Forums > General Industry > main differences between pro agency models and internet ones

Model

Vanna

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I think the most noticable difference is in the quality of photos.

Jun 18 05 01:59 am Link

Model

AshleyDanielle

West Hollywood, California, US

Posted by *!photofashion!*: 

Posted by theda: 
Did she? I could have sworn Rebecca Romijn was a model.

Does anyone recall the name of that French model (Eve?) who had a shaved head with alarge dragon tattooed on it? 

Posted by AshleyDanielle: 
1. Britney Spears - tattoos
Halle Berry - tattoo - flower on derriere
Alyssa Milano - multiple tattoos
Jessica Alba - tattoo on back of neck
Angelina Jolie - multiple tattoos
Sarah Michelle Gellar - several tattoos
Pamela Anderson - multiple tattoos
Jennifer Aniston - tattoo
Tiffani Thiessen - tattoos
Charlize Theron - tattoos on feet
Christina Aguilera - tattoos
Lucy Liu - tattoo of tiger on lower back
Jenna Jameson - tattoos
Rebecca Romijn-Stamos - tattoo
Jaime Pressly - tattoos
Jenny McCarthy - tattoo on derriere
Janet Jackson - multiple tattoos
Catherine Bell - tattoo
Sandra Bullock - tattoo on lower belly
Jasmine Bleeth - tattoos
Melissa Joan hart - tattoos
Charisma Carpenter - tattoo on lower back
Julia Roberts - tattoos
Mandy Moore - tattoo on foot
Alyson Hannigan - tattoos
Drew Barrymoore - multiple tattoos
Courtney Cox - tattoo
Holly Marie Combs - tattoo
Gillian Anderson - tattoos on feet
Rose McGowan - tattoo on back
Gwyneth Paltrow - tattoo
Meg Ryan - tattoo
Aaliyah - tattoos
Pink - tattoos
Kate Hudson - tattoo on foot
Vanessa Marcil - tattoo
Chyna - tattoos
Kelly Ripa - tattoo on calf
)

whoa!! thats a long list, must have taken a while... lots of talented girls there........ you forgot to name any models though.......oops!

ah Theda..defender of the defenceless....Rebecca has ONE tiny circular tatoo on her calf..not on her back..or legs or breasts or neck or...ecc ecc ecc.... 

defenceless? please

You don't consider Jessica Alba, Pamela Anderson or Rebecca Romijn models? ok
I did state they were not all models yet successful and wasn't the point I was making.. since you want models here to make you happy..

Sophie ANDERTON,  Model has a bird of paradise on her upper back

Carmen ELECTRA,  Model has her wedding date "Eleven XXII" tattooed under left wrist

Kate GROOMBRIDGE,  Model has star and small planets on foot, Chinese symbol on belly by right hip that says "Friend/Friends"

Nicky HILTON,  Model has a heart with wings on the inside of her right wrist and she has "Hilton" in gothic font tattooed on the small of her back, cross on back of neck 

Rachel HUNTER,  Model/actress has 3 tattoos, her belly and back (2)

IMAN Model has tattoo of Bowie knife on right ankle,

Sung Hilee,  Small butterfly below bikini line

Anne Wagner,  Playboy model has butterfly on left hip

James King,  Supermodel has word KING on back of neck, small tattoo on bikini line, fairy on her lower back, a diamond on left wrist, spade or club on her right wrist, both nipples pierced

Caroline Murphy,  Model has Japanese-style koi fish on hip

Susie Owens,  Playboy model has angel between shoulder blades

Erin Wasson,  Model has many tattoos

Jodi Ann Paterson,  Playboy model has small hot chilli pepper on butt cheek, pierced belly button

Ana Paula,  Model has butterflies (large and small) on back, preying mantis on pelvis

Carrie Westcott,  Model has small tribal design wrist bracelet on left arm

Eleni Petroulaki,  Model has Devil's head on right butt cheek

Frankie Rayder,  Super model has tattoo on lower back

Nicole Brande Roderick,   Playboy model has a couple rose tattoos, one on foot the other just below bikini line

Holly Valance,  Model has small Chinese character for 'love' on right side of bikini line, also has pierced belly button

and last but not least..

BARBIE Yes, the doll! Had one butterfly on her stomach, and more temp tats of flowers! tongue

Jun 18 05 02:16 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Los Angeles, California, US

Can't forget...
Omayra

Jun 18 05 02:25 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Brande Roderick,  Nicole Playboy model has a couple rose tattoos, one on foot the other just below bikini line

I don't remember Brande having any tattoos. This must have been something she's done in the last couple of years.

Jun 18 05 02:32 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I disagree with some of the women in this thread being called models.

There is a difference between a celebrity that is photographed and a model that makes a living being photographed. I would not call the former a model if they are known primarily as an actress, singer, or whore.

Jun 18 05 04:33 am Link

Photographer

p h o t o f a s h i o n

London, England, United Kingdom

defenceless? please

I did state they were not all models yet successful and wasn't the point I was making.. since you want models here to make you happy..

Carmen ELECTRA,  Model has her wedding date "Eleven XXII" tattooed under left wrist

Kate GROOMBRIDGE,  Model has star and small planets on foot, Chinese symbol on belly by right hip that says "Friend/Friends"

Nicky HILTON,  Model has a heart with wings on the inside of her right wrist and she has "Hilton" in gothic font tattooed on the small of her back, cross on back of neck 

James King,  Supermodel has word KING on back of neck, small tattoo on bikini line, fairy on her lower back, a diamond on left wrist, spade or club on her right wrist, both nipples pierced

Jodi Ann Paterson,  Playboy model has small hot chilli pepper on butt cheek, pierced belly button

Ana Paula,  Model has butterflies (large and small) on back, preying mantis on pelvis

Nicole Brande Roderick,   Playboy model has a couple rose tattoos, one on foot the other just below bikini line

Holly Valance,  Model has small Chinese character for 'love' on right side of bikini line, also has pierced belly button

and last but not least..

BARBIE Yes, the doll! Had one butterfly on her stomach, and more temp tats of flowers! tongue [/quote

when did they get all these tattoos done....?? research that! ;-)) you will be suprised how many did it AFTER they had achieved a modicum of success...

Jun 18 05 07:39 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by Ty Simone: 
The difference in Ty Simone's Skewed view....
Land Based Models are the Past and Present. Web Based Models are the Future.

after watching you argue with the owner of NYC oldest model and talent agency about "how the industry works"..i thought this is a type of guy that would buy a guitar from walmart, then after he learned how to tune it, he would tell clapton how to play a guitar solo..

i thought this guy should stop the bleeding and shut up..but then i realized what a good service you provide to the online communities..you present bad information and the industry pros will usually correct you..now you never accept the correction and argue till the letters wear off your keyboard, but the lurkers read the threads..they can see who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't..

so i would encourage you to present your side..not only is the resultant information useful to the new folks in the industry..it really fun entertainment..

Jun 18 05 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Dan RI

Providence, Rhode Island, US

Posted by piers: 

Ty Simone:
They pay extra for the Agency's service. Now, they are starting to realise they can get the same quality models (maybe - that is of course an arbitrary statement) for 15 - 20% less of the Web.

In reality that 20-30% or so is usually worth it to simply be able to make 2-3 phone calls and get a decent turnout for a casting.

The amount of difference in money is more like 30 % to 50%.

For the average agency takes 20 % from the models fee and charges an extra 20% to the client.

So if a model has a $1000  fee then she gets $800.
The client pays $1200.
And the agency makes $400 + other fees.

Jun 18 05 10:14 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

"...i thought this guy should stop the bleeding and shut up..but then i realized what a good service you provide to the online communities..you present bad information and the industry pros will usually correct you..now you never accept the correction and argue till the letters wear off your keyboard, but the lurkers read the threads..they can see who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't..

so i would encourage you to present your side..not only is the resultant information useful to the new folks in the industry..it really fun entertainment.."

This bit of advice comes from a guy that actually believes Calvin Merit is a legitimate magazine publisher / photographer / model agency?!?!?

Jun 18 05 11:02 am Link

Model

AshleyDanielle

defenceless? please

and last but not least..

BARBIE Yes, the doll! Had one butterfly on her stomach, and more temp tats of flowers! tongue [/quote

when did they get all these tattoos done....?? research that! ;-)) you will be suprised how many did it AFTER they had achieved a modicum of success...

Sorry I just got my degree and am tired of research. I'M ON VACATION tongue~ lol

Jun 18 05 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

p h o t o f a s h i o n

defenceless? please

and last but not least..

Sorry I just got my degree and am tired of research. I'M ON VACATION tongue~ lol

that's a relief ;-)
it s so difficult for an arrogant proll like myself to put up a convincing argument with someone who does at least back up her statements with facts...well done on your degree..what was in it? statistics?? ;-)

Jun 18 05 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by theda: 
Does anyone recall the name of that French model (Eve?) who had a shaved head with alarge dragon tattooed on it? 

Eve Salvail.

LOVE her. One of my all-time favorites.

Sibyl Buck rocks too.

Jun 18 05 01:50 pm Link

Model

AshleyDanielle

defenceless? please

and last but not least..

that's a relief ;-)
it s so difficult for an arrogant proll like myself to put up a convincing argument with someone who does at least back up her statements with facts...well done on your degree..what was in it? statistics?? ;-)

I'll send you a message, because it's off topic of the thread. Although nothing wrong with a little bantering on topics. It's works the mind and challenges ones creativity in writing LOL well, as long as no one takes personal offense at it.

Jun 18 05 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

This was posted by a serious photographer on the issue of internet models.  It was posted on anyother site.  The author is from Arizona.

" Hi,
I am a working professional who is also a designer. I shoot for some of my clients when appropriate. Lately some of my clients have needed models for their work. Note: these are not nude or glamour shoots, they are commercial jobs. This last week was very frustrating in the model search/casting department. We were very descriptive in the job... how many shots, wardrobe etc. Simple shots for presentation brochures.

Two clients, two jobs. I took them to OMP so they could pick the talent choices for casting. They are used to using agencies, but both had seen a promo for OMP so they wanted to try it.

Here is a rough compilation of what happened:

Of the 12 models contacted, only 7 returned our email request.

Three wanted to bring her boyfriends to the shoot.

Only two would come to a casting call - hands were very important to one of my clients as there would be closeups of hands and jewelry.

Two of them wanted to see all the images to "approve" them. Hey, I've shot top models from major agencies and if it was a paying shoot, no one demanded "approval". For a commercial brochure?

Two of them wanted "all images on disc" to be delivered to them after the shoot. Of course that is not possible or even feasible. What about copyright if i do that? Good grief, I would be liable and my clients would have a fit.

Maybe it is me, but I don't think so. I have a good reputation here in Phoenix, and have been a pro for over 35 years.

How are other pros handling these things? Do you give models "approvals" - and we are talking paid assignments here, not tests, or what they call TFP. Do you give all the images away? I will never do that.

I am hoping for some insight. I am probably returning to the agencies if this continues.

Cheers,"

I found it very interesting.  And says things people try to get across but in a real life way.

Jun 18 05 04:38 pm Link

Model

Posted by !MDF: 
The amount of difference in money is more like 30 % to 50%.

For the average agency takes 20 % from the models fee and charges an extra 20% to the client.

So if a model has a $1000  fee then she gets $800.
The client pays $1200.
And the agency makes $400 + other fees.

Great post!

From a client (and if the photographer is hiring), this makes an agency model sometimes out of the budget.

And for the model, she or he may never even see the job offer because it's too low a dollar or other value for the agency.

Enter the freelance model, or what most of us are on the internet.

I appreciated Marksora's post too... here's from the other side of the coin.

What’s the difference? Aside from $ (which is a HUGE difference)? What is the difference between agency and freelance models?

(PhotoFashion: Did you mean freelance? Not internet)

With an agency – a model is called, goes to “go seeâ€?, and maybe gets picked. If so, she or he shows up for the shoot. The model does not do make up, hair, wardrobe, travel, background checks, accounting department, legal department, contracts, security…. And if UPN’s Top Model is right, in NYC they can make $25,000 a month for 20 hours of work. Remember the agency fees? Yes, expensive. And the life I so desperately desire. wink

Whereas on the other hand, a freelance model, it’s just the model on his or her own. And many times the model is expected to be a fantastic make up artist, professional hair stylist, provide their own wardrobe…. Not to mention all the other stuff. While I am a CPA candidate, I don’t have an accounting team processing payments and a collection agency running after unpaid work. While I am preparing for law school, I am not THAT familiar with contract and transactional law. Some models posted earlier that there are gigs they’ve never been paid for, photos they’ve never received – yeah me too!

Yes, I am signed with agencies. But in Atlanta, the majority of my work was freelance. I’m tattoo free and except for my ears – piercing free. I don’t go to shoots alone – look up "Kristine Johnson" in newscasts - but my chaperone is a professional and any client would refer. I’ll work for free if it adds to my portfolio, is fantastic exposure or some other amazing and unique opportunity; but most jobs don’t.

I just moved to LA, it’s a completely different market, and I’m really looking forward to what it brings. I’ve been here one week and already I’ve been on a national television show – I’m ready for more!

Jun 18 05 04:53 pm Link

Model

BettyAnn

Nashville, Tennessee, US

To add to the models with tattoos thing....Masumi Max is another model with tattoos. And they're not for everyone...but they are getting more and more popular, maybe some people just don't like them and if you don't then you don't, but alot of people do. Getting a tattoo is becoming as popular as cutting your hair... soon the freaks will be the people that don't have them. And more and more tattoos and piercings are gracing the covers of magazines....a few popular vic secret models have thier navels pierced...

Jun 18 05 05:04 pm Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

i forgot one!....

PIERCINGS!....everywhere...all over ..even in places where i didnt think you could .....

gasp!

(going to edit my portfolio so someone will come work with me!)

Jun 18 05 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

p h o t o f a s h i o n

Posted by BettyAnn: 
To add to the models with tattoos thing....Masumi Max is another model with tattoos. And they're not for everyone...but they are getting more and more popular, maybe some people just don't like them and if you don't then you don't, but alot of people do. Getting a tattoo is becoming as popular as cutting your hair... soon the freaks will be the people that don't have them. And more and more tattoos and piercings are gracing the covers of magazines....a few popular vic secret models have thier navels pierced...

zzzzzzzzz...... what hey?? oh just woke up to point out a little known fact.....FASHION IS FICKLE...whats here today is gone tomorrow...ermmmm tattoos are pretty final. Grunge anyone??

Jun 18 05 05:39 pm Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

whoa!! thats a long list, must have taken a while... lots of talented girls there........ you forgot to name any models though.......oops!

Most of those women started out as models.

Jun 18 05 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

p h o t o f a s h i o n

Posted by DreamPretty?: 

Most of those women started out as models.

true....and you know what?? most of them tattoed it up AFTER they were famous.....who knew?! ;-)

Jun 18 05 05:42 pm Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

Ah Theda..defender of the defenceless....Rebecca has ONE tiny circular tatoo on her calf..not on her back..or legs or breasts or neck or...ecc ecc ecc.... 

Hey, you brought it up. You said tattoos, and piercings, you didn't say where or how extravagant.

I have my nipples and my clit pierced, but since I don't do nude photos with other photogs than Hugh, I do not consider that to be an issue.

A lot of women become models in order to gain confidence and as an affirmation of their own identity and sexiness. Tattoos and piercings also accomplish that purpose. So does getting your nails done or dyeing your hair. Women augment themselves a great deal. It all comes down to what they find attractive or "cool"

Jun 18 05 05:45 pm Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

zzzzzzzzz...... what hey?? oh just woke up to point out a little known fact.....FASHION IS FICKLE...whats here today is gone tomorrow...ermmmm tattoos are pretty final. Grunge anyone??

If even the hottest fashion models can't compete in the fickle fashion market, then where is the hope for us internet models? Maybe we will find more opportunities in our own little pond then out there in the big world of print modeling...just a thought.

Jun 18 05 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

p h o t o f a s h i o n

Posted by DreamPretty?: 

Ah Theda..defender of the defenceless....Rebecca has ONE tiny circular tatoo on her calf..not on her back..or legs or breasts or neck or...ecc ecc ecc.... 

Hey, you brought it up. You said tattoos, and piercings, you didn't say where or how extravagant.

I have my nipples and my clit pierced, but since I don't do nude photos with other photogs than Hugh, I do not consider that to be an issue.

A lot of women become models in order to gain confidence and as an affirmation of their own identity and sexiness. Tattoos and piercings also accomplish that purpose. So does getting your nails done or dyeing your hair. Women augment themselves a great deal. It all comes down to what they find attractive or "cool"

Point one i said  TATTO MAD!! ;-) pierced private parts sounds very painful and mindly erotic but is nt going to influence your chances of work...piercing your earlobes so they have a whopping great 5cm hole in the middle (i have seen that a few times on this site ) is.

Point two...This is a business we (well I at least) am doing it as a passionate way of making money. It is not about the affirmation of women. A model - IF she wants to work - has to present herself as a blank canvas on which stylists photographers clients ect can paint her nails, dye her hair.ecc.ecc..

Point three...have you ever been out of your neck of the woods?? You might find that you work more rather than less!

Jun 18 05 06:00 pm Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

Point one i said  TATTO MAD!! ;-) pierced private parts sounds very painful and mindly erotic but is nt going to influence your chances of work...piercing your earlobes so they have a whopping great 5cm hole in the middle (i have seen that a few times on this site ) is.

Point two...This is a business we (well I at least) am doing it as a passionate way of making money. It is not about the affirmation of women. A model - IF she wants to work - has to present herself as a blank canvas on which stylists photographers clients ect can paint her nails, dye her hair.ecc.ecc..

Point three...have you ever been out of your neck of the woods?? You might find that you work more rather than less!

Okay you are right, you did say tattoo mad. And I agree that huge holes are pretty unusual, but I have known extremely gorgeous models with them. One of Hugh's models when I met him, Wiyaka, had some pretty large holes in her ears...but god damn was she beautiful!

I'm just saying that young women these days are experimenting and it may be simply necessary to work with that. I do not like the idea of a photographer just deciding to dye my hair or cut it...but I guess that's what trust is all about.

And yes, I have been out of my "neck" of the woods. I was raised in Los Angeles, went to Stanford University for two years...but I love Hugh, and our home is here in Oregon.

P.S: Rebecca Romjin used to be a J.Crew model

Jun 18 05 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

p h o t o f a s h i o n

Posted by DreamPretty?: 
And yes, I have been out of my "neck" of the woods. I was raised in Los Angeles, went to Stanford University for two years...but I love Hugh, and our home is here in Oregon.

well he's a very lucky chap.

Jun 18 05 06:17 pm Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

Posted by DreamPretty?: 

well he's a very lucky chap.

Smiles...

Jun 18 05 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by SayCheeZ!: 

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

"...i thought this guy should stop the bleeding and shut up..but then i realized what a good service you provide to the online communities..you present bad information and the industry pros will usually correct you..now you never accept the correction and argue till the letters wear off your keyboard, but the lurkers read the threads..they can see who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't..

so i would encourage you to present your side..not only is the resultant information useful to the new folks in the industry..it really fun entertainment.."

This bit of advice comes from a guy that actually believes Calvin Merit is a legitimate magazine publisher / photographer / model agency?!?!?

how wonderful of you to suggest you know anything about what i believe...i dont "believe" calvin merrit is anything.. i have no knowledge of him first hand..i have no opinion of him..all i have seen is you and your buddies view of him...

but at this point..the one thing i believe..

is that your an ass.

Jun 18 05 09:21 pm Link

Model

Madame Cosmos

Atlanta, Georgia, US

you forgot their always late, & the shoots they do are to update their omp/mm's.
hahahah

Jun 18 05 11:48 pm Link