Forums > General Industry > "Myspace.com" intentions?

Model

No Pe

Berat, Berat, Albania

Jun 11 05 10:15 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

so shut up..keep a clean safe environmet to work in..treat your models with respect and reverance. hone your skills and let your images do the talking..

So you're saying the circus knife-thrower can't practice on my models while I change CF cards?

Jun 11 05 10:22 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
...and dont worry about what someone else is doing...

That's right...  if you witness some guys dressed in black with masks and high powered rifles entering a bank... just turn a blind eye and "dont worry about what someone else is doing".

When you hear a woman scream while some guy is on top of her in a dirty back alley... continue on and "dont worry about what someone else is doing".

And if you happens to see the convicted child molester hanging around the local playground with a bag of candy in his lap, don't bother him... simply go do your own thing and "dont worry about what someone else is doing".

How could I have ever though otherwise?

Jun 11 05 10:28 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by XtremeArtists ®: 

Posted by Doug Swinskey:  so shut up..keep a clean safe environmet to work in..treat your models with respect and reverance. hone your skills and let your images do the talking..

So you're saying the circus knife-thrower can't practice on my models while I change CF cards?

you can create whatever environment you want, without fear that i bad mouth you..

Jun 11 05 10:29 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by SayCheeZ!: 

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
...and dont worry about what someone else is doing...

That's right...  if you witness some guys dressed in black with masks and high powered rifles entering a bank... just turn a blind eye and "dont worry about what someone else is doing".
When you hear a woman scream while some guy is on top of her in a dirty back alley... continue on and "dont worry about what someone else is doing".
And if you happens to see the convicted child molester hanging around the local playground with a bag of candy in his lap, don't bother him... simply go do your own thing and "dont worry about what someone else is doing".
How could I have ever though otherwise?

what a creative use of editing on your part..you seemed to extrapilate a great deal more then i suggested..

let me say it to you in a simple way so that you might understand.

i was suggesting, that if someone does business poorly or in a unethical way..what comes around, goes around..
so what if he lies about his associations and net worth, who cares that he's using photogrpahy as a dating service..
it will take care of itself..

you dont know how bad you make yourself look, with this obsession you have with that guy

.geeze you even regestered a website where you do nothing but slam him..
personally, i dont care for the guy..but give it a rest...

Jun 11 05 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

I couldn't tell you how "legit" it is but I do know that several MM models are there too, and that I have gotten several shoots from girls there who wanted pictures for their page, pictures for their husband/boyfriend, or pictures for their portfolio... so I guess the real question is noth whether the site is "legit" but are the users "legit"?

Jun 11 05 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by SayCheeZ!: 

Yea, because my rent is due. So mind yer bizznizz, bub!

Yea, because you don't want to be next. That place might be crawling with germs! YUCK!!

HEY!!!! RKelly hasn't even went to trial yet!! Leave that man alone!

Jun 11 05 04:00 pm Link

Model

Just Cat

Santa Barbara, California, US

I don't use MySpace as anything more than a time waster, really. Though, I do link to my site. I was unexpectedly contacted by a Brooks student and we did a shoot that went fine. I still haven't received the pictures yet, though. *grumble*

Jun 11 05 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

oliver mendoza

San Francisco, California, US

Myspace was really like the only site that really blew up in the wake of the whole friendster boom.  Of course it's not the best networking tool, esp. in comparison to something like MM, which caters to a specific group.  Myspace is basically like walking into a club, anybody can step up and say hi to you. That's just the rules you get to play by. 
And i've got to object to the idea that this place being more about socializing is a bad thing.  I network enough in real life, it's nice to chat about nothing in particular with people with the same interests. The reason I think more and more people are being drawn to MM over OMP is specifically the fact that it's a more personal, casual atmosphere.  How often on OMP do you see some other photographers work and see it purely as a rival business? Here, I get to compliment and appreciate everybody's work.  Freakin love it.

Jun 11 05 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

oliver mendoza

San Francisco, California, US

Posted by nick latino: 
I have been on MySpace for almost a year...back before it became a kids hang out

heh, trust me, it was a kid's hangout waaaaaay before that.  I mean, look at the 'myspace' parties, or 'myspace model expos' or booths at car shows.  It's the crowd they cater to.

Jun 11 05 04:35 pm Link

Model

Nicholi

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

myspace is great when i have nothing else to do, which is quite often. it is a very legitimate waste of time, and a good way to become E-famous.

Jun 11 05 10:01 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Los Angeles, California, US

Posted by SayCheeZ!: 
I've received a few reports that a convicted criminal is 'harvesting personal information' from model wannabees on that particular website.

The same person has violated many of the "Myspace.com" terms of service (commercial in nature, spam sent to members, more than one account... and many more).  His advertisements are also in violation of Federal laws.... yet the "Myspace.com" administrators refuse to remove the accounts.

After reviewing the Myspace.com website, we found several other people with similar websites.

Is 'Myspace' simply a haven for predators to stalk naive young females, or is it a legitimate website?

I would like some input as to other peoples experiences.  Send via e-mail for privacy if you'd like.

Actually I want to know who the photog is that is doing that.

Jun 12 05 03:21 am Link

Model

Kenneth

Orlando, Florida, US

I found this site through myspace...point taken?

Jun 15 05 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by VegasModel: 
Well hate to bust in on the conversations but check out my space http://spaces.msn.com/members/VegasModel/   its called Vegas

I hate to bust in on your post... BUT... WTF?

I couldn't get myself to look at a third picture of your album... tell your photographer to replace his cracked lense... j/k.

Then... that is a MSN portfolio and we are talking about MySpace...

Hijacking a thread (what you did) is not very desired.

Jun 15 05 12:49 pm Link

Model

LochTessMonster

Bend, Oregon, US

I think for people in the industry, myspace can be a great tool to get your name out there, direct people to your website, etc. I've also booked several shoots through myspace.

There are plenty of weirdos out there, but you have to remember, it's a free-for-all site. It's not meant for industry professionals only, it was intended to be an alternative to Friendster, for crying out loud. I think it has definately surpassed friendster by far. It has industry options, networking options, and it also has the potential for stalkers, weirdos and preditors. The thing is, if you're putting your name out there, which I think everyone here on the site could probably not get enough of, it's a good tool for that. But like any place where you're putting yourself out for fans or networking, you're bound to have at least one person out there trying to ruin it for everyone.

It's a great time waster. It can be a great networking tool if you use it right, and it can be a great jump start for those of us in the industry who want to put our name out there, maybe redirect people to our sites, etc.

Jun 15 05 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

photographybyStavros

Bainbridge Island, Washington, US

http://www.myspace.com/stavrophotography    Is my new account since I can't acces my primary account. As soon  as I get everyone on this one  I will remove everything from my

http://www.myspace.com/stavrosworld

Dec 14 06 05:16 pm Link

Model

Mia Mali

Los Angeles, California, US

I have two myspaces; one to self promote and the ohter for personal.  Neither of which are for actually modeling contacts.

Dec 14 06 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Anthony

Glendale, California, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
I've been networking with other photographers, models musicians and other artists much longer on MySpace than I have with ModelMayhem. In fact, I would never have known about this website (MM) if it had not been for MySpace.com

same for me... i heard about MM via several models i met on myspace, but i have gotten more paying gigs from bands and models via myspace than MM... bottom line, it's what you do with it... joining MM doesn't guarantee paying gigs anymore than myspace does, but obviously since myspace isn't a modeling site, you will deal with a lot more b.s...

you can knock myspace all day with the drama that plays out there, but funny thing is, almost all of my agency models and celebrity clients have real accounts on myspace rather than on MM...

Dec 14 06 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Anthony

Glendale, California, US

whoa... i just realized this is an old thread... haha...

Dec 14 06 05:36 pm Link

Model

_Absentia_

Austin, Indiana, US

Hmm...

I got a Myspace account back in 04 just to talk to friends on it....but that didn't work out too well back then since NONE of my friends had one.  Now almost everyone has one...

But I only made an account to talk to and make new friends.

Funny thing is, just last night (or technically early this morning) I added "Modeling" networking to my Myspace profile.  Already today I get a message about "Modeling opportunities in Houston".

Quite interesting.

Dec 14 06 05:36 pm Link

Model

BellaLynn

Denver, Colorado, US

I have a myspace page just so people can see my face and I can get more recognition. I don't socialize with anyone I don't know personally. Maybe small talk to a few but that is rare. I have only had one or two creepy messages sent to me but never anything like a picture of some guys privates. It is what you make of it I think...

Dec 14 06 05:42 pm Link

Model

Adieu

MM, OMP, and whatever else you may use = networking

Myspace = fan base

Dec 14 06 05:44 pm Link

Model

marytza

Orlando, Florida, US

well i have one just for the fun of it

www.myspace.com/marytzag

to meet people maybe or even get some work from it

Dec 14 06 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Holy $hit... how did this thread get revived???  It's  1- 1/2 years old!

Dec 14 06 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

MF productions

San Jose, California, US

myspace is great for musicians. ya theres alot of stalker, shady  types on it but you'd be stupid to put all your personal info on it as well.

Dec 14 06 06:42 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Myspace is a legitimate free-for-all networking/dating/whatever/time waster.

Yeah, I agree.

It's mostly just that their staff (which happens to be paid, too, AFAIK?) doesn't give a shit.

Dec 14 06 06:45 pm Link

Model

TIFFANY A

MySpace shouldn't be used for modeling since it isn't geared towards the industry, but you CAN get good networking done. Since it IS a networking website.

I have two accounts. A personal one and one that showcases my photography. I don't use MySpace for anything but to keep in touch with people but word of mouth is the best form of networking, and apparently being on peoples friendslist is also a great way of networking. I never used MySpace to network in the industry but turned out to be a great tool.

As a photographer, I've had better connections on MySpace than MM. As a model I never liked OMP very much and prefer MM over it.

To each their own. I say use whatever works well for you.

Dec 14 06 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

noel Salcedo

New York, New York, US

myspacers dont know what tfp or tfcd means wink in other words u'll get cash! smile

Dec 14 06 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

photographybyfrank

Clearwater, Florida, US

Koala wrote:
MySpace shouldn't be used for modeling since it isn't geared towards the industry, but you CAN get good networking done. Since it IS a networking website.

I have two accounts. A personal one and one that showcases my photography. I don't use MySpace for anything but to keep in touch with people but word of mouth is the best form of networking, and apparently being on peoples friendslist is also a great way of networking. I never used MySpace to network in the industry but turned out to be a great tool.

As a photographer, I've had better connections on MySpace than MM. As a model I never liked OMP very much and prefer MM over it.

To each their own. I say use whatever works well for you.

I agree to each his or her own,
I have contacted a few females to photograph from myspace , 5 to be exact and the 5 show up on time, and were very pleasent n polite , all 5 shoots went very well .
That show up rate is a 100% not like on MM which from the average of what most photographers come up with is a 30-35% show up.
So if it works well for some people why knock it. Remember its just another website

Dec 14 06 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

SayCheeZ! wrote:
Holy $hit... how did this thread get revived???  It's  1- 1/2 years old!

Blame it on Stavro.. LOl.. I didnt see that fact at first either...

Dec 14 06 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

Mark J. Sebastian

San Jose, California, US

My myspace page revolves around my personal life and interests. one major interest happens to be photography. while i don't get many stray request for photography, i do have mindshare with those that i'm connected with. In other words, whenever the conversation of graphic design or photography pop up, the fingers point towards me.

Dec 14 06 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

On Jun 11 05 UdoR wrote:
Also a reminder to the newbies (accounts higher than 1,000 ;-) ) Tyler's intention WAS a MySpace feel to it with networking, chatting and having fun...

That's a LOT of newbies. smile

Dec 15 06 03:36 am Link

Photographer

joshua ellis

Savannah, Georgia, US

Both Myspace and MM are very addicting. I started my Myspace because some people at work were on it. Starting networking and met some really cool people. It's a great format to display you work/art...it's like a free webpage. Then just by chance I met my girlfriend Mayhem #286267 she didn't even have pictures of herself up when we fell in love. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Dec 15 06 03:44 am Link