Forums > General Industry > Actors Headshot Question

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

My hair is growing out- fast. So I need new acting headshots frequently.

That was not my intent at this shoot, but I kind of like how this came out.

I am thinking of using it as a headshot, but I am not sure if it is appropriate. A head shot is supposed to represent your true face, and in this shot I have a lot of makeup on and fasle eyelashes...Is it too much?

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v25/nakedkatie2000/Headshot.jpg

Feb 08 06 06:46 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

i can't see it, captain

wink

Feb 08 06 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

I don't know, but it's certainly an awesome photo of you!

(assuming it's the first one in your portfolio)

Feb 08 06 06:48 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

cant see.  sad

Feb 08 06 07:19 pm Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

Are you linking straight to a picture in your email? it's not working and when i try copying and pasting the url it leads to gmail.
nevermind! problem solved smile

Feb 08 06 07:45 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Well, for some reason the picture won't show for me.

But to give a solution to your dilemna.
As a working actor I can tell you this...
Many actresses with long or fast growing hair will wear their hair back. Even in a pony tail. For black and white photos this is ideal considering it will show your face and only your face removin the distraction that is your hair length. B&W accents a person's face in it's truth. Also get the headshot done as a 1/2 or 3/4 body shot...stopping at just below your waist or mid thigh (suggested for ALL unknown actors.) But emphasis remains on your face by blowing out background and wearing form fitting (not tight) jeans and a simple solid color shirt. A simple beauty shot with a pony tail.

No matter how much your hair changes casting directors still see what YOU look like without your hair interfering.

Sorry, I went a little beyond just the hair issue. smile

Feb 08 06 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Henricus

Houston, Texas, US

"A head shot is supposed to represent your true face,"

Katie, where did you hear this?  I thought head shots were used to show your versitility.  The one actor I photographed, wants several head shots with different looks.  The first ones I took of him he wore a beard with long-ish hair.  He wants some with a mustache only, go-tee(sp?), fu manchu(sp?) and finally clean shaven.  IMHO, the more varity you have the more marketable you are.  My 2 cents.

Feb 08 06 07:54 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

I fixed the URL...is that better?

Feb 08 06 08:29 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Henricus wrote:

Katie, where did you hear this?  I thought head shots were used to show your versitility.  The one actor I photographed, wants several head shots with different looks.  The first ones I took of him he wore a beard with long-ish hair.  He wants some with a mustache only, go-tee(sp?), fu manchu(sp?) and finally clean shaven.  IMHO, the more varity you have the more marketable you are.  My 2 cents.

Well, that statement Katie made is right.
Casting directors ONLY want headshots of what you honestly look like.

But, you are right also...except this appes to experienced actors.

Reasons why simple:
1.) As a beginning actor, casting directors don't want anything too dramatic because you're most likely not going for a significant role. If it is a character they w
nt, they will inform you and you come "in person" dressed for that charater. Or at least prepared. Simple is better.
2.) A beginning actor with varying headshots will cause him/her to get lost among casting directors as they don't remember him/her.
3.) You're not experienced/known well
enough for them to care about your versatility.
4.) It gets very costly to have several different headshots lurking around.
5.) You less than 5 movie credits to your resume. No casting director is going to stare at a dramatoc headshot that has NO credentials attached. If you present yourself as a professional but nothi to add to it...and no knowledge on set....let's just say it won't have a good outcome. And the world of acting is more "behind your back" defamation than the upfront rudeness that is in modeling.

Reasons why versatile:
1.) As an experienced actor if you have the same plain headshot, casting directors will get  ored and think you've reache
your peek. (Also, you NEED to have a demo-reel. It tends to become more important for experienced actors than a headshot.)
2.) You've worked enough to know what expressions you want to convey.
3.) You now have 'styles'. So you want a headshot that cates to each style. (You can submit a specific expression/look to a specific role without loading the CD with tons of unnecessary pictures.
4.) It's is cost effective for you now. You've worked enough to validate spending money on various headshoys and demo reels and marketing materials.
5.) You're ready to be angry, crazy, in love, deep, happy, hurt and insightful. You have t
ese emotions on lock. Get a headshot that shows your range in each.

Basically, it just depends on where you're at in your career. If you feel you're ready, get versatile(sp?). But, if you haven't reach that point...leqve it alone. Don't sell something you don't posses.

Feb 08 06 08:47 pm Link

Model

LaurenS

This is a great modeling shot, but you may need one with teeth for acting. Smile, that is.

Feb 08 06 08:51 pm Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

I don't think it's too much at all. Good, neutral makeup, the lashes don't look tacky or fake at all. You look very pretty. smile

Feb 08 06 08:57 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I think the lashes might throw it off a little.  Aren't headshots in color in NY now?

Feb 08 06 09:09 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Katie.....that is "almost" a great headshot. Don't use it.

1. Get rid of the eye lashes. It's not you and it puts too much attention around your eyes and not on your eyes.
2. The black background is a no. Unless you're doing theatre. Commercial headshots...get out of the studio...or get an interesting lifestyle backdrop. A living room, kitchen, bookstore, office, etc...
3. Your skin. NOOOO!!!!
That headshot would get tossed for that reason alone.
In this particular one, you can see the bluring done to your skin.

Important Note:
The only things you should ever do to a headshot...
1. Fixing temporary blemishes and scars.
2. Color-correction.
3. Lighting correction.

The things you shouldn't ever do to a headshot...
1. No skin smoothing. You will NEVER look like that on camera. The plastic look is a no-go. Just get a GOOD make-up artist.
2. (Future reference) No photographer's copyright logo. CDs do NOT care who took the photograph.
3. Do not use colors that are too similar or too different. Soft, mid-level colors are always recommended.
Contrasting colors give you a harsh image. Too hot.
Too similar of colors blends everything together. Too cold.
You look like little more than a head and nothing else.

Feb 08 06 09:16 pm Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

Angelus wrote:
Katie.....that is "almost" a great headshot. Don't use it.

1. Get rid of the eye lashes. It's not you and it puts too much attention around your eyes and not on your eyes.
2. The black background is a no. Unless you're doing theatre. Commercial headshots...get out of the studio...or get an interesting lifestyle backdrop. A living room, kitchen, bookstore, office, etc...
3. Your skin. NOOOO!!!!
That headshot would get tossed for that reason alone.
In this particular one, you can see the bluring done to your skin.

Important Note:
The only things you should ever do to a headshot...
1. Fixing temporary blemishes and scars.
2. Color-correction.
3. Lighting correction.

The things you shouldn't ever do to a headshot...
1. No skin smoothing. You will NEVER look like that on camera. The plastic look is a no-go. Just get a GOOD make-up artist.
2. (Future reference) No photographer's copyright logo. CDs do NOT care who took the photograph.
3. Do not use colors that are too similar or too different. Soft, mid-level colors are always recommended.
Contrasting colors give you a harsh image. Too hot.
Too similar of colors blends everything together. Too cold.
You look like little more than a head and nothing else.

I stand corrected yikes
(I still like the picture though...) smile

Feb 08 06 09:18 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

...Stacy wrote:
I think the lashes might throw it off a little.  Aren't headshots in color in NY now?

About half of NY is color.
You still have alot of traditionalists wanring B&W. Which B&W is still always acceptable unless they specifically say color.

It's good to have both...
Cause you never know who you run into.

Feb 08 06 09:24 pm Link

Model

Sara Beth

New York, New York, US

it's nice, but you look a little lustful in my opinion (a little "come hither")...a lot of the well known ppl have their headshots up on imdb.com....that might be a good place to look for ideas!

Feb 08 06 09:26 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Angelus
Thanks a lot for all the advice...
My acting has been on hold for a while and I feel like I am falling out of the loop.
Thank you for your winsdom.

Feb 08 06 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Rawson

Massapequa Park, New York, US

i like it... most actors use studio shots with muslim backdrops for headshots but this one has that simplistic look that casting directors will probably look for. in my opinion headshots are the hardest photos to take and this is a good one of you.... use it until you get something that you think will be better for it.

Feb 08 06 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Brian Rawson wrote:
i like it... most actors use studio shots with muslim backdrops .....

Um, why muslims?

Feb 08 06 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Kuck

Columbia, Tennessee, US

If you don't look like your headshot, when you walk into the casting agents office you will not get the work. If you don't wear false eyelashes on a regular basis or wear that much makeup, don't use it as a headshot. I don't think your agency would let you use it anyway.

shawn

Feb 08 06 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

Rawson

David Moyle wrote:

Um, why muslims?

I never said I liked those backdrops but thats just what appears to me to be the standard for acting.
I used to work at a print shop off broadway and that is what most of the actors printed.
I could be wrong tho.... I've been wrong before.

Feb 08 06 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Brian Rawson wrote:

I never said I liked those backdrops but thats just what appears to me to be the standard for acting.
I used to work at a print shop off broadway and that is what most of the actors printed.

Oh, you meant Muslins...with an "N".

Whew, I thought there was gonna be more rioting.

Feb 08 06 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Rawson

David Moyle wrote:

See, there I go again... I'm not perfect and my spelling is far from perfect. I meant the backdrop, not the people.... sorry about that one.

Feb 08 06 10:48 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

David Moyle wrote:

lol...you really didn't know he meant muslins?

Feb 08 06 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Nemi wrote:
lol...you really didn't know he meant muslins?

Yes, I did, (I own a few) I was just being a snot!

Feb 08 06 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Brian Rawson wrote:

See, there I go again... I'm not perfect and my spelling is far from perfect. I meant the backdrop, not the people.... sorry about that one.

Just razzin you!

Feb 08 06 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Brian Rawson wrote:

And those are the same actors who pay $99 for their headshots and wonder why they're still waiting tables.

Feb 08 06 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Katie, I think you've too much makeup, and there's something about the tilt of your head that throws me off.  As a model shot, it's better, but I don't see an actor there.

(And can you use a non-watermarked version--or at least a different watermark--for your web promotions?  That one is particularly huge, ugly, and obtrusive.)

Feb 08 06 11:03 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
(And can you use a non-watermarked version--or at least a different watermark--for your web promotions?  That one is particularly huge, ugly, and obtrusive.)

Not fot web promotions....but hes willing to take it off for printing ( thank god)

Feb 09 06 12:34 am Link

Photographer

photog in boxes

STUDIO CITY, California, US

From what I know, Kitapanda's pretty correct.  This is a good shot of you, but it's a bit too "modely".  And the hair thing is a problem.  You have to find your look and stick with it.  Your headshot should look exactly like you really look.  You can't submit a short hair shot and show up with it long.  Or submit a shot that makes you look all glammed up and you're really kinda nerdy.  Knew a girl like that, she just couldn't accept what her real look was.  She kept trying to be an ingenue when she was a character girl.  Oh, and a casting director told me once that you should have one spot of light in your eye.  Odd comment I thought, but he said no reflections or several give an unnatural feeling that he didn't like.

Feb 09 06 12:42 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

photog in boxes wrote:
And the hair thing is a problem.  You have to find your look and stick with it.  Your headshot should look exactly like you really look.  You can't submit a short hair shot and show up with it long.

I realize this, and thats why I need new headshots so often....woe is me.

Feb 09 06 12:47 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I agree the eye make-up is a bit too heavy for an actor's headshot and the angle obscures your features slightly. Of course, the big elephant-sized watermark would also be a no-no, but I assume that wouldn't be on the print itself anyway.  It's a nice b&w beauty shot, but I'd try to get something simpler for acting.

Feb 09 06 01:32 am Link

Photographer

Rawson

Brian Diaz wrote:
And those are the same actors who pay $99 for their headshots and wonder why they're still waiting tables.

Actually Katie Holmes was rockin a Muslin background headshot but i dont think she is the waitress type.... well besides playing one on tv smile

Feb 09 06 02:50 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Brian Rawson wrote:

Actually Katie Holmes was rockin a Muslin background headshot but i dont think she is the waitress type.... well besides playing one on tv smile

Was it wronkled up? wink

Feb 09 06 02:58 am Link

Photographer

Chris Sista

Los Angeles, California, US

I shoot primarily headshots myself, my closest friends are casting directors, AND I live with one. And I can say that every single thing Angelus has said in this topic is 100% correct, and anyone getting headshots should study what he said before showing up to a session. What you have is a great photo, but too much for a headshot.  And I don't know what the situation is in New York, but in LA it's only color. Also, hair should be simple. Your face matters, your hair gets changed the second you show up on set.

- Chris

Feb 09 06 02:59 am Link

Photographer

Gregory Storm

Burbank, California, US

Nemi wrote:
My hair is growing out- fast. So I need new acting headshots frequently.

That was not my intent at this shoot, but I kind of like how this came out.

I am thinking of using it as a headshot, but I am not sure if it is appropriate. A head shot is supposed to represent your true face, and in this shot I have a lot of makeup on and fasle eyelashes...Is it too much?

You should NOT use this as an acting headshot.  This shot is too made up, too modely, and black & white.  Plus is not a flattering angle and the slight barrel distortion is just enough to say there is something off about the photo.  Though there are still a lot of people who make the hiring decisions who like B&W shots, LA is quickly moving to color.  When you are casting online color stands out from the B&W, so go with color.

Henricus wrote:

No.  Headshots are not supposed to show your versatility.  Headshots are supposed to represent you looking like you on a good day.  This actor you just shot doesn't sound like he knows what the hell he's doing.  He is all over the place and his ideas scream amateur.  Maybe it's a Texas thing.

Sara Beth wrote:
...a lot of the well known ppl have their headshots up on imdb.com....that might be a good place to look for ideas!

I shot headshots today of someone who looked up women in her type to see what they used.  Just remember that the shots on IMDb could be their publicity shots and not the same as the ones their agents submit.

Brian Rawson wrote:
use it until you get something that you think will be better for it.

Katie, don't waste time and money on a shot that is not good.  Having no shot is better than having a bad shot.

Feb 09 06 03:21 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

If someone doing a casting were to look at a 'plain' picture of an actor, they would be able to imagine that person with whatever makeup - or look - they wanted.  But if the person in the picture already has makeup on, unless it's pretty neutral, then the person looking at the picture has to mentally remove that make-up before considering the actor for a part.

It's easier to keep things plain and simple.

Feb 09 06 03:40 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

photog in boxes wrote:
Oh, and a casting director told me once that you should have one spot of light in your eye.  Odd comment I thought, but he said no reflections or several give an unnatural feeling that he didn't like.

They're called highlights, and they're meant to be from the main lighting source, and it gives the eyes a sparkle of life.  Apparently.  These days they're often added during manipulation.  There should be one in each eye, in the same place, and they should gleam like the Star of Bethlehem.

Feb 09 06 03:49 am Link

Photographer

Gregory Storm

Burbank, California, US

HEADSHOT TIPS FROM A WORKING ACTOR
More important than my acting experience, in this matter, is my directing experience.  I have been on the other side of the table as the one hiring you.

How long do you think the average high volume casting office spends looking at your submitted photo? I would say less than 2.5 seconds.  If you get more than three seconds, you're probably getting called in.

The following tips are what I have come to learn works for professional actors.

Know why you are taking the photo.
What is your age range-- your realistic age range?  What are your agents going to submit you for?  What type of roles?

Be natural
Your headshots should represent you in yout truest light.  Let you personality and uniqueness shine through in the photos.  If you are not a big smile person, don't smile big in the shot because it won't look natural.

Wear simple clothes.
Unlike modeling, this is not a fashion show.  Who you are wearing should not be the focus of your headshot.  Simple solid colors.  No patterns.  Nothing that is going to distract from your face.

Do your own makeup.
People have different opinions on this and mine is not in the majority.  A great makeup artist can do magic, but unless you are going to hire that magician before every one of your auditions you need to do your own makeup.  With that said, if you do use a makeup artist, make sure to find out what they are using on you.  Makeup should be at a minimum on women and none on men.  You need to be able to reproduce the look in your headshot at a moments notice.

No character shots
Don't wear costumes.  No waitres or cop uniforms.

No Props
If you wear glasses that's fine.  Wear them in your shots.  Other than that don't use things that will take the attention away from you.

Shoot with natural light

No photograher tag.
The only name on the front of the photo should be yours. No copyright notice or anything like that.

One single shot
Do not do picture in picture or some sort of composite layout.  There should only be one shot of you.

Borders are your friend.
You can go with black borders, white borders, key line black on white, sloppy, etc....

Do not select your own photo.
Have your manager, agents, or casting director choose your picture.  Let the people that will be doing the submitting and calling you in make the picks.  If they love your headshot (even if you hate it) it is a good shot.

No retouching
We want to see you as you.  Your headshot should look so much like you that it should look like took it just before walking into the audition.

The above tips are for Los Angeles based actors.  Make sure to talk to working actors, agents, and casting directors in your area as each region has their own nuances.

Good luck.

Gregory

These are headshots of actual working actors in Los Angeles.
https://www.gregorystorm.com/photos/mike_021.jpg https://www.gregorystorm.com/photos/julio_2_041.jpg

Feb 09 06 11:31 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

...Stacy wrote:

Took the words out of my mouth.

As much as I hate it (and I do because I think color is better for modeling headshots), acting headshots in NY are preferred to be in color.

Otherwise- I think that is a good shot of you. The lashes are fine. I have two headshots on my MM page (I think) one in B&W and the other in color- those seem to have worked well for me.

-D

Feb 09 06 02:46 pm Link