Forums > General Industry > a quotation for "I don't do TFP" people

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Charles F. Kettering wrote:
Keep on going and the chances are you will stumble on something, perhaps when you are least expecting it. I have never heard of anyone stumbling on something sitting down.

Art requires practice.

Jan 14 06 11:52 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

I'm inspired.  I think I will go change the world today.

Jan 14 06 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

DFournier-Photography

Columbia, Maryland, US

Damned right.

This is my own policy for TFWhatever:

I don't charge models to shoot with me (neither do I shoot with models who I don't feel have the potential to add to my portfolio).

I don't pay models to shoot with me (unless I intend the images to be a direct source of income).

Models are not the source of money.
Photographers are not the source of money.
Clients are the source of money!  (Occasionally the photographer is the client and occasionally the model is the client but that has nothing to do with TFWhatever).

This is my own policy based on my own experiences, markets and working situation.  It isn't a model for everyone and I really don't care if anyone likes it or not.  It makes sense for me.

Jan 14 06 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I could stand to get paid for my practice. wink

Jan 14 06 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Dave,
I'm borrowing those words. Mind?

Jan 14 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

DFournier-Photography

Columbia, Maryland, US

Chip Morton wrote:
Dave,
I'm borrowing those words. Mind?

Have at em!  Make them better if you can. 

I love your portfolio by the way.  Great stuff, it resonates with me.

Jan 14 06 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
I'm inspired.  I think I will go chnage the world today.

Damn, I spent all day yesterday getting it the way I wanted it.

Jan 14 06 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I am missing your point.  Are you saying that I should stop getting paid for my work and spend my time practicing?

Jan 14 06 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

DFournier-Photography

Columbia, Maryland, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
I am missing your point.  Are you saying that I should stop getting paid for my work and spend my time practicing?

If you are able to push your craft forward with your paid work then I'd say no you don't need to spend time practicing.  In my experience however my clients are not looking for me to be experimental or particularly innovative - they have seen what I have done and they want some of that for their project.

Soooooooo I choose to devote some of my SPARE time to TFWhatever in order to fill out niches of my portfolio, experiment and work on personal projects.

Make sense to you?  I think you could have come up with an answer to your own question if you didn't want to rattle some cages.

Jan 14 06 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Photofurnace wrote:
Make sense to you?  I think you could have come up with an answer to your own question if you didn't want to rattle some cages.

Actually, I wanted to rattle some cages, in a gentle way.

There is nothing wrong with TFP and for those who want to do it, I am all in favor of it.  Done properly, both parties benefit and you can work on your skills.

But the point of your post was to find a way to chastise those who don't do TFP.  For me it has nothing to do with money.  The fact is that if a model asks me to shoot her, and I have time, I will always do it to be nice.  Bear in mind though, if I am shooting her because she asked, I am shooting what she wants.

In terms of my craft, I have plenty of opportunities to improve my skills.  Often times clients come up with concepts that challenge my abilities.  I also shoot a lot of stock.  Most of it is sold to a group of repeat clients that buy particular things.

I will often shoot what I call "safe stock" meaning things I know I can sell.  Afterwards, I shoot things that I want, either to experiment, to try new techniques or simply to take a chance on a concept.  The point though is that I do this on my dime.  For me, I prefer to pay models, not do TFP.  I pay them even when I am working for my own benefit without a specific client.  I do that because when I am paying, I have no artistic obligations to the model.  I may give them a few prints, but I have control over what I am doing.

I rattled your cage for a reason.  There are basically three concepts for photography.  A photographer (either directly or as a surrogate through his client) pays talent to shoot.  There is TFP.  Finally, there are photographers that want to be paid for their services.  Your remarks are directed at the former or the latter.

For those of us who pay, it is a cost of doing business.  For me this is a business.  So while I am happy to shoot a model for free if I have time, for my purposes, I do and always will pay models for their time.

For those photographers that wish to be paid to shoot a model's book, what you are suggesting is that they forgo their fee.  That may be appropriate at some times, but ... then you get into the slippery slope of why did you charge this girl and do the other for free?  That is a personal decision.

There are many ways to hone your skills without doing TFP.  If one chooses to do TFP, that is fine, proper and I have no problems with that.  But to frame a thread berating those, who are successful with other modus operandi, that is off the mark.

So while I understand your point, I will continue my policy.  If a model is shooting for me, she will get paid.  If I am asked to shoot a model, and decide that I will do it, then it is a favor and I expect nothing in return.

Good shooting and thank you for starting the thread.

Jan 14 06 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

DFournier-Photography

Columbia, Maryland, US

Well I'm not the originator of the post and you were not really replying to me so I should probably be shutting up but thats not my style!

I really appreciated your comments.  They were right on the money and much more clear than what I was trying to say.  Of course I was speaking from the perspective of someone one does things "the other way."

Anyway, well said.

Jan 14 06 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Photofurnace wrote:
Well I'm not the originator of the post so I should probably do more shutting up but thats not my style!

I really appreciated your comments.  They were right on the money and much more clear than what I was trying to say.  Of course I was saying from the perspective of someone one does things "the other way."

Anyway, well said.

You're right and I apologize.  I thought you were the OP.  I have no problems with the thread.  I just wanted to make a point.

Thanks for the reply.

Jan 14 06 03:56 pm Link

Model

Amanda Jeanne

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I think its pretty crazy when models expect to get paid by a photographer to shoot them. Lots of agencies out there - when you start they say "okay great, now all you need to do is pay a small fee (which is usually several hundred dollars) to get some headshots done". As far as models without agencies, they always used to have to find a local photographer that would give them a decent price for prints. I feel damn lucky to get prints for free.

As far as paid work goes, its when I'm doing work for a company (L'Oreal, Redken, etc). In that case both me AND the photographer get paid by the company for our work and time. I wouldn't ever approach the photographer asking for my pay check. Unfortunately, in cases like this I never get any copies of my photos, but I guess its understandable.

Jan 14 06 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Amanda Jeanne wrote:
I think its pretty crazy when models expect to get paid by a photographer to shoot them.

Does that mean I should stop paying models?

I think what you really mean to say that you don't expect to be paid by photographers who aren't either getting paid themselves or are otherwise going to make money off of the images.

I suppose I could stop paying my models and make more money, but somehow that does not seem fair.

Jan 14 06 04:14 pm Link

Model

Amanda Jeanne

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

haha no, don't stop paying your models - I don't think they would appreciate my input here.

I guess I thought (but didn't type out) that generally these types of girls I've met are the ones who contact photographers themselves, as well. I think in order to get paid for work, you need a bit of experience behind you but that's just my opinion. I know girls who are actresses and need headshots and ask me which photographers will pay THEM to get their headshots. I guess it's worth a try...

Obviously I would love to get paid for any and all work, but I'm not about to start contacting people on this site with my rates.

Jan 14 06 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

Les Sterling

Palm Springs, California, US

Photofurnace wrote:
Clients are the source of money!  (Occasionally the photographer is the client and occasionally the model is the client but that has nothing to do with TFWhatever).

This is my own policy based on my own experiences, markets and working situation.  It isn't a model for everyone and I really don't care if anyone likes it or not.  It makes sense for me.

Thank you for posting this - I hope more people on here pay attention to what you're saying.

Jan 14 06 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Photofurnace wrote:
Damned right.

This is my own policy for TFWhatever:

I don't charge models to shoot with me (neither do I shoot with models who I don't feel have the potential to add to my portfolio).

I don't pay models to shoot with me (unless I intend the images to be a direct source of income).

Why can't a model be a client?  If they offer money would you turn it down?

Jan 14 06 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

DFournier-Photography

Columbia, Maryland, US

DigitalCMH wrote:

You really are missing the point.  Of COURSE I wouldn't turn down money!  Well actually I might but its not bloody likely!

Jan 14 06 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

DigitalCMH wrote:

There are plenty of photographers in L.A. and NYC (plus lesser numbers in some other markets) that make their entire living shooting headshots or portfolios.

There is nothing wrong with a model hiring a photographer, and at the agency level, it isn't uncommon at all.

The problem is that on the web, TFP is the norm, but not money.

Jan 14 06 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

I think many people put "sorry, not accepting tfp/cd right now, except w/ exceptional photographers who can add to my portfolio", simply to weed out the hundreds of emails that say "wanna tfp/cd ???"

If they are hitting you up, then it's a different deal, either they pay you, or like Alan said, you make a decision to do it tfp/cd...

When they put this on their portfolio page, it gives them an easy way out of having to decline someone's work that they don't want to do. I mean, it's more polite to say, "sorry, didn't you see that I'm not doing tfp/cd right now ???", rather than, "get lost jerk, I don't want to shoot w/ you - your portfolio sucks"...  Ok, now that's 2 extremes & there are many fine answers inbetween, but it does make it easier for models (who probably get hit up 20x's more than photographers) to decline w/ an easy escape, w/o being on the crass side of things...

It can backfire though, if they want to get a lot of new images, practice, etc., but hey, that's their decision - right ???

Paul

Jan 14 06 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Amanda Jeanne wrote:
I think its pretty crazy when models expect to get paid by a photographer to shoot them. Lots of agencies out there - when you start they say "okay great, now all you need to do is pay a small fee (which is usually several hundred dollars) to get some headshots done". As far as models without agencies, they always used to have to find a local photographer that would give them a decent price for prints. I feel damn lucky to get prints for free.

As far as paid work goes, its when I'm doing work for a company (L'Oreal, Redken, etc). In that case both me AND the photographer get paid by the company for our work and time. I wouldn't ever approach the photographer asking for my pay check. Unfortunately, in cases like this I never get any copies of my photos, but I guess its understandable.

Now these are spoken words from a REAL model smile

Jan 14 06 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

A. H A M I L T O N

Coventry, England, United Kingdom

Every arrangement is valid, has it's place, and is perfectly acceptable.

I started to list out various arrangements and their place and quite honestly, after about 25 I realized I wasn't even a quarter done...

Suffice it to say that every situation imaginable comes into play in the industry, the REAL industry. 

The problem (although I don't really consider it a problem, mostly it's just amusing) is that every photographer who's been shooting as a hobby for a couple of months, or even years thinks that every net model should start paying them, or at least, understand that they are lucky to have a chance to shoot with said photographer and be willing to do it for free.

Seriously, why should it bother you?  If you aren't going to pay models, simply keep looking for ones that will do TFP for you.  If your work is good enough, you'll attract plenty of good talent.  If it's not, then shoot with mediocre talent until you're good enough, or consider paying someone for their time.  Why there's a thread every couple of days about it is what people should really be complaining about.

Andy

Jan 14 06 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

A. H A M I L T O N wrote:
Seriously, why should it bother you?

Because I see people who say that on their profiles and their work is uninspired drivel. As Dickens wrote and Marley stated, "humanity is my business." I don't like seeing people do things just to get by, contributing little and demanding much. I feel as a culture if we let people live in that way then we are contributing to the errosion of our society as a whole. It's a community site and I want to see commitment to passion in the work displayed.

Jan 14 06 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Amanda Jeanne wrote:
haha no, don't stop paying your models - I don't think they would appreciate my input here.

I guess I thought (but didn't type out) that generally these types of girls I've met are the ones who contact photographers themselves, as well. I think in order to get paid for work, you need a bit of experience behind you but that's just my opinion. I know girls who are actresses and need headshots and ask me which photographers will pay THEM to get their headshots. I guess it's worth a try...

Obviously I would love to get paid for any and all work, but I'm not about to start contacting people on this site with my rates.

Whats that?-cups hand to ear-
Did I hear you say you are moving to California? Sacramento to be specific smile

Jan 14 06 09:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Ched wrote:

Art requires practice.

you're making an assumption that people are not working at paid jobs and rather sitting around....most people that wont do unpaid testing I assume have real paid work...

When one works full time in the business for pay would that be considered constant practice or would they still need to do TFP in your opinion?

Jan 14 06 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Ched wrote:
Art requires practice.

I thought it just had to be black and white to be art. Will you guys quit changing the rules on me just when I think I understand everything?!?

GWC!

Jan 14 06 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

A. H A M I L T O N

Ched wrote:
Because I see people who say that on their profiles and their work is uninspired drivel.

But not all apparently?  So there are some people who say that you don't feel that way about?

Certainly your qualified to judge the community as a whole then?

I don't do TFP, I guess I fit into your qualifications then, but what the hey.

/shrug

You live in one of the top 10 cities in the freaking WORLD for photographic opportunity.  Artistic, fashion, editorial, whatever you want, country, if not the world is literally right at your feet.

Yet you come here and complain that some diva doesn't want to work with you because you won't pay her?  Presented with that dilemma you have a few choices.  1) Pay her and get the person you want to complete your groovy dream.  2) Move on and find the next person who feels differently.  Or 3)  Complain about it here.

Two of the above three accomplish the artistic purpose you prescribe to, one does not.  Why choose that one?

Andy

Jan 15 06 12:02 am Link

Photographer

A. H A M I L T O N

That sounded a little more harsh than I meant it.  That was meant to come off as a wake up call, not a flame.

Looking at history, those who change society do it by becoming shining examples...NOT by telling everyone what they're doing is wrong.

Andy

Jan 15 06 12:04 am Link

Photographer

ChrisChris

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

as long as you're not in a big band, backed up by a label with a nice budget,  that's in need of an album cover I only work TFP.
always have.. always will... if you think that that means that i'm less serious, less productive and less capable of bringing you the shots... well....  think again.

Jan 15 06 05:23 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Ched wrote:

Because I see people who say that on their profiles and their work is uninspired drivel. As Dickens wrote and Marley stated, "humanity is my business." I don't like seeing people do things just to get by, contributing little and demanding much. I feel as a culture if we let people live in that way then we are contributing to the errosion of our society as a whole. It's a community site and I want to see commitment to passion in the work displayed.

I guess I don't understand.  The majority of the people on these forums are involved in photography not as their vocation, but either as a hobby or an avocation.

For you, photography is about taking pictures, not making a living.  Those with uninspiring pictures aren't making a living either.  Their level of satisfaction is something else.

You shouldn't let it bother you.  People approach photography for different reasons.  I don't need to do TFP to learn how to use a camera.

Jan 15 06 09:06 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

AAAARGHHHHHHHH. Okay, I feel better, I just needed to add that.

Jan 15 06 09:12 am Link

Photographer

f-alan

Detroit, Alabama, US

I shoot many models for pay,  But luckily, I have never had a scource of income that was the model.  The model and I are both hired by the same producer.  You see, its the people with the project that the money comes from.   Model's rarely have what we photographer need to live off our craft.

Unless you are one of those "model photographers" that are doing full portfolios and nonsense like that to all the newcomers in the game.

Jan 15 06 09:20 am Link

Photographer

Ceehawk Multimedia

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

Ched wrote:

Art requires practice.

Amen, hallelujah and pass the chicken!!!

Jan 15 06 09:35 am Link

Photographer

ChrisChris

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Ched wrote:
Art requires practice.

Art requires some portions of intellect but above all it requires heart, soul and a strong urge to change things and to say something to others.

Jan 15 06 09:48 am Link

Photographer

House of Indulgence

New York, New York, US

I have TFP'd my @ss off in 2005. I as booked almost every weekend with models. I learned more that I ever have. But at this point I am concentrating on more paid  work. Some of the TFP was for magazine submissions and tearsheets. But I want cash now.

I will still do TFP but I want to do it with my ideas and with what I want to experiment with. Not shooting girls who think it would be neat to dress a certain way or thhin it would be coll to have a certain outfit on. Each shoot needs a purpose and an outcome. Not just shooting TFP cuz it is fun.

Too many models want TFP to get quantity of shots. Thhey don't care about the quality. To me it is quality to strengthen the portfolio or to try a new thing.

So YES to TFP. But only to LIMITED TFP. The difference is huge.

Jan 15 06 09:49 am Link

Photographer

f-alan

Detroit, Alabama, US

House of Indulgence wrote:
I have TFP'd my @ss off in 2005. I as booked almost every weekend with models. I learned more that I ever have. But at this point I am concentrating on more paid  work. Some of the TFP was for magazine submissions and tearsheets. But I want cash now.

I will still do TFP but I want to do it with my ideas and with what I want to experiment with. Not shooting girls who think it would be neat to dress a certain way or thhin it would be coll to have a certain outfit on. Each shoot needs a purpose and an outcome. Not just shooting TFP cuz it is fun.

Too many models want TFP to get quantity of shots. Thhey don't care about the quality. To me it is quality to strengthen the portfolio or to try a new thing.

So YES to TFP. But only to LIMITED TFP. The difference is huge.

Very good post.

Jan 15 06 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:

There are plenty of photographers in L.A. and NYC (plus lesser numbers in some other markets) that make their entire living shooting headshots or portfolios.

There is nothing wrong with a model hiring a photographer, and at the agency level, it isn't uncommon at all.

The problem is that on the web, TFP is the norm, but not money.

I'm getting tired of all the threads people start bitching about TFP.  Honestly, what OTHER people do is really no one else's businesses.  But some people here, not necessarily in this thread but in the past, always sound so angry.  Like other people are ruining the industry.  It's not being ruined, it's changing.  Just like auto-workers getting replaced by machinery.  You either adapt to it or not.  Whining won't get you anywhere.  Alan, you seem to have most the wisdom around here and it's great that you share it.  Hopefully those that don't understand will finally understand.  But there will be those that...well, they are always looking for their cheese. wink

Jan 15 06 09:53 am Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

i like it when the model has bad TFP photos or better yet webcam pics and say "no tfp, only accepting paid assignments".  I was always under the impression that if you are building for your portfolio, that like other models that go to big agencies, you will pay a photographer, and you will pay the mua, and you will pay the stylists.  ~shrugs~ am I wrong?

Jan 15 06 09:53 am Link

Photographer

Ceehawk Multimedia

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

Nikki S. wrote:
i like it when the model has bad TFP photos or better yet webcam pics and say "no tfp, only accepting paid assignments".

I see this all the time.  It makes me laugh.

Jan 15 06 10:02 am Link

Photographer

ChristianBehr

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Okay... those of you who love the tfp arrangement, get your sneakers on.  Since you'll be stomping as you pace in front of the screen after reading this... you might as well be comfortable.

Most TFP's are worthless. 

TFP Photographers:  When there's nothing on the line - there's no reason to push further towards a goal of something better.  Photographers seem to do the same old thing with yet another model to get the "oooh" and "ahhhhh" they once did from a girl that didn't know any better.  TFP for some GWC's is a way to save a bucket full of $1.00 bills at the strip club.   Further, there's a reason the model isn't asking for money.... she knows ( just like the tfp photographer ) she isn't worth money.  Her skills are as sharp as theirs... and the predictable outcome is that something is lacking or horrible, but neither knows what it is... and neither care.  They both load the images and cluelessly sabotage themselves.  New photographers, your skills aren't strong enough to stand on their own, pay a strong face to help you along.  A good model can make a bad photographer look better, and can teach you tricks she's learned along the way.

TFP Models:  You do what you did, you'll get what you got.  Ever notice that your last tfp only qualified you for another tfp?  They instruct the model into learned behaviors which have to be undone when a model finally finds qualified people.  Ever take your book to the agencies?  That expression you saw as they paged through your tfp book.... did you note that it's the same expression they would have if you waved a plate of poop under their noses?  Did the images on the wall or on the agency cards look like the ones in your book?  The reason they don't is that agencies have a group of photographers that are worth paying... and the agencies and models do pay.  There's a difference between photographers who got to shoot with an agency girl - and a photographer that collects a check from the agency.  One new face director said it perfectly, " We love many, but pay few."  Models, seek the people who are collecting the checks.  Pay those people.  You'll learn more in one day than a hundred tfp's.  You'll increase your value to those who want to shoot you and start earning money rather than just getting another tfp... and you may just end up working with an agency that the photographer is tight with.  The smart models are always improving their books - again, with agency paid shooters.  What's more, is how many of you models get screwed on commercial deals that you should be paid for.  Catalogs tfp?  Calendars for tfp?  Those are things that should be paid for.  It's likely you signed away your paycheck for a $2.00 print or CD.  Make no mistake - the check was given... to the photographer.  He cashed it and is counting it while you wait for your pictures.  I've heard enough of it to know that you "models" don't know what should and should not be paid work.  Anyone saying a semi-naked calendar is good exposure... is ready to cash your check.  If it's a really good shooter - take the time to ask what the release includes and what his plans are for the image.  How many "models" end up on pay porn sites - and ended up there thinking they were shooting something like the Calvin Klein campaign.

I'm sure that some people are steamed right now. 

Here's my theory:  An internet economy could begin when we all say goodbye to tfp.  Models would start by finding shooters that do what they want to be doing.  They pay qualified people to start the book in the right direction.  Photographer sees the model doing what the photographer is hoping to do, so he pays the model to build his book, which eventually gets his work qualified to be paid for.  Models have money to travel and build their book.  Photographers have money to build their book and gear.  Even when it's a small amount of money... people progress.  Photographers and models start shooting for good clients and magazines... what a wonderful world.  When everyone goes away with nothing... who benefits? 

Whew... I'm spent.  Then again, who is John Galt?

Jan 15 06 10:13 am Link