Forums > General Industry > what makes a good makeup artist?

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I've been working with a makeup artist recently, which is something I've never done before.  I've been pleased with her work because she is fun, attentive, hardworking, and pulls off both very natural and very funky looks well (in my opinion).  But recently I've been getting some criticism on 2 different shoots saying the photo is great, but the makeup is horrible (actually, people are rude enough to say the artist should be fired or shot.)  I thought the makeup was pretty good, fun, well applied, and appropriate for the shoot.  However, I suppose I'm willing to admit that while I liked the makeup a lot, maybe I don't actually know enough about makeup to know if it's really any good.  What makes a good makeup artist as opposed to a bad one?

Jan 17 06 10:29 am Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

Which shots are they talking about?

Jan 17 06 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Jan 17 06 10:54 am Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

I think the main problem is with the first one.  And, it doesn't have to do with the makeup itself as much as with the fact that the colors don't flatter the model's skin tone.  The concept and look that y'all were going for is great, but the colors just aren't right.  Don't fire/shoot the makeup artist, everybody has an off day.  I'd say, reschedule the shoot and try again.

Jan 17 06 11:02 am Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

Eyes and lips shouldn't both be so strong they compete with each other.
Looks a little heavy-handed to me, also. Agree it could be blended more too.... its all about the blending and avoiding hard edges.

ie
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic … bebc704b16
Strong lips, virtually nothing on the eyes....

Jan 17 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

gexcel

Los Angeles, California, US

They seem a bit too harsh.... It's not bad..

Jan 17 06 11:06 am Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

I don't see a problem with the makeup in the first pic. I just think it's combining funky makeup and a high school portrait. Maybe if the surroundings, and your pose were different everything would click more.

The second image is very nice...Great styling and everything. The third picture doesn't do it for me, but it doesn't look like you have makeup on at all. I guess that's a good thing.

Jan 17 06 11:10 am Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

Eric S. wrote:
Eyes and lips shouldn't both be so strong they compete with each other.
Looks a little heavy-handed to me.

ie
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic … bebc704b16
Strong lips, virtually nothing on the eyes....

Good call! smile  Great example of a fabulous makeup job.

Jan 17 06 11:17 am Link

Model

Alisha Endre

Every makeup artist should KNOW the color wheel. they should KNOW what colors compliment other colors, and they should be able to identify the undertones of the model's skin.

I think those colors are okay. except the blue which is too cool for her skin tone it should have been toned down a bit with a violet. She has ivory skin with a peach undertone and the oranges and reds look okay.

anywhoooo. another mistake makeup artist make (and some of the one's who've done MY makeup have done it) is not blending. I think the blending is a little sub par.

and like stated before... the lips are too deep and the color is not complimentary to the eye shadows she used.... the eyes and lips should NEVER compete.  unless the entire face is supposed to be dramatic. that would entail heavy liner, eyelashes, etc. drama! none of which I think are here.

Over all I don't think the makeup artist is bad. Because doing makeup for a photo shoot is NOT easy. 

But that's why Im pursuing my MUA lisence. So I'll know. lol.

Jan 17 06 11:30 am Link

Makeup Artist

CottonRouge-KatieCotton

Greenville, South Carolina, US

Here's my professional opinion....

The makeup isnt horrible enough to warrant the death of the makeup artist.  I agree - eyes and lips should never compete.  The makeup in the 2nd is heavy but it doesnt bother me because the model's outfit seems a bit gothic to me.  In fact, i think this shot works best out of the 3.  The pieces (i.e. makeup, hair, model, wardrobe, pose, etc) all work towards the same goal of an edgy vibe. 

The 3rd shot isnt terrible either though it doesnt flow as well.  yes both eyes and lips are not dark, but her eyes are smoky while her lips are baby pink and glossy.  A nude gloss perhaps with a little less shine would have been my call but one artists call on something like this always varies from another.  The overall application of this makeup seems fine.  her skin is smooth and not splotchy and she isnt shiny - 2 keys to a poor makeup artist.

Now, i'll be a little more critical.  I do not care for the first shot at all.  I agree that the makeup and the model dont flow together nor does the pose and lighting for the makeup shot.  It is a little too high fashion of a makeup idea for this someone posed portrait shot.  But here's what i really dont like... the blending of the makeup pretty much isnt there.  This to me is one of THE most important factors of a makeup artists job.  I dont particularly care for the color choices, but if it was blended better i think it wouldnt bother me, or a lot of people as much.  The color blocks are also a little splotchy.  The purple is darker in some sections of the purple than in others for example.  So my advice for the makeup artist would just be sure to lay a good base down over the lid before applying color so the color wouldnt stick to some spots more than others and then just be sure to layer and blend until all the eye colors flow together. 

So thats my 2 cents... those criticizing the makeup may want to try it for themselves first because it is a talent and it does take practice, time, good products and knowledge.  Just not lest ye be judged folks.  And Katie is right, every artist is allowed to have an off day.

Jan 17 06 11:33 am Link

Makeup Artist

Linda Koch-Kious

Antwerp, Ohio, US

I am new to doing makeup for a photo shoots, most of what I know I picked up from starting out as a Mary Kay consultant.  Also I have years of experience at being an all around artist.  I do agree that the colors should have been blended a bit more in the first photo.  I think one reason why the makeup stands out more in the first picture is not only the colors but the angle of your face.  The darker makeup and down look work better for you.  Working with my husband (a photographer) we have not found to many people that look good at that camera angle.  Even though we are both new to the photo buisness we have years of experience in the art field which gives us a natural eye at what works and what doesn't. A natural talent for makeup and other arts does help a great deal.

Jan 17 06 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I have that problem sometimes too, Amanda.  Thank you for posting this!

Jan 17 06 12:17 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Amanda Schlicher wrote:
http://img1.modelmayhem.com/060116/10/43cbcc3d17b33.jpg

https://img1.modelmayhem.com/051231/11/ … 0df94e.jpg

this shot is by the same makeup artist at the same shoot at the first picture

https://img1.modelmayhem.com/060116/17/ … 06a2b2.jpg

IMO the first one is bad the other two are good.

Jan 17 06 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

The first shot was an experiment with color temperature, which is why it all looks so blue.  the colors were chosen by the artist to match the outfit pictured here, which I think was accomplished very well.  This is not a great shot of the outfit, but I'm still editing the shoot.  We shot the hair/makeup/outfit with several different backgrounds and lighting schemes, it's likely these are not the best shots from the shoot at all.

https://img1.modelmayhem.com/060116/10/ … 5cc30d.jpg

Jan 17 06 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Why does everyone seem to think I'm the model?

Jan 17 06 05:07 pm Link

Model

Inferi

Eagan, Minnesota, US

Okay.  Here are the things that stand out to me.  the first picture doesn't work at all.  The eye and the lip colors clash very badly, and due to the colors she chose for the eyes, the lips look WAY too dark.  The lips seem too dark for her skintone, but i think she could have pulled even that off if she had gone with a different color for the eyes.

The second one is alright to me, although the lashes look rather chunky in an otherwise sleek and seductive dort of pose.  If you are going for the dark, almost sultry look, chunky lashes are not the way to go, in my opinion.

The third one, there is just something off about the lip color.  I don't think it matches with the model very well, or with what she is wearing.  It just doesn't seem to flow with the picture.

Jan 17 06 05:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

the makeup on all of these shots is terrible, thats my professional opinion and I'm not even going to get into the mistakes made on these, it would be easier to point out what was done correctly, I just cant find anything.  I dont think you should kill the artist but paying her for future work should be out of the question.

Jan 17 06 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

What (in general) makes a good make-up artist? This has been discussed before but it's an important topic so here I go again with my schpiel, from a photographer's standpoint:

First, technical skill, both with natural looks (very important) as well as with more conceptual/edgy/arty beauty or creative concept looks. A fertile imagination. Speed (we're all waiting on you) tempered by a sense of perfectionism and pride. Being a team player. And, screamingly important and yet often overlooked, you've got to be positive and personable. On many shoots you spend more time with the model than anybody else does. Enthusiasm and energy are infectious, and if your attitude is great, you've just made my job that much easier because the model will likewise be that much more positive and energetic. And, sadly, the converse is also true, maybe even more so, and no amount of skill, creativity, or reliability can compensate for the negativity and energy drain that a bad-attitude make-up artist brings. I don't allow them on my set, ever.

Not sure if that's what you were looking for but those are the main points as far as I see it.

Jan 17 06 08:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

K E O

Houston, Texas, US

...Agreed that they eyes and mouth are saying too much in the first photo. The bright with dark lips just is not working. The lines are too harsh, the lip is too dark for the tone of the photo. Straight up: The MUA just does not seem to know her stuff. Do some testing with other MUA's in your area and compare.

Jan 17 06 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I don't like rules, don't wear white after labor day, sunny 16, etc etc but they exist for a reason, even if you're gonna break 'em at least know them. Know why you're breaking them. I'm critiquing the 1st photo, I think that if she (the artist) was going to have a strong color scheme for the eyes, she should have gone much softer on the lips. My opinion. And blending is huge. Doesn't matter what look you're going for.

Jan 17 06 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

double-post

Jan 17 06 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Mary wrote:
the makeup on all of these shots is terrible, thats my professional opinion and I'm not even going to get into the mistakes made on these, it would be easier to point out what was done correctly, I just cant find anything.  I dont think you should kill the artist but paying her for future work should be out of the question.

I have never and will likely never pay a makeup artist (unless I require one for a specific personal project).  Most of what I do is for model portfolios, so the model is in charge of hiring or otherwise compensating the makeup artist.

Also, your comment was kind of stupid and pointless.  You answered my question by stating that you refuse to answer the question.  There's nothing constructive about that.

Jan 17 06 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

In my view, if you have to ask then it means you have never seen quality, professional make-up.

In LA-LA land, we have thousands of people calling themselves make-up artists.  Only a few of them work for the film studios or on the better print productions.  There is a reason, they aren't good enough.

Pick up Vogue and look at the make-up and then check out your samples.  Pick up a copy of Cosmo and do the same.  Even Playboy is a good example.

Just like photographers there are different levels of make-up artistry.  There is no substitute.  In nearly all cases, shots will look markedly better with professional make-up (unless that is not the look you want).

The make-up in your photos looks like they were done by someone with training but a lack of experience.  That doesn't mean they should be hung.  It means they should work on getting better.

Jan 17 06 09:15 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

I would say Im not into the makeup eigther.

However I do have a different approach on how it should be dealt with.

Given your location I think it would be safe to assume there isnt a wealth of MUA availabe.
So you also mention that you like this person too.

I would say that instead of giving her the boot you can in a way help her, especially if you feel she is sincere and wanting to grow.

I will give you an example...

For 3 years I lived on Maui. There were no fashion photographers there and frankly I didnt care for anyones work.
So I found one that showed promise and was sincerly willing to challenge himself and grow.
I clipped a magazine ad and said " I want this lighting, this angle, warmer, cooler, background, yadda yadda"
He took it on as a challenge for himself and indeed took his photography up a couple of notches. He grew. Not cause of me, but he did things he woulnt have initially thought of doing and learned from it.

So what I would say is, for your shoots play art director. Show her clippings- narrow it down to one per look and say you want the makeup exactly like that.
You will get more of what you are looking for.

If blending is the problem make sure you draw it to her attention.

If non of that works then you can drop her like a log! just kidding!

This is of course if you think she is worth the effort.
She may grow and become a really good artist thanks to you.

Jan 17 06 09:25 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Amanda Schlicher wrote:

I have never and will likely never pay a makeup artist (unless I require one for a specific personal project).  Most of what I do is for model portfolios, so the model is in charge of hiring or otherwise compensating the makeup artist.

Also, your comment was kind of stupid and pointless.  You answered my question by stating that you refuse to answer the question.  There's nothing constructive about that.

You asked.  I did answer your question, the makeup was really bad, nothing right about it.  How more clear can I be? 

You said you would never pay a makeup artist....it shows in the work you were provided.  I wouldnt complain about a product I'm not paying for.

It also is a bit of a concern that you can't see this is bad makeup, the photographers I work with would take one look at this and refuse to shoot it.  It's the photographers job to see the detail, they are always responsible for the final result of any photo, thats why they make the big bucks.  Sorry if that sounds harsh, I really don't want to get into a pissing match over makeup but you asked...dont ask if you dont want opinions of others.

Jan 17 06 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Mary wrote:
You asked.  I did answer your question, the makeup was really bad, nothing right about it.  How more clear can I be? 

You said you would never pay a makeup artist....it shows in the work you were provided.  I wouldnt complain about a product I'm not paying for.

It also is a bit of a concern that you can't see this is bad makeup, the photographers I work with would take one look at this and refuse to shoot it.  It's the photographers job to see the detail, they are always responsible for the final result of any photo, thats why they make the big bucks.  Sorry if that sounds harsh, I really don't want to get into a pissing match over makeup but you asked...dont ask if you dont want opinions of others.

I didn't complain about any product.

I want a constructive opinion that will help me refine my sense of makeup styling and how to spot good and bad makeup.  The makeup artist was hired by the model.  As I stated, I have only done a few shoots with a makeup artist, I only started shooting anything remotely fashion oriented about a year ago.  How can someone with no experience with makeup and no experience shooting with a makeup artist have a refined sense of appreciation for the product?  Why should this be a point of concern to you?  I'm asking so I can learn.  You are throwing your weight around so you can look like a big shot.

Jan 17 06 09:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
In my view, if you have to ask then it means you have never seen quality, professional make-up.

In LA-LA land, we have thousands of people calling themselves make-up artists.  Only a few of them work for the film studios or on the better print productions.  There is a reason, they aren't good enough.

Pick up Vogue and look at the make-up and then check out your samples.  Pick up a copy of Cosmo and do the same.  Even Playboy is a good example.

Just like photographers there are different levels of make-up artistry.  There is no substitute.  In nearly all cases, shots will look markedly better with professional make-up (unless that is not the look you want).

The make-up in your photos looks like they were done by someone with training but a lack of experience.  That doesn't mean they should be hung.  It means they should work on getting better.

This is another point I was going to make....If you're looking at magazines and quality work, this makeup job would not even be a question, you would know it isn't right.

I disagree that you can train someone just because you like them.  Some people have an eye some poeple don't and its not something you can learn.  Look at photographer portfolios, some have been shooting for years and are as bad today as they day they picked up their first camera.

Jan 17 06 09:39 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

After reading everyone's comments I went to look at the photos.  First of all I have learned that everyone's computer's color is set differently.  Found that out when I was working with my web guy.  Second, I was told pictures that are on the artistic side should tell a complete story.  Other wise people won't get it.  The one image with the fish nets and darkest makeup? I am thinking fetish?  The makeup is a bit much for me but what do I know.  The image with the hair down.  My eye went right to her nose.  Then the lip was a bit too shinny and the color looked off.  Think the big nose might have been the problem here!!!  Have to blame something or someone!  I don't mind the blue and geen makeup with that dress. You'r having to explain to us that these are taken out of a series and and there are tweaking issues.  Which makes it a bit harder to judge.   When you did the set up, didn't the model and makeup artist look to check the test shots?   It's automatic for me to check my work on the computer before we start.  I go over every inch to see if it's correct.  I learned a long time ago when I worked for Playboy. I was told, oh don't worry if it's a little off, they fix everything in photo shop.  Bull st*t if ayone has to fix any of my work in photo shop! Made sure it was and is perfect everytime. R-

Jan 17 06 09:48 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Amanda Schlicher wrote:

I didn't complain about any product.

I want a constructive opinion that will help me refine my sense of makeup styling and how to spot good and bad makeup.  The makeup artist was hired by the model.  As I stated, I have only done a few shoots with a makeup artist, I only started shooting anything remotely fashion oriented about a year ago.  How can someone with no experience with makeup and no experience shooting with a makeup artist have a refined sense of appreciation for the product?  Why should this be a point of concern to you?  I'm asking so I can learn.  You are throwing your weight around so you can look like a big shot.

I really dont need to look like a big shot on MM, are you for real?  I was answering your question you dont like the answer so now you try to insult me....

A little advice.....Get over yourself.  Grow a thicker skin, you're going to need it...and dont ask questions unless you want real answers.....You need to learn to look at details, you aren't doing that right now.  I am not going to sit here and give you a free makeup lesson by giving you details on makeup application and how this is wrong, for that I will charge you and clearly you NEVER pay a makeup artist so no, no free lesson for you smile

Jan 17 06 09:51 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

my spelling and sentence construction isn't working well tonight but that's another posting! R-

Jan 17 06 09:53 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

my spelling and sentence construction isn't working well tonight but that's another posting! R-

Jan 17 06 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Mary wrote:
I really dont need to look like a big shot on MM, are you for real?  I was answering your question you dont like the answer so now you try to insult me....

A little advice.....Get over yourself.  Grow a thicker skin, you're going to need it...and dont ask questions unless you want real answers.....You need to learn to look at details, you aren't doing that right now.  I am not going to sit here and give you a free makeup lesson by giving you details on makeup application and how this is wrong, for that I will charge you and clearly you NEVER pay a makeup artist so no, no free lesson for you smile

I don't pay a makeup artist for a TFCD shoot with a model for her portfolio.  That would be stupid.  The model can hire whomever she wants.  When I am doing a shoot for a magazine, advertisement, or for my personal portfolio development, then I will certainly pay the artist what he/she is worth (or the client will.)
This has nothing to do with having a thick skin.  I didn't ask for a critique of my work, therefore, my skin has nothing to do with it.  I asked for tips on how to improve my recognition of details such as makeup artistry.
I suppose it's pointless to post a question in the forum, since apparently the professionals would like to start charging for every opinion.

Then again, there are several responses to my question in this thread that are polite, constructive, and helpful.

Jan 17 06 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Roshar wrote:
I would say Im not into the makeup eigther.

However I do have a different approach on how it should be dealt with.

Given your location I think it would be safe to assume there isnt a wealth of MUA availabe.
So you also mention that you like this person too.

I would say that instead of giving her the boot you can in a way help her, especially if you feel she is sincere and wanting to grow.

I will give you an example...

For 3 years I lived on Maui. There were no fashion photographers there and frankly I didnt care for anyones work.
So I found one that showed promise and was sincerly willing to challenge himself and grow.
I clipped a magazine ad and said " I want this lighting, this angle, warmer, cooler, background, yadda yadda"
He took it on as a challenge for himself and indeed took his photography up a couple of notches. He grew. Not cause of me, but he did things he woulnt have initially thought of doing and learned from it.

So what I would say is, for your shoots play art director. Show her clippings- narrow it down to one per look and say you want the makeup exactly like that.
You will get more of what you are looking for.

If blending is the problem make sure you draw it to her attention.

If non of that works then you can drop her like a log! just kidding!

This is of course if you think she is worth the effort.
She may grow and become a really good artist thanks to you.

Thanks, this is helpful.  I never really thought of shooting anything editorial style before, so when I started getting models interested in that style I pretty much just experimented and let the makeup artist do what she wanted.  I guess I considered asking for feedback to be the next step.  There are very few makeup artists in the area, so I'll likely work with her again as well as looking for other talent.
I think I'll get a collection of looks that I find interesting together and maybe sit down with her to look at them outside of a shoot context.
I went to school for theatrical costuming, but makeup was an entirely different field of study, and the few makeup classes I took didn't cover beauty makeup whatsoever, it was almost entirely special effects.  I've always been interested in learning more about makeup, but I profess complete ignorance on the subject.

Jan 17 06 10:09 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Amanda Schlicher wrote:

I don't pay a makeup artist for a TFCD shoot with a model for her portfolio.  That would be stupid.  The model can hire whomever she wants.  When I am doing a shoot for a magazine, advertisement, or for my personal portfolio development, then I will certainly pay the artist what he/she is worth (or the client will.)
This has nothing to do with having a thick skin.  I didn't ask for a critique of my work, therefore, my skin has nothing to do with it.  I asked for tips on how to improve my recognition of details such as makeup artistry.
I suppose it's pointless to post a question in the forum, since apparently the professionals would like to start charging for every opinion.

Then again, there are several responses to my question in this thread that are polite, constructive, and helpful.

well, that is your work.  The photographer is responsible for the shot, every aspect of the shot...thats my point.

You were given great advice here by a few people....Go get W, Vogue, and other fashoin magazines and study the makeup...you have to know whats right before you know whats wrong.

Take a magazine in, pick a photo and lay it on the table and tell the artist "thats what I want, right there"  and when she doesnt do it just like the magazine shot you just tell her it's not right yet and to send the model out when the makeup looks just like that shot.  If it takes 2 hours, ok, 3 hours fine....frusterating, yes but really thats what you need to do.

Jan 17 06 10:10 pm Link

Makeup Artist

girlcanpaint

Brooklyn, New York, US

Amanda Schlicher wrote:
I've been working with a makeup artist recently, which is something I've never done before.  I've been pleased with her work because she is fun, attentive, hardworking, and pulls off both very natural and very funky looks well (in my opinion).  But recently I've been getting some criticism on 2 different shoots saying the photo is great, but the makeup is horrible (actually, people are rude enough to say the artist should be fired or shot.)  I thought the makeup was pretty good, fun, well applied, and appropriate for the shoot.  However, I suppose I'm willing to admit that while I liked the makeup a lot, maybe I don't actually know enough about makeup to know if it's really any good.  What makes a good makeup artist as opposed to a bad one?

The makeup artist is just inexperienced, she just needs to practice, practice, practice it's all that makes perfect.
She needs to make a profile sheet of the models to make sure she has all the information about the models skin and face so she can properly apply the makeup and know what colors will match the model and the look.
Also she needs to work on her blending so the edges aren't so sharp and if there is alot going on with the eyes the lips should be light or vice versa, unless the lips match the color on the eye makeup to some degree.
Anyway if you like this person and want to continue working with her just do some test shoots in order for her to get more practice with her blending etc. and she should buy some Kevyn Aucoin books they are great for learning the non-rules as he called them.
Good luck.

Jan 17 06 10:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

hmmmmmmmm

Jan 17 06 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

tyat

Miami, Florida, US

I think the fastest way to learn something is to first have an open mind about it. Take everything in, positive and negative, then pick what you find beneficial for you and go with that. Spending energy on battling with or dismissing things that you don't agree with or don't know much about as "stupid" does nothing but hinder your learning process.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Jan 17 06 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Mary wrote:

well, that is your work.  The photographer is responsible for the shot, every aspect of the shot...thats my point.

You were given great advice here by a few people....Go get W, Vogue, and other fashoin magazines and study the makeup...you have to know whats right before you know whats wrong.

Take a magazine in, pick a photo and lay it on the table and tell the artist "thats what I want, right there"  and when she doesnt do it just like the magazine shot you just tell her it's not right yet and to send the model out when the makeup looks just like that shot.  If it takes 2 hours, ok, 3 hours fine....frusterating, yes but really thats what you need to do.

Thank you, that was a helpful response.

Jan 17 06 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Nailah wrote:
Every makeup artist should KNOW the color wheel. they should KNOW what colors compliment other colors, and they should be able to identify the undertones of the model's skin.

I feel everyone who is an artist--photographer, stylist, makeup artist, or any other visual artist--should know the color wheel, but makeup artists and stylists must learn it earlier in their career than photographers do. (And some photographers never seem to pick it up.)

Mary wrote:
It's the photographers job to see the detail, they are always responsible for the final result of any photo, thats why they make the big bucks.

And learning to "see" that is something that is hard for some photographers. Much like learning to "see" light, or "see" correct color in prints, it takes some experience.

Amanda Schlicher wrote:
I want a constructive opinion that will help me refine my sense of makeup styling and how to spot good and bad makeup. [...]
How can someone with no experience with makeup and no experience shooting with a makeup artist have a refined sense of appreciation for the product?

Look at a lot of what's considered "good" makeup, and study what you see--and try to notice what you don't see--that is, what specifically is NOT present. Then, when you're working with a makeup artist, you'll have a basis for comparison.  As noted above, it's not obvious to many, and it's hard to teach; it's more of an osmosis kind of learning for most.

Mary wrote:
It also is a bit of a concern that you can't see this is bad makeup, the photographers I work with would take one look at this and refuse to shoot it.

Experience. It's not something that's automatic for most people, and you are working with more experienced and talented photographers. Think back to your earlier days, and remember how the newwe photographers saw things--or missed things.

Jan 17 06 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

A good MUA is someone that gives you Exactly what you want...

It is OK for an MUA to make suggestions, nothing wrong with that, I for one welcome it.

If you are the Client or are in Charge of the Shoot, you should get Exactly what you want.

Jan 18 06 12:21 am Link