Forums > General Industry > is tfp a rip off?!?

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

David Moyle wrote:
Really? So in a collaboration situation (very different than hiring a model to use for work you are selling) you don't think she has the right to see it and see how she did?

David... to clarify... yes, in a collaboration situation, she gets to see everything, assuming that's what she wants.  Because I do the majority of my work in a few cities, what typically happens is that we'll sit down and go over proof sheets together at some point, usually after I've already sent a few of my choices... if it's someplace I'm not returning to for a while, then it's by mail.  Some models, especially the ones I work with frequently, do like to go over everything, a few like to retain photocopies of proof sheets.  Others don't seem to care. 

But as you've already recognized, it's a different game with film, doing more than a handful of scans  from any one shoot becomes fairly labor intensive, and I'm not interested in putting hi-res versions of the entire shoot out there anyway.  Fortunately, the majority of the models I work with are interested in a few top-quality images, it doesn't help them to post too much from any one shoot.  Most are also relatively experienced so they are already pretty good at visualizing results.

I do need to rely on the models to express themselves though, because the range of expectations seems to vary quite a bit from person to person.

Jan 27 06 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

CameraSight

Roselle Park, New Jersey, US

BCG wrote:
have spoken with a number of gals who were asked to do a tfp shoot and only got a few lousy prints out  of the deal...if the nature of the shoot is TFP, why should the gal not get a complete set of prints with high res Cd???

Sorry, that should be negotiated between the model and photographer BEFORE any shoot and spelled out in a model release , including delivery date. Since I usually do TFCD, I give a MIN of 10 retouched images in both high res (300dpi) and low res web images(72dpi) in jpg format and MAYBE a few photos.I don't give 300 unretouched images on a cd to a model right after a shoot, like some photographers. As I said, you have to negotiate first . If you  and the model cant come up with a fair number, then just say NO.   Ive said NO to a few Demanding models, who want blood ... and then some. lol. Just my 2 cents worth.

Jan 27 06 05:27 pm Link

Model

Ms Wonderful

I think doing a TFP is a great opportunity for the Models as well as the Photographer. It is a way for both parties to gain from the experience, however if you do shoot a TFP, you should get all copies of your images and also have the right to reprint, publish and submit. I personally don't think you should do any TFP's unless you will gain as much as the Photographer.

Jan 27 06 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

Synthetic Shadows wrote:

agreed. a lot more time goes into post processing for good/meticulous images than people realize. besides, what can you do with 10-200 pictures of variations on the same look? you're only going to use one or two (the very best) per look in your portfolio, and the rest are just a waste of editing time. and for those who would argue that what they think is best and what the photographer thinks is best are different, you agreed to work with a photographer based on his/her portfolio, so you obviously liked what you saw, and should trust their judgment like the other models have.

Sheesh, do all female photograhers think on the exact same wavelength or what!!! I agree TOTALLY...

Jan 27 06 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Kemara wrote:
Well, in my opinion its self centered and greedy b/c TFP is a trade, its not just to benifit the photographer, and its not just to benifit the model...

Kemara, we're unlikely to ever cross paths because what you do is very different than what I do... but just hypothetically... my prints go for $150-350 depending on size and venue.  If I give a model five or ten hi-res scans and, if she's interested, a chance to review proof sheets... where  exactly is the problem?  Since my shoots rarely exceed two or three hours, how is that not a fair trade for your time?

Like I said, you can see the results if that's what you want.  I'm simply not going to put hi-res versions of the entire shoot out there, because 1) it would take much too long with little or no benefit; and 2) most of my models understand that either of us posting anything but the best only hurts us both.

Jan 27 06 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

BCG wrote:
have spoken with a number of gals who were asked to do a tfp shoot and only got a few lousy prints out  of the deal...if the nature of the shoot is TFP, why should the gal not get a complete set of prints with high res Cd???

Wow.  I just gave a girl a CD of her shots with about 160.

Jan 27 06 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Cassandra Panek

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Dee wrote:

Sheesh, do all female photograhers think on the exact same wavelength or what!!! I agree TOTALLY...

the X chromosome has linked rationality and photography genes that are gender-specific. wink

Jan 27 06 05:37 pm Link

Model

Kemara

Tavares, Florida, US

Ken Mierzwa wrote:

Kemara, we're unlikely to ever cross paths because what you do is very different than what I do... but just hypothetically... my prints go for $150-350 depending on size and venue.  If I give a model five or ten hi-res scans and, if she's interested, a chance to review proof sheets... where  exactly is the problem?  Since my shoots rarely exceed two or three hours, how is that not a fair trade for your time?

Like I said, you can see the results if that's what you want.  I'm simply not going to put hi-res versions of the entire shoot out there, because 1) it would take much too long with little or no benefit; and 2) most of my models understand that either of us posting anything but the best only hurts us both.

I'm not saying give her a full CD of hi res... i'm saying give her a low res CD, let her choose the ones she likes too(not ONLY the ones you like)... like have the images #ed... and then she can decide from there.
Or in your case~ give her a proof sheet, and a way for her to get images printed for her port., or let her decide which images she wants, not only what you think is best. Like I said before... there are photographers that picked images out for me, and they were AWFUL! I wouldn't want to put my name or keep my face/etc. on that image. So why should I allow them to post them? U know what I mean? Its a 2 way street. A collaberation is a collaberation either way you look at it...
I'm not necisarily saying that your greedy, etc. I'm saying that photographers that dont' want to give models anything besides 3-9 images from a shoot is a bunch of shyt.
~!*Kemara*!~

Jan 27 06 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Kemara wrote:
I'm not saying give her a full CD of hi res... i'm saying give her a low res CD, let her choose the ones she likes too(not ONLY the ones you like)... like have the images #ed... and then she can decide from there.
Or in your case~ give her a proof sheet, and a way for her to get images printed for her port., or let her decide which images she wants, not only what you think is best. Like I said before... there are photographers that picked images out for me, and they were AWFUL! I wouldn't want to put my name or keep my face/etc. on that image. So why should I allow them to post them? U know what I mean? Its a 2 way street. A collaberation is a collaberation either way you look at it...
I'm not necisarily saying that your greedy, etc. I'm saying that photographers that dont' want to give models anything besides 3-9 images from a shoot is a bunch of shyt.
~!*Kemara*!~

Yeah but...
If you let a model choose the shots, often times she'll choose one that is poorly exposed, or the lighting needed adjustment, or the shadows were wrong, or whatever, because she thinks the shot makes her butt look cute or she likes her expression.  The photographer has every right to remove pics from the running that do not meet their standards for acceptable representation of their work.  If you want to choose the pics, get a camera.

And no, it's not "shite" just because you don't agree with it.  If you don't like the photographer's arrangement, don't work with them.  If a model demands a high res CD immediately after the shoot and wants the right to print them herself at Walmart, I say (politely) she can take a hike, I don't work that way.

Jan 27 06 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Cassandra Panek

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Amanda Schlicher wrote:
Yeah but...
If you let a model choose the shots, often times she'll choose one that is poorly exposed, or the lighting needed adjustment, or the shadows were wrong, or whatever, because she thinks the shot makes her butt look cute or she likes her expression.  The photographer has every right to remove pics from the running that do not meet their standards for acceptable representation of their work.  If you want to choose the pics, get a camera.

And no, it's not "shite" just because you don't agree with it.  If you don't like the photographer's arrangement, don't work with them.  If a model demands a high res CD immediately after the shoot and wants the right to print them herself at Walmart, I say (politely) she can take a hike, I don't work that way.

Amen! said much better and more tactfully than i could have managed!

Jan 27 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Champion Hamilton

New York, New York, US

This repeating topic is exactly why I put a FAQ section on my site covering my basics. Also the very reason, as has been said a few times, you need to talk out the details.

Too many people take this "I like your shots, let's shoot!" approach. You need to talk to each other on a TFP basis. You need to actually take the time and learn about who you'll be collaborating with. Ask questions to find out how they resolve situations. Find out how they do what they do. You can't just expect everyone to do the same things. Our actions are shifted according to what we deal with.

These are the very same reasons after a while, many photographers and models don't publicly do TFP. It's important to build a rapport with a person before just setting up a date to shoot.

Jan 27 06 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Synthetic Shadows wrote:
the X chromosome has linked rationality and photography genes that are gender-specific. wink

I must be a closet woman?  Uh-oh...I just opened a very bad can of worm.

I agree with all you *edit: FOUR* ladies, literally put words in my mouth.  smile

Jan 27 06 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Funny there are two TFP strings running at the same time...whats even more HUMOUROUS is who started this one..

BUt for the sake of the thread..I say only this..

It's about what is agreed upon and what is deleivered. If all parties are in agreement from start to finish..then there are no dispute or ill feelings.

I post my TFP guidelines right here on MAyhem and send ALL models to that page before we even shoot.

I am a bit of a control freak with my work, even down to the retouches.

My policy, my company , my rules..

If any model will not sign or simply doent like my poicy, they simply dont shoot with me.

It's fair and civil when you take care of all the expectations from the begining of any process.

Hmmmmmmm,

I think my work here is done..

Again...yep..... you know what is coming...

I FIND IT ALL HUMOROUS!

Happy Shooting all!

Vance McDaniel

www.trueimageconcepts.com

Jan 27 06 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Kemara wrote:
~!*Kemara*!~

With all due respect, what I offer is clearly stated on my web site.  From there, as III's diagram so beautifully illustrates, it's a matter of supply and demand.  If I were brand new at this, perhaps I'd need to offer more.  But I'm not, and I don't.

Jan 27 06 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

lll wrote:
This again calls for the famous graph...

https://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/f/fb/320px-Simple_supply_and_demand.png

I am so stealing this!!!! 

LMAO

Jan 27 06 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Amanda Schlicher wrote:
Yeah but...
If you let a model choose the shots, often times she'll choose one that is poorly exposed, or the lighting needed adjustment, or the shadows were wrong, or whatever, because she thinks the shot makes her butt look cute or she likes her expression.

By the same token, it's possible the model may see something in the raw images the photographer missed because they were looking for something else.  I've had it happen to me, more than once.  Most of the people I work with are artists in their own right of one sort or another, and have pretty good judgement beyond "i look cute in that shot."

Amanda Schlicher wrote:
The photographer has every right to remove pics from the running that do not meet their standards for acceptable representation of their work.  If you want to choose the pics, get a camera.

It's no trick to simply pre-edit the raw images before committing them to disc.  I do it all the time, so in effect, the model dosen't get anything in raw form that I wouldn't want anyone to see.

Jan 27 06 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
By the same token, it's possible the model may see something in the raw images the photographer missed because they were looking for something else.  I've had it happen to me, more than once.  Most of the people I work with are artists in their own right of one sort or another, and have pretty good judgement beyond "i look cute in that shot."

It's no trick to simply pre-edit the raw images before committing them to disc.  I do it all the time, so in effect, the model dosen't get anything in raw form that I wouldn't want anyone to see.

If a model wants to ask me to please not use a particular image because she feels it portrays her in a less than flattering way, I'll very likely grant that request.  But for someone to demand that they see and be able to use and print every image we shoot is unacceptable.  They are not HER pictures, and they are not OUR pictures, they are MY pictures that I'm allowing her to use (assuming we are talking TFCD).  That's why I'm the one with the camera in my hand.  That's why it says in my profile and in my contract that I have full rights to the images, maintain full copyright, and when a model signs my release she agrees to release the right to examine the finished product, etc.  Not that I'm really that much of a hardass about it, or inconsiderate to the model, but it's all legal.

There's also the hazard that the model *doesn't* have any of that good judgement stuff.  As evidenced by many of the pictures models on this site use in their portfolios.

Jan 27 06 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Amanda Schlicher wrote:

If a model wants to ask me to please not use a particular image because she feels it portrays her in a less than flattering way, I'll very likely grant that request.  But for someone to demand that they see and be able to use and print every image we shoot is unacceptable.  They are not HER pictures, and they are not OUR pictures, they are MY pictures that I'm allowing her to use (assuming we are talking TFCD).  That's why I'm the one with the camera in my hand.  That's why it says in my profile and in my contract that I have full rights to the images, maintain full copyright, and when a model signs my release she agrees to release the right to examine the finished product, etc.  Not that I'm really that much of a hardass about it, or inconsiderate to the model, but it's all legal.

There's also the hazard that the model *doesn't* have any of that good judgement stuff.  As evidenced by many of the pictures models on this site use in their portfolios.

Yep, no bad photographer choices on this site whatsoever.

Jan 27 06 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

W I L L I A M A N U E L

Emeryville, California, US

Tanya Dakin wrote:
BTW 75% of my portfolio is tfcd

Yeah Tanya geez i've seen your port. Your should get paid Wow!!!

Jan 27 06 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

David Moyle wrote:

Yep, no bad photographer choices on this site whatsoever.

I didn't say that.  But I don't have to protect my work from them.

Jan 27 06 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Amanda Schlicher wrote:
They are not HER pictures, and they are not OUR pictures, they are MY pictures that I'm allowing her to use (assuming we are talking TFCD).  That's why I'm the one with the camera in my hand.  That's why it says in my profile and in my contract that I have full rights to the images, maintain full copyright, and when a model signs my release she agrees to release the right to examine the finished product, etc.  Not that I'm really that much of a hardass about it, or inconsiderate to the model, but it's all legal.

Your feeling illustrates the fundamental difference between us.  To me the images belong to both the model and myself equally.  It's not like they'd exist without their input.  As I said before, I'm very, very careful who I work with...Most of my models are artists in their own right and we operate as such:  two artists working on a collaborative idea.  It's just different from how you see it, not better or worse.

Amanda Schlicher wrote:

Like I said, if you work with smart models, they make smart decisions...if you work with dumb models, they make dumb decisions.  I work with smart people I can trust [and who trust me], so I don't have to worry what they do when I'm not looking [and vice versa].

Jan 27 06 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Amanda Schlicher wrote:
I didn't say that.  But I don't have to protect my work from them.

I was just teasing.

Seriously though. I tend to go into a tfcd situation as a partnership. I want the model to get what she wants out of it. So, I let her see all the work. Even my screw-ups. Hell, she saw me fall in the tidal pool when I hit the button, so, that's why ist's a little cockeyed and blurry.

Sure, I retain the ultimate copyright and ownership, but, I find if I show respect and consideration for them, they are nicer to me as well and not petty.

Of course, I've been married for 12 years too, so maybe I've become whipped.

Jan 27 06 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

David Moyle wrote:
I was just teasing.

Seriously though. I tend to go into a tfcd situation as a partnership. I want the model to get what she wants out of it. So, I let her see all the work. Even my screw-ups. Hell, she saw me fall in the tidal pool when I hit the button, so, that's why ist's a little cockeyed and blurry.

Sure, I retain the ultimate copyright and ownership, but, I find if I show respect and consideration for them, they are nicer to me as well and not petty.

I don't mean for any of this to sound like I disrespect the model.  I love to collaborate on ideas, and anyone who has worked with me knows that I am very respectful of the model's wishes.  I wouldn't want them to feel like they are getting ripped off, but if you choose to work with me, you choose to play by my rules (which are clearly outlined in the contract that I send the models prior to the shoot, which leaves them plenty of time in which to chage their minds).  This probably comes from working under a photographer who makes a lot of money on her prints and is therefore very protective of the copyright of her work, and very protective of the images she allows the client to see.

I just think it's unreasonable for a model to make demands about pictures that don't belong to him/her.

Jan 27 06 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

lll wrote:
This again calls for the famous graph...

https://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/f/fb/320px-Simple_supply_and_demand.png

Please get rid of this graph....

Jan 27 06 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

David Moyle wrote:

Beyond whipped......

Jan 27 06 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

BasementStudios wrote:

Beyond whipped......

At least she doesn't give me crap about taking photos of women. So, I'll manage.

Jan 27 06 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Kelly

Huntington Beach, California, US

When I do a TFP shoot, the models usually recieve between 200-300 shots on a CD at the end of the shoot.  I have no patience with "shooters" that try and charge after the shoot or dont follow through with all the photos.

Mike

Jan 27 06 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

T H Taylor

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

The same bloody argument again...
Bottom line:  Models do not have the right to demand a cd of the full sized files (sorry ladies and gents, no matter how you slice it, we own the rights to those images).  If a photographer decides to give a model the raws (which are basically negatives) that's his or her perog... I would not suggest it (I've had models "dupe" my imagery off of low res files because they didn't want to pay for the prints; i've also had them do some crazy shit to my work in "photoshop elements" or whatever... very frustrating) but once again that's the photograpers perog (and hopefully that has been discussed prior to shooting.).
Me, I do it the way it should be done (old school baby), I give the model CONTACT SHEETS of the shoot that display every shot we took... From that, he or she can pick images to be edited and printed (once again hopefully, prior agreements have been made).
Why is this so tough??  I've never had a problem with this process and, no one gets screwed.

Jan 27 06 07:47 pm Link

Model

May-Lu

Austin, Indiana, US

Berumen wrote:
It's only a rip-off if you were promised more than was delivered

MB

Bingo!

I don't care if I receive 1 or 100, as long as I get what I was promised I was going to get!  smile

Jan 27 06 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

ActionShots Photo

Barboursville, West Virginia, US

Why is there so much 'processing' going on???

-Dan.

Jan 27 06 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

I don't give a CD of full sized images (any more). I don't need to see my intellectual property badly altered and placed online with my name attached to it.

I give a CD of web-sized version of all 'useable' images, by my definition (and I have a very broad definition of useable). If I have negotiated a number of prints/and or finished images, the model gets 8x10/8x12 prints as well as full sized and web sized version of the edited images.

As I go through and do later edits for my own use, I give the model full and web sized versions of THOSE images. So they can potentially get a steady stream of images, spaced over time beyond the originally agreed upon number.

Jan 27 06 08:04 pm Link

Model

Zoe

Palm Beach, Florida, US

ditto!  i feel your pain.
and since we can't kick them in the n--- for not giving up the images, trades are now at risk...

StaciF wrote:
Personally I enjoy TFP- And a few of the best shots edited makes me happy- but after giving 150% to a shoot to walking away with nothing- Not even one edited picture- Makes me want to charge cause at least then I will have gotten something for my time-

Sorry If I am starting to sound jaded- Because I am starting to get that way

Jan 27 06 08:08 pm Link

Model

Rachel Models Too

Lakewood, California, US

Expectations should be set before the shoot.  I give a CD with the best photos in print and web quality formats.  The model can look over the rest to see if there are any others she wants. 

Last I checked, both the model and the photographer were putting in their time, so they should both expect to get something in return.

Jan 27 06 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

T H Taylor

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Zoe wrote:
and since we can't kick them in the n--- for not giving up the images, trades are now at risk...

yeah... Please don't start kicking us in the nuts!!!  Ouch!  smile
Well, if you don't want to do tfp, that's your perog but, you're going to have to deal with a lot of less than pro pics from a lot of amatuers that are paying models,l basically to see boobies.  let's face it, hopefully you are working with people on this forum to build you portfolio so... you can kick ass in the real world; gwc (I hate that term) shots (I'm generalizing) are usually not agency friendly.  Now, If you models are just trying to make money testing then... indicate no tfp's and, your intentions will be known to the world.
Also... Many photographers on this site have to deal with the "flaky model no-show..." There are unprofessional people in every aspect of this industy making tfp a risk for everyone. 
Have a groovy day!

Jan 27 06 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Zoe wrote:

HA! HA! I don't got any nuts to kick!

Jan 27 06 08:25 pm Link

Model

Zoe

Palm Beach, Florida, US

i am already agency rep'd, but do like tfps to keep the skills sharp and also, to network, etc., i just get angry sometimes.

all i am saying is 'pay what you owe'.  if we agreed, then make good on your end of the deal.

i have no issue paying for a shoot if it's seen as a value to me.  wink

T H Taylor wrote:

yeah... Please don't start kicking us in the nuts!!!  Ouch!  smile
Well, if you don't want to do tfp, that's your perog but, you're going to have to deal with a lot of less than pro pics from a lot of amatuers that are paying models,l basically to see boobies.  let's face it, hopefully you are working with people on this forum to build you portfolio so... you can kick ass in the real world; gwc (I hate that term) shots (I'm generalizing) are usually not agency friendly.  Now, If you models are just trying to make money testing then... indicate no tfp's and, your intentions will be known to the world.
Also... Many photographers on this site have to deal with the "flaky model no-show..." There are unprofessional people in every aspect of this industy making tfp a risk for everyone. 
Have a groovy day!

Jan 27 06 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Rachel Models Too wrote:
Expectations should be set before the shoot.  I give a CD with the best photos in print and web quality formats.  The model can look over the rest to see if there are any others she wants. 

Last I checked, both the model and the photographer were putting in their time, so they should both expect to get something in return.

Something for their time..
Cool..well said...

I give em a Web resolution CD..Or e-mal..depending...

3 to 5 retouched images.. high res..will drop that to two soon..

They can ORDER and PAY for more retouches later if they life from the web resolution CD.

They can not retouch images them selves.

I own all rights and have an agreement in the contract in case images are sold. The model will get a cut.

They must do the same, if they are so inclines to shop the images around. Though low res is a hard sell.

V

Jan 27 06 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

Mikel Featherston wrote:
I don't give a CD of full sized images (any more). I don't need to see my intellectual property badly altered and placed online with my name attached to it.

Unless I'm the one butchering it. (Had to be said)

Jan 27 06 08:52 pm Link

Model

leah marsh

Long Beach, California, US

StaciF wrote:
Personally I enjoy TFP- And a few of the best shots edited makes me happy- but after giving 150% to a shoot to walking away with nothing- Not even one edited picture- Makes me want to charge cause at least then I will have gotten something for my time-

Sorry If I am starting to sound jaded- Because I am starting to get that way

I feel the same.. Half the photographers that I've worked with have yet to even give me a cd.. Makes me so bummed.

Jan 27 06 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

leah michel wrote:

I feel the same.. Half the photographers that I've worked with have yet to even give me a cd.. Makes me so bummed.

They make it hell for those of us who try. If I don't have a disc in the hands of my model in a week or less from the date of the shoot, I screwed something up.

Jan 27 06 09:19 pm Link