Forums > General Industry > Ever blown away your entire portfolio?

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Peterborough, New Hampshire, US

I just blew away my entire portfolio, (minus a few images), just to start over. That was fun! It cleanses the soul! -lol-

It also allows you to reorganize your images so they don't just sequentially follow your shoots.

Anybody else done this?

Feb 05 06 12:55 am Link

Model

Isis

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I keep trying, but I can't seem to do it cold turkey yet, I am only at the point where I can delete a few at a time.  Someday... lol

Feb 05 06 12:56 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

One day I took out 6.  That was pretty rough.

Feb 05 06 12:59 am Link

Model

Isis

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Ouch!

Feb 05 06 01:01 am Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Isis wrote:
I keep trying, but I can't seem to do it cold turkey yet, I am only at the point where I can delete a few at a time.  Someday... lol

You can do it! You just have to be in the right frame of mind. -lol-  You can still reload many of the same images again. For example your image in your bottom row with the gold necklace and a zillion comments!  *everybody now rushes to look!*

This image should be back at the top of your portfolio! smile

Feb 05 06 01:01 am Link

Photographer

John Swoger

Peoria, Arizona, US

I'm ready to delete my entire portfolio and start over. Wanting to try some new things, so time to scrap all the old stuff and start a new.

Feb 05 06 01:05 am Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Isis wrote:

Ouch!

I just took out 16! Some with close to 1,000 views. Hey, views and comments are great but let's face it, neither put any bread on our table. Besides the biggest impact when someone looks at your port is the visual impact!

Don't become a comment munger! -lol-

Feb 05 06 01:06 am Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

John Swoger wrote:
I'm ready to delete my entire portfolio and start over. Wanting to try some new things, so time to scrap all the old stuff and start a new.

You won't regret it! How many comments do you really get once those images roll off that top row anyway?

Feb 05 06 01:07 am Link

Photographer

Justin Huang

Irvine, California, US

if i had 4 new pictures, i'd delete my portfolio right now

Feb 05 06 01:09 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

My one regret was that I neglected to note all those who had commented on the images.  I would have liked to go back and view their portfolios again.  It's not the comments I miss--it's the thoughtfulness of those who took the time to comment.

Feb 05 06 01:12 am Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Brian Diaz wrote:

My one regret was that I neglected to note all those who had commented on the images.  I would have liked to go back and view their portfolios again.  It's not the comments I miss--it's the thoughtfulness of those who took the time to comment.

Brian that is a VERY good point. I agree totally. That truely is the hard part. When people take the time to leave comments it's really hard to break that connection. That's where Tags are nice, even though they are not image-specific.

Feb 05 06 01:18 am Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

i took out four ,and needed a weeks therapy thereafter.

Feb 05 06 01:28 am Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Doug Mackay    DMP wrote:
i took out four ,and needed a weeks therapy thereafter.

-LOL- Everybody on this site needs therapy!!!  wink

Feb 05 06 02:15 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

I've done it twice.

Feb 05 06 06:56 am Link

Photographer

Darque

Brooklyn, New York, US

A few times

Feb 05 06 07:16 am Link

Photographer

Mac Wolff

Litchfield Park, Arizona, US

I did it twice last year    Whew  stuck em in the file drawer in the Garage

Feb 05 06 07:27 am Link

Photographer

Ian DeBow

Portland, Oregon, US

easy to do when you have such beautiful subjects and images to replace them with!

Feb 05 06 07:33 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I've got a bunch of different portfolios.  Sometimes they grow or change, other times they become obsolete and collect dust.  I just got seven framed photographs back from a show.  They're six or seven years old now and just looking at them stunned me into remembering the beauty of some of the work I used to do.  Not enough that I'm going to revive the style, however.

And there's another little box sitting here collecting dust with examples of my bondage/fetish work that hasn't been opened in three or four years.

Portfolios have so many different uses.  As I'm not shooting commercial work now, my current portfolio was started from scratch in August to display the medium format quality as well as a new and coherent theme.  There are only five 16x20 prints in it, with three more images selected and five to seven yet to be made.  Once it's done, it will be done.  Then I'll start another.  These are more properly folios as they are the artwork, rather than single prints.

Many, many more people see my photography at one of my websites and I seldom remove anything from those places.  As such, they are archives, rather than portfolios to show current work.

-Don

Feb 05 06 07:41 am Link

Makeup Artist

Crazier Benny

Rochester, New York, US

I got close once to do it but I could not

Feb 05 06 07:42 am Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Crazier Benny wrote:
I got close once to do it but I could not

-LOL- It's like repainting a room in your house that you are not really sure of. It so hard to do that first stroke... after that it's fun again! wink

Go for it!

Feb 05 06 10:00 am Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I've worked long and hard to get my porfolio to the place where it us.  I don't know that I have the time and energy and money to erase it and start over.  However, I constantly delete older images and replace them with new ones as I get them.

Feb 05 06 10:08 am Link

Photographer

Rik Bowman

Taos, New Mexico, US

I'm due for a major overhaul. I DID have a shoot planned yesterday but alas, cancellations the day OF the shoot.

I can't wait to 'cleanse' mine with new work.

There's always next weekend.

Feb 05 06 10:09 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

yes. I have blown away my portfolio several times. Just not on this site.

Feb 05 06 10:12 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

I can't imagine it.  I'm in an agony of indecision right now over having to free up just two or three spaces.  I seriously don't think I can do it!  Arrggghhh....

Feb 05 06 10:21 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

i'm on the verge of blowing away all but two or three images.  that's progress!

Feb 05 06 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Rik Bowman wrote:
I'm due for a major overhaul. I DID have a shoot planned yesterday but alas, cancellations the day OF the shoot.

I can't wait to 'cleanse' mine with new work.

There's always next weekend.

Yes! You are there! That IS the state of mind you need to be in to do this! -LOL-

BTW, cancellations are horrible. They suck the life out of your work. Don't let that get you down man. Harness it into something good. Like cleansing your Portfolio! wink

Feb 05 06 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Christopher Bush wrote:
i'm on the verge of blowing away all but two or three images.  that's progress!

Do it man! It's fun! It shows confidence in yourself and sends a message that you are wanting something more.

***** Don't become captive to your own portfolio! *****

Feb 05 06 10:29 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

I build directories for portfolios under a main Mayhen directory.  The newest is V.12.

Rather than changing just two or three images, I've changed my complete MM portfolio eleven times since joining.  My current has been up for 3 weeks and will likely go through through a complete overhaul in the next week or two.  Sometimes they are thematic, sometimes they are just images I like at the time I view them and sometimes it's due to experimenting.  In each case the portfolio is driven by nothing more than keeping it fresh.  Rarely do I seek to fill the 20 image limit just for the sake of doing so.  But that's just me...

Feb 05 06 10:29 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I just changed out about 6-7 photos last night.  Wasn't that hard to do.  Might have been harder if I had more models to work with lol.

Feb 05 06 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Wright

Lansing, Michigan, US

It's getting tough not to with mine. I have a handful of images that I really like but have gotten a little dated compared to my more recent stuff. One, in particular, holds a very special place in my heart. I will have to let some of them go soon though.

Feb 05 06 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Christopher Wright wrote:
It's getting tough not to with mine. I have a handful of images that I really like but have gotten a little dated compared to my more recent stuff. One, in particular, holds a very special place in my heart. I will have to let some of them go soon though.

Yes, some of these images do hold a special place in our hearts. That's one reason I wanted to revamp things. I didn't want some really special images being pushed to the bottom of my port and then being unceremoniously deleted off.

My current work is also import. Especially my work with Holly MM #8575. I have purposely tried to put an image of her on every row. She will always be in my portfolio.

Feb 05 06 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Wright

Lansing, Michigan, US

Timeless Photos wrote:

Yes, some of these images do hold a special place in our hearts. That's one reason I wanted to revamp things. I didn't want some really special images being pushed to the bottom of my port and then being unceremoniously deleted off.

My current work is also import. Especially my work with Holly MM #8575. I have purposely tried to put an image of her on every row. She will always be in my portfolio.

Is it my imagination or do you have the same shot on there twice?

Feb 05 06 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US

Yep
Not just the online stuff... The whole bloody thing
I needed to step away from where I was and rethink where I wanted to go with photography.
Liberating but a bit daunting

Feb 05 06 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

Since I'm just starting out here, I don't have enough to replace them with.

I really like your style, both the old and the new ones. I hope you keep 'Nice View' because I really like that one.

Feb 05 06 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Is it my imagination or do you have the same shot on there twice?

Oops! Yes I do!  Doh!  I shouldn't work so late at night. wink

Thanks

Feb 05 06 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Wright

Lansing, Michigan, US

Timeless Photos wrote:

Oops! Yes I do!  Doh!  I shouldn't work so late at night. wink

Thanks

No problem. I've actually fallen asleep at my computer two of the last three nights.

Feb 05 06 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Red Sky Photography wrote:
Since I'm just starting out here, I don't have enough to replace them with.

I really like your style, both the old and the new ones. I hope you keep 'Nice View' because I really like that one.

Deal! "Nice View" will stay. wink

Feb 05 06 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

No problem. I've actually fallen asleep at my computer two of the last three nights.

-LOL- You too?

Good... it's not just me falling asleep at the mouse. And the good news for you is that you are not seeing "Double"! wink

Feb 05 06 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Update here...

Holly's number is 85751  (I left the "one" off on the earlier post)

Feb 05 06 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

NewBoldPhoto wrote:
Yep
Not just the online stuff... The whole bloody thing
I needed to step away from where I was and rethink where I wanted to go with photography.
Liberating but a bit daunting

Sometimes it does you good to step away from time to time. We don't want anyone burning out here. You will aways come back fresher. smile

Feb 05 06 03:24 pm Link