Forums > General Industry > Why would they say she is too commercial looking?

Photographer

JeffM

Ketchum, Oklahoma, US

I just did some portfolio work for JodyB and out of a whim she applied to ANTM to see if she had the right stuff to be on their show.  Their response was confusing and depressing to say the least.  I would like to get some opinions of what you guys think of the email and what it is says to her and others who are trying to get into modeling.

reads: (Beautiful young girl but her look is very commercial which is limiting.  Outside of the show and as a vocational career path, I would not recommend her spending too much energy on modeling.
Best regards,)

JodyB's MM site is: #93624
https://modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=93624

I would really like to get others opinions about this.  Mine is that Jody has the right stuff but maybe there is a trend that I don't know about??
Thanks,
Jeff

Jan 21 06 11:49 am Link

Photographer

GvM Photography

GAMBRILLS, Maryland, US

Why? Strange to me..
Somebody who wrote this is just jealous.

Jan 21 06 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Very commercial? Did not some of the models from ANTM get into commercials and do commercial modeling?Even the winnders, dont they do commercials and commercial modeling afterwards? If they did not want commercial looking models it seems weird they would give the winning models a commercial modeling contract.

Jan 21 06 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

Malloch

Hastings, England, United Kingdom

This is about par for the course with some agencies. A few years ago I had one model send her stuff to several agencies, same reply from all. She decided to go freelance. Within a year she had done about $150,000 worth of work and the same agencies were falling over themselves to sign her up.

Jan 21 06 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

jmc wrote:
This is about par for the course with some agencies. A few years ago I had one model send her stuff to several agencies, same reply from all. She decided to go freelance. Within a year she had done about $150,000 worth of work and the same agencies were falling over themselves to sign her up.

Because she proved she can be a money maker for them. I hope she told them to kiss her arse. She can make more on her own because the money that would normally go to the agency for the agencys fee can go into HER pocket.

Jan 21 06 12:06 pm Link

Makeup Artist

User Name Unavailable

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

i would agree that she looks commercial. she is pretty, but she is a girl next door; not someone i would want to see modelling high end luxury items.

Jan 21 06 12:10 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Los Angeles, California, US

jmc wrote:

Seems to be the case..
My experience with agencies is it seems they dont know what they want.
They say one thing but when you give it to them they say its something else, usually contradicting themeselves.
Its across the board with them, even as a MUA.

Jan 21 06 12:11 pm Link

Model

SxxySpicyNY

Brooklyn, New York, US

Even though her look is commercial - that's fine. However, it shouldn't be the fact that they said that as the problem. The problem is how they said it. How can you look at her port and say that she shouldn't pursue modeling any longer. Total rudeness ...

Jan 21 06 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Another take.  They get tons of applications and have to say something to those declined.  That's the standard decline wording.

-Don

Jan 21 06 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
Another take.  They get tons of applications and have to say something to those declined.  That's the standard decline wording.

-Don

Bingo, it is just a polite way of saying thank you for submitting, but right now she doesn't have the look we need.

Don't take it personally.

Jan 21 06 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

I have no idea why they pick the girls they do. I sometimes wonder if it is about making good TV more than good fashion models. However I don't think she would be a good fashion model for a top agency in NY. As far as their stupid remark about her not doing any modeling at all that is a very common sentiment coming from the fashion types as far as they are concerned their is no real modeling outside of their little myopic world.

Jan 21 06 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

JeffM

Ketchum, Oklahoma, US

I would think that having a "commercial look" would be a good thing for a printed page in Vogue or Elle.  Why would I be wrong?

Jan 21 06 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

I think they would prefer someone a little more exotic someone who really catches your eye.

Jan 21 06 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

JeffM wrote:
I would think that having a "commercial look" would be a good thing for a printed page in Vogue or Elle.  Why would I be wrong?

Having a "commercial look" would be a good thing for selling toothpaste and sweater sets.  Having a "fashion look" would be a good thing for a printed page in Vogue or Elle.

Jan 21 06 12:53 pm Link

Model

JodyB

Takoma Park, Maryland, US

Thanks everyone.

Jan 21 06 02:12 pm Link

Model

Joelle

Seattle, Washington, US

Saying that she has a commercial look is fine but, did they really need to add - wouldnt suggest spending much time modeling at the end of the decline.  I mean I understand that they send the same one across the board but, seriously they only pick 30 girls to begin with you cant tell me that the 30 the pick are the ONLY ones that should be modeling - gimme a break

Jan 21 06 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

I’ve never seen the show but feel the letter is a standard industry wide.
I agree with Don, Alan and Terry and remind Jody not to take it as a personal attack on her but as constructive criticism to direct more attention on other areas of her modeling career.

Jan 21 06 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Erin Heather wrote:
i would agree that she looks commercial. she is pretty, but she is a girl next door; not someone i would want to see modelling high end luxury items.

Right. Listen to Erin.

As I am slowly coming to understand it, "commercial" means normal. Commercial means off the rack clothes, pharmacy-case makeup, and girl-next-door models.

If young Milla Jovovich is fashion, young Jessica Simpson is commercial.

Jan 21 06 02:42 pm Link

Model

elisaveta ♀

New York, New York, US

I don't think she could be a high fashion model, so they are probably right about her having a commercial look. But that's not the issue here. It's how they said it, I agree.
But don't forget. There are thousands of people/models applying for ANTM, and most of them need to be cut; they could care less if they are rude or polite. Politeness is a word that does not exist in the Fashion/Modeling Industry!! Jody should not take it personally at all!
Just my opinion!

Jan 21 06 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Elemental Photo

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

JodyB wrote:
Thanks everyone.

Well, whether you are commercial looking or you aren't, you're very pretty, so screw them and keep modelling. smile

Jan 21 06 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

When they say that someone is "too commercial", what they really mean is that the model is "not high fashion enough" and that in turn means that they are looking for someone that is the high fashion type.

It's all about selling product.

If I had to explain it, I would probably summarize it like that.

Re: Clothing.

First there is high fashion, garments, often exaggerated being shown on the major runways to fashionistas and buyers world wide.

Those garments are being presented by the high fashion runway models.

The fashionistas, editors and buyers decide which garments they like.

Those garments are then being used as "templates" to produce them for the masses and are not the same as shown on the runway, which end up in the department stores, from high end stores, Saks and Bloomingdales to JC Penny and others in the upcoming season.

For their catalogues and advertisments of their lines, they then use commercial models that are closer to regular people, but still way above average looking.

Commercial includes also accessories that are worn and not necessarily shown on runways, such as jewelry, beverages, close ups of hats, gloves and footwear.

Jan 21 06 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Gregory Storm

Burbank, California, US

She is short and average.  Pretty, but average.  ANTM is about creating the next top-dollar name-value supermodel.  There is nothing about her photos that even comes close.  ANTM does not do catalog models.

Go to http://www.fordmodels.com/main.cfm and http://www.womenmanagement.com and http://www.demarchelier.net/home.html and look at those models.  Night and day difference.

Just because you're pretty and somebody takes a photo of you doesn't make you a model.

The online modeling world needs a Simon Cowell to tell the wannabees that they will never be.

Joelle wrote:
...I mean I understand that they send the same one across the board but, seriously they only pick 30 girls to begin with you cant tell me that the 30 the pick are the ONLY ones that should be modeling - gimme a break

Exactly why I highly doubt that they send that to every model.  Maybe JodyB should take it personally.  It could save her months of rejection of thinking she's a high fashion top model when she is not.

Jan 21 06 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Gregory Storm wrote:
The online modeling world needs a Simon Cowell to tell the wannabees that they will never be.

You're not talking to her though, I hope? She has a good look, it's just not a runway look and she's too old to start in high fashion.

Jan 21 06 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Zero Dean

San Diego, California, US

Rejection is a major part of this industry. Get used to it, but don't let it get you down.

Thick skin is required. Live, learn, move on. Repeat.

Having talent and good looks (if you're a model) is important, but so is timing, location, and who you know. That and perseverance.

Jan 21 06 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Gregory Storm

Burbank, California, US

Ched wrote:
You're not talking to her though, I hope? She has a good look, it's just not a runway look and she's too old to start in high fashion.

No.  That was a general quote that should be applied to EVERY model who has a portfolio on any of the "modeling web sites."  MM is much better about having models that you can actually see making it than others sites, but still the quote applies here too.

JodyB & JeffM - Understand that I think the photos are good.  And I'm not telling you to give up modeling.  Why did you submitted to ANTM?

Jan 21 06 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Philip of Dallas

Dallas, Texas, US

Heck, I'd go back to watching ANTM if Jody was in it! My guess is that they have so many applicants, that they are pre-screened by a bunch of underlings who know little about modeling, but more about making hamburgers at McDonalds.

Jan 21 06 03:54 pm Link

Model

Brandy Engle

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Sometimes I really think it's just a nice way of saying there's nothing special about the way you look and they're not interested.

*shrug* Perhaps that is too harsh to say; I mean what has been said above that they just wanted to say Nice look, not for us--Thank you, drive through!

Jan 21 06 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

-Don

quite right,  that is just agency speak for, "you are a very pretty girl but you don't have a fashion face."  Small agencies don't like to take chances.  They want cupids bow lips, perfect noses and symetrical faces. 

Plus, commerical models make more damn money.  I don't see that as a let down.  Go to commercial agencies.

Jan 21 06 03:57 pm Link

Model

Mika THE MYLF Lashawn

Spartanburg, South Carolina, US

Gregory Storm wrote:
She is short and average.  Pretty, but average.  ANTM is about creating the next top-dollar name-value supermodel.  There is nothing about her photos that even comes close.  ANTM does not do catalog models.

Go to http://www.fordmodels.com/main.cfm and http://www.womenmanagement.com and http://www.demarchelier.net/home.html and look at those models.  Night and day difference.

Just because you're pretty and somebody takes a photo of you doesn't make you a model.

Exactly why I highly doubt that they send that to every model.  Maybe JodyB should take it personally.  It could save her months of rejection of thinking she's a high fashion top model when she is not.

JodyB you are a pretty girl, but modeling is anything but pretty. People arent going to be nice to you and are not going to find a way to say things politely. If you are going to be offended by anything that someone says to you, then no modeling is not for you. I have been told tons of things such as "my boobs are too big, my butt is too big/not big enough, if I were an inch taller, and you just dont come across as striking." I had to decide if I wanted to be a model because I wanted everyones approval or because I enjoy it.
I qouted the above post because I believe it is extremly informative and truthful. Think about how many thousands of people have been done a disservice when auditioning for shows such as amercian idol, because all their family, friends, drunk strangers at a karoke bar, someone who wanted to get in their pants, people who were tone deaf, and those who were too afraid to be honest and just say you might want to consider a voice lesson or two.
MM while it is a great site, is full of people who may not be as knowledgable of the modeling business as they believe they are. Take the info you have been given..and run with it. If you really are too commerical, then go collect your too commercial paycheck. Be the face of Covergirl, Jergens, and whatever else you want to take on.
If you honestly beleive ANTM missed something then go hit the legitmate agencies in New York, Miami, and Milan. Even Trya Banks (who I personally just dont care for) was turned down numerous times before getting signed.
Educate yourself about the business side of modeling, decide where and if you fit in, listen to advice from knowledgable sources, learn from those making mistakes, and take everything with a grain of salt.
You are beautiful, and I hope you realize you do not need some scripted over dramitized waste of space reality(Not!)tv show to prove that. Besides...all the damn participants and winners have a hard time getting work after the show anyways. Why bother?

Jan 21 06 04:43 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

She does look commercial, thats not a bad thing....thats where most models  make money, but it's not very exciting.  High Fashion is what people want to see when watching TV and looking at magazines, High fashion is exciting.   Keep in mind the sponser is Cover Girl, the girls are there to entertain us and to sell Cover Girl Makeup, it's as simple as that.  The fashion portion keeps us glued to the tv so that we will pay attention to the sponser (Cover Girl)

What makes her commercial is her friendly face, shorter stature and over all girl next door look. 

and on a side note for anyone interested in tryin out for ANTM

If I were trying out for ANTM I would take all the nude stuff out of my port...not that they are against nudity but it's doubtfull that they would choose a Cover Girl face knowing that there were nude shots all over the internet of her.  The implied nudity done on the show is about as much as they are going to want to see of any model trying out.  Cover Girl has a clean image, it's sold in Walmart, Kmart, grocery stores etc.....the ads appear in mainstream magazines.

Jan 21 06 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

ericphotonyc

Brooklyn, New York, US

By the way, ANTM are not top models.  They are girls who are going to make good television.  Top models are signed with IMG, DNA, Women, Next, etc and are shooting Prada campaigns, editorials in Numero, iD, Italian Vogue, and walking runway for Oscar de la Renta.

Jan 21 06 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

Well at least she isnt a black model getting the you're too exotic response. Which according to my sources at various agencies translates into "You're too black but we cant say that or you'll sue us."

Though I must say I LOVE hearing stories about those who were turned down and blew up into something that had everybody going DAYUM and kissing ass. Kind of like Cindy Crawford having been told she'd never make it in modeling until she got rid of her mole. Ooooh is some agent out there kicking themself in the ass over THAT one? LOL

Should scan and post all the rejection letters I had gotten. Then I finally got someone to give me a break at 16. Though they didn't at first know I was 16... he he he. Maybe they just wanted me to shut up and go away and figured that was the best way to do it.... LOL

But Jody, you keep doing what you do. And I hope that you kick the shit out of this BS modeling game. Especially since you are deaf. Be like Stevie, and Ray, and take excuses away from people NOT to do stuff. I know for me as a producer I would WANT you on the show. If for nothing else than a simple ratings kick. Sort of like affirmative action. And does it matter WHY you got to the top as long as you got there?

Though I don't personally know sign language I actually have an interpreter just for such a contingency. Talk about being prepared... LOL

Jan 21 06 05:33 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

If what they're looking for is compelling TV and none of the models are really model material anyway, I don't know why they wouldn't at least consider her. They had a legally blind girl, why not a deaf one?

Jan 21 06 06:44 pm Link

Model

Barbray

Atlanta, Georgia, US

JeffM wrote:
I just did some portfolio work for JodyB and out of a whim she applied to ANTM to see if she had the right stuff to be on their show.  Their response was confusing and depressing to say the least.  I would like to get some opinions of what you guys think of the email and what it is says to her and others who are trying to get into modeling.

reads: (Beautiful young girl but her look is very commercial which is limiting.  Outside of the show and as a vocational career path, I would not recommend her spending too much energy on modeling.
Best regards,)

JodyB's MM site is: #93624
https://modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=93624

I would really like to get others opinions about this.  Mine is that Jody has the right stuff but maybe there is a trend that I don't know about??
Thanks,
Jeff

Wow Jeff...

You got a response and a relatively polite one (Industry wise) at that.
If you check out comments in the SLAM thread...you will see
that you and she could have been dished MUCH worse.

But as others have stated, that is the Industry's idea of polite form letter denial.

But also, as others have stated, there are secondary and third level markets where
she MAY find interest that are more local to her.  The BEST way to find out is to
have her attend open calls with local agencies.  One local "No thanks" is not the kiss of death...but if all say the same then she will need to rethink her desires or her modeling venue alternatives.

I wish her the best!

Jan 21 06 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Cardillo Photography

Palm Coast, Florida, US

Philip of Dallas wrote:
My guess is that they have so many applicants, that they are pre-screened by a bunch of underlings who know little about modeling, but more about making hamburgers at McDonalds.

I couldn't agree more...i stopped watching it myself when i felt that they were choosing people to stay because it was better tv to keep them than to keep better (imho) models.  They might not have made for better tv, but they were better in my opinion.

I think Jody needs to keep up the good work and forget them....They might be a good way to get a jump start to a modellng career, but realize that ANTM is basically a reality show.  And reality shows never really make you into anything but miserable while you are involved.  Do you want to be in something that might make you totally stressed out?
I am sure that there will be plenty of photographers that will want to work with you.
All of this is in my honest opinion.

Jan 21 06 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

datadr

Vancouver, Washington, US

Ok, I haven't the patience to read all the responses, but I did get the point of many.

A couple of thoughts:

1. Agency is a business, modeling is a business, if the rejection, no matter how delivered is too harsh, then you are in the wrong business. Toughen up.

2. Took a look at her portfolio. Yes, I would love to work with her, and if I have a chance I will. Great look, great body. BUT!!!!!!!  There really is nothing to seperate her from tha above average looking teenager. Now the shot of her licking her lips is great, shows alot of energy, and the ability to deliver to the camera. Still if thats the best she can deliver, then maybe she doesn't fit with the top fashion models.

3. Give up modeling....never, she's got too much going for her. Will she be making billions modeling, doubtful, but she could easily make a nice living.

Who am I, nobody. I know nothing, believe nothing etc. etc. but perhaps the agency didn't want her popping up at another agency, and making them regret their decision. ie.  give up modeling...

Thanks

Jan 21 06 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

JeffM

Ketchum, Oklahoma, US

Ok.. I don't mean to be naive but I was under the understanding it was the models job to show up on time and have the desire in her heart to perform to her best ability and of course be photogenic and it was the makeup artists, the hair stylists, the apperal designers, the photographers, and the photoshop pros who gave her the look to whatever vision that was on the sketches and storyboards.
I mean how can they predetermine whether the model has a commercial or fashion look before makeup?  If anyone has pictures that explains the differences in what determines a look I and alot of other people would really appreciate it.

Thanks everyone!  And I am sure Jody will be relieved when she finds out she has a good commercial look to her.

Jan 22 06 01:52 am Link

Photographer

joe snow

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Frankly, she has a very commercial look.  If you have any doubt, simply look at the type/look of the models we shoot for fashion in W, Numero, French & Italian Vogue....and yes, American Vogue and Elle.  I'm sure she will do fine on the local market in her area, but not in any major market.  Simply put, compare her present photos with what you see in the major magazines and on the major agency sites.  And yes, this IS a business.  I'm not there to be anyone's best friend or spare anyone's feelings.  If a person cannot see the difference, they never will.

Jan 22 06 02:04 am Link

Model

Tiffany Karns

Nashville, Arkansas, US

Well.. for one thing... she's 5'7" which... is too short to do any runway or high fashion type jobs... which - is what ANTM mostly participates in....

Another thing... If they saw her nude images... they wouldn't choose her for that...

Agencies really shutter on the whole nude modeling before you're signed and everything else...

But... when agencies or in this case, ANTM say that she's "too commercial" it just means that she's not what they're looking for and she'd be too much work to try and get her where they need her to be...  Why I know that... I was told that by alot of the top 10 agencies in NYC in July... I recently signed with a "Mother" agency in Nashville and they work with only the top agencies in the major market cities... NYC, LA, Miami, Japan, Germany, etc... My agency is responsible for re-vamping my book and then, they will be getting me signed with one of the top 10 agencies... and at my age, they will actually take me... just b/c my book will be at their level... and I also have tearsheets now, which I didn't have in July... Now, it looks as if by March, I'll be moving to either NYC or Japan... And the reason I knew this answer about being "too commercial" is bc I talked to my agency about it and that's how they responded...

Hopefully this helped some....  I didn't understand it either when I kept getting let down in NYC b/c heck!! I'm 5'9 1/2", 115 lbs... 30/24/35... definitely have a lot of different markets i can work in... so I didn't understand... now... I do... and now, I've gotten the work I needed to be in my book since July...

So... for ANTM... or any fashion market, she is considered short...

Hope you understand now... :0)

If you'd like to talk more, just contact me... Thanks! smile

Tiffany

Jan 22 06 02:08 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

My best guess is that it is about trends and fashion. Americans aren't exotic enough lately.

Jan 22 06 02:09 am Link