Forums > General Industry > PHOTO anti-theft???

Photographer

shadowTeller

Logan, Utah, US

I have worked on a project where the photogapher had pictures placed on his website in flash (definately not right clickable, but other ways to get around it), but as someone pointed out digimarcing your image is decent as well as the fact that the image quality is so low that is rendered virtually useless.  (I will argue this one though.  I can take a 1x1 image and blow it up to name your size with little distortion). 

But onward to this photographer....he was a rather clever man.  Now it was a rather distracting thing, but everyone know about that annoying screen saver "bouncing lines"   ? Well he had that on all his images in flash..So a screen capture was ruined by lines and difficult because it was in flash. 

The project I am working on now is a continuation.  If those lines are bouncing around so fast that the human eye can't see it would not be a distraction.  But upon a screen capture it would show up. 

just my two copper pieces.

~prestN

Feb 03 06 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

Trying to disable right-clicking, or using Flash or Java script will slow down the novices. But none of that will stop a simple screen capture using any number of simple free utilities on a PC or Mac.

Jennifer, it is hopeless to try to slow down horny teenage boys. They are highly motivated and probably know more about computers than you and I ever will.

Feb 04 06 12:40 am Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Gregory Storm wrote:
Mark, I'm sorry, what we're you saying?

This took 15 seconds, including the time to reupload the images.

The one that say "protected?" was print screened.  The one with your tag and the added MM to show the image is not just coming from your site was Save Page As...

Not only does this "protection" software NOT do what you say it does, but  I can see that you took the photo with a 10D on 9/2/05.  Save your $14.95 and get your money back.

I should mention that I'm not using full power of html-protector. I could disable Opera so that you can't do a thing, but about 15% of my visitors use Opera and with 2000 unique visitors a day that's quite a nice number of people so I decided not to go that way. I know that opera can bypass scripts running on the page, but that's none of my concern. There are further protections available which I decided not to use. I care about countering 99% of attempts to steal my images and that I can easily achieve with the software that cost me $14.95. I'm more than happy.

Feb 04 06 12:55 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

MarkMarek wrote:

I should mention that I'm not using full power of html-protector. I could disable Opera so that you can't do a thing, but about 15% of my visitors use Opera and with 2000 unique visitors a day that's quite a nice number of people so I decided not to go that way. I know that opera can bypass scripts running on the page, but that's none of my concern. There are further protections available which I decided not to use. I care about countering 99% of attempts to steal my images and that I can easily achieve with the software that cost me $14.95. I'm more than happy.

How many of your visitors use Firefox, because it doesn't block screen captures.  It does seem to randomize direct saves, but the images are still downloadable.  I didn't check IE.

Feb 04 06 01:01 am Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Brian Diaz wrote:
How many of your visitors use Firefox, because it doesn't block screen captures.  It does seem to randomize direct saves, but the images are still downloadable.  I didn't check IE.

As I mentioned, I'm not using all features of it, but it can easily counter 99% of all attmpts to steal stuff. Quite frankly, it was not image theft that made me buy it, it was page theft which i wanted to prevent. There was almost perfect copy of my website on line once and that pissed me off. I'm not a web programmer but I'm good enough to build my simple site the way you see it. But there's a lot of work in it and I don't want anyone copying it in its entirety. To be able to counter 99% of all such attempts for $14.95 - you spend more on Subway when you take a gf for sandwich and pop - is a great investment. And I could fully disable browsers which can disable scripts, but i don't care for protection that much. Bang for a buck that I'm getting is immense.

Feb 04 06 01:08 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

Disable hardware support for video decoding and you defeat all this.

Ty Simone wrote:
...snip...
Try taking a screen shot of a DVD being played in a protected software program.
then paste that into paint.
then try to edit it....
you will see what happens....
That has to do with the picture control being on top.....
...snip...

Feb 04 06 01:21 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

MarkMarek wrote:
Check out my site Different Way Of Photography - I used HTML-Protector to perfectly secure it (btw I think their $14.95 special still goes for a few more days). It disables right click, but also prevets highlighting, copying, printing, print screen function, dragging and dropping, etc. and also encrypts your html code so the pages cannot be copied (or links to your pictures discovered by checking source code).

As noted, it does not prevent image theft at all. It does encrypt the pages, so that taking the page as-a-whole isn't practical, but the images can be trivially captured.

Anything that relies on a browser's behavior is suspect, as most browsers can be set to ignore those controls (turning off JavaScript, ActiveX, and Java, for example, will do this for most browsers.) Further, there are many non-"browsers" that are designed to send http protocols and capture the files references, without having to dig through the local cache. There are even free tools to take multiple slices on pages and recombine them into a single image.

None of these are hard to get--most are free--and few of them are hard to use.

A casual viewer will be deterred by disabling right-click, but more will be justifiably annoyed that they can't use context-sensitive buttons to open into tabs, new windows, or other right-click functions.

Feb 04 06 01:31 am Link

Model

Jennifer_Marshall

Los Angeles, California, US

Thank you, littlegett!

Feb 04 06 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

Ron B Blake wrote:

Depending on were your images are posted, you can have a no right click option that is NOT full proof for the experience liar

There is also three or four services out there that offer a hidden file that is embedded into the image non removable and tracks who has pulled an image off your site and were it is replaced

I hope this has helped

Sincerely
Ron Blake

Ron what happens if I press the print screen button?  At that point I can open it in pretty much any image manipulation sofware..  Do these strategies gaurd against that as well?  Also how can the images be tracked? What happens of I use an IP address other than my own and I change the image type?  If these strateiges gaurd against that - I'd like to know how to get em!!!!

Feb 04 06 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

CameraSight

Roselle Park, New Jersey, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Flash isn't theft-proof.

The only way to keep your photos from being stolen is not to put them on the Internet.

Putting photos on the Internet is like parking a convertible with the top down and the keys in the ignition.  Using deterrents (such as right-click blocking) is like locking the doors.

>The only way to keep your photos from being stolen is not to put them on the Internet< . Yes I agree .   No Right Click is not fool proof, just a deterrent as you said. People can  simply copy and pasting the image to a Photo editing program like PhotoShop  or Left click and drag the image to the IE tool bar where it will go to a temp folder . Then you can save it. The best idea is to upload low res images and put a watermark on them .   Also .. if you are that paranoid , dont't upload any nude shots, lol. I don't ,

Feb 04 06 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

JimNew

If it can be seen on your screen, it can be copied. Someone could photograph the screen, if all else failed.

Feb 04 06 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

J Haig

Gananoque, Ontario, Canada

One more shot at this...if it can be seen on your monitor...it's already in the damned computer.  It's in the cache.  The deed is done.

Feb 05 06 12:37 am Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

digimarc isn't about keeping your shots from being stolen, it's more about being able to track them online once they're swiped, since, as everyone here seems to be fond of mentioning, short of not posting online, there's no way to keep your shots from being lifted.

Feb 05 06 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Gregory Storm wrote:
JAY,

No matter what you do to THINK you are protecting your images, if they are online they can be taken.  The only safe way it to not have them online in the first place.

Things that will NOT protect your images online:
- Creating slices
- Using flash
- Digimarc (doubtful)
- right click disable
- Image replace script (like on IMDb images)
- insert your idea here

Those medthod can be defeated by clicking one button: print screen.

As far as adding all the paranoid information you put on your photos thinking that it can't be removed without messing up the picture, all your text is distracting from what could be a good image.

The image below took less than 2 minutes. 

quote]
Why thanks Greg for now making it much easier for every Tom, Dick & Harry to download that nude pic I shot and allow them to pretend it's theirs!  Paranoid?  Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean you're paranoid enough. 

Firstly, I am aware that there is no way to keep someone determined enough from stealing your images once they are online.  I wish some of you would give me more credit than that:

"If history teaches anything: it's that anybody, anybody can be killed."
- Al Pacino as Michael Corleone in "The Godfather II" (I hope I got the quote right)

Obviously, my images do me no good if confined to the safe boundaries of a shoe box: "You have to show work to get work".  In fact, on my main online portfolio I do encourage potential clients to download my images to keep as electronic leave-behind's.  There are a few model agencies that also encourage you to download from their websites.  As for that so-called "paranoid information you put on your photos thinking that it can't be removed without messing up the picture, all your text is distracting from what could be a good image" was originally intended to make sure people knew who took the picture and to contact me if they so desire.  Hmm, "messing up the picture"?  I think I get enough compliments and praise for my work to make said comment totally invalid.

I want to again thank those of you who've offered useful information and resources to make images more "secure" when presented online.

Best Regards,
JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Feb 05 06 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

Gregory Storm

Burbank, California, US

JAY carreon wrote:
Why thanks Greg for now making it much easier for every Tom, Dick & Harry to download that nude pic I shot and allow them to pretend it's theirs!  Paranoid?  Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean you're paranoid enough...  Hmm, "messing up the picture"?  I think I get enough compliments and praise for my work to make said comment totally invalid.

Of course you get compliments, but the comment is completely valid.  I didn't say it messed up the picture.  I said it was distracting.  If you notice, I wasn't the only one to point that out.  Just because you don't agree doesn't make it invalid.

As for "making it much easier for every Tom, Dick & Harry to download that nude pic" what was stopping them before?  As this thread should hopefully demonstrate there is nothing to really stop them.  With that said, I was only using it for illustration.  I've removed the pic.  You'll need to do the same from my quote.

G

Feb 07 06 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Blake Larson

Severn, Maryland, US

Why don't you just drop the res in photoshop? an image at 72 resolution may look fantastic on your online portfolio, but when someone snags it and tries to print it, they're going to have a pretty nasty time trying to get a 5x7 that doesn't look terrible. This works great if your prints are your meal ticket.

if someone grabs your image to pass off as their own, isn't it going to be pretty obvious that they can't repeat that kind of quality? And if they make any kind of money off of it at all, you can take 'em straight to court. If you're really worried about that, the best advice was already given. Register them with the copyright bureau. If I'm not mistaken, isn't that the only copyright that stands in court?

Feb 07 06 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Gregory Storm wrote:

Of course you get compliments, but the comment is completely valid.  I didn't say it messed up the picture.  I said it was distracting.  If you notice, I wasn't the only one to point that out.  Just because you don't agree doesn't make it invalid.

As for "making it much easier for every Tom, Dick & Harry to download that nude pic" what was stopping them before?  As this thread should hopefully demonstrate there is nothing to really stop them.  With that said, I was only using it for illustration.  I've removed the pic.  You'll need to do the same from my quote.

G

The other reason I put text on my images is to show that they can work with text (i.e. can be used in ads) in them.  Fashion Photography is the bastard child of art & commerce (hence the name of one of the premiere photographer's agencies Art+Commerce) - the photography is the art, the text is the commerce.  I hope I don't sound like I'm belittling the good people of MM, but the opinion that matters most to me (as it should to anyone aspiring to a professional career in photography) is that of the art directors, magazine editors and other creative professionals who can give you work.

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Feb 08 06 01:03 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

ok, firstly you can't prevent it.  unless you can remove the screen shot option on everyone's computer in the entire world!  flash sites you can take a screenshot of the image and crop.  voila!  no right click script, the same thing.  you can still view page source and search for it or you can take a screen shot again.  the simpler things people do can easily be removed.  watermarks are easily removed, just like when someone is photoediting and removing a tattoo or something.  again on the flash sites, doesn't matter if it is a protected movie because to someone trained they can get past it and into all the info and get the image out of the file regardless to what you do to it. 

so in conclusion, this subject has also been brought up several times and discussed to death.  THERE IS NO REAL WAY TO PREVENT THEFT OF YOUR IMAGES.  where there's a will there's a way and someone will always find it.

Feb 08 06 03:11 am Link

Photographer

Raven Photography

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

WOW !! Awesome !

Thanks Jay Carreon for bringing up the subject 'Photo anti theft'. I have been dealing with how to prevent it for ages and thanks to this major discussion of the topic I have learnt a lot more about it.

A BIG thanks to everyone who contributed their advice, opinions and knowledge. smile

(just a quick mention if I dont answer anyone's comments directed at me its because I will have lost this discussion and don't know how to find it again 'yet'. I only just joined.

Ok strike that I just saw how then.

Raven

Feb 08 06 06:32 am Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Flash isn't theft-proof.

The only way to keep your photos from being stolen is not to put them on the Internet.

Putting photos on the Internet is like parking a convertible with the top down and the keys in the ignition.  Using deterrents (such as right-click blocking) is like locking the doors.

Well put Brian. It is true that flash web sites are a lot harder to take images from - a good car alarm - but they too can be reverse engineered.

Feb 08 06 06:50 am Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Vita Brevis wrote:

I did, Mark...it doesn't work.  The images are in my cache..I'd ask for your money back.

Double that..I just did it too

Feb 08 06 06:55 am Link

Photographer

CTSaunders

London, England, United Kingdom

when posting pictures the image resolution is way to small for anyone to really steal your images, any  photoshop person can modify the water marks, but since web only does 72 dpi even large pics on the web can only be printed the size of half of a wallet so even posting large files onlone , nobody can really "steal" them they might claim it, but theyll never have a master file to back it up

Feb 08 06 07:02 am Link

Photographer

JimNew

saunders photography wrote:
when posting pictures the image resolution is way to small for anyone to really steal your images, any  photoshop person can modify the water marks, but since web only does 72 dpi even large pics on the web can only be printed the size of half of a wallet so even posting large files onlone , nobody can really "steal" them they might claim it, but theyll never have a master file to back it up

Yes but if the images are being used on another web site, that 72 dpi isn't a problem.

Feb 08 06 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

saunders photography wrote:

On the web, DPI means nothing.

200x300 pixels at 72 DPI on the web is exactly the same as 200x300 pixels at 300 DPI: it's just a 200x300 pixel image.

Feb 08 06 10:45 pm Link