Forums > General Industry > Actors Headshot Question

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Henricus wrote:
"A head shot is supposed to represent your true face,"

Katie, where did you hear this?  I thought head shots were used to show your versitility.  The one actor I photographed, wants several head shots with different looks.  The first ones I took of him he wore a beard with long-ish hair.  He wants some with a mustache only, go-tee(sp?), fu manchu(sp?) and finally clean shaven.  IMHO, the more varity you have the more marketable you are.  My 2 cents.

.........from every casting/artistic director I've ever met.  (this is for live theatre).

They want a picture of the person who will show up at the audition.  It's a waste of time if they call you in based on your headshot and you look nothing like what they are going for.  Versatility is for your acting, not for your "look."  That's the costume/makeup/wig designer's job.

Feb 09 06 02:53 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Thank you again for all your responses..This shot is a clear miss....I will try again and be back with the results.

Feb 09 06 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Angelus wrote:
Katie.....that is "almost" a great headshot. Don't use it.

1. Get rid of the eye lashes. It's not you and it puts too much attention around your eyes and not on your eyes.
2. The black background is a no. Unless you're doing theatre. Commercial headshots...get out of the studio...or get an interesting lifestyle backdrop. A living room, kitchen, bookstore, office, etc...
3. Your skin. NOOOO!!!!
That headshot would get tossed for that reason alone.
In this particular one, you can see the bluring done to your skin.

Important Note:
The only things you should ever do to a headshot...
1. Fixing temporary blemishes and scars.
2. Color-correction.
3. Lighting correction.

The things you shouldn't ever do to a headshot...
1. No skin smoothing. You will NEVER look like that on camera. The plastic look is a no-go. Just get a GOOD make-up artist.
2. (Future reference) No photographer's copyright logo. CDs do NOT care who took the photograph.
3. Do not use colors that are too similar or too different. Soft, mid-level colors are always recommended.
Contrasting colors give you a harsh image. Too hot.
Too similar of colors blends everything together. Too cold.
You look like little more than a head and nothing else.

Great post!

Feb 09 06 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Nemi wrote:
Thank you again for all your responses..This shot is a clear miss....I will try again and be back with the results.

try one that shows more boobs...then share with us.

Feb 09 06 03:52 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

BCG wrote:

try one that shows more boobs...then share with us.

direct yourself to my port to see boobies.

Feb 09 06 03:55 pm Link

Model

scarletdiva

Los Angeles, California, US

hey katie- im an actor too, and i think your headshot is fine.  color is kind of the fad now but it doesnt really matter... it is supposed to simply represent you, and show expression in your eyes and i think your does that fine.  dont go crazy with your headshots, at first its about your auditions and contacts anyway.

cheers

Feb 09 06 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

eyelight

Moorpark, California, US

Gregory gave a great response.  To add to it... if you want some samples of brilliant headshots, look at the industry standard Kevyn Major Howard...

http://www.headshot-photography.com/index.htm

His work is brilliant...

Feb 09 06 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

i was going to give my perspective as a director, but gregory did a great job. i agree with most of his suggestions.

as he mentioned, he is in the minority regarding makeup artists. i believe a make-up artist is a big plus for headshots, however, book someone who understands what a headshot should look like. this is not a showcase for their brilliant color sense and ability to make your eyes or lips fuller. their job is strictly to make you look like you. a slightly cleaned up version maybe, but you.

i don't agree with any hard and fast rule about natural light vs studio. natural looking light makes more sense to me. no hurrell, or horst glamour style lighting.

i also don't completely agree with no retouching. getting rid of a blemish or bruise that is not part of your normal look is perfectly reasonable. changing your overall complexion or hiding something that you can't or didn't hide with make up--no.

the photo you posted is nice, but if i were casting this would not make it into my "yes" pile simply because you are (and the photo is) too done. you might make it into the maybe pile because you look nice and i can kinda guess what you look like straight-up, but you don't want to make anyone have to work to figure out how you look. your headshot in some ways should be thought of as a canvas. the director/producer wants to be able to imagine you in the character's skin. they want to impose their vision on you. there are styles you can go for. many actors have more than one theatrical or commercial headshot. i just did a headshot for a friend. we did a generic this-is-what-i-look-like version and one that has more of a slant toward the darker roles he often plays.

no matter what style image (personality/character) or photographic style you use, the bottom line is that you should shine through in a relatively natural state.

Feb 09 06 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Henricus

Houston, Texas, US

Very detailed response Gregory.  I stand corrected.  I'll have to pass this on to the actor I photographed.  Thanks.

Feb 09 06 06:41 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

As a side note:

I've been told before that if you wear glasses to NOT wear them in your headshot. 

(Which I've scene as a mixed blessing--My glasses almost got me a featured extra role.)

No clunkly jewelry.
No hats.
No complicated hairstyles.
No overly done make-up.

Feb 10 06 11:45 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Cynthia Leigh wrote:
As a side note:

I've been told before that if you wear glasses to NOT wear them in your headshot. 

(Which I've scene as a mixed blessing--My glasses almost got me a featured extra role.)

No clunkly jewelry.
No hats.
No complicated hairstyles.
No overly done make-up.

I do wear glasses in real life...big ol' thick purple glasses. But they are too " me" to ever use in a headshot. You would have trouble picturing me as a character with mah drew careys on.

Feb 11 06 12:49 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

Nemi wrote:

I do wear glasses in real life...big ol' thick purple glasses. But they are too " me" to ever use in a headshot. You would have trouble picturing me as a character with mah drew careys on.

I have black plastic "librarian" glasses.  They're great for me.  And good if I'm being casted as a nerd/professional, but bad if they want me for a party girl/younger role/etc. so I don't include them in my headshots.

Feb 11 06 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

Great answers in this thread! BTW - Louisiana is number three in production in the U.S. these days. Come work here, you will not regret it!

P.S. - irrespective of the suitability of the shot as an actor's headshot, you look just great in the photo - I really like it!

Feb 11 06 11:44 pm Link