keep in contact with numerous clients who he/she has worked for at least for ONE booking; you are an EXPERIENCED model when your clients contact YOU to re-book for another project.

Tear sheets, anybody can get tear sheets. Simply be willing to do an editorial job or print ad or flyer for a night club for FREE! WAM! You’ve got tear sheets. This DOES NOT state NOR does it PROVE that the model:
1. Knows HOW to pose
2. Has a good attitude
3. Shows up for bookings on time
4. Is easy & fun to work with.

However, repeated bookings with clients of whom have called YOU after that first initial booking; if they loved you and you were ALL that ... believe me, that client will call you EACH time they need someone like you. They will NOT forget about you. It's not too often that a client forgets about a GOOD model that worked for them. Such a model is "an experienced model".

Ray

Apr 15 06 03:19 am Link

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

ray robinson wrote:
What makes you an experienced model versus a model with only "some experience"?  Like when can someone finally call themselves an experienced model?

****** In my professional opinion, a model is "an experienced model" when he/she has repeated bookings from AT LEAST 75% of his/her clients.

Many models get modeling assignments.
However, 80% of those same models often DO NOT get re-booked from those clients.
To me, in my professional opinion, that's sad.

To me, when a model NO LONGER has to keep in contact with numerous clients who he/she has worked for at least for ONE booking; you are an EXPERIENCED model when your clients contact YOU to re-book for another project.

Tear sheets, anybody can get tear sheets. Simply be willing to do an editorial job or print ad or flyer for a night club for FREE! WAM! You’ve got tear sheets. This DOES NOT state NOR does it PROVE that the model:
1. Knows HOW to pose
2. Has a good attitude
3. Shows up for bookings on time
4. Is easy & fun to work with.

However, repeated bookings with clients of whom have called YOU after that first initial booking; if they loved you and you were ALL that ... believe me, that client will call you EACH time they need someone like you. They will NOT forget about you. It's not too often that a client forgets about a GOOD model that worked for them. Such a model is "an experienced model".

Ray

I think you decribed correctly a GOOD model but not necessarily an EXPERIENCED one.

Apr 15 06 03:47 am Link

Photographer

- null -

https://www.bluesup.com/JimyHendrixCD.jpg

Apr 15 06 03:53 am Link

Photographer

ray robinson

New York, New York, US

A "good" model VS.an "experinced" model.

Tyra, Naomi and Beverly Johnson, to me, are not just professional TOP models; rather to me they are "experienced models" because their clients have re-booked them again & again & again. They are not just GOOD models. There's a polished and accomplished. Many non-top models are also polished & accomplished. Thus, they are "experienced". They are no longer just GOOD models. They've come up a couple notches on the ladder of success.

Apr 15 06 04:13 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:

How do you get a tearsheet from your first TFP session?  Isn't tfp time for print and there is no client involved to endorse?

In the strictest sense of TFP...Trading Modeling time For Prints or Digitals of the shoot, the photo of mine in the Museum Of Modern Art In NYC was from a First time TFP. The model was already famous and I had a couple of big shows and a couple of Emmys from working at CBS. But I didn't know her socially and I didn't pay her nor did she pay me. TFP? In fact all but a very few of my Fine Art session over the 40 years I have been doing them have been Time For time. And the chance of a bit of immortality.
Mike

Apr 15 06 04:34 am Link