Forums > General Industry > cell phones replacing photographers?!?

Photographer

J Haig

Gananoque, Ontario, Canada

One thing that strikes me is that there is a generation of teens out there taking more images than ever before, with cheaper digitals and cell phone cams.
And much as it pains me to say it, I think they're on to something.
I know of one model who had a stunning shot on her profile on That Other Site, taken with a cell phone camera.  Low quality, grainy image, to be sure...but it was a much more striking image than several of the shots taken by her local pro with a studio full of gear and a head full of Vogue.
We have pros shooting with cheap imported disposables to capture a certain look...I'm not sure that even with the lack of image "quality" cell phones deserve much less respect as a medium.

Feb 02 06 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

i have to agree...i have seen stunning artwork from the younger crowd.

Feb 02 06 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Richard Kennedy wrote:
Although I do see many folks running around with these new 1 megapixel phones snapping shots here and there and sending them to thier friends. I have yet to see anything of the quality and imagination on anyones cell phones posted up here on the site.

A couple of years back, I attended a seminar by Greg Gorman. He was showing his rooftop studio and the results he got usin available light, and partway through the presentation, he showed some shots of him working (taken by his assistant) ... that showed him using a cell phone to capture the images we'd just seen.

Projected on a 10' screen, you couldn't tell.

(Of course, most photographers aren't Greg Gorman.... smile )

Feb 03 06 05:17 am Link

Model

Sheena

Jersey City, New Jersey, US

David Moyle wrote:
you know what pisses me off. I can buy a cell phone that takes photos, show's movies, surf's the internet, plays mp3's, tells me stock info, holds more contacts than I'll ever know, plays video games, calculates tips percentages.

But the fucking thing can't get a signal half the time to make a damned Phone call.

LOL!....too cute

Feb 03 06 05:25 am Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

David Moyle wrote:
you know what pisses me off. I can buy a cell phone that takes photos, show's movies, surf's the internet, plays mp3's, tells me stock info, holds more contacts than I'll ever know, plays video games, calculates tips percentages.

But the fucking thing can't get a signal half the time to make a damned Phone call.

Oh this one has me laughing my fucking ass off. Or when you DO get a signal you can't freaking HEAR the other person...  And who needs a phone with 3.8Mpx? My phone takes pics up to 1260xwhatever obnoxious amount.

Feb 03 06 05:37 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

David Moyle wrote:

That's why the put all the other s**t in there - hoping you wouldn't notice that the phone itself was crap.

LOL

Studio36

Feb 03 06 06:25 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

adrienne of Zswana wrote:

You know what I'm thinkin? I payed $200 for this thing and it doesn't even have a flash!??! What bullshit! You know the time when I want to take a pic is of me and my friends drunk at the club and all you can see is a black blur!!

My motorola has a flash and a continuous light....LOL..Think Iam gonna sell my 20D...wish I had thought of this sooner!

TPF anyone?  :-)

Feb 03 06 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Eugene Breaux retired

Saint James City, Florida, US

The reliability, vision, and photographic eye of the true professional will never be replaced by amateurs with cell phone cameras. That’s why sophisticated clients are today paying by the usage model, in the thousands of dollars for a setup. It’s not about how many megapixels. It’s about the accomplished photographic vision of the photographer.

Feb 03 06 06:58 pm Link

Model

anjelbaby

Tacoma, Washington, US

The photos on my portfolio are shots I took with my cell phone and I know they could have been better if taken by a better cam but I don't think they turnd out to bad for a cell phone cam.

Feb 06 06 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

anjelbaby wrote:
The photos on my portfolio are shots I took with my cell phone and I know they could have been better if taken by a better cam but I don't think they turnd out to bad for a cell phone cam.

Just like a haircut done with a flowbee isn't bad for a haircut done with something that looks like it was designed to get lint out from under the couch.

Feb 06 06 07:06 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

David Moyle wrote:

* ROTFL *

Feb 06 06 07:07 pm Link

Model

anjelbaby

Tacoma, Washington, US

David Moyle wrote:
Just like a haircut done with a flowbee isn't bad for a haircut done with something that looks like it was designed to get lint out from under the couch.

LOL yeah I know I am getting some new work done for my portfolio but I just used those to get me started

Feb 06 06 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

anjelbaby wrote:

LOL yeah I know I am getting some new work done for my portfolio but I just used those to get me started

Sorry, I couldn't help myself! I have nothing but respect for people who are actually trying. It's the ones that don't try and complain that bug me.

I was just being an ass!

Feb 06 06 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

The Art of CIP wrote:

BCG's got a good point...  Ten years ago I made a nice chunk of change drawing and painting...  Nowadays if you hope to remain competitive as a commercial artist you have to go digital.  When I do work in the video game, animation, and film industries I don't even waste time with pencil, paper, and paint anymore - I just draw and paint directly into the computer.  I don't know if commercial photography is at this point yet (or already past it for that matter)..  But about 4 years ago I had come to the conclusion that I must adapt or make a fraction of what I make now...  Then again it's always good to have a few luddites around - makes it easier for the rest of us to get higher pay...

I just went to the MOMA and they have the Pixar anniversary show up where they have production pieces from every movie they've done.  I hate to tell you, but you may have dumped the paper, pencils, and paints a little too soon...everything they do starts with about 50 artists rendering their own idea of what a character should look like on paper with pencils, pens, and paints.

Oh and those Luddites in commercial and art photography make way more than the new guys do.

Feb 06 06 07:28 pm Link