Forums > General Industry > Why would they say she is too commercial looking?

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

galavanmoskou wrote:
Why? Strange to me..
Somebody who wrote this is just jealous.

Yes. The producers of America's Next Tp Model are "just jealous" of random internet wannabe model.

The "OMG U R just jeallus!" excuse may have hit a new low with this.

As far as i know ANTM is looking for someone who could do both fashion and commercial, so it really is possible they beleived she was too commercial. More likely, they just didn't like her for whatever arbitrary reason.  It happens.

Jan 22 06 02:11 am Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jeff,

Please, please, please tell your model friend that ANTP is a reality show, and not at all a good barometer for the fashion industry.  They are looking for models with the right look and the right personality for a reality show first.  Hell, the winner of the first season is now making a living - drum roll - on The Surreal Life, another crap reality show!  Whatever happened to those lucrative modelling contracts?  They expired and never got renewed. Your friend shouldn't get depressed, she should rejoice they turned her down.

Jan 22 06 02:12 am Link

Model

Tiffany Karns

Nashville, Arkansas, US

JeffM wrote:
Ok.. I don't mean to be naive but I was under the understanding it was the models job to show up on time and have the desire in her heart to perform to her best ability and of course be photogenic and it was the makeup artists, the hair stylists, the apperal designers, the photographers, and the photoshop pros who gave her the look to whatever vision that was on the sketches and storyboards.
I mean how can they predetermine whether the model has a commercial or fashion look before makeup?  If anyone has pictures that explains the differences in what determines a look I and alot of other people would really appreciate it.

Thanks everyone!  And I am sure Jody will be relieved when she finds out she has a good commercial look to her.

Okay... where to begin about this one...

Agencies don't want anyone who they have to photo-shop and photo-shop AND PHOTO-SHOP to make look good.... they would prefer to do the less photo-shop as possible... Agencies are out there... agents know what they want... they are trained in this business and I am hoping to one day run my own agency... Jody isn't high fashion... she's not tall enough to be considered a high fashion model... high fashion models need to be taller than 5'8".... lower waist no bigger than 35"....

Also  -  they can tell off the knock what type of look they have... that's what they're trained to do!! If they needed the MUAs, designers, "photo-shop techs", photographers and who ever else just to determine what type of market someone would be good in... they will be spending way too much time AND money just to find that out... they'd be stuck paying the photographer, paying the MUA...paying the designer... and so forth and so forth.. so yeah  - - thank GOD they know what they're doing and what they're talking about...

And I agree with the person above that left a comment stating that ... look in a magazine and look at her images and her look... there's not a thing that stands her apart from any other average teenager/adult.... agencies want something to stand out... they need something or... everything would look the same... everyone could be considered a model... and ... like they said... she could stick to a local market... but not a big top ten market in NYC, Miami, LA or so forth...and you can make good money by just local agencies...

tell her to try that...

Jan 22 06 02:18 am Link

Model

Tiffany Karns

Nashville, Arkansas, US

JeffM wrote:
I would think that having a "commercial look" would be a good thing for a printed page in Vogue or Elle.  Why would I be wrong?

Commercial wouldn't be a printed page in Vogue or Elle....

Commercial modeling is more where she is selling the product... where she is advertising something on print... My friend, Katie is signed with Wilhelmina Miami - Miami is a Commercial Market... they unfortunately have a short market ranging from Jan-April, or else I'd LOVE To be there right now... Anyways - Katie just did a thing for Goody Hair Rollers... which can be found at Walmart.... THAT, my friend... is Commercial modeling...

Jan 22 06 02:24 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

commercial model =
https://www.themakeupartist.com/images/stockbyte5.jpg
https://www.themakeupartist.com/images/stockbyte1.jpg

Fashion model=

https://www.themakeupartist.com/galleries/foxx6.jpg

photo by Jason Christopher

I could only find ONE fashion model on my entire website portfolio (at least 50 photos), thats because Fashion model material is rare....Janeane is 6ft about a 34 hip, with Elite in LA.

Could makeup/hair/styling make the first 2 girls look like fashion models?  No, we could try but would only make them look stupid and out of place...just picture the first 2 models in the last shot.

Jan 22 06 01:49 pm Link

Model

JodyB

Takoma Park, Maryland, US

Jan 23 06 09:32 am Link

Photographer

JeffM

Ketchum, Oklahoma, US

Well... to me except for the last one being 6 ft tall... the first two look sweet and innocent and the last one looks like she has changed a few tires in her time.  Other than that they all to me look to have pretty much the same facial and body features.  I have always believed that a good model is one that could give you whatever look the client wanted and it was the job of the good photographer to not only know his lighting but to be able to direct the model to get whatever look he needs.  Why am I wrong about this?

Jan 23 06 09:55 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

JeffM wrote:
Well... to me except for the last one being 6 ft tall... the first two look sweet and innocent and the last one looks like she has changed a few tires in her time.  Other than that they all to me look to have pretty much the same facial and body features.  I have always believed that a good model is one that could give you whatever look the client wanted and it was the job of the good photographer to not only know his lighting but to be able to direct the model to get whatever look he needs.  Why am I wrong about this?

There is a huge difference here in these models.  It doesnt matter how good a model is, you can't turn a commercial model into a fashion model...it's DNA,  I really don't care how good the photographer, the makeup artist, the stylist... you cant make a VW Bettle look like a Corvette.  Why would you try when you can just get a Corvette?

Jan 23 06 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

They said no. Accept it, move on, find something else to do.

Jan 23 06 10:09 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

and jeff....please look closely at the facial features, look at the chiseled face in the fashion model, look at the round face of the bride. look at the bones in the neck and upper chest look at the definition in the body...one is best as a clothes hanger, the other better to sell you cars, computers, whatever.  One looks approachable, the other is unapproachable.  The model you posted is approachable, cute, girl next door.  Look at photographers that do a lot of fashion, look at their books....Jason Christopher, Eric Striffler.. these guys are great at picking FASHION models

Jan 23 06 10:29 am Link

Model

Dominique de Merteuil

London, Arkansas, US

JeffM wrote:
Ok.. I don't mean to be naive but I was under the understanding it was the models job to show up on time and have the desire in her heart to perform to her best ability and of course be photogenic and it was the makeup artists, the hair stylists, the apperal designers, the photographers, and the photoshop pros who gave her the look to whatever vision that was on the sketches and storyboards.
I mean how can they predetermine whether the model has a commercial or fashion look before makeup?  If anyone has pictures that explains the differences in what determines a look I and alot of other people would really appreciate it.

Thanks everyone!  And I am sure Jody will be relieved when she finds out she has a good commercial look to her.

When a model ( a fashion model ) goes for a casting, she CAN'T have a make-up on, so they can see how she REALLY looks. They are experts, and know who has the high fashion look, and who hasn't. " You are pretty, but your look is too commercial" means, " you are just not a fashion model material"!

Jan 23 06 10:45 am Link

Model

Zoe

Palm Beach, Florida, US

Mary:
Just curious what you think of me?  I am signed with 2 commercial agencies; I recently went into a fashion agency, just for kicks, to see what they would say about my hitting their 'classics' (read: too old for high fashion) board.

They told me I am 'too commercial'.  smile  So, I'd say that I've found my niche.

Your thoughts?

Mary wrote:
and jeff....please look closely at the facial features, look at the chiseled face in the fashion model, look at the round face of the bride. look at the bones in the neck and upper chest look at the definition in the body...one is best as a clothes hanger, the other better to sell you cars, computers, whatever.  One looks approachable, the other is unapproachable.  The model you posted is approachable, cute, girl next door.  Look at photographers that do a lot of fashion, look at their books....Jason Christopher, Eric Striffler.. these guys are great at picking FASHION models

Jan 23 06 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

JeffM

Ketchum, Oklahoma, US

Ok.. I am now starting to see the difference in fashion models and commercial models.  Not only in height requirements but also in bone structure and attitude.  Is there anywhere I can go to really nail this down?
Thanks,
JeffM

Jan 26 06 11:06 pm Link

Makeup Artist

faithb

Washington, District of Columbia, US

ANTM doesn't give anyone the courtesy of a reply unless they want them.  Thousands of girls apply.  They don't have time to tell each of them what's wrong with them and what they should do with their modeling careers.

Jan 26 06 11:10 pm Link

Model

Rachel DellaPorte

Montgomery, New York, US

Terry Breedlove wrote:
I have no idea why they pick the girls they do. I sometimes wonder if it is about making good TV more than good fashion models.

Yep... smile

Jan 27 06 06:24 am Link