Forums > General Industry > Overblown "Artist's Statements"

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

OK, we mustn't be rude, in public anyway, so we all have to make our own little PRIVATE lists.  But I recently have noticed on some photographer's portfolios that the "About Me" sections is what amounts to a self-description of the work, telling me is it innovative, unique, artistic, sometimes even "edgy," but, all-in-all, it is blow-your-mind awesome.  OK, so with great expectation, I click the avatar, get to the page and am so overwhelmed with boring photos my brain immediately shuts down in self-protection mode and I bruise my nose when my head falls forward onto the keyboard.  My cat usually revives me.  If you have to tell me your photographs are really, REALLY great, something is missing.

Jan 16 06 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Eric Foltz

Lake Forest, California, US

In my experience, it works the same way with "studio" names. The more pretentious the name, the more ordinary the images. If your images are good, you don't need some hokey name to suck people in.

Eric Foltz

Jan 16 06 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Overblown artists' statements are the norm.  Do you expect people to say, "My work isn't all that good," when they're trying to sell prints in a gallery?

Jan 16 06 11:39 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

I am the most amazing model person in the entire world! worship me!

Jan 16 06 11:40 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

OH, and Brian, this is for you.....eueuwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!

and, in case anyone thought I was being serious, here is some oversmilification for you: smilewinksmilewinksmilewinksmilewinksmilewink

Jan 16 06 11:41 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I like my new one the best. At least it's honest....

Jan 16 06 11:43 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Lapis wrote:

Damn you for stealing my lines!!

wait let me add this wink wink wink wink wink

Jan 16 06 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

Lapis wrote:

The same goes for most women here ... just because they like to be admired and
photographed, or perhaps have a photo or two published in Penny Saver mag or such ..
call themselves 'MODEL'

FYI .. I do think you are a great figure MODEL by the way smile

Jan 16 06 11:47 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Brian Diaz wrote:
Overblown artists' statements are the norm.  Do you expect people to say, "My work isn't all that good," when they're trying to sell prints in a gallery?

Sure. Here is mine.

I love taking pictures.

I desperately want to compose some lofty, transcendental, pompous-art-snob statements about the nature of my "work" and what it means, and the intrinsic value of my visual contributions to the world. But I derive too much pleasure from photography to even call it work. I like to phone my models and say "let's play" instead.

I don't even like to be called an artist. I was born and raised in the Midwest. To Midwesterners, an "artist" is Michelangelo or DaVinci. When you come from a blue-collar, working-class family, to call oneself an "artist" is a rather elitist and conceited thing to say. They are just photos, not the Sistine Chapel, after all. The closest I can come to being an "artist" is to simply say that I enjoy being "creative" and leave it at that.

In the end, it doesn't matter if the terminolgy attributed to my photography is "work" or "play" or if I am an "artist" or a "wanna-be hack" or whatever. All that matters to me is that I love taking pictures. That enjoyment doesn't change, no matter what labels are placed upon the process.

It's just fun.

If the people in my photos have a good time posing, and people who look at my photos enjoy what they see, then that is good enough for me.

It's up on my site:
http://www.ericmuss-barnes.com/bio.asp

Jan 16 06 11:48 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Lapis wrote:

Oh, Lapis.  We already do.

Jan 16 06 11:51 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
Sure. Here is mine.

I like that.  It has personality.

Jan 16 06 11:52 am Link

Photographer

ELANFOTOS

Miami, Florida, US

Eric Foltz wrote:
In my experience, it works the same way with "studio" names. The more pretentious the name, the more ordinary the images. If your images are good, you don't need some hokey name to suck people in.

Eric Foltz

DAMN.  i hope this dont mean me!?!

é·lan  1. Enthusiastic vigor and liveliness.  2. Distinctive style or flair.
3. Ardor inspired by passion or enthusiasm.

n 1: a feeling of strong eagerness (usually in favor of a person or cause); "they were imbued with a revolutionary ardor"; "he felt a kind of religious zeal" [syn: ardor, ardour, zeal] 2: distinctive and stylish elegance; "he wooed her with the confident dash of a cavalry officer" [syn: dash, flair, panache, style] 3: enthusiastic and assured vigor and liveliness; "a performance of great elan and sophistication"

that being said , i want to keep my profile as humble as possible, so i think i'll just post the following..... what do you think?

With every image and vision
I express myself as a member of a higher community
I have forgotten how to walk and speak
I am on the way toward flying into the air, dancing
My very images express enchantment
I feel myself a God
Supernatural images emanate from me
I walk about enchanted
In ecstasy like the Gods I saw walking in my dreams
I am no longer an artist
I have become a work of art

i think it simplely quaint, yet sublty effective? no?

Jan 16 06 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Although I do like Eric Muss-Barnes' post, Mr. Diaz is correct and unfortunately hype and hyperbole have indeed become the norm, especially where a piece of trash is now called "found art" and given an incredibly pretentious name which then brings in big bucks by someone who wants to own an expensive piece of art...... (and I typed that all in one breath too!)

Try to pick up some turtle neck sweaters and corduroy sports jackets with leather elbow patches also.  Look distant and petulant at the gallery opening. 

Bank all the proceeds.

Jan 16 06 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

photoguy42

Toledo, Ohio, US

I like the artist statement on my website...

It simply states "Insert pretentious artist statement here."

Jan 16 06 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
The closest I can come to being an "artist" is to simply say that I enjoy being "creative" and leave it at that.

I referred to myself once as a "painter" and got offers to do 3 houses, a couple of fences and a retail shop.

ROTFLMAO

Studio36

Jan 16 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

ELAN IMAGE STUDIO wrote:
With every image and vision
I express myself as a member of a higher community
I have forgotten how to walk and speak
I am on the way toward flying into the air, dancing
My very images express enchantment
I feel myself a God
Supernatural images emanate from me
I walk about enchanted
In ecstasy like the Gods I saw walking in my dreams
I am no longer an artist
I have become a work of art

This is perfect!!!  Now click on the avatar and get babes in bikinis.

Jan 16 06 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Hey... bottom line... blow off all the pompous, arrogant, self-inflating comments made on the 'about me' page... just checkout their MM images and website content.  The work should speak for itself.

PS: And Lapis, when U need some more worshiping, let me know.  U rock girlfren... wink

Jan 16 06 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I enjoy the fact that for the most part, my profile is a warning to models...about myself.  I get too many newbies who think buying a cat-collar and a "hot topic" t-shirt makes them a "fetish" model.  If anyone can think of things I can say to make myself seem more perverted and scary to newbies and wanabes, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Jan 16 06 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Dreams To Keep wrote:
Try to pick up some turtle neck sweaters and corduroy sports jackets with leather elbow patches also.  Look distant and petulant at the gallery opening. 

Bank all the proceeds.

AHHH So *THAT'S* what I did wrong!

*Hang's head in button up shirt, jeans, and brown barn-coat wearing, friendly looking, smiling, self amused shame*

How were they to even know I was the artist????

Jan 16 06 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

Yeah sorry about that.... my work kind of sucks.
-SB

Ivan123 wrote:
OK, we mustn't be rude, in public anyway, so we all have to make our own little PRIVATE lists.  But I recently have noticed on some photographer's portfolios that the "About Me" sections is what amounts to a self-description of the work, telling me is it innovative, unique, artistic, sometimes even "edgy," but, all-in-all, it is blow-your-mind awesome.  OK, so with great expectation, I click the avatar, get to the page and am so overwhelmed with boring photos my brain immediately shuts down in self-protection mode and I bruise my nose when my head falls forward onto the keyboard.  My cat usually revives me.  If you have to tell me your photographs are really, REALLY great, something is missing.

Jan 16 06 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

RayAndWen

OLD HICKORY, Tennessee, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Do you expect people to say, "My work isn't all that good," ...

We sooo wanted to put that in ours.

Jan 16 06 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Eric Foltz wrote:

Uh oh, I guess I'm in trouble...

Jan 16 06 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

Lapis wrote:

With all your posting and the images on your site, you do live up to your muse status.  Do you really want to limit yourself to "person"?

Jan 16 06 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

Lapis wrote:

With all your posting and the images on your site, you do live up to your muse status.  Do you really want to limit yourself to "person"?

Jan 16 06 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

Lapis wrote:

Jan 16 06 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Beebe

Tracy, California, US

Lapis wrote:

OK, sounds fair enough

Jan 16 06 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Are we supposed to have artists' statements?

Oops.

-D

Jan 16 06 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

J Haig

Gananoque, Ontario, Canada

When it comes to describing my work, I mostly make things up. Like being sincere, or loving humanity, or giving a crap...
I use a fancy smanzy latin (not latino, although that would be cooler) name to impress people with my deep thinking. 
I once listed "6 time winner of the BuckEye NewsHawk Award" in my credits, but I don't think many of the members of Mayhem were alive when WKRP was on the air...
I do enjoy reading long artist's statements...they're usually more enjoyable than the work they attempt to introduce.

Jan 17 06 01:55 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

I had to write an artist's statement for a gallery. I didn't want a pretensious one. It doesn't matter how fantastic you think you are if people see your work as crap. I just wrote about my "philosophy" towards my photography. There is a modified version on my portfolio - it sucks and someday I will have to tweak it.

Jan 17 06 11:43 am Link

Photographer

ELANFOTOS

Miami, Florida, US

Ivan123 wrote:

This is perfect!!!  Now click on the avatar and get babes in bikinis.

how dare you ivan!...lol Babes in bikini's on my port?  me? never,,, i got  boobies tho!?! lol

Jan 17 06 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

wirehead arts

Sunnyvale, California, US

I hate writing statements.  I'm always worried that I'll sound like an egocentric twit, but, at the same time, I don't want to have a artist statement that says "My work is crap.  Go away."

tongue

Jan 17 06 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

Les Sterling

Palm Springs, California, US

wirehead arts wrote:
I hate writing statements.  I'm always worried that I'll sound like an egocentric twit, but, at the same time, I don't want to have a artist statement that says "My work is crap.  Go away."

tongue

Although there is something to be said for simplicity smile

Sadly they are the norm for most who show in galleries.
I've made peace with seeming like an egocentric fool - most people recognize that they're writing a marketing tool, not a glimpse into their true soul.

Jan 17 06 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Jordan Michael Zuniga

Los Angeles, California, US

Im da`shit.

Jan 17 06 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

'Monk

Denver, Colorado, US

And here I thought the name spoke for itself. Huh who knew? tongue

Jan 17 06 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Jordan Michael Zuniga

=P

Jan 17 06 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Jordan Michael Zuniga

=P

Jan 17 06 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Jordan Michael Zuniga

=P

Jan 17 06 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

wirehead arts wrote:

tongue

Same here. But like someone said, it's marketing.

Jan 17 06 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

MikeyBoy

Milltown, Wisconsin, US

oh i dont know... reading photog bios can be interesting.. smile

from pompous 3rd person delusions of grandeur, to the pseudo-intellectual New Age psychoblabber mission statements of artistic sensitivity, to the tired laundry list of publications and 40 years experience... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

the fun part is reading how the photog has changed the world with his magical images and then after i wake from my nap, opening  the port and saying to myself...... "WTF is this shit" ! ? smile

p.s. dont forget the ever popular " i dont do TFP under any circumstances, but i will do TFP if an interesting idea is presented"..... hey numbnuts, which is it ? ya do or ya don't smile

Jan 17 06 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Writing about myself in the 3rd person is where I draw the line. I'm usually embarrassed by bios and, when they're not really integral to the work, I'm not big on artist statements. But they ask us to write one, and on the join page they even tell you that writing something more important than "my name is Joe and I like to take pictures/make money" is mandatory.

So I wrote something. Talks a little bit about what I like. And then I lapse into general blog bs-ing. And it's pretty evident where that happens. No need to read that if my bs blogging doesn't keep you in rapt attention.

Oh hell, just go look at the pictures. That's what you're here for, and that's what I've provided. It's the only thing that means anything on my page. In fact, it kinda makes the writing redundant, because there's nothing my writing says that my pictures don't say.

Jan 17 06 08:24 pm Link