Forums > General Industry > Lose the attitude... humble pie tastes GREAT!

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Blessed are the humble in spirit for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven. - Matthew 5:3.

Nevertheless, humbleness is overrated. 

-Don

Feb 08 06 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Feb 08 06 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

ProShotPhoto

Bellingham, Massachusetts, US

Interesting perspective – I had always thought those running around with there noses in the air and huddling in small groups were afraid of others - I have never thought that this attitude was one of openness and confidence but rather a posture of protection – as if they felt them may be attacked or judged as harshly as they judge others. 

I have always had compassion for these poor little creatures I dwarf, rather then feeling less then them because their nose pointed higher in the sky.  Just their way of trying to look taller ï?Š  LOL.

Feb 08 06 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Stacy wrote:
*starts singing*"Why cant we be friends... why cant we be friends".  I love hugs too.

Hey Stace... I remember that song.  That goes back aways girl... wink

Feb 09 06 01:39 am Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

Hey Batman... riddle you thus: 

Q: How many of us with actual fashion work, tearsheets, thousands of actual real models shot, insight and clients bothered to read your thread to answer?

A: none (assuming.... and me only by accident.)

(FYI you never meet us with our "my shit don't stink attitude" .. because we don't go to your events)

Feb 09 06 05:01 am Link

Photographer

Zunaphoto

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Humble Pie-Live at the Fillmore, beats your shit.

Feb 09 06 05:34 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Steven Bigler wrote:
Hey Batman... riddle you thus: 

Q: How many of us with actual fashion work, tearsheets, thousands of actual real models shot, insight and clients bothered to read your thread to answer?

A: none (assuming.... and me only by accident.)

I did read it.

Feb 09 06 08:40 am Link

Photographer

Mike Mancuso

Harleysville, Pennsylvania, US

EMG STUDIOS wrote:
hmmm.. someone's pissy..... I think in my bio on my website I say something to the effect; I let my work speak in forums where my voice cannot be heard. Many of us here have pretty good work and "the work" speaks for itself, others have shitty work, and that speaks too, although a different language, it still speaks.

I can tell you that I'm feeling myself sometimes, other times; I hate everything that I look at that came from me. I'm very confident in my work, both on and off the camera - so muthaf*ck'n what!

My covers, portfolios, tears, and accollades can all be brought to the table if you like, but who does that impress? No one, because damn near zero times has someone contacted me and asked if I had any of them. The work speaks for itself and it fits in places that are designed around its style.

I kinda wish you would have labeled this a RANT because that's what it is.... We all get pissed off, but you know what they say; "It's better to be pissed off, than to be pissed on"

HOWARD NATION

I'll speak first hand for Dodge and say the only thing he brought to the meet and greet was some vodka and cranberry wink

I can definitely say thought at my first meet and greet I was lucky enough to not experience what you speak of, however from experience with other types of meet and greets, specifically automotive, people def think there shit doesn't stink. Some rightfully so and have 1st place trophies to prove it, others not so much. Usually the people with the 1st place trophies are the most humble.

Feb 09 06 09:18 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Select Models wrote:
OK... I'd like to see a show of hands from all the photographers here on MM who have 100's of magazine covers to their credit... worked with hundreds of thousands of models, and make millions of dollars every year... what?... ZERO!... thought so (profit & loss statements will be a must).

I won't mention any names but you stated your schpiel off with a false assumption. I happen to know of a few, most of them are helpful and have a lot less attitude than you might think, and a lot of them like to stay pretty anonymous in places like this.

Feb 09 06 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Steven Bigler wrote:
(FYI you never meet us with our "my shit don't stink attitude" .. because we don't go to your events)

Hallalujah!... now here's a 'no show' that EVERYONE will be GLAD didn't attend... wink

Feb 09 06 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
I happen to know of a few, most of them are helpful and have a lot less attitude than you might think, and a lot of them like to stay pretty anonymous in places like this.

WHAT... interesting!  You actually KNOW some MM photographer members that meet this criteria? (100's of magazine covers to their credit... worked with hundreds of thousands of models, and make millions of dollars every year)... COOL... ring their bell and have them chime in here... I soooooooo wanna checkout their awesome port and monster website.  And if they ARE so helpful (as you claim), then how could they BE that helpful by remaining anonymous?... wink

Feb 09 06 10:23 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Um, isn't it obvious?

Feb 09 06 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Zunaphoto wrote:
Humble Pie-Live at the Fillmore, beats your shit.

Oh fur sure... 'Humble Pie'... great 70's band... and 'The Fillmore'... great venue... plenty of bathrooms there too... wink

Feb 09 06 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
Um, isn't it obvious?

Answer... a resounding NO!  I mean come on... BUT HEY... if you ARE out there... just lurking around... here's the microphone... take the stage!  Dont forget the link to your site and a copy of your 'profit and loss' statement.  See... this is how you pull 'superstars' out of the woodwork.  And would we all benefit from meeting someone like this?... hell yeah... wink

Feb 09 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Select Models wrote:
And would we all benefit from meeting someone like this?... hell yeah... wink

Problem is Gary, they don't benefit from being here in the forums.  I know of two, maybe three, with membership.  Frankly I don't know about the "millions" part though.  I don't do their taxes.

-D

Feb 09 06 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Another poster made the great point that a lot of it is due to insecurity
and fear.  Really secure people are usually very nice.  They don't need to
put others down or attack someones work.  Many times for example when my
friends have approched models at events only to be greeted with silence
and attitude they get angry.  The thing is many time these young women really
don't have anything to say.  There often frightened and insecure on many levels.
Some of course have huge egos as well as the photographers but I really believe
that our fears are what cause what some see as attitude.  Once they lose
their fear they become more out going.

Feb 09 06 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Zunaphoto

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Are you serious Gary?  There are indeed several that meet your criteria, mostly.  Can't believe you haven't cruised around to find them.  Oodles of Vogue covers, ex-lovers of mind blowingly famous Models. doin' it for 35 years, etc. I know because some of them have been nice enough to correspond with me and I'm positive, many others here.  They  all, without exception, fall into the category of, "The bigger they are, the nicer they are."  And that has been my experience in toto in this and the Entertainment business in  general.

Feb 09 06 11:02 am Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Mike Mancuso wrote:
I'll speak first hand for Dodge and say the only thing he brought to the meet and greet was some vodka and cranberry wink

I can definitely say thought at my first meet and greet I was lucky enough to not experience what you speak of, however from experience with other types of meet and greets, specifically automotive, people def think there shit doesn't stink. Some rightfully so and have 1st place trophies to prove it, others not so much. Usually the people with the 1st place trophies are the most humble.

Damn.. I thought that I brought a pretty girl with big boobies too.. hmmm.. I guess I'll have to bring 2 pretty girls with big boodies to the next one. Mike we talked about my angle and what I am on the boards to do ;-)

Feb 09 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

Problem is Gary, they don't benefit from being here in the forums.  I know of two, maybe three, with membership.  Frankly I don't know about the "millions" part though.  I don't do their taxes.

-D

Come on DB... toss us those MM numbers... you're holding out on us dude.  I'll send them a message... show them this thread... maybe they'll pull up a chair.  I got some connections down at the 'Franchise Tax Board'... we'll get that 'profit and loss' statement... wink

Feb 09 06 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Zunaphoto wrote:
Are you serious Gary?  There are indeed several that meet your criteria, mostly.  Can't believe you haven't cruised around to find them.  Oodles of Vogue covers, ex-lovers of mind blowingly famous Models. doin' it for 35 years, etc. I know because some of them have been nice enough to correspond with me and I'm positive, many others here.  They  all, without exception, fall into the category of, "The bigger they are, the nicer they are."  And that has been my experience in toto in this and the Entertainment business in  general.

Come on Zuna... you're holdin out on us too dude... toss us those numbers... you knoooooooow we wanna check'm out... wink

And about that 'the bigger they are, the nicer they are' comment?... hmmmmm... my granny always told me it's 'the harder they fall'... wink

Feb 09 06 11:24 am Link

Model

Ariette

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

I'm no model, I'm just a girl that loves to be photographed and play dress up and put on makeup, LOL. It's all FUN!!
Humble is the way to be.  smile

Feb 09 06 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Ariette wrote:
I'm no model, I'm just a girl that loves to be photographed and play dress up and put on makeup, LOL. It's all FUN!!   Humble is the way to be.  smile

Ariette... U go girl... with an attitude like that and the great look you have, you'll do just fine.  Love your 'Ariette 4' shot with the fishnets and yellow pumps... U be jammin girlfren... wink

Feb 09 06 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Ariette wrote:
I'm no model, I'm just a girl that loves to be photographed and play dress up and put on makeup, LOL. It's all FUN!!   Humble is the way to be.  smile

Select Models wrote:
Ariette... U go girl... with an attitude like that and the great look you have, you'll do just fine.  Love your 'Ariette 4' shot with the fishnets and yellow pumps... U be jammin girlfren... wink

I second that...great way to be

Feb 09 06 01:23 pm Link

Model

Ariette

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

sad I'm blushing! But thank you guys! I love u all!

Feb 09 06 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

"I don't want to be a pie!"

https://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/945000/images/_945979_chicken300.jpg

Feb 09 06 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Gary versus UDOR...

New York versus LA..or California... Apples and Oranges..

New Yorkers tend to be more real..LA...Well we live in the world of FLAKERS, haters and"Look at ME's"

I think Gary is looking at things from an(CALI) LA, point of view. And I agree 100%

I am not the greatest photgrapher on the planet, I have much to learn. I get work because I do the handshakes, I return the calls and act like I care about more than myself.

Gary hit it on the head, a little more hello hows it going instead of hello..Look at my port...Am I hot or what?

good looks/talent and Character land more gigs....

Until you ARE the SHIT and people just see you as a dollar sign..then you can be about as much of an ass as you want to be... FOR A LIMITED time only, becasue some young gun will be along soon to dethrone you.

V

Feb 09 06 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Vance wrote:
New Yorkers tend to be more real..LA...Well we live in the world of FLAKERS, haters and"Look at ME's"

V

Yo Vancemeister... no arguement here... LA definitely has its fair share of posers, haters and neverwillbees.  Ricky with his clicky came out here from midwest Bumfuck for the same reason his bimbozoid girlfriend did... to get their names engraved on Hollywoods 'walk of fame'... BUT... If ya take the time to rattle Udo's cage one more time, you might find him agreeing to the fact that NYC has also been infiltrated with its fair share of no talent, starry-eyed fame seekers.  Once they hit these two huge markets (LA/NYC) and discover that it ready DOES take talent (and substancial amounts of cash) to survive here or there... it's usually not long before they tuck their tails between their legs and scurry back to mommy and daddy's cash in Bumfuck... wink

Feb 09 06 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

LOL@Gary...

Right on...Ha..

I am waiting for those MM numbers too by the way...

I see a lot of typing...ALPHA only...wheres the numeric?

Not that they don't exist, I just wanna see em. I am all about giving it up to the masters..FO SHO!

As to the comment about your "events".Last I heard they did pretty well..

Any missed thepoint on this post, as always... MM EGO night again..

I am begining to wonder if people actually read these threads, or if they are simply looking for something to react to..????

Hmmmmmm, interesting...all in all..you gave some sound advice, and if the glove dont fit....dont read the thread..

Gary, bomb on down to the studio.. let's have a hand shake, a drink and then talk about how #$%@^% cool we are!

LOL

Feb 09 06 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
Gary:  I never thought I would hear the word "Humble" come from your mouth, but ... I find that I do agree with quite a bit of what you said.

Awwwwww... thanks Alan!  It's funny how time, and events in peoples lives have a way of changing their outlooks on life.  There use to be a more arrogant, sarcastic and argumentative Gary (a few years back that you may have been familar with) who was constantly bitching, sturring the pot and raising hell on a few forums around the web.  I showed that asshole the exit door, and I haven't seen him since.  When you lose too many close relatives and dear friends in a short period of time... it makes you step back and take a HARD look at the man in the mirror.  Life is just too short... wink

Feb 09 06 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Select Models wrote:

Awwwwww... thanks Alan!  It's funny how time, and events in peoples lives have a way of changing their outlooks on life.  There use to be a more arrogant, sarcastic and argumentative Gary (a few years back that you may have been familar with) who was constantly bitching, sturring the pot and raising hell on a few forums around the web.  I showed that asshole the exit door, and I haven't seen him since.  When you lose too many close relatives and dear friends in a short period of time... it makes you step back and take a HARD look at the man in the mirror.  Life is just too short... wink

Yeah Gary, you are getting soft and old....like a banana left on the counter too long....LOL

Rock on BRO!

V

Feb 09 06 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Vance wrote:

Yeah Gary, you are getting soft and old....like a banana left on the counter too long....LOL

Rock on BRO!

V

DAMN... I was hopin it wasnt THAT noticable... LOL... guess Im gonna haveta run down to the market and pickup some new nanners... wink

Feb 09 06 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

Dominic Escalante

San Diego, California, US

I agree completely

Feb 09 06 09:11 pm Link

Model

Nedra McBeadra

Houston, Texas, US

I keep a can of air freshener handy because my shit smells like shit. sad

I know I'm in no position to have any kind of attitude and it annoys me when I encounter others walking around with an undeserved sense of accomplishment when they've done just as little, if not less, than I have. I just feel completely lucky to have a look that any photographer expresses interest in and to be able to do this because I think it's incredibly fascinating and fun. In the words of someone I know, I "do this for the scars and stories, not the fame."

Feb 09 06 09:12 pm Link

Model

Stacy

Englewood, Florida, US

Select Models wrote:

I know.. I just thought it was perfect for the occasion tongue

Feb 09 06 09:14 pm Link

Model

Stacy

Englewood, Florida, US

Select Models wrote:

I know.. I just thought it was perfect for the occasion tongue

Feb 09 06 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Nedra Veritas wrote:
I "do this for the scars and stories, not the fame."

Ah yes... 'the stories'... a 400 page novel there for sure.  And about that fame shit... highly over-rated... a death sentence to your private life, with paparazzi's photoshoppin your infant children between you and the steering wheel... lol... that's the price of fame Brittney... wink

Feb 10 06 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Avenaim

Gary,

I just stumbled upon this post becuase of the title. I for one did read it, and loved it! Thanks for speaking your mind, and sharing some 'reality check' thoughts.

Damn, it's almost tax time smile

Jerry Avenaim

Feb 10 06 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Jerry Avenaim wrote:
Gary,

I just stumbled upon this post becuase of the title. I for one did read it, and loved it! Thanks for speaking your mind, and sharing some 'reality check' thoughts.

Damn, it's almost tax time smile

Jerry Avenaim

notice...only 9 posts on this one...no benefit from us forum suckers sad

Feb 10 06 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Jerry Avenaim wrote:
Gary, I just stumbled upon this post becuase of the title. I for one did read it, and loved it! Thanks for speaking your mind, and sharing some 'reality check' thoughts. Damn, it's almost tax time smile

Jerry Avenaim

Hey Jerr... thanks for chimin in dude... chatted with a few times in the shoutbox... yep... I knew you were here.  Me, you and the Vancemeister will have to chug down a brewski together out there on Sunset somewhere... maybe talk about puttin together an awesome (yet affordable) workshop that all the SoCal MMer's could benefit from... I'll shoot ya an e-mail... wink

Feb 10 06 02:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

faithb

Washington, District of Columbia, US

In reply to an earlier response:  When does refusing to do TFP or pay models constitute attitude?  If your job asked you to work for free, if you say no do you have an attitude?

The only time I think it's dumb of a photographer to not pay models is if he/she makes the initial contact and wants to work with the model.

Feb 10 06 02:27 pm Link