Forums > General Industry > Ever glad that a model no showed?

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

So, yesterday I had an amazing shoot with an amazing model (MM#13444). It was simply one of those shoots that has energized me to the next level. Can't stop thinking about it. It's probably going to change my whole outlook on future shoots for the better.

I actually had two shoots scheduled for yesterday, but the second shoot was scheduled a couple hours after Miss Bronze. Model #2, is one of those twits who woke up one morning and decided she was going to be a model.

Anyways, I finished up with Miss Bronze and off she went to her next shoot. I started to clean up and prep for model #2 who was due to arrive 2 hrs later. As I was cleaning up, I couldn't help but think that I was wasting my time, since the next model would never be able to top or even come close to what I just finished shooting. In a way, I was wishing I hadn't booked her.

And you know what? Sure as shit, she e-mails me 5 minutes before we're scheduled and tells me, "I'm very scared and don't think I want to go through with this shoot." Don't ask what she was scared of. She didn't elaborate.

But the point is, I am glad she cancelled. It gave me more time to sit back, smoke a cigarette, and reflect on the awesome shoot I just had with a wonderful, prepared, professional model!

I'm happy! That is all.

Jan 15 06 03:18 pm Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

::applause::

Jan 15 06 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

George ephrem

Jacksonville, Florida, US

I just had one 'no-show' at the mall food court for a meet and greet. we had talked about an 1.5 hr earlier, everything was good to go. just a meet and greet.
i called her after waiting 20 min. , no answer, no return call so waited another 20-30 minutes, just the kind of guy i am, no call ,...no show...ugh!!!!
but it wasn't the first, and not the last i'm sure.
she could have at least, called and said NO, not even that!!!!

oh well crap happens....God bless to all

Jan 15 06 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

George ephrem wrote:
I just had one 'no-show' at the mall food court for a meet and greet. we had talked about an 1.5 hr earlier, everything was good to go. just a meet and greet.
i called her after waiting 20 min. , no answer, no return call so waited another 20-30 minutes, just the kind of guy i am, no call ,...no show...ugh!!!!
but it wasn't the first, and not the last i'm sure.
she could have at least, called and said NO, not even that!!!!

oh well crap happens....God bless to all

Well, I wasn't mad. I wasn't perturbed. I was happy. I e-mailed her back a simple, "Thank you for considering my project. Maybe we'll try next time."

Jan 15 06 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

WestWoodStudios

I just joined this site, Are you fellow photographer booking models from this site? I have been here 3 short days and i have to say, between no shows and flakes and who is a profesional photographer or who is a GWC and this or that, i am pertrified to think what this site is for???? i have bowesed several profiles of models and photographers, some profiles have some very scary stuff on them. Flaming each other and talking about others work? Really my freind albert suggested this site as a And i Qoute "Excellent site for net working" i am very confused right now. I may be a little green in the industry and not a big time guy but folks really, why even bother if all there is on here, a big community of flameing and knock downs, and if the model did this, why not post her mm # and everyting so other people can avoid them? Well i will shut up now, I believe i need to see how much work i can really do with this community before i say more.

Robert

Jan 15 06 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

WestWoodStudios wrote:
I just joined this site, Are you fellow photographer booking models from this site? I have been here 3 short days and i have to say, between no shows and flakes and who is a profesional photographer or who is a GWC and this or that, i am pertrified to think what this site is for???? i have bowesed several profiles of models and photographers, some profiles have some very scary stuff on them. Flaming each other and talking about others work? Really my freind albert suggested this site as a And i Qoute "Excellent site for net working" i am very confused right now. I may be a little green in the industry and not a big time guy but folks really, why even bother if all there is on here, a big community of flameing and knock downs, and if the model did this, why not post her mm # and everyting so other people can avoid them? Well i will shut up now, I believe i need to see how much work i can really do with this community before i say more.

Robert

Actually, the one that showed was from this site. The one that flaked was from that other site..

Jan 15 06 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

In a word John:  "Yes" there have been times that I have been better off when a model changed her mind.

Jan 15 06 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

YES!

There have been several times where I was feeling a little crappy and was really not up for a shoot, and low and behold the model doesn't show up - hooo friggin rah!!

Jan 15 06 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

https://www.johnjebbia.com/temp/rj.jpg

Jan 15 06 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Yes, in retrospect, I'm happy every time that happens.  Someone who will do such a thing does not deserve to have my photos in her or his portfolio.

And it often gives me an extra afternoon to plan out more shots at the pub.smile

Jan 15 06 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Oh hell yes!!!

I had a meet and greet with this one girl, and she was giving me small, quick headaches everytime she opened her mouth. Talking about she doesn't need make up and silly things like that. I'm glad she decided not to show up to the shoot.

Jan 15 06 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Assume that a no-show happens for a reason. Unless you already know the model or have a verified good reason, it is best to move on.

The worst thing you can do is casually re-schedule a no-show, no matter how appologetic they are. You will get bit!

Jan 15 06 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

John Jebbia wrote:
So, yesterday I had an amazing shoot with an amazing model (MM#13444). It was simply one of those shoots that has energized me to the next level. Can't stop thinking about it. It's probably going to change my whole outlook on future shoots for the better.

I actually had two shoots scheduled for yesterday, but the second shoot was scheduled a couple hours after Miss Bronze. Model #2, is one of those twits who woke up one morning and decided she was going to be a model.

Anyways, I finished up with Miss Bronze and off she went to her next shoot. I started to clean up and prep for model #2 who was due to arrive 2 hrs later. As I was cleaning up, I couldn't help but think that I was wasting my time, since the next model would never be able to top or even come close to what I just finished shooting. In a way, I was wishing I hadn't booked her.

And you know what? Sure as shit, she e-mails me 5 minutes before we're scheduled and tells me, "I'm very scared and don't think I want to go through with this shoot." Don't ask what she was scared of. She didn't elaborate.

But the point is, I am glad she cancelled. It gave me more time to sit back, smoke a cigarette, and reflect on the awesome shoot I just had with a wonderful, prepared, professional model!

I'm happy! That is all.

I am SOOOOOOOOO envious! You worked with Lady Bronze - I would love to work with her!

Happened to me last year, once you work with a great and experienced professional, you never want to go back to working with "amateurs" (meaning models who aren't serious)

Jan 15 06 04:42 pm Link

Model

Jessica Loren

Baltimore, Maryland, US

John Jebbia wrote:

How freakin' cute is this???
smile

Jan 15 06 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

John Jebbia wrote:

Whoa. Didn't know it was a scat shoot!

Jan 15 06 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Jan 15 06 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Jessica L wrote:

How freakin' cute is this???
smile

I know.. I know, I'm not supposed to touch the models....

Jan 15 06 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Pruitt

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Depending on references of a model, these days I actually book two models at the same time slot for shoots.  Something seems to always come up with at least one model...if they both show up, it is once in a blue moon, but it makes for an even more creative shoot.....Why only have one model when you can shoot two.  smile

By doing this I have save myself time and money when involving location rental fees, MUA, Stylists, etc....not to mention my time.

Jan 15 06 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

John Jebbia wrote:

What the hell mess is that stuff? That looks nasty

::shudders::

Answer to your question, no.

And I would never refer to anyone in an open posting as "twit".

Jan 16 06 12:03 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
What the hell mess is that stuff? That looks nasty

barbecue sauce!

Jan 16 06 12:11 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

John Jebbia wrote:

barbecue sauce!

looks Gross

Jan 16 06 12:13 am Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

WestWoodStudios wrote:

Robert

rp_photo wrote:
Assume that a no-show happens for a reason. Unless you already know the model or have a verified good reason, it is best to move on.

The worst thing you can do is casually re-schedule a no-show, no matter how appologetic they are. You will get bit!

pmgames wrote:
Depending on references of a model, these days I actually book two models at the same time slot for shoots.  Something seems to always come up with at least one model...if they both show up, it is once in a blue moon, but it makes for an even more creative shoot.....Why only have one model when you can shoot two.  smile

By doing this I have save myself time and money when involving location rental fees, MUA, Stylists, etc....not to mention my time.

Dude,

Wherever you go there will be people who are full of shit, flakey models, insecure GWC's, childish people. 

I have shot with a few here on MM and so far so good.  The ratio for No-Shows to the one's who actually show is 13:1 so far.

Book at least 4 models at a time and 3 MUA's at a time.  And still sometimes everyone cancels...

Flake on me once, shame on you, Flake on me twice Shame on ME!
You only get one chance with me unless it's extenuating circumstances and you use the PHONE to notify me.  Emai is so impersonal and I check it whenever...

Not good, but I'll tell you what, the one's who have shown were Awesome and Professional!

It's a numbers game wherever you go.........

Jan 16 06 03:06 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

I once regret that a model DID show up...but I guess that is not the same...

Jan 16 06 03:34 am Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Hartsoe wrote:
I once regret that a model DID show up...but I guess that is not the same...

Funny...I've had one of those too...Thankfully, she has decided to use her mom's P&S shots instead of mine.

Jan 16 06 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

groupw wrote:

Funny...I've had one of those too...Thankfully, she has decided to use her mom's P&S shots instead of mine.

At her moms urging, no doubt.

Jan 16 06 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Michael Barrett

Upland, California, US

Hey John...I'm sure we've seen all kinds! Just the other day I was shooting a first time model...which seemed like it was going to be a no show.

The thing was was that I just had an amazing shoot the day before, so I really didn't care...I was still on that high you mentioned before. So I decided to pack it up and head home...but much to my surprise, she called and said she was there, so I turned around, not expecting much and had one of my most productive shoots!

So you never know!

Glad your doing well...

Jan 16 06 10:35 am Link

Photographer

C00P

Anaheim, California, US

Last June I'd set up two models for some pinup. One was bringing all of her own wardrobe/props for an Elvgren recreation. The other was to be a Varga recreation where I'd made the wardrobe from scratch except for hat and shoes, plus put a lot of work into the prop. Spent a total of 3-4 months working on it in my spare time.

The model for the Elvgren was booked for the first slot and showed up a few minutes early. She was totally professional, polite, prepared, absolute pleasure to work with.

As we started nearing the end of her set, the second model hadn't called or showed. We were having so much fun we decided to keep shooting. When the second model hit the 60 minute late mark, we decided to shoot the first model for the Varga set.

Several times over the rest of the shoot both the MUA and I commented on how we were actually glad the second model flaked as we were having so much fun and got some great shots.

The model that showed: JezebelleX MM#8179
The awesome MUA: Catherine Crump MM#4506
The model that flaked....  can't even remember her name big_smile

Jan 16 06 10:59 am Link

Model

McKenzie

Fort Myers, Florida, US

OK, so I see that photographers are responding to this pretty well, although I have seen where people are complaining of the flakes or get upset or angry because of no-shows.  I absolutely don't blame you.  I think it is very unprofessional to cancel a shoot the "day of" unless there is some big huge emergency that has taken place which is usually very slim.  If a model cancels a week or two prior, that is a legit notice of cancellation.  I can honestly say that I had maybe 2 photographers flake on me.  It has just made me to be a little more selective on the people I do work with.  I have not flaked on anyone.  I have yes, canceled in advance because of family issues that have came up (grandfather cancer, Aunt dying, sister having baby) which have been real and things that have happened out of my control. 

It's just amazing to me to see how many of you it doesn't seem to bother that much.  I guess I wouldn't want to schedule something and sit and wait on someone and feel at the end that it was a waste of my time.  I could of been doing something better with my time.  If you felt to begin with that you may not get good images with that person then why did you schedule them in the first place if you were so determined if they didn't show up it was no big deal?  When I make schedules they are things that I WANT to do and WILL do.  It makes models lives who actually show up to jobs or assignments lives more difficult because if it has happened to a photographer on several occasions then they automatically label the next model as a potential flake when that is not the case. 

I can say that the two that flaked on me, I was actually excited to do the shoots with them and disappointed in them when they let me down.  I treat others exactly how I would like to be treated.  No more and no less.  For me, unless there is a very very good reason and most usually it isn't a very good reason.  One had a very good reason, the other.....not a very good reason.  But, the odds of me working with someone who stood me up on same day and didn't cancel with me with advanced notice won't have the chance to work with me again.  I guess maybe I sound like a bitch by saying that, but this isn't a game....it is a business...or at least that is how I treat it.  Maybe because I am serious about what I do and where I want to go. 

Anyway, I apologize now for the ranting.  But when I hear about it daily about models not showing up to shoots and how photographer are upset about it and I come to a forum and some are actually quite happy about it....it makes me wonder.  It's like telling these girls it is ok that they did what they did and there is no consequence to the action.  If they know that you are willing to go back and try again....in their eyes...it's ok for what they did.  IF it was not a good reason to begin with.  Did any of these shoots even get confirmed the day before??!?  And no matter what....I always say with the world of technology there is no reason or excuse that you cannot get to a phone and make a call to let someone know what is going on.  No matter what, there is always a way to communicate.  Ok....I will stop now.  LOL. 

xoxoxoxo
McKenzie

Jan 16 06 11:00 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

WestWoodStudios wrote:

Robert

You commented on networking. So, I just wanted to let you know that I do think this is a good place for networking- but I've seen a considerable amount of flakes on here compared to the "other site". Give this site a chance though- like a few months- then see what the outcome is.

-D

Jan 16 06 11:16 am Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

John Jebbia wrote:
barbecue sauce!

Yes! I knew it! Do I get a prize? big_smile

On a serious note, there are so many flakes and you can never take yourself too seriously. For those trying to comfort John, he wasn't upset to begin with. He doesn't have to be. It's his right. Why should a photographer sit around and waste energy being mad? Sometimes *gasp* a no-show actually works in our favor. But hey, everyone seemed to interpret this a tad bit differently than I.

Jan 16 06 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I envy any photographer who gets the chance to work with Lady Bronze. Not only is she a beauty but she is a sweet and very bright young lady.

As for your topic heading, I have wished some models flaked, yes. But not in a sense that I did not want to work with them, but because I either was not feeling well or did not get much or any sleep the night before. I never book a model I do not want to work with.
But if she flakes for a stupid reason, I generally do not contact her for a shoot again.

Jan 16 06 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:

Whoa. Didn't know it was a scat shoot!

Thanks, you said it so I didnt need to,lol.

Jan 16 06 11:27 am Link

Photographer

Merlyn Magic Photo

Long Beach, California, US

John Jebbia wrote:

I'm happy! That is all.

John:
Glad it worked out for you, but you got to quit the nasty habit, you're to good to loose to lung cancer. Seriously, give it up!

Jan 16 06 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

John Jebbia wrote:

I'm happy! That is all.

I go grocery shopping if a model is fifteen minutes late.  Just leave and spend their money.  I always feel good about it later.

Jan 16 06 12:31 pm Link

Model

_Alexandra

Alexandria, Virginia, US

You know, people gossip about each other in this community, so if you're not going to show up, it'll spread like wildfire.  No one is going to want to work with you if you can't even get up and go to a shoot!

But why would she even schedule if she was scared?  I always bring my Mum with me, not only because I'm a minor, but because I feel better with her there.  I mean, she doesn't hover around me; she normally sits down to read her book, but she's there and not interrupting.  I just feel more secure like that.  I think everyone should bring someone with them, especially when shooting with a photographer they've never met or don't know well.  As long as it's someone who won't discourage or distract them.

Jan 16 06 01:05 pm Link

Model

_Alexandra

Alexandria, Virginia, US

John Jebbia wrote:

barbecue sauce!

i was just about to ask if someone was eating ribs!

Jan 16 06 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Key Photography

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

I had a no show and it was a Godsend! The only sad part was the excuse... how stupid did she think I was?

Jan 16 06 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Key Photography

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

model7299 wrote:
You know, people gossip about each other in this community, so if you're not going to show up, it'll spread like wildfire.  No one is going to want to work with you if you can't even get up and go to a shoot!

But why would she even schedule if she was scared?  I always bring my Mum with me, not only because I'm a minor, but because I feel better with her there.  I mean, she doesn't hover around me; she normally sits down to read her book, but she's there and not interrupting.  I just feel more secure like that.  I think everyone should bring someone with them, especially when shooting with a photographer they've never met or don't know well.  As long as it's someone who won't discourage or distract them.

Agreed, but I wont gossip. However, if I'm asked.... that's another story. smile

Jan 16 06 01:08 pm Link

Model

Brandy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

John:
Glad it worked out for you, but you got to quit the nasty habit, you're to good to loose to lung cancer. Seriously, give it up!

Believe me... I've been telling him to give up this habit for nearly two years now... tells you how stubborn he is...

Jan 16 06 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Brandy wrote:
Believe me... I've been telling him to give up this habit for nearly two years now... tells you how stubborn he is...

I've been seriously trying.

Jan 16 06 10:37 pm Link