Forums > General Industry > cell phones replacing photographers?!?

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

i suspect that MANY shooters will become like the blacksmiths of henry fords day...while yes, they were indeed talented, and can put out a great piece of artwork forged from steel, the fact is that the demand for studio shooter is dwindling and the budget restraints of even the big corportions have culled the pool of commercial shooters...why pay for someones overhead when my new sony razor mp3 player phone can let me see the moment and send it immediately to friends around the globe.

Feb 02 06 05:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Crazier Benny

Rochester, New York, US

round one

Feb 02 06 05:42 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

exactly.

Feb 02 06 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

U R totally such a tr0ll.

But U R right!!! Guys like me with our cell phone cameras are gonna like totally eat up the fashion industry with our 'edgy' imagery and 'fuzzy cyber look' that you get with those phixed-phocus cell phone camera lenses.

Then all the so-called "professional" photographrs will be mowing my lawn for a living and I will be like "hey Israel Colon, you forgot to weed-whack around the birdbath! no tip for you!"  I did my last shoot with Angie (that's what I call my pal Angelina Jolie) with my Nokia camera phone and the results speak for themselves! Check my portfolio out! You can't touch me!

GWC!

Feb 02 06 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

you know what pisses me off. I can buy a cell phone that takes photos, show's movies, surf's the internet, plays mp3's, tells me stock info, holds more contacts than I'll ever know, plays video games, calculates tips percentages.

But the fucking thing can't get a signal half the time to make a damned Phone call.

Feb 02 06 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

i am keeping it real...are we not allowed to speak of the state of our beloved industry???

Feb 02 06 05:45 pm Link

Model

Vadella

Saddle Brook, New Jersey, US

David Moyle wrote:
you know what pisses me off. I can buy a cell phone that takes photos, show's movies, surf's the internet, plays mp3's, tells me stock info, holds more contacts than I'll ever know, plays video games, calculates tips percentages.

But the fucking thing can't get a signal half the time to make a damned Phone call.

You have to love technology.

Feb 02 06 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Kennedy

Lancaster, California, US

Although I do see many folks running around with these new 1 megapixel phones snapping shots here and there and sending them to thier friends. I have yet to see anything of the quality and imagination on anyones cell phones posted up here on the site.  I from time to time hate the fact that my camera's are so big that I can not use them at b-day parties and x-mas functions, but I never planned on having any models coming over on those days anyway.
I think that for the simple everyday snapshot the cell phone camera is great, or those kodak moments that happen on a whim, but seriously when it comes to family portraits, fashion ads and model portfolios, I don't think the cell phones will cut it.
Let me know if I am wrong and I will take my Canon 1DS and sell it for a few of those new LG phones.

Feb 02 06 05:48 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

David Moyle wrote:

You know what I'm thinkin? I payed $200 for this thing and it doesn't even have a flash!??! What bullshit! You know the time when I want to take a pic is of me and my friends drunk at the club and all you can see is a black blur!!

Feb 02 06 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

adrienne of Zswana wrote:

You know what I'm thinkin? I payed $200 for this thing and it doesn't even have a flash!??! What bullshit! You know the time when I want to take a pic is of me and my friends drunk at the club and all you can see is a black blur!!

Damn straight! Stupid junk!

Feb 02 06 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

David Moyle wrote:

Damn straight! Stupid junk!

dang...i read that as "stupid drunk"...i should not have drank that third tecate.

Feb 02 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Kennedy

Lancaster, California, US

I know what you mean about that damn signal problem. I have the same issue, all this technology and it still is crap.  Having a camera on my phone has proved to be no use, sure it is great to snap a shot of my friend picking his nose and sending it to his girlfriend, but that is about all it can do. And as of this date I have yet to make a dime on any of those photos.

Feb 02 06 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

BCG wrote:

dang...i read that as "stupid drunk"...i should not have drank that third tecate.

Why stop at 3, go to 4 and just imagine the crap you'll start.

Feb 02 06 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

GWC wrote:
U R totally such a tr0ll... so-called "professional" photographrs will be mowing my lawn for a living and I will be like "hey Israel Colon, you forgot to weed-whack around the birdbath! no tip for you!"

GWC!

A troll fur sure dude... and about Isreal cleanin your birdbath... wait in line Gdub... we got him booked for washin down the tractors, spreadin fertilizer and cleanin the bathrooms... Ur freakin birds can wait... wink

PS:  Issy is actually a long time friend... but an 'obnoxious internet badboy' fur sure.  Boy am I gonna catch some shit for this... LOL!

Feb 02 06 05:55 pm Link

Model

Felicia

Clearwater, Florida, US

Oh my goodness, that Angelina image so rocks! You should join The Crazy Club thread because you my friend are definately crazy!!!

GWC wrote:
U R totally such a tr0ll.

But U R right!!! Guys like me with our cell phone cameras are gonna like totally eat up the fashion industry with our 'edgy' imagery and 'fuzzy cyber look' that you get with those phixed-phocus cell phone camera lenses.

Then all the so-called "professional" photographrs will be mowing my lawn for a living and I will be like "hey Israel Colon, you forgot to weed-whack around the birdbath! no tip for you!"  I did my last shoot with Angie (that's what I call my pal Angelina Jolie) with my Nokia camera phone and the results speak for themselves! Check my portfolio out! You can't touch me!

GWC!

Feb 02 06 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

David Moyle wrote:

You mean it's kind of like a laptop with a slow processor, no memory, a handful of applications, a tiny screen, sucky keyboard, no USB/firewire and a tiny hard disk that you have to pay by the minute to use?

Back in the day I carried a (used, ebay $500) toshiba libretto and a cell phone that just did cell phone stuff. Amazing, huh?

Using a cell phone to do all this crazy nonsense (unless you're a pro like GWC) is just silly; it's like using a screwdriver as a chisel and a hammer and a fork - it's not the right tool for the job.

mjr.

Feb 02 06 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Select Models wrote:

A troll fur sure dude... and about Isreal cleanin doin your birdbath... wait in line Gdub... we got him booked for washin down the tractors, spreadin fertilizer and cleanin the bathrooms... Ur freakin birds can wait... wink

PS:  Issy is actually a long time friend... but an 'obnoxious internet badboy' fur sure.  Boy am I gonna catch some shit for this... LOL!

i am a photographic prophet...and a damn handsome one at that...*just check out my avatar*...but you may call me what you will, but i would be happy to share P&L reports with anyone here.

Feb 02 06 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Synthesis|Photo

Pewaukee, Wisconsin, US

Feb 02 06 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

digital_tmax wrote:
uh oh....

http://www.i4u.com/article3023.html

the world just became a gwc

Feb 02 06 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Harrison Sweazea

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

David Moyle wrote:

I'm laughing my ass off at that because it's so TRUE!!!

Feb 02 06 06:09 pm Link

Model

Felicia

Clearwater, Florida, US

Damn, I can so NOT keep up with technology, I didn't even think I was going to live the day to see a camera phone when I was a youngin. Now they are talking about putting chips in our body to access our medical records. What they heck, where's the aliens?

digital_tmax wrote:
uh oh....

Feb 02 06 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

David Moyle wrote:

I knew you and I had some common ground we could bitch about!

Feb 02 06 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

BCG wrote:

i would be happy to share P&L reports with anyone here.

Dude... all I have is 'profit reports'... losses are for trolls and those who need writeoffs... wink

Feb 02 06 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Select Models wrote:

Dude... all I have is 'profit reports'... losses are for trolls and those who need writeoffs... wink

you dont have paper waste???
you dont have equipment failure/replacement???
you dont have ANY overhead???

dude...you must give the IRS wet dreams.

Feb 02 06 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

digital_tmax wrote:
uh oh....

But can I call someone on the stupid piece of crap?

Feb 02 06 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:

I knew you and I had some common ground we could bitch about!

See, I'm not completely unreasonable!

Feb 02 06 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

AllenA

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Well, your original premise, " cell phones replacing photographers" is a tad misleading.  With the current technology, you still need someone to operate the cell phone.

"Give someone a violin, and they own a violin.  Give someone a camera, and they are a photographer."

I can't remember if that quote is from someone here on MM or another forum.

Add to it perhaps a line like, "Give someone a modern cell-phone and they are a photographer, vidiographer, and DJ."  It's too bad that their ringtone is still so friggin' irritating.  (OK.. yes, I DO use a polyphonic version of 'Sandstorm')

There was an artist here in South Australia who had a show of his camera phone images when he visited the US.  The prints were all about the size of a playing card, mounted with very professional beveled triple matte.

Hey, there was a 'SOLD' sticker on the title card of many of the images.  Maybe that was part of the art, I don't know.

The brochure had words like 'refreshing' and yes, even 'edgy'

The truth is, once we get the government to implant microchips in our heads, everything our eye can see will be recorded, and we'll be able to make images by merely looking at something.  Camera phone users are soon going to lament the state of the art.

Feb 02 06 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

You mean it's kind of like a laptop with a slow processor, no memory, a handful of applications, a tiny screen, sucky keyboard, no USB/firewire and a tiny hard disk that you have to pay by the minute to use?

Back in the day I carried a (used, ebay $500) toshiba libretto and a cell phone that just did cell phone stuff. Amazing, huh?

Using a cell phone to do all this crazy nonsense (unless you're a pro like GWC) is just silly; it's like using a screwdriver as a chisel and a hammer and a fork - it's not the right tool for the job.

mjr.

Exactly!

Feb 02 06 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

David Moyle wrote:

Exactly!

which prompts the qwestion...can the public  indeed tell the difference???...of course WE value our skills and can differinciate (sp?) between snap shot and photogragh, but to the consumer, who is trained in instant gratification, can not.

Feb 02 06 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

BCG wrote:

which prompts the qwestion...can the public  indeed tell the difference???...of course WE value our skills and can differinciate (sp?) between snap shot and photogragh, but to the consumer, who is trained in instant gratification, can not.

You still can't take a good family portrait and blow it up to 24x36.
You can't get quality wedding photos
Magazine editors won't event look at them

There is a place for every new technology. Photo labs went from processing film to printing from digital files when people realized they couldn't get good prints cheaply at home.

Feb 02 06 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

David Moyle wrote:

You still can't take a good family portrait and blow it up to 24x36.
You can't get quality wedding photos
Magazine editors won't event look at them

There is a place for every new technology. Photo labs went from processing film to printing from digital files when people realized they couldn't get good prints cheaply at home.

which now prompts the qwestion how much longer will kodak be around?!?

Feb 02 06 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Eikona

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I think Allen is correct.

Cell phone cameras are the modern equivalent of the Kodak Instamatic.

Nobody undermined the professional photography industry of the previous millennium with pocket film cameras.

Feb 02 06 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

David Moyle wrote:

LOL.  This reminds several years ago when NASA had the spacecraft that went to Jupiter.  They remote controlled it from here.  Jay Leno commented on this and said it amazed him how that equipment could be contolled by remote millions of miles away and he couldn't get his cordless phone to work in his own backyard.  LOL

Feb 02 06 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

BCG wrote:
i suspect that MANY shooters will become like the blacksmiths of henry fords day...while yes, they were indeed talented, and can put out a great piece of artwork forged from steel, the fact is that the demand for studio shooter is dwindling and the budget restraints of even the big corportions have culled the pool of commercial shooters...why pay for someones overhead when my new sony razor mp3 player phone can let me see the moment and send it immediately to friends around the globe.

Size and Quality come to mind.

Feb 02 06 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

BCG wrote:
i am keeping it real...are we not allowed to speak of the state of our beloved industry???

BCG's got a good point...  Ten years ago I made a nice chunk of change drawing and painting...  Nowadays if you hope to remain competitive as a commercial artist you have to go digital.  When I do work in the video game, animation, and film industries I don't even waste time with pencil, paper, and paint anymore - I just draw and paint directly into the computer.  I don't know if commercial photography is at this point yet (or already past it for that matter)..  But about 4 years ago I had come to the conclusion that I must adapt or make a fraction of what I make now...  Then again it's always good to have a few luddites around - makes it easier for the rest of us to get higher pay...

Feb 02 06 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

The Art of CIP wrote:

BCG's got a good point...  Ten years ago I made a nice chunk of change drawing and painting...  Nowadays if you hope to remain competitive as a commercial artist you have to go digital.  When I do work in the video game, animation, and film industries I don't even waste time with pencil, paper, and paint anymore - I just draw and paint directly into the computer.  I don't know if commercial photography is at this point yet (or already past it for that matter)..  But about 4 years ago I had come to the conclusion that I must adapt or make a fraction of what I make now...  Then again it's always good to have a few luddites around - makes it easier for the rest of us to get higher pay...

I Illustrated a children's book last year directly into the computer. It's kinda cool though, you can break apart illustrations and use them in different ways. Changing your mind is easier.

Feb 02 06 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

BCG wrote:

which now prompts the qwestion how much longer will kodak be around?!?

As long as they keep making digital cameras that can compete.

Feb 02 06 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

The Art of CIP wrote:

one of the most insightfull replies i have ever read.

Feb 02 06 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

BCG wrote:

dude...you must give the IRS wet dreams.

IRS... ROTFLMAO... dude... all the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ is in foreign films, Swiss banks and off-shore accounts.  Dont make me educate you on how to play the game... wink

Feb 02 06 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Select Models wrote:

IRS... ROTFLMAO... dude... all the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ is in foreign films, Swiss banks and off-shore accounts.  Dont make me educate you on how to play the game... wink

i do know how to look good for the banks but broke to the irs...i have a photographic empire here in the lone star state...and i have had applications from many former "studio" owners wanting to shoot for me.

Feb 02 06 07:13 pm Link