Forums > General Industry > What makes you an "experienced" model?

Model

Sogno Dolce

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

What makes you an experienced model versus a model with only "some experience"?  Like when can someone finally call themselves an experienced model?

Feb 12 06 11:33 am Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Tearsheets.

Feb 12 06 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:
Tearsheets.

Exactly!!!! smile

Feb 12 06 01:46 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

In my case, since I am an art model and not a commercial model, it's the art world version of tearsheets: images of me being included in books, on gallery walls, in the homes of art collectors, things like that.  It also, to me, has to do with having worked regularly and steadily at this for awhile now, being dependable and reliable, and having learned a few things along the way.

Those are the reasons I chose that designation, anyway.

Feb 12 06 01:49 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Shyly wrote:
In my case, since I am an art model and not a commercial model, it's the art world version of tearsheets: images of me being included in books, on gallery walls, in the homes of art collectors, things like that.  It also, to me, has to do with having worked regularly and steadily at this for awhile now, being dependable and reliable, and having learned a few things along the way.

Those are the reasons I chose that designation, anyway.

Those are considered tearsheets!  Because you are getting actual exposure from your work!  Besides just the internet!  You are a fab art model by the way shyly smile

Feb 12 06 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

great question....

Feb 12 06 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Darryl Martin

Boulder City, Nevada, US

I think "tearsheets" is quite a reasonable answer.

Tearsheets are generally a result of production planning, set goals and often mean team work.   These elements lead to gaining professional attitudes and practices.

I have nothing against tfp's, but I feel the learned experience, does not lead to professional "experiences".  Again, nothing wrong with this, but my interpretation of the meaning of the original post.

Respectfully, Darryl

Feb 12 06 02:02 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Darryl Martin wrote:
I think "tearsheets" is quite a reasonable answer.

Tearsheets are generally a result of production planning, set goals and often mean team work.   These elements lead to gaining professional attitudes and practices.

I have nothing against tfp's, but I feel the learned experience, does not lead to professional "experiences".  Again, nothing wrong with this, but my interpretation of the meaning of the original post.

Respectfully, Darryl

Exactamundo.  Too many models and photogs get the misconception that you are ''experienced'' just because you test and have an agent.

Feb 12 06 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Are the terms "experienced" and "Professional" necessarily the same?

Feb 12 06 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

Darryl Martin

Boulder City, Nevada, US

Good point, Diana.

Every time you are in front of a camera, you certainly learn.  But the bar is raised once there are real world goals beyond "pretty pictures". 

It's quite different when you learn that you are a part (an important part) of a team with a set purpose.

The restrictions on a production shoot are considerable.  Telling a story, representing a product or company, etc. all force you to be the best you can be.

Feb 12 06 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Darryl Martin

Boulder City, Nevada, US

re: "experienced" and "Professional" being the same.

Not really, but it's difficult to place into words that we can all use as references. 

In a broad sense, "professional" could easily just be defined as getting paid.  But I think we pretty much use it to define someone that uses good work ethics and practices.  (at least I would lean toward that definition)

It would be quite unfair to label someone as "non-professional" just because they are not making the majority of their income out of this business.

I know it's dangerous to throw these terms out there.  Thanx, for asking the question.

Feb 12 06 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Darryl Martin wrote:
re: "experienced" and "Professional" being the same.

Not really, but it's difficult to place into words that we can all use as references. 

In a broad sense, "professional" could easily just be defined as getting paid.  But I think we pretty much use it to define someone that uses good work ethics and practices.  (at least I would lean toward that definition)

It would be quite unfair to label someone as "non-professional" just because they are not making the majority of their income out of this business.

I know it's dangerous to throw these terms out there.  Thanx, for asking the question.

sure..they need to be discussed in line with the ORIGINAL POST...personally havving a legit agent is much needed to be a professional...or at least a manager...whether you have a lot of experience or not..A LEGIT AGENT especially based in major market
and thank you for thanking me :--)

Feb 12 06 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

John Pringle

New York, New York, US

All experience is potientially useful.
Most peeps just shelve it due to a lack of vision. Tearsheets are sort of an industry diploma if you will. Covers are like college degrees. Your face on a product is like being made into a goddess...
And being paid is suppose to mark you as a professional, but thats being paid on a continuance, not just a once or twice thing.
Being in MAXIM is really another TFP, but none the less a tearsheet.

Feb 12 06 02:20 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Elahi,

I know a lot of agency girls and boys that only test and go to several go sees with little success of getting a booking.  Does this make them professional/experienced?  Not necessarily.  This is a tough business and it's hard to make it as a real ''professional''.  You have to pitch yourself amongst the greatest!

Feb 12 06 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:
Elahi,

I know a lot of agency girls and boys that only test and go to several go sees with little success of getting a booking.  Does this make them professional/experienced?  Not necessarily.  This is a tough business and it's hard to make it as a real ''professional''.  You have to pitch yourself amongst the greatest!

Hi Diana,

How are you today?

No. However, just like all roads (for fashion anyway) lead to NY, Paris & London, I think that having an agent is an indication of a level of success...A LEGIT AGENT in a major market! So all roads, as an aspiring model, lead to agency representation. Now thats my humble opinion.

Feb 12 06 02:27 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

I am doing peachy sir!

I do agree with you!  Having an agent is vital.  But it doesn't guarantee you stardom or money!  Even if you were with one of the top ten agencies it doesn't guarantee success at all.  That's why they put in your contract that you are an ''independent contractor''. 

I know a model that is signed with the 10th largest modeling agency and this young lad only made 5k last year from modeling.

Feb 12 06 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:
I am doing peachy sir!

I do agree with you!  Having an agent is vital.  But it doesn't guarantee you stardom or money!  Even if you were with one of the top ten agencies it doesn't guarantee success at all.  That's why they put in your contract that you are an ''independent contractor''. 

I know a model that is signed with the 10th largest modeling agency and this young lad only made 5k last year from modeling.

agrred! only reson why I bring this up is becasue there are so many who dont feel that an agent is necessary...well a legit agent can get you in some doors thatonly a legit agent can!

Feb 12 06 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Elin Striga

Örebro, Örebro, Sweden

Well, a tearsheet can come from the models first TFP session so I wouldn't say tearsheet. I would say that a photographer see on a model when she has reached the "experienced" level. She knows her body and knows how to work it. She knows what to hide from the camera and what to show. She is versatile, have a great self esteem and is easy to work with. She has a good eye for what pictures of her is good (that will work in a magazine etc) and which are not: She can see on a photographers portfolio if his work is worth a TFP shoot.
This is MY definition of an experienced model.

Feb 12 06 03:03 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Elin Striga wrote:
Well, a tearsheet can come from the models first TFP session so I wouldn't say tearsheet. I would say that a photographer see on a model when she has reached the "experienced" level. She knows her body and knows how to work it. She knows what to hide from the camera and what to show. She is versatile, have a great self esteem and is easy to work with. She has a good eye for what pictures of her is good (that will work in a magazine etc) and which are not: She can see on a photographers portfolio if his work is worth a TFP shoot.
This is MY definition of an experienced model.

How do you get a tearsheet from your first TFP session?  Isn't tfp time for print and there is no client involved to endorse?

Feb 12 06 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Sogno Dolce wrote:
What makes you an experienced model versus a model with only "some experience"?  Like when can someone finally call themselves an experienced model?

I think it's almost impossible to answer this question with any kind of precision without specifying what kind of modeling you're referring to.  I consider the independint internet modeling world to be different from the brick and mortar mainstream modeling world.  I think you're getting responses from both perspectives which tend to conflict.

-Dave

Feb 12 06 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

Elin Striga

Örebro, Örebro, Sweden

Diana Moffitt wrote:

How do you get a tearsheet from your first TFP session?  Isn't tfp time for print and there is no client involved to endorse?

Well you can send the pic to a magazine and if they like it they will print it. Happened to one of my models, we didn't send in the pic in this case, it was all contacts, a magazine was looking for a page 3 model and someone thought of my work, the magazine contacted me and wanted a b/w shot and I sent in a couple I thought would fit. They chose the newbie model pic. big_smile (This pic btw... http://trollkatt.com/pinup/4.jpg but cropped so it would fit into one page.)

Feb 12 06 04:32 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:
Those are considered tearsheets!  Because you are getting actual exposure from your work!  Besides just the internet!  You are a fab art model by the way shyly smile

Thank you very much, Diana!  I like your work, too.  You're fierce.

Feb 13 06 12:39 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Elin Striga wrote:
(This pic btw... http://trollkatt.com/pinup/4.jpg but cropped so it would fit into one page.)

She's adorable, Elin.  You have access to some righteous models.  I see why they chose it!

Feb 13 06 12:39 am Link

Model

gsvb

New York, New York, US

Tearsheets..
Working in more than One country
TV Commercials
Campaigns

This is the "industry" or Business"..two phrases you hear a lot on MM.
Which in my mind has nothing to do with the Business..
Its just a bit of fun

Feb 13 06 12:49 am Link

Photographer

Elin Striga

Örebro, Örebro, Sweden

Shyly wrote:

She's adorable, Elin.  You have access to some righteous models.  I see why they chose it!

Thank you very much!! Show her some looove hun... wink
https://modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=7951

Feb 13 06 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Ron B Blake

Macomb, Illinois, US

Feb 13 06 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

afterdarc studios

San Diego, California, US

When they can model and pose without guidance.

Feb 14 06 10:07 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Tearsheets, working with big name photographers in your niche.

Having done enough shoots that you instinctively know how to angle your face and body towards the camera to get the best results.

Feb 15 06 01:54 am Link

Photographer

Ron B Blake

Macomb, Illinois, US

Sogno Dolce wrote:

working with only one photographer.

Fluffing each others egos to make it look there better then what they really are.

No  Tearsheets  or print work.

seeking paid assingments with other photographers after ONE shoot with repetitive photographer.

Apr 14 06 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Elin Striga wrote:
a tearsheet can come from the models first TFP session so I wouldn't say tearsheet

Ditto! Might be the photographer was experieced & new how to market [ ] better; the model might have just been in the right place, at the right time.

FML

Apr 14 06 08:09 am Link

Model

Rachel DellaPorte

Montgomery, New York, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:
Exactamundo.  Too many models and photogs get the misconception that you are ''experienced'' just because you test and have an agent.

yep tears, and from things people have heard of wink

Apr 14 06 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Anderson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Sogno Dolce wrote:

When they have experience.  smile

Apr 14 06 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Good responses so far!
How about us photographers? I've had a few images printed in various college newspapers. Does this count? If not, why?   smile

Rich

Apr 14 06 01:26 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

images by elahi wrote:
Are the terms "experienced" and "Professional" necessarily the same?

I don't think so...

I've been an "experienced" amateur/hobbyist for several years now.  I like to believe I handle myself in a "professional" manner, but do not classify myself as one because I do not make a sole living from it.

Apr 14 06 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

David A

Pleasant Grove, Utah, US

Rich Mohr wrote:
Good responses so far!
How about us photographers? I've had a few images printed in various college newspapers. Does this count? If not, why?   smile
Rich

In my opinion an experienced photographer has two valuable traits.

1)  From a lighting standpoint, they can get the shot.  This could include poor lighting, noon harsh lighting.  Basically, the client makes the call as to where and when and the photographer can't say "it's bad light."  Experience overcomes that.

2)  You don't have a bad day.  Client expects the shot they paid you for.  Experience gives you the ability to be consistant and get good shots, no exceptions, no excuses.

(P.S. not claiming I'm there on either of these definitions but that's my definition for experience.)

Apr 14 06 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Rich Mohr wrote:
Good responses so far!

Rich

I can answer that one... it's easy:

Having a few images printed in various college newspapers as a photographer will make you in NO WAY an experienced model! tongue

Apr 14 06 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

UdoR wrote:

I can answer that one... it's easy:

Having a few images printed in various college newspapers as a photographer will make you in NO WAY an experienced model! tongue

Ah you must have snuck a peek at a few of my self portraits, lol!

Apr 14 06 01:58 pm Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

Apr 14 06 01:59 pm Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

Model

io

New York, New York, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:
Tearsheets.

Wow, I guess I should change mine to "experienced," but even if I've only done about 8 or so shoots?  That just didn't seem right to me...even though I've been in mags (national and international) and made a cover in Germany.   

I think I want to do at least 4 or more shoots w/reputable photographers before I feel comfortable upgrading myself. Even though I've been published and had feature spreads, I still feel like I have some minor things to work out w/how I pose my body at times.  Though it improves with each shoot, I want to get to where I don't even have to think about it, I just DO it.