Forums > General Industry > Could you shoot a family member nude?

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Just wanted to know if you could shoot a family member nude?

Like your sister, brother, niece you get the general idea. 

So would it creep you out or could you handle it ok.

And have you ever shot a family member in the nude?  bs

Feb 08 06 07:10 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

bobby sargent wrote:

the ONLY person who could say yes, would be Greg Brady.

Feb 08 06 07:22 am Link

Photographer

Mark Fortenberry

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I shot my sister nude when she was pregnant. It was strange at first, but we got some beautiful images and everybody was happy with the outcome. Have not seen her naked since. LOL

Feb 08 06 07:28 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

bobby sargent wrote:

Yes

bobby sargent wrote:

Yes

bobby sargent wrote:

No ; Yes

bobby sargent wrote:

Yes

Studio36

Feb 08 06 07:38 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Lebeda

Mechelen, Antwerp, Belgium

I think for the outside world it would be a bit strange that you/me shoot your sister, or any other member of the family, nude, but if you both agree, why not? Aslong as it is for the benefit of the shooting and the results it will bring. Otherwise, I suggest the person gets some medical help. Nope, didn't have a shoot with any member of my family (nude or in clothing).

Feb 08 06 07:39 am Link

Photographer

Mark Anderson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I think it depends a lot on what you are shooting.  Artistic, Pregnancy, etc. vs. Glamour nude or Playboy style.   It also depends on your attitude toward nudity.

Feb 08 06 07:43 am Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

Parents shoot their kids nude all the time.

Feb 08 06 07:52 am Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

Are we speaking hypothetically???...If so, could my sister/cousin at least be hypothetically hot? wink

Feb 08 06 07:55 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

bobby sargent wrote:

I think it'd be a little weird.  Depending on the family member, I don't know if I could do it.
Closest I have come was my best friend's little sister.  I'd known her since she was like 4 & had been around extensively as she was growing up.  When she was 19 & about to ship out in the military she wanted some sexy shots to leave for her boyfriend & approached me since she needed someone she could trust to do the photos.  I took them for her but it felt awkward as heck.

Feb 08 06 07:57 am Link

Photographer

JT Hodges

Austin, Texas, US

Ed Remington wrote:
Are we speaking hypothetically???...If so, could my sister/cousin at least be hypothetically hot? wink

On the Internet, anything is possible.

Feb 08 06 07:59 am Link

Photographer

Seth Rutledge

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Sounds a iittle hypocritical to say that you only shoot naked people for the artistic merit, and then to be wierded out by shooting a family member.

Skin is skin people.  I don't do naked pictures at all, but if I did for artistic reasons, I wouldn't have a problem with shooting a family member.  If I was shooting it for pr0n reasons, that might be wierd, but none of you guys do that, right?

Feb 08 06 08:00 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Crazy Benny

Rochester, New York, US

well would shooting yourself nude count? cause if you are male you would be shooting your member and if you are female you are shooting your memebers tongue

Feb 08 06 08:04 am Link

Photographer

IllusionDigital

San Francisco, California, US

In theory, yes, but in reality no....I have a brother who is gay (nothing wrong with that) where as I am strait.  I don't mind that so much, but I would be very creeped out shooting him nude.  My sisters are quite obese, so that would creep me out a bit too... and my parents, well thats just going to far...

so after more consideration, I guess not...

Feb 08 06 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

Ed Remington wrote:

JT Hodges wrote:
On the Internet, anything is possible.

Ok...So then Hypothetically speaking..what if I lived in the deep south and in a trailer park???

Oh wait, never mind. Duh,  I'd already be sleeping with her! tongue

Feb 08 06 08:07 am Link

Photographer

MWPortraits

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Why would it be weird?

If my sister wanted nude photos of herself, or pregnancy photos in the buff, I'd MUCH rather her come to me and KNOW she's safe and in a good environment than risking going to someone else that she doesn't know. That is, IF she can even find someone who will do them. You sure can't go down to Olan Mills and get them made up...lol.

Just my two cents.

Have I ever shot a family member in the nude? Yep. My hubby... lol. But we do a LOT of stuff nude. yikes big_smile

Feb 08 06 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Nick Wade Photography

Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina, US

Well to answer your question, Yes I have my wife was the first nude I have ever shot and I have shot my daughter in law several times, to make calenders or a nice image book for her husband my son. we have shot nude(playboy style) as well as clothed

Feb 08 06 08:13 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I wouldn't have a problem shooting a family member nude, but I couldn't make sexual nudes, obviously. 

Have I?  Aside from my kids as babies, no.

-Don

Feb 08 06 08:14 am Link

Photographer

scott allen

Denver, Colorado, US

Again this pose's one of those "moral dilema" questions... To the "outside" World, it may (or may not) seem strange but to the community of artitsts that we are, it's not

Feb 08 06 08:21 am Link

Photographer

scott allen

Denver, Colorado, US

Again this pose's one of those "moral dilema" questions... To the "outside" World, it may (or may not) seem strange but to the community of artitsts that we are, it's not

Feb 08 06 08:21 am Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I could shoot a female family member nude, but not a male one.

Feb 08 06 08:22 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

What if you're attracted to the relative?

yikes  Oops, wrong thread...nevermind me.

Feb 08 06 08:29 am Link

Model

Savvy1007

it all depends what your intentions are...  and what comes out the end creatively... 
and honestly, no one has to know a family member shot the nude photos...

Feb 08 06 08:33 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Nick Wade Photography wrote:
Well to answer your question, Yes I have my wife was the first nude I have ever shot and I have shot my daughter in law several times, to make calenders or a nice image book for her husband my son. we have shot nude(playboy style) as well as clothed

I'd say for most folks your spouse is different than, say, your mom.
Daughter in law wouldn't be too weird, I suppose, as long as your son was cool with it.

Feb 08 06 08:45 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Amanda Schlicher wrote:
I could shoot a female family member nude, but not a male one.

Who wants to shoot MALE nudes anyway? Eeewww.
/sarcasm

(and I am just teasing btw)

Feb 08 06 08:46 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

DigitalCMH wrote:
What if you're attracted to the relative?

yikes  Oops, wrong thread...nevermind me.

*checks your location*
Cali by way of a W Va trailer??

Feb 08 06 08:46 am Link

Model

Savvy1007

i most definitely think the connotation of shooting nude a relative by marriage is much different than shooting nude a blood relative...

Feb 08 06 08:51 am Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

My wife was my first nude model. If my 23-year old daughter asked....I don't know..I guess it would depend on why she wanted them.

Feb 08 06 08:56 am Link

Photographer

Beatbox Jeebus v2

Palatine, Illinois, US

This one should be defined by circumstances. In general if a blood related family member just randomly asked me to shoot them nude I would think.... well long and hard and probably be confused.But, I found out last week that I am going to be a first time uncle and was asked by my little sister to do a pregnancy shoot (artistic nudes) because she likes my nude work more than other photographers she has checked out. So I gladly accepted the offer. Then again I am not the type to care what the Outside or Mainstream think. I am doing it as a favor to her... and one she can reflect on for the ages.

Feb 08 06 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Random thoughts, some tangentical:

For me, it depends.  I have a small family, so this isn't really an issue.

I've been making pictures since I was about 15; when I was near 20, I was friends with a small family, with a son at 1.5 years old, and two daughters, at 3 & 5 years old.  We're still friends, some 30+ years later.  The 3 year old is now in her mid-30s, and she recently asked me to photograph her nude, and I guess I chickened out -- it was a little too weird for me.

When I was living in Northern California, near San Jose, I met a lot of folks while working with the local community theater.  Once, a young actress (18 years old) asked me to photograph her nude -- I did.  A little while later, her mother asked me to do some nude images of her for her husband.  I did that, too.  I wonder if mother & daughter ever figured out that they both posed nude for me.

One of my favorite obscure photographers is Les Krims -- he's totally insane.  One book he did was something called something like "The Incredible Case Of Stack Of Wheat Cakes Murders", in which he made "police photographs" of crime scenes that were staged, full of clues, and contained a nude "dead" model and a stack of pancakes.  I remember if you bought the whole portfolio, it came with a box of pancake mix and a jar of chocolate syrup (which was used to imitate "blood").  He made another book called "Making Chicken Soup", in which he photographed his mother making chicken soup (see?  Here are the chicken parts arranged in the soup pan).  Did I mention that his mother was naked while she was making the soup?  An old-ish Jewish-ish mother, naked, making chicken soup in her kitchen.  Crazy!

Feb 08 06 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Already did... pics of the kids playin with their 'rubber duckies' in the tub... wink

Feb 08 06 10:39 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

HELLZZZZNAAAWWWWWW!!!!!!

I've had two female family members come to me looking for "erotic" pics, I said no before they could even finish their sentences. To me it feels like a step above incest.
I recommended them to a female photographer I know instead and got a referral fee.

Feb 08 06 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Anderson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I just had a really bad vision --- the title of this thread is "Could you shoot a family member nude?"  I don't think any of my family members would want me to be nude to shoot them...

Feb 08 06 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

I agree with ya Mark!!
I could shoot your family members nude.
Mine? nah?

Feb 08 06 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

James S

Spokane Valley, Washington, US

No. They're all prudes.

Feb 08 06 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

It would highly depend on what type of nude they're talking about.

And if I couldn't/wouldn't do it, I would want to refer them to a photographer, not a pervert with a camera.

Feb 08 06 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

NOW i have to confess ... !!!!!
I did shoot my little niece nude when she was 1min.old ...

Feb 08 06 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

No. I don't shoot ugly people.

Feb 08 06 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

FotoGuyTX

Houston, Texas, US

Here FUCK NO!

Feb 08 06 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

TRIPOD

Well the real answer is for everyone not just me, is 'yes, I could shoot a family member nude'.  But that is a VERY different question than, 'would you shoot a family member nude?'.

So dig out your 8th grade grammar books, and learn the difference between could and would.  And that's not to mention you didn't state whether you were nude, or the family member was nude, i.e.
Man: I just shot an elephant in my pajamas.
Groucho:  What was the elephant doing in your pajamas?

OK, its late.

M

Feb 08 06 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Sista

Los Angeles, California, US

I've thought about this before, and to be honest, I couldn't. I would help the family member find a good photographer. I could look at the pictures after they were taken without a problem, and give an honest, artistic critique, but it's the actual shoot that would be the issue for me. Having my sister naked in front of me while I was telling her to arch her back would just be unpleasant.

Feb 08 06 11:06 pm Link