Forums > General Industry > Americas Next Top Model.....

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

Jayne Jones wrote:
In all my ranting, I almost forgot to wish everyone that either wanted to try out, made it to the semi-finals, or even the show:

GOOD LUCK CHICAS!!!

Thanks Jayne!

Feb 09 06 03:27 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Corena wrote:
The only physical requirement that I know of for ANTM is height. From what I understand, they do take plus size models as well.

Yup!  There was that Robin chic from cycle 1 and Tocorra from cycle 2 (I think it was cycle 2).

Feb 09 06 03:30 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
I'm honestly surprised that you would make a statement like that.  Particularly considering you aren't fitting within the waif WASP industry standard yourself.  You are living proof of what I'm talking about. . .someone that doesn't "perfectly" fit the 5'9" 110 32a, 24, 33 profile.

I also live in North Carolina....lol not too much of a modeling industry here. 

I have agency representation by three tiny agencies that I never get any work from, and the agencies that do get work tell  me they will use me once I lose 10 lbs. 

I have accomplished nothing in the industry other than the fact that I do a lot of TFP with great photographers and make some cool images - which I am fine with because I am a self-proclaimed hobbyist....but I take this hobby very seriously and love doing it.....

Sure, I get paid jobs every so often...but those are few and far between and I would never bet my life on them.

Jayne Jones wrote:
Times are changing, and finally. . .slowly. . .so is the industry.

Sure you have your apple bottoms and your roca wears and those urban cltohing lines that are geared towards curvaceous figures...but in general, the industry is not so much changing other than the fact that unique ethnicities are in right now. height and weight requirements for gucci, donna karen, calvin klein, prada, louis vuitton, and all of the others that pay their models hundreds of thousands of dollars and more will always want their models tall and gangly...i, unfortunately and realistically, don't see that changing anytime soon....

Feb 09 06 03:32 pm Link

Model

Ina

yes they do.

Feb 09 06 03:33 pm Link

Model

zionah

Huntington Beach, California, US

I was going to try out for ANTM but im only 5'5...bummer huh! But oh well... Best of luck to you girls!!!!

Feb 09 06 03:35 pm Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

zionah wrote:
I was going to try out for ANTM but im only 5'5...bummer huh! But oh well... Best of luck to you girls!!!!

Thanks Zionah!

Feb 09 06 03:36 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

p.s. just because tyra is curvy now, doesn't mean it is changing either. she herself has said (in her speech to kima about her weight) that she can eat what she wants because she has paid her dues and the fashion industry will never be lenient with new models....she has graphic designers who are paid oodles to edit her pictures and make her look like she has a perfectly curvy body....she can do that because she is tyra...she was a stick figure like all of the rest of them in the beginning until she made a serious name for herself

again please don't think I am trying to bring anyone down...you just have to be realistic about these things because there are too many aspiring models out there who have false perceptions about this industry.  it's the truth....

there are *rare* cases where there are exceptions. So I am not saying never, I'm just saying don't put your money on it....

*damnit* why do I have to seem like the bad guy?!

Feb 09 06 03:36 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:
p.s. just because tyra is curvy now, doesn't mean it is changing either. she herself has said (in her speech to kima about her weight) that she can eat what she wants because she has paid her dues and the fashion industry will never be lenient with new models....

again please don't think I am trying to bring anyone down...you just have to be realistic about these things because there are too many aspiring models out there who have false perceptions about this industry.  it's the truth....

Well fortunately for me, I don't depend on what I see to help me get anywhere.  And Tyra is not my measurement of "change in the industry standard", nor are the byproducts of her shows.  I'm looking at how when you get a Lane Bryant catalog. . they're no longer using size 6 models to sell a size 20 product.  I'm speaking of how Dove is trying to use more "real" people.  It's kind of like when people stopped watching Dynasty and started watching Jerry Springer (Dynasty may be a little before your time. . .I dunno).  People got tired of looking at lifestyles they would never have. ..ratings went down the tubes. . .the network changed it's focus to what people wanted to see.  Dove has realized that the "average person" doesn't buy a product from a Supermodel. . .they buy a product because they can "identify" with the spokesperson (even if she just happens to be a model).  Does that make sense???  I don't know what you're studying in school, but you learn that in marketing.  It's commonly called finding a niche.

As for you being the "bad guy". . .I don't think you are sweetie.  I think that you have very realistic expectations.  I just urge anyone I come in contact with to not "settle" for what you can get. . .but rather to go after what you want!  Being a model is work.  Finding gigs is work.  I think THAT's why a lot of people don't make it. . .they see the glamour/glitz and not the effort and pavement pounding.  The world is so much bigger than NC or NYC or MO or wherever any ONE person is at this particular moment in time.  If you aren't that serious about being a model. . .stay content with being in NC and working with the three agencies you've hired.  OR. . .you could branch out and make bigger/better contacts.  It's all about how bad you want it.

Even your girl Tyra said when she was first starting out, she went everywhere and told anyone that would listen "I can do anything!"  She wanted it and she wanted it bad.  She faced obstacles just like anyone else can and probably will.  Now I know what you're going to say "She was also tall."  *lol*  Yeah, and thin and she still had to beat down doors until the right one opened.  So even if you "fit" there's no guarantee. . .so in light of that why waste time trying to fit???  Focus on what you DO have instead of what you don't.  Never know until you try.  And Top Model is so not the only venue out there to get exposure and make a name for yourself.  No offense to the fans, but thus far it's biggest success is in Playboy.

I'm going to say this last thing and then I promise y'all I'm done.  *waits for applause to subside*  Russell Simmons has these so-called laws of success.  Normally, I take them as good food for thought, but one stood out.  I'm just going to paraphrase it.  He said something like "Being successful means going into business to make a difference. . .not a profit.  Be in it because you can contribute to it."  If you ponder that for a minute. . .it's pretty powerful.

You all have been a great insight and I hope to see more of you all out there.  I'm taking my first ever shots on the 15th. . .so if you're curious about what I'm doing check me out next week. 

Take care and God bless!

Feb 09 06 04:00 pm Link

Model

Ina

I got back yesterday for the semi-final round. It was a very, very long day!

Feb 15 06 04:16 pm Link

Model

Trevasia

Livermore, California, US

Ina wrote:
Did anyone else tryout?

I tried out last week! Yay! It went better than I thought it would. How

QUESTION: How long does it take to have a passport sent to you? They say if you dont already have one by the time they call (assuming you get a call), then they wont use you for the show.

Feb 22 06 02:54 am Link

Model

kmarcell

Gouverneur, New York, US

Hi there, girls, I was going over this thread,And this is amazing here, but for my say so here on this i got a intereview yesterday form model search and talked to a guy ame fred, and I was so excited about it and they took a look over my pictures him and another guy an he said that he has to talk to this guy to except me for this fred and the other, staff. and asked me,you are 39 yr he said i said yes and well, he said you do not look like it and i know i love it, and he said that i looked good for my age. but the whole thing about is,I did get exceopted in this and i will be going to las vegas he said to me. I sent in a application my self and to the americas top model as well and sent tyra a email at that, to. Im only 5"1  and a bust 32a, hips 34 waist 30 and i do look good and stay fit and i look like a 30 yr. BUT ISNT LIFE GRAND, BUT theres a fee for this to, 1295.00the deposit is to reserve your seat to all the agency you are going to get and all accomdations are included with meals and everythign 3days and 2 nights. in april 7,8,9. this is excellent, i thik and well they said i look good, to hair and makeup provided, runways will be also and everyting you see on tyras show, well i got my foot in the door here. cool. im short and petite and fully tanned also ,But it only comes around once a 1yr, so  why not do it, caus etheres alot of agewncys looking for new faces and mdles for this. let me know on ths what you thik, i have to call them back soon here though. thanks i woud say go for it all, im a go getter and well gor for it, you can at least say that you done it and tryed it to as well. see ya for now, get back to you later kmarcell.

Feb 22 06 08:13 am Link

Model

Maggie Shirk

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

woops

Feb 22 06 12:45 pm Link

Model

Maggie Shirk

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

kmarcell wrote:
Hi there, girls, I was going over this thread,And this is amazing here, but for my say so here on this i got a intereview yesterday form model search and talked to a guy ame fred, and I was so excited about it and they took a look over my pictures him and another guy an he said that he has to talk to this guy to except me for this fred and the other, staff. and asked me,you are 39 yr he said i said yes and well, he said you do not look like it and i know i love it, and he said that i looked good for my age. but the whole thing about is,I did get exceopted in this and i will be going to las vegas he said to me. I sent in a application my self and to the americas top model as well and sent tyra a email at that, to. Im only 5"1  and a bust 32a, hips 34 waist 30 and i do look good and stay fit and i look like a 30 yr. BUT ISNT LIFE GRAND, BUT theres a fee for this to, 1295.00the deposit is to reserve your seat to all the agency you are going to get and all accomdations are included with meals and everythign 3days and 2 nights. in april 7,8,9. this is excellent, i thik and well they said i look good, to hair and makeup provided, runways will be also and everyting you see on tyras show, well i got my foot in the door here. cool. im short and petite and fully tanned also ,But it only comes around once a 1yr, so  why not do it, caus etheres alot of agewncys looking for new faces and mdles for this. let me know on ths what you thik, i have to call them back soon here though. thanks i woud say go for it all, im a go getter and well gor for it, you can at least say that you done it and tryed it to as well. see ya for now, get back to you later kmarcell.

I want some of whatever crazy stuff you are taking..........  I cant understand half of what you wrote.... and I think you should seriously read up on some of the MAJOR modeling SCAMS out there.... but then, thats just my humble opinion...

Feb 22 06 12:47 pm Link

Model

Lamar Scott

New York, New York, US

NinoRoy wrote:
hold the phone.. are they still having tryouts? if they are, then who are these girls previewed for this next season:

http://www.upn.com/shows/top_model6/

I was wondering the same thing b/c they have been advertising the new season for a couple of weeks and the premiere in 2 weeks

Feb 22 06 01:00 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Marie

Highland, New York, US

Feb 22 06 01:04 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Marie

Highland, New York, US

Good luck..............

You are better off sending in your info and tape.
It's going to be a massive cattle call.  I went to the New York open call last year and waited in line from 8:30 am-7:30 pm.  After a long day like that they just get you in and out and don't bother even doing interviews.  They put people on camera saying there height, weight and age by the time 7:30pm rolled around.  The tapes and applications have to be in by Feb. 23rd as per WWW.UPN.COM!

Feb 22 06 01:04 pm Link

Model

Yanique

BRONX, New York, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:
p.s. just because tyra is curvy now, doesn't mean it is changing either. she herself has said (in her speech to kima about her weight) that she can eat what she wants because she has paid her dues and the fashion industry will never be lenient with new models....

Well fortunately for me, I don't depend on what I see to help me get anywhere.  And Tyra is not my measurement of "change in the industry standard", nor are the byproducts of her shows.  I'm looking at how when you get a Lane Bryant catalog. . they're no longer using size 6 models to sell a size 20 product.  I'm speaking of how Dove is trying to use more "real" people.  It's kind of like when people stopped watching Dynasty and started watching Jerry Springer (Dynasty may be a little before your time. . .I dunno).  People got tired of looking at lifestyles they would never have. ..ratings went down the tubes. . .the network changed it's focus to what people wanted to see.  Dove has realized that the "average person" doesn't buy a product from a Supermodel. . .they buy a product because they can "identify" with the spokesperson (even if she just happens to be a model).  Does that make sense???  I don't know what you're studying in school, but you learn that in marketing.  It's commonly called finding a niche.

When did you see Lane Bryant use size 6 models..they don't even carry size 6 the truth is if you want to do runway and high fashion modeling i.e gucci, versace, louis...you either have to be a certain size unless your a celebrity.

Feb 22 06 01:08 pm Link

Model

Message Me

Los Angeles, California, US

I have had my experience with ANTM. For me, I got the interview and I thought things went well...in the end they told me I looked too much like a model. They want girl who they can mold into a model....evidently.

Feb 22 06 01:12 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Marie

Highland, New York, US

Lamar Scott wrote:

I was wondering the same thing b/c they have been advertising the new season for a couple of weeks and the premiere in 2 weeks

They HAVE to finish having these cattle casting calls.  They probably have had the girls picked for some time now!

Feb 22 06 01:14 pm Link

Model

Message Me

They cast for every season way in advance, you might interview with one season but they already have someone like you so they stick you in the next season. It's all a reality tv rig.

Feb 22 06 01:15 pm Link

Model

Sarina Taylor

I tried out for last session, i went to an audiction at CBS studio. Six hundred girls tried out and they only picked 75 and i was one of those 75 but i didnt get a call back for the hotel finalist, but the tip that i want to give you guys is that tyra's looking for drama on her show,not true beauty cause look at the pick from last year, what was that!!!!!!! so just bring it to tyra serve her up a plate of something nice,  Oh and its a question on the application that ask you who's your favorite super model make sure your favorite model is Tyra, my friend that made it to the hotel finalist, she said that tyra read her app and asked he why she didnt pick her, but she said trya didnt pick her because of that, i dont know how true that is so just in case put tyra

Feb 22 06 01:20 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Marie

Highland, New York, US

Feb 22 06 01:23 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Marie

Highland, New York, US

KMARCELL WROTE::::------>

kmarcell wrote:

FINALLY!!!!!  I FOUND HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To:
KMARCELL

YOU are the perfect example why people think that models are unintelligent!  I can't believe that you would post something that looks like that.  Did you have a 3rd grader write it?  Unbelievable..................

Feb 22 06 01:24 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

I'm going to say this last thing and then I promise y'all I'm done.  *waits for applause to subside*  Russell Simmons has these so-called laws of success.  Normally, I take them as good food for thought, but one stood out.  I'm just going to paraphrase it.  He said something like "Being successful means going into business to make a difference. . .not a profit.  Be in it because you can contribute to it."  If you ponder that for a minute. . .it's pretty powerful.

Thats is soo true...everyone is in it for the money but more so to change the eyes of the "world"....dont ponder on what you dont got and limit your self...your a human being soo use what you have..work hard at it ....produce something great and youll get more opportunites....and dont be afraid to jump to opportunities that seem out of your reach... soo too jayne

Feb 22 06 01:25 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Marie

Highland, New York, US

Feb 22 06 01:25 pm Link

Model

Sara Beth

New York, New York, US

i'm kinda late, but i'm next daying my stuff later today. i'm a plus sized model, but i'm still  hopeful and optamstic smile

Feb 22 06 01:26 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Marie

Highland, New York, US

Feb 22 06 01:27 pm Link

Model

Lamar Scott

New York, New York, US

kmarcell wrote:

are u talking about the model search of america b/c i go that phone interview and the said that i got in. it sounded like a good plan until they told me about the expenses which would have totaled around $ 2000 including travel expenses. so me being 18 of course i couldnt afford it. something was telling me not to do it too plus i live in nyc so it'll be easier for me to contact agencies in person.

Feb 22 06 01:27 pm Link

Model

Chelsea Gilgore

Seattle, Washington, US

The video for ATM is due tomorrow right? What are you guys including in your video?

Feb 22 06 01:31 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

kmarcell wrote:
...BUT theres a fee for this to, 1295.00the deposit...

If I understood what you wrote correctly, then I have only one suggestion:  DO.  NOT.  DO.  IT.

They are ripping you off and you will not benefit at all from having done it.  It is a big fat juicy scam.

Feb 22 06 01:39 pm Link

Model

Alex Is

Dallas, Texas, US

WOW --- you guys have posted so much information
(the good, the bad, and the ugly)

I just wanted to tell all of you who got call backs good luck and scratch all of the negativity from others about the show's or Tyra's ulterior motives.  So what if the show is using u for good ratings - I hope u in turn use the show for maximum exposure and to open up future opportunities.

Feb 22 06 01:45 pm Link

Model

Kuande

Syracuse, New York, US

2 years from now when you ladies and gents see my pictures EVERYWHERE I will create the male counterpart for ANTM... I will call it Male Models Work Too Damnit... well maybe without the damnit part.  sorry, just wanted to break up the monotany a bit.  congrats to all who made it and strive for all who desire to or did not...

Feb 22 06 01:58 pm Link

Model

Uzuri

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Unfortunatley I was unable to apply for next season. I heard that Tyra only has a few more seasons left, does anyone know how many???

Feb 22 06 02:07 pm Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

kmarcell wrote:

Sweetie, that's a scam.

Feb 22 06 02:27 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Kerry Johnston wrote:
When did you see Lane Bryant use size 6 models..they don't even carry size 6

It was a very very very very long time ago.  BEFORE there was a plus-sized "model".  Before Emme.  Google it.  I'm not makin it up.  Damn. . .am I really THAT old????

Feb 23 06 04:30 am Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

CristinaLex wrote:
Thats is soo true...everyone is in it for the money but more so to change the eyes of the "world"....dont ponder on what you dont got and limit your self...your a human being soo use what you have..work hard at it ....produce something great and youll get more opportunites....and dont be afraid to jump to opportunities that seem out of your reach... soo too jayne

What a beautiful sentiment.  I'm touched.  Truly.  I'm tearin up here.

Feb 23 06 04:33 am Link

Model

kmarcell

Gouverneur, New York, US

Lamar Scott wrote:

are u talking about the model search of america b/c i go that phone interview and the said that i got in. it sounded like a good plan until they told me about the expenses which would have totaled around $ 2000 including travel expenses. so me being 18 of course i couldnt afford it. something was telling me not to do it too plus i live in nyc so it'll be easier for me to contact agencies in person.

Hi there, yes it was, And im sorry for the mix up on the typing, But i had to type fast as i could to exspress what i had to say. I was getting your opinions here,  I thought it was to much. BUT im glad that you understood me as well as kita did to, thanks for being so nice to me and understanding, I do know how to use a space bar and i knnow what im saying at that. But you know what im a good model, Everyone makes mistakes, Sorry it doesnt suite to your needs,I think every model should stick together and help one another,than critisize your typing, everyones not perfect, Im sorry for this again, I thought that i could use  your opinions, thanks kmarcell.  EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES,

Feb 23 06 08:55 am Link

Model

adenajoy

San Francisco, California, US

I'm wayyy to short/fat, but I love watching the show. If anything, it teaches a lot about posing and what makes a good photograph. Hopefully,  I'll get to put this education to use one day, TFP-style.

Feb 23 06 08:58 am Link

Model

PinayVampyre

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Good Luck to everyone that's auditioning!

Alas I can only live bicariously through you guys lol.

Feb 23 06 09:37 am Link

Model

Constance Hilory

Mobile, Alabama, US

Good luck everyone. I was thinking about doing it but I think that an outgoing and crazy personality goes a long way for that show......not so much as the looks, know what I mean? Point being.....I'm pretty laid back and dull.....I would not be that much fun to watch. ;-D

Feb 23 06 09:42 am Link