Forums > General Industry > Carding Models

Photographer

Stephen Delas Heras

New York, New York, US

If you are a photographer doing a solo shoot with a young model, does it make sense to ask them for ID first?

It's difficult to tell people's age, and who knows if they are telling the truth if they say they are 18+.

Even for clothed portraits it could be unfortunate to discover later that the model was underage, as it would probably invalidate the model release. Not to mention just being alone with someone who is changing in and out of clothes.

Models would you be offended if a photographer asked you for ID first?

Jan 20 06 12:17 am Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

Ask for it. Even better is to have them give you a photocopy. Be sure to match the copy against the original.

Jan 20 06 12:18 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I always ask to see ID and I photograph the ID right next to the face.  Don't even need a paper copy if it's on film (or pixels or whatever).

-Don

Jan 20 06 12:26 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Stephen de las Heras wrote:
Even for clothed portraits it could be unfortunate to discover later that the model was underage, as it would probably invalidate the model release.

Oh my!

Jan 20 06 12:32 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
I always ask to see ID and I photograph the ID right next to the face.  Don't even need a paper copy if it's on film (or pixels or whatever).

-Don

exactly what I do. I go so far as to get a shot showing the state stamp hologram if I can. I may even start going so far as to get a small hand held black light wand, fake IDs reflect differently under black light than authentic ones. Some stores use them for that as well as telling counterfiet money from real.

Jan 20 06 12:35 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

-Don

Ditto, photo of them holding it next to their face while holding the signed model release in the other hand.

Jan 20 06 12:39 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
I may even start going so far as to get a small hand held black light wand, fake IDs reflect differently under black light than authentic ones.

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you
--unknown

Jan 20 06 12:40 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

If you are a photographer doing a solo shoot with a young model, does it make sense to ask them for ID first?

Only if you're not an idiot.

I don't mind when i'm asked for ID first. In fact, I'm a little disturbed by photographers that don't ask for it.  I often tell them after the shoot that I'm really 12.

Jan 20 06 01:16 am Link

Photographer

Paul Pruitt

Wilmington, Delaware, US

I do the same.  I have a small all in one fax/copier/printer in the studio....so I do a couple of things.  I get the ID upfront, take a photo of it on the table (at an angle so there is no backflash) then I have the model hold the same ID to their cheek so I snap another photo....then I take the id and put it on the copy machine and attach it to the model release paper....this way no matter what I have it documented no matter how the laws might change down the line.

When I do a private one on one shoot I also document the session by allowing a video camer run in the background.  I don't want a model to later on come out trying to stay that I did anything unethical, so it is more of a cover my ass video.  I do not have the model sign a release for it because I am not doing anything with it except storing it for my own personal safety of documenting the shoot went professionally.  Now if someone else comes along and/or I have a stylist, mua, etc...then I don't bother.   Of course I get the models permission prior to doing all of this.

I think it re-inforces your professional standards.

Jan 20 06 01:24 am Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

-Don

I do the same thing. So easy it almost isn't fair.

I had a photographer acquaintance who wanted to use my studio. One of my requirements was that he card the model and copy it (either xerox or photo). He was intimidated and didn't want to ask for ID. I told him it was non-negotiable. He couldn't get past his shyness. I didn't let him use my studio.

Jan 20 06 01:25 am Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

Your kidding right? The absolute inflexible rule for me is ID before ANY shoot; that was drummed into me over 20yrs ago as an assistant. I have photocopies of 2 forms of ID going back to my 1st studio shoot. I'm one of the guys who didn't have to do the ID samba when 2257  struck, my ducks were all in a row from day one.

Paul

Jan 20 06 02:26 am Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

Ditto, photo of them holding it next to their face while holding the signed model release in the other hand.

Yep - a solid plan.  I have real difficulty telling age at this point - must be something in the food chain causing young women to physically mature sooner than before.

Jan 20 06 07:11 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

ID is a requirement with me.
No ifs, ands or buts.

Jan 20 06 07:41 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

Any model that works for me has to provide a copy of valid identification that conforms to USC 2257, the code that indicate who can do adult photographic work and who can't.  If the model can't provide it, then she doesn't work.  What the code requires is a valid photo identification issued by a state, federal, or foreign government agency that shows a picture of the model as well as their date of birth and another identifying characteristic, such as the drivers license number, passport number, etc.

I take a copy and file these.  I have a directory of the IDs on my PC and I burn a copy of it to CD at least once a month...

For every model you work with who is over 18, you should have this in case someone shows up with a subpoena.  If the model is under 18, you should have a photo of the ID of the parent or guardian who showed up with the model on file.

Jan 20 06 07:47 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

I get a copy of their ID for anything that even hints at sexy or nude.  If they look like they could possibly be underage I would get a copy of their ID regardless of the content.  If you have them sign a release so you can use the pictures, they better be old enough for the contract to be bindig.

-Dave

Jan 20 06 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Jack North

Benicia, California, US

Besides the age issue, you should also check to make sure the name being written on any releases matches the name on their id. I often offer to show my ID as well.

Jan 20 06 07:51 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Moraxian wrote:
...or foreign government agency that shows a picture of the model as well as their date of birth and another identifying characteristic, such as the drivers license number, passport number, etc..

A word of caution here. The recently revamped rules on 2256/7 that appear in 28 CFR Part 71 deal specifically with FOREIGN ID for the purposes of 2256/7. One form of ID MUST BE a US issued picture ID.

Those rules, for 2256/7 purposes, require US ID and only US ID unless both the producer and the talent are located OUTSIDE the US.

Generally, if you could comply with the I-9 form requirements [employer's verification of a job applicant's right to work in the United States] you are good to go. If you can't then the talent is NOT authorised to be working inside the US in the first place. Having foreign ID - only - in your records would be a 2257 recordkeeping violation as things now stand.

There are lists of forms/types of ID acceptable for I-9 purposes here (see the I-9 form itself).

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-9.htm

Studio36

Jan 20 06 08:20 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

The extremes in which photographers go to for age verification is indicative to the type of shooting they do.

I see tighter guidelines and thoroughness with the nude and fetish photographers and less with the fashion and life style shooters.

Which I believe should be the case.

Your ass will be hung out to dry and flambéed in less than 2 shakes of a cats tail if your caught shooting nudes underage.

But if your shooting fashion, editorial or lifestyle then you've got allot less to worry about (not 100% though).

Nevertheless, a signed release and picture of the model holding her ID is a photographers best friend and a defense attorney’s best weapon no matter what type of shoot you're doing.

Jan 20 06 08:43 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I worry about proof of age, but only when age is an issue.

I shoot teens when it is appropriate to shoot teens.  The issue of age for a teen is their ability to sign a release (for a teen appropriate shoot).  Having the parent present solves the problem.

If I do nudes, then there has to be ID or we don't do the shoot.

Jan 20 06 09:06 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

Moraxian wrote:
...or foreign government agency that shows a picture of the model as well as their date of birth and another identifying characteristic, such as the drivers license number, passport number, etc..

studio36uk wrote:
A word of caution here. The recently revamped rules on 2256/7 that appear in 28 CFR Part 71 deal specifically with FOREIGN ID for the purposes of 2256/7. One form of ID MUST BE a US issued picture ID.

Those rules, for 2256/7 purposes, require US ID and only US ID unless both the producer and the talent are located OUTSIDE the US.

Generally, if you could comply with the I-9 form requirements [employer's verification of a job applicant's right to work in the United States] you are good to go. If you can't then the talent is NOT authorised to be working inside the US in the first place. Having foreign ID - only - in your records would be a 2257 recordkeeping violation as things now stand.

There are lists of forms/types of ID acceptable for I-9 purposes here (see the I-9 form itself).

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-9.htm

Studio36

True, but a foreign passport is valid for terms of identification and proof of age.

The other picture ID for foreign nationals is to show that it is legal for the person to work in the USA.  I don't have that issue with the models I have worked with since the new laws went into effect (back in June) since all of them are US citizens.

Jan 20 06 09:07 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I also shoot in Europe.  Then I use whatever government ID the model has.  I will comply with U.S. age laws, but am not going to limit myself to photographing models who have passports or U.S. IDs when working in Germany, for example.  That's plain silly.

-Don

Jan 20 06 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Delas Heras

New York, New York, US

Thanks for the advice guys! It seems like I am a bit naive about these things. But I'm sure there are plenty of other amateurish photographers out there who don't have a clue about this stuff either. Right...?

It hasn't been an issue for me in the past because I've always known my models personally. But I do have a shoot planned for tomorrow with a young model I know very little about. I'll be sure to snap her holding her ID.

I have to say that it's nice to have someplace to turn with these kind of questions. I feel like a whole new age of book-keeping and professionalism is about to start for me. Carding, model releases, shooting raw files. There's a lot of little tips to be gleaned from these boards. I feel like a better photographer already.

Jan 20 06 09:27 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
I also shoot in Europe.... but I am not going to limit myself to photographing models who have passports or U.S. IDs when working in Germany, for example.  That's plain silly.

-Don

You don't have to as long as you, the actual physical production location and the model are all outside the US at the time.

That seems to be quite OK under the rules even though you are factually and ordinarily a US based producer.

The ONLY issue I have not seen clarified, at least to my satisfaction, is whether or not you might need foreign language [any other than English language e.g. UK or Canadian] documentation [not limited to ID but also such as model releases] to also have an "official" translation to English so the feds could read it in English should they ever want to look at it. That's been discussed around the adult business community but the regulations in 28 CFR don't address the question.

Studio36

Jan 20 06 09:51 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Moraxian wrote:
True, but a foreign passport is valid for terms of identification and proof of age.

The other picture ID for foreign nationals is to show that it is legal for the person to work in the USA.  I don't have that issue with the models I have worked with since the new laws went into effect (back in June) since all of them are US citizens.

Correct as long as [any] ONE of the documents of record is apparently genuine, is a photo ID with the other required information [name and DoB,] and otherwise acceptable for the purpose, and is issued by the US or a state government agency.

If you follow the documentation guide for general employment in the I-9 form you can't go far wrong about how you are checking ID.

Studio36

Jan 20 06 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

area291 wrote:
--unknown

The two major cities I am near have lots of girls with fake IDs because of the really cool clubs and such.I have heard enough from other photographers locally about so many fake IDs so I think it is more smart than paranoid.

AND considering the new 2257 laws make it so that you AND the model can be charged with a felony if the records are not kept correctly, I think as much precaution you can take as possible is a smart thing to do.

Jan 20 06 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Paul Ward

New York, New York, US

I keep ID copies of all the models I shoot with a copy of the signed model release.  It's better to keep yourself covered.  No ID/release = no shoot.

Jan 20 06 12:12 pm Link

Model

Crazy Cel

Miami, Florida, US

I've been asked for ID before. I don't see it as a problem, everyone is just trying to cover their arse. It's just like when you go to the movies (I still get asked for ID @ R-rated) or to buy alcohol. It makes sense.

Jan 20 06 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

theda wrote:
I often tell them after the shoot that I'm really 12.

I hate that!  Especially after the post-shoot coitus.

Jan 20 06 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

I photocopy the models ID onto my release, very simple. If a copier isn't handy I photograph it.

Jan 20 06 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

theda wrote:
I often tell them after the shoot that I'm really 12.

That`s not even funny.
One of the first adult oriented shoots I ever did, which was a for hire shoot I did for an adult site that hired me, we(there was me and some of the people from the site) were doing a shoot with a girl who was 19 and she looked really young which is what the clients wanted. The site was not an explicit site really, but enough to be considered adult oriented.
After the shoot with a dead serious look in her eyes she said something to the effect of" ok guys this has all been done as part of an fbi sting,you are all about to be arrested, I am 1. I had an ID made by them so it would look authentic".

Have you ever seen a simultaneous mass pants pissing before?

Jan 20 06 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
Have you ever seen a simultaneous mass pants pissing before?

no... water sports is not my kink.

Jan 20 06 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Ian Weintraub wrote:

no... water sports is not my kink.

lol,well it didnt happen but there was dead silence and jaw dropping and raised heart beats and sweaty browse until she smiled. she was black balled after that.

Jan 20 06 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

lol,well it didnt happen but there was dead silence and jaw dropping and raised heart beats and sweaty browse until she smiled. she was black balled after that.

No doubt!  and therefore, always card!  it's best to be safe and CYA.

Jan 20 06 02:20 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Ian Weintraub wrote:

I hate that!  Especially after the post-shoot coitus.

Well, you'll card before oitus from now on!

And, yes, it is funny.

Jan 20 06 03:42 pm Link

Model

Inferi

Eagan, Minnesota, US

area291 wrote:

--unknown

Exactly.

Jan 20 06 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

theda wrote:

Well, you'll card before oitus from now on!

And, yes, it is funny.

C-oy vey-tus!

Jan 20 06 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

ABSOLUTELY!!!!

As well I snap a digital picture of the id clearly... then I have model hold same next to face and snap her with it as well.

When I have an important document.. ie a contract... I also snap them SIGNING or holding the signed copy.

This lesson was learned from John Rutter and the "fake" Cameron Diaz release.  Court and jail are easily avoided with the simplistic above steps!!!

Jan 21 06 12:03 am Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

Wow... THAT is a bit creepy!  Be sure to let me know if you plan to shoot any of my friends.....

pmgames wrote:
.........private one on one shoot I also document the session by allowing a video camera to run in the background..........

Jan 21 06 12:06 am Link

Model

Steph M Anie

Harrison Township, Michigan, US

I think I look rather young. The only shoot I've ever been carded on was the very first one I ever did. Granted, I'm 21 years old and started modeling a little over a year ago but still!!!! I'd rather I was asked for my ID. It almosts scares me when I'm not asked... I don't know why but for some reason when I'm not asked I feel old and when I am asked I feel young but then think well when I'm 30 and this is still happening I'll be happy!!! tongue

Jan 21 06 02:51 am Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

exactly what I do. I go so far as to get a shot showing the state stamp hologram if I can. I may even start going so far as to get a small hand held black light wand, fake IDs reflect differently under black light than authentic ones. Some stores use them for that as well as telling counterfiet money from real.

Come to NYC, I can take you to many places in Times Square that has Fake ID's that look real as hell!  They have the magnetic strip, come in plastic, and even have holograms!!!  Only costs $50.00!!!

Jan 21 06 03:44 am Link