Forums > General Industry > is tfp a rip off?!?

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

have spoken with a number of gals who were asked to do a tfp shoot and only got a few lousy prints out  of the deal...if the nature of the shoot is TFP, why should the gal not get a complete set of prints with high res Cd???

Jan 27 06 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

BCG wrote:
have spoken with a number of gals who were asked to do a tfp shoot and only got a few lousy prints out  of the deal...if the nature of the shoot is TFP, why should the gal not get a complete set of prints with high res Cd???

Because a lot of photographers are:

a] chintzy

b] lazy

c] insecure control freaks

d] jerks

e] dumb

f] *your answer here*

Jan 27 06 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Key

Long Beach, California, US

BCG wrote:

Cuz the photographer sucked. I only do TFP for myself since it's just a hobby for me.

Jan 27 06 04:04 pm Link

Model

StaciF

New York, New York, US

Personally I enjoy TFP- And a few of the best shots edited makes me happy- but after giving 150% to a shoot to walking away with nothing- Not even one edited picture- Makes me want to charge cause at least then I will have gotten something for my time-

Sorry If I am starting to sound jaded- Because I am starting to get that way

Jan 27 06 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

You should be a control freak over your images as photographer, or any visual artist for that matter.  They're effectively all you've got.

5-6 final full res images or prints / the whole shoot low res for reference only.

Jan 27 06 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

MB Photography

Paradise Valley, Arizona, US

BCG wrote:

Define "a complete set of prints" ...  one per outfit, 2 per outfit,  prints of every shoot you took??.   Same goes for the CD,  how many images on CD? how many retouched?

It's only a rip-off if you were promised more than was delivered,  the best way to avoid conflict,  as mentioned earlier on another one of this endless threads is to negotiate before the shoot,  who gets what, how many, in which form and in when.

And here we go again,  if the model is unhappy, the photographer sucks,  if the photographer is unhappy the model sucks.     Use your words people,  ask!!

Sorry,  I'm having one of those days.

MB

Jan 27 06 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Becuase every image I edit takes me anywhere from 10minutes to 1/2 hour, so if I give a model 6 images than I have actually given her my entire evening. I think that should be plenty. I also don't allow unedited images to go up anymore after some bad expieriences,

Star

Jan 27 06 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

VisionsofZen

Berkeley, California, US

I think the model should get whatever she/he and the photographer agreed on.  Maybe that isn't every photo shot, because I know several photographers, including myself that wouldn't give up every shot.  But if the model and photog agree to X number of edited photos, then that is what it should be.

Jan 27 06 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

I look through all the photos, process the ones I like (generally a dozen or more), then invite the model to come to my office, look at the ones I processed and the ones I didn't in case she see some I didn't like but she does. I process them for her on the spot. Send her off with a CD and tell her to call me when she decides what ones she wants prints of.

If the model is too far away to make the drive. I send her a CD with the hi res processed, low res for the internet, and ALL the ones I did not process in a 5x7 low res so she can look them over and tell me if there are more she wants.

Jan 27 06 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Allure by LH Taylor

Austin, Texas, US

Berumen wrote:
It's only a rip-off if you were promised more than was delivered,  the best way to avoid conflict,  as mentioned earlier on another one of this endless threads is to negotiate before the shoot,  who gets what, how many, in which form and in when.

Great comment.  If a model wants prints of every shot, then s/he should ask for it before shooting begins.  Likewise, if a photographer agrees to do it, then s/he should clarify whether it's "straight from camera" or processed. 

I figure models want to pick and choose what goes in their portfolio which is why I don't waste time processing (or paying for prints for) 150-200 shots when many of them may be outtakes.

Edit: I should mention I rarely stick to JUST what was promised.  I usually go out of my way to ensure the model was happy simply because I want to keep a positive relationship for possible future endeavours.

Jan 27 06 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

BCG wrote:
why should the gal not get a complete set of prints with high res Cd???

i'm hoping this is sarcastic

Jan 27 06 04:23 pm Link

Model

Kemara

Tavares, Florida, US

I think its fair, as a model, to get a full CD of the images we shoot. Then I choose a amount of the images, that the photographer decides(on the #), and then tell him which image # I like, and he edits them, or something depending on our agreement. I don't think its right for the photographer to decide which images I decide to post, or project for my portfolio. The photographer can decide on his own which he wants to use. Photographers say "I don't want bad pictures out there displaying my name"... why would a model want to use bad pictures showing HIS/HER own name? I've had photographer(s) send me pictures they like better, and I would NEVER want to display those pictures... I'm just very picky, and the photographer picked out the ones that had, to me, obvious flaws. To me, that photographer is too self centered to care about any1 else, and he wouldn't be worth my time... honestly. I dunno...
~!*Kemara*!~

Jan 27 06 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Jarek James

Atlanta, Georgia, US

The model (he or she) should always get prints.  And even if you don't give them prints of every single pic, they should at least be able to see how everything turned out or know why certain shots are missing from the overall shoot.  Let's play fair folks.

Jan 27 06 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

StanB

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

i know of one  model who acepts that 1 high quality 8*12 is a fair TFP deal; 4 or 5 8*12's is pretty reasonable - what isn't is giving the same 4 or 5 shots in websized only.

myself I give low res copies of all shots (in camera Jpeg) after the shoot for reference/preview; with both hi and web resolution of the keepers, with  4 or 5 8*12's of the best after edits

Jan 27 06 04:28 pm Link

Model

N-Vancouver

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

What I got once, and I thought it was so perfect, is a CD of all the raw images plus 5 prints of the photographers choice, edited. Those five were also edited on the CD. It would've been nice to pick those shots with him but I didn't really care to at the time. I really liked that a lot.

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Justin N Lane wrote:
You should be a control freak over your images as photographer, or any visual artist for that matter.  They're effectively all you've got.

5-6 final full res images or prints / the whole shoot low res for reference only.

The low-res option is fine, and is still a lot different than just showing the model a handfull of images the photographer deems "acceptible."  I don't bother making low-res versions of non-edited images, but that's just me.  I'm not ashamed to admit that models often see things on the disc that i totally missed.  I'm not above editing out things I think are truly awful before I even make the model's disc.

I just think it's nice to take into account that models are often looking for totally different things in an image than photographers...If someone is going to give up a day of their life [or more] to satisfy my creative jones, the least I can do is give 'em a little value for their time.

Photographer

Cassandra Panek

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Star wrote:
Becuase every image I edit takes me anywhere from 10minutes to 1/2 hour, so if I give a model 6 images than I have actually given her my entire evening. I think that should be plenty. I also don't allow unedited images to go up anymore after some bad expieriences,

Star

agreed. a lot more time goes into post processing for good/meticulous images than people realize. besides, what can you do with 10-200 pictures of variations on the same look? you're only going to use one or two (the very best) per look in your portfolio, and the rest are just a waste of editing time. and for those who would argue that what they think is best and what the photographer thinks is best are different, you agreed to work with a photographer based on his/her portfolio, so you obviously liked what you saw, and should trust their judgment like the other models have.

Jan 27 06 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

I once had a model really like a shot I hated. She asked me to process it. I said to her "I hate it, it's not my best work, I'd really rather you didn't use it" She respected my request and I didn't process it for her.

It's about mutual respect.

Jan 27 06 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:

The low-res option is fine, and is still a lot different than just showing the model a handfull of images the photographer deems "acceptible."  I don't bother making low-res versions of non-edited images, but that's just me.  I'm not ashamed to admit that models often see things on the disc that i totally missed.  I'm not above editing out things I think are truly awful before I even make the model's disc.

I just think it's nice to take into account that models are often looking for totally different things in an image than photographers...If someone is going to give up a day of their life [or more] to satisfy my creative jones, the least I can do is give 'em a little value for their time.

I'm usually open to the people I'm working with (often not only models, but clothing designers, MUA's etc) needing different images, I just like to have final control.  I can only think of one or two instances where I didn't go ahead and give the shots the other parties were interested in.

Jan 27 06 04:33 pm Link

Model

Kemara

Tavares, Florida, US

Naomi Wasiatycz wrote:
What I got once, and I thought it was so perfect, is a CD of all the raw images plus 5 prints of the photographers choice, edited. Those five were also edited on the CD. It would've been nice to pick those shots with him but I didn't really care to at the time. I really liked that a lot.

Pretty much goes w/what I said... just a lot shorter, lol... I agree

Jan 27 06 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

BCG wrote:
why should the gal not get a complete set of prints with high res Cd???

1) because I shoot film... she can have a copy of the proof sheets if she asks

2) because my prints really do sell in galleries, so they have a tangible and documented value

3) because, as a wise friend of mine once said, the difference between a serious photographer and a hobbyist is that the hobbyist shows everyone ALL of their pictures.

Jan 27 06 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

RayAndWen

OLD HICKORY, Tennessee, US

Naomi Wasiatycz wrote:

This is similar to our policy. Raw images, finished set & web resizes on a disk. Plus prints of the finished shots. We also let the model/client get a look at them at the raw stage when possible, in case they have different ideas about what should be used for finished shots.

Jan 27 06 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Ken Mierzwa wrote:

2) because my prints really do sell in galleries, so they have a tangible and documented value

3) because, as a wise friend of mine once said, the difference between a serious photographer and a hobbyist is that the hobbyist shows everyone ALL of their pictures.

Really? So in a collaboration situation (very different than hiring a model to use for work you are selling) you don't think she has the right to see it and see how she did?

Jan 27 06 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Ken Mierzwa wrote:

thank you!

Jan 27 06 04:43 pm Link

Model

Kemara

Tavares, Florida, US

Ken Mierzwa wrote:

But its not of just YOUR work, its of you AND the model... and a model has the right to view her own pictures, ESPECIALLY for a TFP... So you shoot film, u give her a proof sheet, and rights to be able to get prints for her port of the images SHE likes too...
and on your #3~its BOTH of your work so you should BOTH see it, its not "everyone", your self centered and greedy if you have a mind like that

Jan 27 06 04:44 pm Link

Model

Kemara

Tavares, Florida, US

David Moyle wrote:

Really? So in a collaboration situation (very different than hiring a model to use for work you are selling) you don't think she has the right to see it and see how she did?

EXACTLY... like I said: self centered and GREEDY

Jan 27 06 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

is tfp a rip off?!?

Only if one of the parties involved sucks at what they're supposed to be doing. Then it's a rip off/waste of time for the other parties.

BTW, I only give edited images and I have a target 2 week turnaround time for editing. Some photographers give the model a CD of all the unedited pictures in high res, I don't.

I give the model a selection of what I think were the best images shot. I literally throw out 1000 images for every shoot, and usually more like 1300. The model gets 15-30 edited images on a hidden web page. If they have a really strong look they get as many as 60 images, but that is rare.

Jan 27 06 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Kemara wrote:

EXACTLY... like I said: self centered and GREEDY

Oh, dear Lord. I didn't say that.

I think what we have here is a difference of levels of accomplishment. If he pays a model, he has no obligation to show them anything. If he sells his art regularly, he may have no need for tfp/tfcd (testing in the brick and mortar world) and not completely understand it's need.

He still uses film, it's not as easy to develop them all and very costly. I was just inquiring to his thoughts.

A little common courtesy and respect people! Less fighting that way and more discussions.

Jan 27 06 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Ched wrote:

Only if one of the parties involved sucks at what they're supposed to be doing. Then it's a rip off/waste of time for the other parties.

BTW, I only give edited images and I have a target 2 week turnaround time for editing. Some photographers give the model a CD of all the unedited pictures in high res, I don't.

I give the model a selection of what I think were the best images shot. I literally throw out 1000 images for every shoot, and usually more like 1300. The model gets 15-30 edited images on a hidden web page. If they have a really strong look they get as many as 60 images, but that is rare.

1,000 images!!

That's when digital is more expensive than film. Time is expensive too! I wouldn't have the patience!

Jan 27 06 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

When I shoot a model, he/she almost never sees the in-camera images (once in awhile, if there is time, I'll give the model the opportunity to sit down and do a flipthrough right after I download them on the computer, but it's not the norm.)  After the shoot I edit down to the acceptable shots (usually 1/3-1/2 of the full shoot) and do some basic editing, then burn them websize on a CD.  If the model would like physical prints, he/she can buy them from me at a very reasonable price (at which time I will do more meticulous retouching.)  I DO NOT give the right to reproduce, which is why I only give websize copies on CD.  When I shoot TFCD, I consider the sitting fee to be waived, but I still charge for the prints because they cost me money (and I have plenty of money into the shoot already with camera, lights, etc.)  Remember when photographers used to be able to make money on prints?

Jan 27 06 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

JENSTARR PHOTO

Los Angeles, California, US

Personally,
I would never work for trade or for free.Unless the subject was INCREDIBLE!!!! and secondly if I ever did do tfp,The subject would get retouched final picks 1 or 2 from each set-up (high resolution).Prints cost money.Everyone involved can make thier own print.The payment for shooting or modeling etc.... is having the final shot or shots...Why should the photographer have to now go into pocket for prints?????We should all be resposible for our own book.

Jan 27 06 05:00 pm Link

Model

Kemara

Tavares, Florida, US

David Moyle wrote:

Oh, dear Lord. I didn't say that.

huh? lol... i'm agreeing w/your comment... lol

Jan 27 06 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Kemara wrote:

huh? lol... i'm agreeing w/your comment... lol

I know, but it doesn't mean he's greedy and self centered. Just maybe in a different place in his career.

Jan 27 06 05:04 pm Link

Model

Kemara

Tavares, Florida, US

David Moyle wrote:

I know, but it doesn't mean he's greedy and self centered. Just maybe in a different place in his career.

Well, in my opinion its self centered and greedy b/c TFP is a trade, its not just to benifit the photographer, and its not just to benifit the model...

Jan 27 06 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

This is all why I never do tfp/tfcd; I have a tendency to procrastinate, superimposed on a demanding day-job, so - despite my best intentions - it could be a LONG time before the model got the CD (regardless of the quality or lack-thereof of the images).  I don't shoot often, but I always pay the model.  Then - if I do manage to put a CD together and send it out - it's a bonus, and models are always welcome to link to or download any images that I post.

Jan 27 06 05:08 pm Link

Model

Kemara

Tavares, Florida, US

jen starr wrote:
Personally,
I would never work for trade or for free.Unless the subject was INCREDIBLE!!!! and secondly if I ever did do tfp,The subject would get retouched final picks 1 or 2 from each set-up (high resolution).Prints cost money.Everyone involved can make thier own print.The payment for shooting or modeling etc.... is having the final shot or shots...Why should the photographer have to now go into pocket for prints?????We should all be resposible for our own book.

I do agree w/the whole prints aspect... but a lot of photographers I worked with have their own room to get the prints. If you have to pay for a store to print them, then yea, the model/photographer should be responsable for their own, but the model should still get a low res(at the least) CD of the shoot so he/she can decide which she wants edited, etc. for HER book.
~!*Kemara*!~

Jan 27 06 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

This again calls for the famous graph...

https://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/f/fb/320px-Simple_supply_and_demand.png

Jan 27 06 05:13 pm Link

Model

Tanya Dakin

if everyone made it clear upfront what they both exspect nad agree on there would be no hard feelings in the 1st place. and even more so get that shit in writing! after you have established a good working tfcd /tfp relationship and have worked a few more times together you can always bend a little in both directions.

Jan 27 06 05:14 pm Link

Model

Tanya Dakin

BTW 75% of my portfolio is tfcd

Jan 27 06 05:17 pm Link

Model

leila

my whole port is TFP

Jan 27 06 05:19 pm Link