Forums > General Industry > PHOTO anti-theft???

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Los Angeles, California, US

What's the best way to keep your (online) images from being stolen?

I usually put my contact info on any images I post online in such a way that it would take lots and lots of time to erase the text or if someone tries to crop them out the pic will get "butchered".

FLASH: someone once told me (he was a webdesigner as I recall) that pics on FLASH webpages are the only one's that are secure since you can download images from HTML webpages even if the "right-click" has been disabled.

Any other suggestions?

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

P.S.  To The Moderators: I hope this is the right Forum to post this on - my apologies if not.

Feb 03 06 04:22 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Flash isn't theft-proof.

The only way to keep your photos from being stolen is not to put them on the Internet.

Putting photos on the Internet is like parking a convertible with the top down and the keys in the ignition.  Using deterrents (such as right-click blocking) is like locking the doors.

Feb 03 06 04:33 am Link

Photographer

Ron B Blake

Macomb, Illinois, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Flash isn't theft-proof.

The only way to keep your photos from being stolen is not to put them on the Internet.

Putting photos on the Internet is like parking a convertible with the top down and the keys in the ignition.  Using deterrents (such as right-click blocking) is like locking the doors.

Depending on were your images are posted, you can have a no right click option that is NOT full proof for the experience liar

There is also three or four services out there that offer a hidden file that is embedded into the image non removable and tracks who has pulled an image off your site and were it is replaced

I hope this has helped

Sincerely
Ron Blake

Feb 03 06 04:38 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Ron B Blake wrote:

Depending on were your images are posted, you can have a no right click option that is NOT full proof for the experience liar

There is also three or four services out there that offer a hidden file that is embedded into the image non removable and tracks who has pulled an image off your site and were it is replaced

I hope this has helped

Sincerely
Ron Blake

Thanks Ron!  Could you post here the links or names to those services that offer the embedded "tracker thingie"?  We would all be much obliged!

Feb 03 06 05:07 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

JAY carreon wrote:

Thanks Ron!  Could you post here the links or names to those services that offer the embedded "tracker thingie"?  We would all be much obliged!

www.digimarc.com

Feb 03 06 05:12 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Thanks Ron - you are a scholar and a gentleman!

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Feb 03 06 05:18 am Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

It wont work on sites like these but if you have your own website use imageready and slice the images.

Feb 03 06 05:19 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Thanks DJ - you are an eagle among lesser birds!

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Feb 03 06 05:23 am Link

Photographer

Far West Imaging

Laguna Hills, California, US

As said above, the only real way to protect them is to not post them.  But the posted images are low image quality anyway, not high resolution, so they have limited value to the "photo thief".  There are ways to track you downloads them, but you can't really stop the download. 

I think you have some great pix, but the overwriting to protect them ruins the shot.

Feb 03 06 05:30 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

I put a small visible watermark with my web URL (it's an adult site, so I won't put it here) in an unobtrusive location on the photo.

I also add a hidden layer in the JPG file that has my watermark in a larger format...

Feb 03 06 07:38 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

First, DigiMarc can and has been defeated easily
Second, Any add in you do (such as light watermark etc..) that does not outright distort the picture can be easily reversed. (I did it before on here to prove the point)
Flash images are not secure.
Sliced images are secure only in the fact that they need to be put back together to be of use. (again minor nuicense.)

The Best way to protect an image online, and it is ALMOST fool proof, is to do a multilayered page with a direct call.

Basically put, You never link the true image to the page. instead you use ASP or PHP or a COM object to display the image (so the location of the original can not be determined by looking at the source code.)
Make sure the image is at least 3 times as big as you wish to display it, and shrink the image down in code, not for real)
Then, using dynamic HTML, do an overlay of the image with a Blank Gif File (actually a white Gif file with White defined as the transparency color.)
Next use a BMP overlay of that in another layer (again transparent Bitmap - yes they do exist, but use black instead of white)
Finally add a control over top of it that is a picture box (since everyone will have that control on their system, except for the mac / unix people) that has a transparent background.

What happens?
Copy and paste will get them either a pure black or a pure white image. (depends on the browser)
Even doing a screen shot will not work If you do it right.
Try taking a screen shot of a DVD being played in a protected software program.
then paste that into paint.
then try to edit it....
you will see what happens....
That has to do with the picture control being on top.....

Now, is it worth it to do all this to protect your image?

My opinion, no.
Simply put a watermark that distorts the image.....

Feb 03 06 08:15 am Link

Photographer

Chex

Dam TY... thats just evil.. lol

hahaha
That may be the most secure way of protecting an image I have ever heard of.. I didn't think such a process existed.. haha

Feb 03 06 10:03 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

PERIOD!

Feb 03 06 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

C R Photography wrote:

PERIOD!

YEP!  I have researched this until I went crazy.  As of yet there is no way that is foolproof.  I have been told Canon is working on getting this so you can put it into the image when shot, such as a small watermark, etc.  Something like the time/date stamp does.  That would be kinda cool if it can be done the way we want it done.

Feb 03 06 10:13 am Link

Photographer

EL PIC

Austin, Indiana, US

Chex wrote:
Dam TY... thats just evil.. lol

hahaha
That may be the most secure way of protecting an image I have ever heard of.. I didn't think such a process existed.. haha

Just always keep prints in your hand carry port. like we did 20 years ago.
Be an old Fart ... Never put on internet.
The above TY method can be defeated but it would take 3 times the
verbage to write it up. Is it worth me doing that write up ???
Nope !!

E L

Feb 03 06 10:16 am Link

Photographer

J Haig

Gananoque, Ontario, Canada

If you open your browser's cache file...you'll find you're most likely guilty yourself of exactly what you are trying to prevent others from doing.
We don't view internet images through some sort of magic portal....they need to be downloaded to see 'em.   
So to paraphrase Brian, if you don't want them "stolen", don't put them on the 'net.

Feb 03 06 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

Please take my images: I'm a big fan of the plane ticket/basball bat theft correction technique.

Paul

Feb 03 06 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Brandon Ching

Brooklyn, New York, US

Ty Simone wrote:
First, DigiMarc can and has been defeated easily
Second, Any add in you do (such as light watermark etc..) that does not outright distort the picture can be easily reversed. (I did it before on here to prove the point)
Flash images are not secure.
Sliced images are secure only in the fact that they need to be put back together to be of use. (again minor nuicense.)

The Best way to protect an image online, and it is ALMOST fool proof, is to do a multilayered page with a direct call.

Basically put, You never link the true image to the page. instead you use ASP or PHP or a COM object to display the image (so the location of the original can not be determined by looking at the source code.)
Make sure the image is at least 3 times as big as you wish to display it, and shrink the image down in code, not for real)
Then, using dynamic HTML, do an overlay of the image with a Blank Gif File (actually a white Gif file with White defined as the transparency color.)
Next use a BMP overlay of that in another layer (again transparent Bitmap - yes they do exist, but use black instead of white)
Finally add a control over top of it that is a picture box (since everyone will have that control on their system, except for the mac / unix people) that has a transparent background.

What happens?
Copy and paste will get them either a pure black or a pure white image. (depends on the browser)
Even doing a screen shot will not work If you do it right.
Try taking a screen shot of a DVD being played in a protected software program.
then paste that into paint.
then try to edit it....
you will see what happens....
That has to do with the picture control being on top.....

Now, is it worth it to do all this to protect your image?

My opinion, no.
Simply put a watermark that distorts the image.....

To screencap a DVD, the videocard needs to turn off its hardware acceleration feature. I think programs like PowerDVD or InterVideo do this temporarily and thus are able to circumvent the "protection" and allow you to capture stills from DVDs or videos.

Feb 03 06 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Champion Hamilton

New York, New York, US

As has been said, their is no fool proof way. You have many things that will slow it down but will not stop it. Ex: No right click, no drag, no select, blank image overlay, Flash, image tags. All those methods only work to stop the average photo snatcher. If someone really wants a photo there are a bunch of ways to get them.

The best option really is to not make all your images available online. I have a habit of picking my favorite 2 versions of particular shots. I then use my least favorite of the 2 for online and the primary for my offline portfolio and special projects. Even that only does so much since opinions on which shot is the best vary from person to person.

Networking helps though. At least when someone knows your work they can tell you when they see it being used somewhere else. Most of the times I found out about my images being used it was from other people.

Feb 03 06 10:47 am Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Check out my site Different Way Of Photography - I used HTML-Protector to perfectly secure it (btw I think their $14.95 special still goes for a few more days). It disables right click, but also prevets highlighting, copying, printing, print screen function, dragging and dropping, etc. and also encrypts your html code so the pages cannot be copied (or links to your pictures discovered by checking source code). Very inexpensive and powerful. Check out my site to see for yourself.

https://www.html-protector.com/encrypt/images/banner3.gif

Feb 03 06 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Gregory Storm

Burbank, California, US

JAY carreon wrote:

I usually put my contact info on any images I post online in such a way that it would take lots and lots of time to erase the text or if someone tries to crop them out the pic will get "butchered".

FLASH: someone once told me (he was a webdesigner as I recall) that pics on FLASH webpages are the only one's that are secure since you can download images from HTML webpages even if the "right-click" has been disabled.

Any other suggestions?

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

P.S.  To The Moderators: I hope this is the right Forum to post this on - my apologies if not.

JAY,

No matter what you do to THINK you are protecting your images, if they are online they can be taken.  The only safe way it to not have them online in the first place.

Things that will NOT protect your images online:
- Creating slices
- Using flash
- Digimarc (doubtful)
- right click disable
- Image replace script (like on IMDb images)
- insert your idea here

Those medthod can be defeated by clicking one button: print screen.

As far as adding all the paranoid information you put on your photos thinking that it can't be removed without messing up the picture, all your text is distracting from what could be a good image.

The image below took less than 2 minutes. 

ONE OF JAY'S PICTURES WAS HERE, BUT I REMOVED IT.  It illustrated that it was easy and took no time to erase his text.

Feb 03 06 11:53 am Link

Photographer

J Haig

MarkMarek wrote:
Check out my site to see for yourself.

I did, Mark...it doesn't work.  The images are in my cache..I'd ask for your money back.

Feb 03 06 11:59 am Link

Photographer

Gregory Storm

Burbank, California, US

MarkMarek wrote:
Check out my site Different Way Of Photography - I used HTML-Protector to perfectly secure it (btw I think their $14.95 special still goes for a few more days). It disables right click, but also prevets highlighting, copying, printing, print screen function, dragging and dropping, etc. and also encrypts your html code so the pages cannot be copied (or links to your pictures discovered by checking source code). Very inexpensive and powerful. Check out my site to see for yourself.

https://www.html-protector.com/encrypt/images/banner3.gif

Mark, I'm sorry, what we're you saying?

This took 15 seconds, including the time to reupload the images.

The one that say "protected?" was print screened.  The one with your tag and the added MM to show the image is not just coming from your site was Save Page As...

Not only does this "protection" software NOT do what you say it does, but  I can see that you took the photo with a 10D on 9/2/05.  Save your $14.95 and get your money back.

https://www.gregorystorm.com/model_mayhem/mark.jpghttps://www.gregorystorm.com/model_mayhem/mark2.jpg

Feb 03 06 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

MarkMarek wrote:
It disables right click, but also prevets highlighting, copying, printing, print screen function, dragging and dropping, etc. and also encrypts your html code so the pages cannot be copied (or links to your pictures discovered by checking source code). Very inexpensive and powerful. Check out my site to see for yourself.

Yup! Time to ask for your money back...

Studio36

https://www.studio36.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/demo_download.jpg

Feb 03 06 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Eugene Breaux retired

Saint James City, Florida, US

Just get yourself a real good copyright attorney and let them steal your images, I talked to a photographer yesterday that got $15,000 from one image stolen. They usually settle out of court rather then get hit with the mandatory $150,000 per image. Oh, and make sure you register them in DC.

Feb 03 06 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

The first reply - from Brian: 'The only way to keep your photos from being stolen is not to put them on the Internet.'

There ya go.

smile

Feb 03 06 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

montgomery photographic

Sunnyvale, California, US

I created my own profile for the EPSON printer, that makes good prints but would take a tone of time reproduce for some one else.  Online repro I embed my initials in the eyebrows, or some other place that blends and is very hidden and would take an extreme amount of time to find.

JAY carreon wrote:

Any other suggestions?

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Feb 03 06 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

John Chennavasin

Santa Ana, California, US

ACPS Inc Eugene Breaux wrote:
Just get yourself a real good copyright attorney and let them steal your images, I talked to a photographer yesterday that got $15,000 from one image stolen. They usually settle out of court rather then get hit with the mandatory $150,000 per image. Oh, and make sure you register them in DC.

Fortunately, registering the copyright for a collection of images is much easier now that the Copyright Office accepts CDs containing JPEGs of the images you plan to register, and the form takes minutes to fill out in Acrobat.

Oddly enough, they recommend that you send packages to them via FedEx, UPS, DHL, or another private courier service, as mail via the U.S. Postal Service is zapped with sufficient radiation to destroy its contents.

Feb 03 06 08:33 pm Link

Model

Jennifer_Marshall

Could anyone please explain to me how to disable the right-click option when posting photos? I am just trying to deter the horny teenage boys down the road...wink Their computer knowledge is limited. smile

Feb 03 06 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Gregory Storm

Burbank, California, US

Jennifer_Marshall wrote:
Could anyone please explain to me how to disable the right-click option when posting photos? I am just trying to deter the horny teenage boys down the road...wink Their computer knowledge is limited. smile

The younger the user the more adept at defeating whatever it is you think will stop them.  The problem with your question is that a horny teenage boy is probably the one who wrote the anti-right click script in the first place.

Feb 03 06 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

Timothy

Madison, Wisconsin, US

John Chennavasin wrote:

Fortunately, registering the copyright for a collection of images is much easier now that the Copyright Office accepts CDs containing JPEGs of the images you plan to register, and the form takes minutes to fill out in Acrobat.

Oddly enough, they recommend that you send packages to them via FedEx, UPS, DHL, or another private courier service, as mail via the U.S. Postal Service is zapped with sufficient radiation to destroy its contents.

Wow, I hadn't heard that one! I USPS CD-ROMs to models and haven't had any data losses. Does anyone know if the copyright office will accept two (2) DVD-ROMs along with Form VA? Or do you need to send in the individual ROMs with payment?

-TMH

Feb 03 06 09:11 pm Link

Model

Jennifer_Marshall

Gregory Storm wrote:

The younger the user the more adapt at defeating whatever it is you think will stop them.  The problem with your question is that a horny teenage boy is probably the one who wrote the anti-right click script in the first place.

I would still like to learn how to do it if anyone has a minute to explain it. smile

Feb 03 06 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

John Emrys

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Feb 03 06 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Gettler

Pueblo, Colorado, US

Jennifer_Marshall wrote:

Put this in the < body > tags without space on script

< script language=JavaScript>

Feb 03 06 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Gettler

Pueblo, Colorado, US

< META HTTP-EQUIV="imagetoolbar" CONTENT="no">

You also want to post that in with your Meta tags so for IEs toolbar not to come up and stuff...

I think these last two things I posted.. Disable rightclick and toolbar.. basicly keep the honest people Honest.

Someone whom really wants it.. or just wants the challenge will get the image.  One way or another.

Feb 03 06 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

John Chennavasin

Santa Ana, California, US

Timothy M. Hughes wrote:
Wow, I hadn't heard that one! I USPS CD-ROMs to models and haven't had any data losses. Does anyone know if the copyright office will accept two (2) DVD-ROMs along with Form VA? Or do you need to send in the individual ROMs with payment?

USPS Mail sent to the Copyright Office (and to other government offices) was irradiated between late 2001 and early 2002 due to concerns about Anthrax. The mail was also delayed due to the additional processing required.

I received these notices in January 2003 about the irradiation of my packages and a request to send in another copy since the irradition destroyed the CD.

https://www.fobpro.com/samples/registration-reply.jpg
https://www.fobpro.com/samples/registration-notice.jpg

I haven't seen any updated information posted on the Copyright Office website.

How many images do you plan to register? Normally I just send them one CD contain screen-resolution JPEGs. One form should be sufficient for most submissions, even if they contain multiple CDs.

Feb 03 06 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

Hunter Shelton

Richmond, Virginia, US

All the javascript in the world won't keep anyone from running one of the hundreds of screen capture utilities out there and saving the pics to their hard drive.  Others will simply find the image files in the browser cache.

Feb 03 06 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

J Haig

Let's be clear that the issue is really about someone USING your images, or re-displaying them. 
Downloading them isn't the problem, nor is saving them to a hard drive, since in order to view them that is exactly the process that takes place.

Feb 03 06 10:21 pm Link

Model

Brent

Whitfield, Florida, US

The thing is, even if you disable the right click. all you have to do is go to the page source and find the image tag. in the image tag is the location of the image (where it is hosted) such as  all they have to do is copy that location (wich is a url)  and put it in there browser and hit "go" and there is the image, with no java. so yea, i'd say the best way is to keep it off the net. hehe.

Feb 03 06 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

IllusionDigital

San Francisco, California, US

Well there has been a lot said here, and there are a few things you can do in HTML the prevent the ease of the theft, but as mentioned, it is not fool proof.

In dreamweaver there is a no-cache convention.  I'm not sure how or if its works, but here is the html code

//and next is the no image toolbar as already mentioned

//there is also another trick for the body tag as indicated below

basically, even if you can't right click your images are still draggable, try it sometime.  open a page and drag the image to your desktop - poof, you just copied an image from the internet to your computer.  The code inside the body tag prevents right clicking, dragging and highlighting (i.e. they can't copy and paste text). 

There is a program that claims some efficiency for preventing image theft - www.htmlguardian.com

I hope this is of some help to someone....

-Kevin

Feb 03 06 11:09 pm Link