Forums > General Industry > Two Faced Commenters?

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I am wondering if I am the only who who has noticed a model getting really cool comments from photographers on their photographs, yet when the photographer who took the shots puts the very same shots up for critique, he is all but ripped to shreds?

Jan 20 06 09:38 pm Link

Model

Sara Beth

New York, New York, US

not as of yet...but I have seen photographers take images that everyone loves in the model's page and not get many comments on theirs...or even better, they don't put the models images on their page. in a paid shoot (model pays photog), maybe if the photog really didn't like the images, i could see that...but in tfp shoots too! i dunno, it's happened to me where i had a shoot and everyone likes the images it seems, but the photog. but that's pretty much a different subject smile

Jan 20 06 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

I saw it a few days ago. He posted some shots for critique and a few photographers really went after him and about how bad the shots looked. Yet those same photographers left things like" great photograph" and such on the same shots in the models portfolio.

Jan 20 06 09:46 pm Link

Model

Inferi

Eagan, Minnesota, US

Sara Beth wrote:
not as of yet...but I have seen photographers take images that everyone loves in the model's page and not get many comments on theirs...or even better, they don't put the models images on their page. in a paid shoot (model pays photog), maybe if the photog really didn't like the images, i could see that...but in tfp shoots too! i dunno, it's happened to me where i had a shoot and everyone likes the images it seems, but the photog. but that's pretty much a different subject smile

I know what you mean.  There is one person I have worked with that I havr gotten some good images from, but he never puts any of them on his profile.  I think he doesn't want people to think he does any alternate stuff.

Jan 20 06 09:48 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

I've seen it happen before. Then again, you know my dilemma. That reminds me...I sent an e-mail back to one of the photographers that just must have lost interest...I wonder if I will hear anything back. Sometimes, I like the fact that we can tell when a message is read, and sometimes I hate it...Okay, that was off-topic.

Anyhow, yes, I've seen where a model will get a comment of "That's beautiful" or something to the same que, and the photographer who took the shot will get a comment along the lines of how he did a horrible job, or how the model was horrible...from the same person that posted nice things for the model's shot...It amazes me at times how two-faced some people can be.

Jan 20 06 09:48 pm Link

Model

Inferi

Eagan, Minnesota, US

Rebecca Alsbury wrote:
I've seen it happen before. Then again, you know my dilemma. That reminds me...I sent an e-mail back to one of the photographers that just must have lost interest...I wonder if I will hear anything back. Sometimes, I like the fact that we can tell when a message is read, and sometimes I hate it...Okay, that was off-topic.

Anyhow, yes, I've seen where a model will get a comment of "That's beautiful" or something to the same que, and the photographer who took the shot will get a comment along the lines of how he did a horrible job, or how the model was horrible...from the same person that posted nice things for the model's shot...It amazes me at times how two-faced some people can be.

I've never seen that, but if I ever do, I won't work with that sort of person.  I hate fake people like that.

Jan 20 06 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Hmmm, there is something wrong with that concept!

Jan 20 06 09:52 pm Link

Model

elisaveta ♀

New York, New York, US

Rebecca Alsbury wrote:
It amazes me at times how two-faced some people can be.

Unfortunately!
♀

Jan 20 06 09:53 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

Sara Beth wrote:

I've had that happen. In fact, that has happened recently. I won't say who, because that is just plain obvious if you were to look at my photos and then go to their profile. I am wondering if maybe I wasn't good enough for them to show...What really gets me, is when a photographer will tell you that you are great to work with, that you have a good look, but yet they don't want to even put one little shot of you in their portfolio...ok. I'm done ranting...

Jan 20 06 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Gabriel

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
I saw it a few days ago. He posted some shots for critique and a few photographers really went after him and about how bad the shots looked. Yet those same photographers left things like" great photograph" and such on the same shots in the models portfolio.

LOL That's some funny stuff. That's why you won't see me in the Critique forum - I can take a beating (er, critique) like anyone else, but not if it's from someone whose opinion I don't trust. Or care for.

Some "photogs" on here are obviously on this site to try to hook up, so they'll always say nice things to the girls. Also, some people foolishly think that women can't take an honest, if somewhat brutal, critique, so they're nicer to them.

Me, when it comes to comments, if I don't have anything nice to say, then... click, click. Next portfolio.

Jan 20 06 09:54 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
Hmmm, there is something wrong with that concept!

It sucks, but I've seen it happen...only seen it once or twice, thankfully (not on mine...shockingly).

Jan 20 06 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I don't know, but I suspect different things are being critiqued when it comes to a model and a photographer. If a photo is just bad, badly composed or badly lit, there isn't a damn thing the model can do about it. But it's entirely possible for a photo to be crap and the model still looks good in the shot. Should the model be flamed for things which are out of her control? The photographer is the one looking through the viewfinder and the one with a finger on the shutter release.

I suspect many critique a model on how she does in the image and the photographer for what he/she did. They ain't the same!

Jan 20 06 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

fotocycle wrote:
LOL That's some funny stuff.[/qoute]

I don`t see two faceness as funny, hypocritical maybe but not funny smile
[qoute] That's why you won't see me in the Critique forum - I can take a beating (er, critique) like anyone else, but not if it's from someone whose opinion I don't trust. Or care for. [/qoute]I have noticed a lot of people posting artistic shots and seeking critiques from others who do art photography. But they get tons of "critiques" from fashion photographers who critique from a fashion photographers eye point of view rather than an artistic eye point of view(i.e. is this photograph something that would make it into ,say, vogue or cosmo or a major ad campaign).

Jan 20 06 10:02 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

That too can be true Doug. By the way...I didn't know you made it over to Oklahoma to work some...I used to live in good ole' OK. Been a while since I've seen ya around. Did I tell ya I'm moving out of the country soon?

Jan 20 06 10:02 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Well, aside from Rebeccas experience, i think it is reasonably possible for a model to get good coments on the quality of the look and the pose, while the photographer gets a low mark on the image qualities (and vise versa).  They are two different critiques.  There is also the issue of how the said image relates to other images in the photographer's or model's port. - is it an improvement over previous work? Can be a different answer depending on who your looking at.

* edit * I see that someone just said this while i was typing *sigh*

Jan 20 06 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

DFournier-Photography

Columbia, Maryland, US

Mr. Lester has a point me thinks.

Jan 20 06 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

A. H A M I L T O N

Coventry, England, United Kingdom

hehe, the agencies will sometimes put a picture they don't like in a girl's book because it was taken by a famous photographer, or someone who works extensively in their market.

The whole concept of playing to someone's ego to get something you want isn't new, and it's been going on so long I'm not sure it's even tacky by most people's standards.

Also, it's fairly much as safe assumption that people judge different things between a model and a photographer.  Photograpers actually have it easier when it comes to getting constructive reviews, where models usually only get "That photographer you shot with sucks, but you're pretty", or just "you're pretty."

I realize you're saying that the comments are misleading because they say "nice picture", but ultimately people are looking at the model in a picture on the models port, and technicalities in pictures on a photographer's port.

Andy

Sorry Doug, somehow I read this and missed your post. =/  I think the gremlins got it.  I paraphrase here at the bottom and say "I agree with Doug!"

Jan 20 06 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Gabriel

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

fotocycle wrote:
LOL That's some funny stuff.[/qoute]

I don`t see two faceness as funny, hypocritical maybe but not funny smile
[/qoute]

You're right, and it's really not, but I'm a keen observer of human nature - i.e., a cynical, jaded bastard smile - and I've learned to just sneer at people like that and move on.

Jan 20 06 10:12 pm Link

Model

Crap-oeira Modela Troll

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

i think when photographers do that to the models, they know other people will see that tag (saying good work)and go to their page. thats the whole purpose of photographers doing that. just to get other people to go to their page.(not all photographers) so maybe they can get money from the model if they think their work is better than the photographer who did the jacked up work. u understand me when i say that?

Jan 20 06 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Niamodel wrote:
i think when photographers do that to the models, they know other people will see that tag (saying good work)and go to their page. thats the whole purpose of photographers doing that. just to get other people to go to their page.(not all photographers) so maybe they can get money from the model if they think their work is better than the photographer who did the jacked up work. u understand me when i say that?

I might if I read it enough smile

Jan 20 06 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

Key

Long Beach, California, US

It's the internet. Does anyone's opinion REALLY matter?

Jan 20 06 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

The first rule of Model Mayhem:

"Thou shalt kiss female model arse."

I've seen glowing comments left on some damn awful shots in model profiles.  The sexier/prettier the girl, the more positive and gushing the comments.  If the photographer posted the same shot, he/she would be crucified. 

Reminds me of high school politics.

Jan 20 06 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

I think Lester is right.  Any halfway decent photographer should be able to see past a crappy photo and see what a model looks like.  So I can imagine critiquing the model's photograph and comment that she has great bone structure or amazing hair or something and then critique the same photograph on the photographer's portfolio and slam him because the light is bad and everything is out of focus.  Of course, if a photo is too bad, then you can't really tell what the model looks like.

Jan 20 06 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
I am wondering if I am the only who who has noticed a model getting really cool comments from photographers on their photographs, yet when the photographer who took the shots puts the very same shots up for critique, he is all but ripped to shreds?

I gotta agree with you on this one -  I've seen it too.

Jan 20 06 10:32 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

William Kious wrote:
The first rule of Model Mayhem:

"Thou shalt kiss female model arse."

I've seen glowing comments left on some damn awful shots in model profiles.  The sexier/prettier the girl, the more positive and gushing the comments.  If the photographer posted the same shot, he/she would be crucified. 

Reminds me of high school politics.

Maybe that's why I hated high school so much...lol. That, or the fact that I was the skinny little redhead (yes, I WAS once skinny...hehe)

If anyone wants to kiss my arse, go right ahead...there is plenty to go around!

Jan 20 06 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Here are two possibilities...

A.)  It's because everyone wants to sleep with the model and no one wants to sleep with the photographer.

B.)  It's because everyone knows the photographer can take the criticism but they think the model might go berserk and go on a murder/suicide rampage.

-Dave

Jan 20 06 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Dave Krueger wrote:
Here are two possibilities...

A.)  It's because everyone wants to sleep with the model and no one wants to sleep with the photographer.

B.)  It's because everyone knows the photographer can take the criticism but they think the model might go berserk and go on a murder/suicide rampage.

-Dave

Also the fact that photographers are creatives, and creatives are zealots.  I will admit that when I see a beautiful model that has been shot well the first thought that comes into my head is "I'd really like a shot at that - I could really come up with some awesome images!!!!"  This is something alot of folks forget about with photographers - creative passion - in some cases to the point of obsession...

Jan 20 06 10:40 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

T.Alexander

Norcross, Georgia, US

For those who comment on photogs not putting images they took of you on their pages...

I think its all dependent upon personal taste. Just because you the model as the consumer is satisfied with the work produced, doesn't mean everyone else involved will be just as happy. I know as a stylist that I have been asked several times why I didnt post a certain image...well like you we have the freedom of choice. You are suppose to post the images that you feel best reflect your work. Just because you pay me doesn't mean I have to like what I did for you personally. If my clients are happy, then I'm happy for them. Your best work may not be the best work of the crew that is involved.

And PLEASE...PLEASE don't ask people why they didn't post your images...its rude. Dont be offended, its all for business purposes.

Jan 20 06 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

fotocycle wrote:
That's why you won't see me in the Critique forum

Me either.

fotocycle wrote:
I can take a beating (er, critique) like anyone else...

Not me.  I hate 'em.  And I don't need more stuff to whine about.  I'm having trouble keeping up as it is.

fotocycle wrote:
...but not if it's from someone whose opinion I don't trust. Or care for.

Yeah.  Especially that.  I don't want no stinkin' weekend skirt chaser who takes girls out to the park to squint under direct sunlight in awkward poses in exchange for promises of llamaing stardom to tell me how to improve my pictures.

Wow!  I feel better now that I got that off my chest.  Thanks.  Where do I send the check?

Jan 20 06 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Are there not different criteria for judging a shot for the model and judging the shot for the photographer?

Jan 20 06 10:45 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

I have seen it.  That's because whose ego would you rather stroke a hot female model or a photographer's?  Most ppl have weird intentions when they post comments....weeeiiirrrrddd....LOL....but what do I know I'm way too jaded.  But I'm not going to lie I enjoy the compliments either way.  Hahhaha.

Jan 20 06 10:49 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

fotocycle wrote:
...but not if it's from someone whose opinion I don't trust. Or care for.

Yeah.  Especially that.  I don't want no stinkin' weekend skirt chaser who takes girls out to the park to squint under direct sunlight in awkward poses in exchange for promises of modeling stardom to tell me how to improve my pictures.

Wow, and I thought I was the only one that happened to at times...I know I'm not the best, thinnest, prettiest model, but I hate when people whose portfolio is worse than mine, offer crappy advice on how to improve my work. I know when my work sucks. I don't feel I need anyone else's opinion on that...I think that is why I don't post in the critique forum anymore.

My only hope is that one day, I may be one of those models with great images that pop out at the viewer. My theory on modeling is that I am here to be the artist's muse...whether the artist is a photographer, stylist, or even a sculptor, it doesn't matter.

Jan 20 06 10:50 pm Link

Model

Barbray

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Sara Beth wrote:

Photographers rotate photos in and out more often than models do. The photographer may PERSONALLY have liked his shoot with you and the pictures y'all achieved, BUT his demographics, target market, and/or clientele may not need or want them.

Just remember Sara, online portfolios are first and foremost a business and promo
electronic calling card for photographers online.  What they LIKE and what they PREFER has nothing to do with it. It's ALL ABOUT the client or potential client.  wink

Jan 20 06 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Rebecca Alsbury wrote:
Yeah.  Especially that.  I don't want no stinkin' weekend skirt chaser who takes girls out to the park to squint under direct sunlight in awkward poses

She`s asian dammit! oh,wait,,,,,,,never mind -sits back down-

Jan 20 06 10:54 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

Wow...this is way off-topic, but I just read your profile Dave...I almost peed my pants laughing! I've never seen a photographer say that about himself!

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Well, there is another reason for the apparent double standard.

When I compliment a model on a shot, a lot of the time I'm really complimenting the photographer because the shot was good enough to attract my attention and hold it and I can easily identify with the creative process that led to the composition of the image.  When you think about it, that's a little dishonest to the model, but good work deserves a compliment and I don't think the model suffers over it (I rarely comment on a picture I don't like).

But, there are also times when I feel the model put more into a picture than the photographer.  That can be true in terms of expression, dynamics, makeup, hair, outfits, or just plain looks.  In other words, when you compliment a model, you may very well be saying something entirely different than when you're critiquing the photographic aspects of an image.

Just a thought.

-Dave

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

I have quite a few images of MM models on my port, as they are just about all the models that are invited to our shoots... quite a few comments too... guess I'm lucky... wink

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

She`s asian dammit! oh,wait,,,,,,,never mind -sits back down-

lol...what the ? I should post one of my older shots from a photo shoot I did in Texas back in 2000. I was one of those models in the park with the squinty eyes. The photographer claimed he wanted to point me that way for the natural available light. I guess he didn't know that it works better if you shoot at certain times of the day, and not noon! We live and learn...

Jan 20 06 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Rebecca Alsbury wrote:
Wow...this is way off-topic, but I just read your profile Dave...I almost peed my pants laughing! I've never seen a photographer say that about himself!

It's a ploy to make my portfolio look better.  After reading the profile, there's no where to go but up.  :-) 

-Dave

Jan 20 06 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Rebecca Alsbury wrote:

lol...what the ? I should post one of my older shots from a photo shoot I did in Texas back in 2000. I was one of those models in the park with the squinty eyes. The photographer claimed he wanted to point me that way for the natural available light. I guess he didn't know that it works better if you shoot at certain times of the day, and not noon! We live and learn...

There is a photo in my portfolio of an asian/black girl. It was shot in bright day light and she is asian. It makes her look like she is squinting a lot more than she really was.

Jan 20 06 11:05 pm Link