Forums > General Industry > A N T M ever notice how the heavy girl never wins

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Kayeanda wrote:

*booty models???* Thats hilarious...Maybe I missed something ..lol..Ive never seen a plus size model , model in so called "booty mags" ..lol..I thought they wanted fit girls that have nice breasts and butts..loll This is just funny

What books are you looking at?

Jan 14 06 07:57 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

CamelaC

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

I friggin loved that shot and actually said" about f*ckin time, OMP!" when I saw that image of the day that day.

I love it!! It beats my Thanksgiving Day, Image of the Day!! LOL

Jan 14 06 12:33 pm Link

Model

Jerica

Dallas, Texas, US

Deadly Design Make-up wrote:
So I have been a true fan and I have watched every eposode  of all of the seasons of americas next top model. And in all of the seasons theres been a heavier girl ( you go girl !!!) who gets onto the show and then after a couple of episodes they are gone, Whats up with that. I think this just another sterotipial  the modeling world  thing, that you have to be skinny to be a "real model" . Personally I am sick of all the 6 fool 90 pound girls with no curves. I love the new Dove adds with the real curvy women in their underwear. I think  that if there s another season of ANTM  we all should vote for the big girl and protest when she gets the boot. any other comments?

The heavier girls haven't stepped up and shown that they deserve to be there. Both Toccara and Diane started out with these larger then life attitudes, and they made a presence, but as the shows went on they because introverted. They deserved to go when they went. If I can get some weight off I would love to try out for that show in august. Might not make it as far, but I wouldn't fade into the background either.

Jan 15 06 02:12 pm Link

Model

Lenora Jayne

New York, New York, US

Rebecca Alsbury wrote:
I honestly don't think that when you see a young girl struggling in a hospital, attached to tubes to feed her, that she will tell you that she starved herself simply because she wanted to, or because of problems with her family. It is more likely, that this sick young woman will tell you that she starved herself because she wanted to look just like the ultra-thin models she saw on the catwalks or in the high fashion magazines. I personally feel that if plus size models were given more of a chance to actually be in the spotlight, to be on the catwalks, then there would be fewer cases of young women and men dying from anorexia and bulemia.

The human brain has an incredible amount of defense mechanisms built in, and one of these, is the reflex to avoid harm and the tendency towards preservation. It takes a LOT for a person to override this complex enough to consider starving themselves or self-induced vomiting as a rational way to lose weight.

I'm so tired of everyone blaming eating disorders on the fashion industry or the gullibility of teenage girls. Most girls understand or realize that fashion models are an unattainable example of beauty and that even if they were to lose weight, they would still never look like a runway model. There are usually underlying problems and issues that cause someone to develop an eating disorder, rather than the superficial desire to just look good.

Yes, it is a fact that designers make their clothes to fit the taller, thinner group of individuals in the world. Does this necessarily make it right? ...If everyone knows that this isn't how the clothes will look on "real" people, then why do they insist on doing it?

Fashion designers aren't looking to portray a "real life" example of how clothing will look on a person, fashion is all about fantast. Designers want to best display the clothing to it's own advantage. On tall, thin models, the clothing  will fall in a straight, smooth line (no "bumps" caused by breasts or stomachs) and will flow when in motion on the catwalk. Tall, streamlined models lend a straight visual line along which the eye travels, undistracted and unhindered by any excess body. Although fashion is partially hinged on what the current "body type" is in season, it's also all about your clothing being seen in the most flattering light, with the least outside distraction. Designers don't want the models to be the focus of their shows, but the clothing.

Even though there basically isn't a place for plus size women in the high fashion world, there darn well should be. I think that if a designer were to cater more to the "real" woman, then sales would sky rocket.

Most high fashion designers cater not to thin people, but to the people who can afford their clothing. And that target market is a very wide range, depending on the label. Their clothes are intended for a range of body types, they do not only exist on one set sample size.

I think that if more people realized that big can be beautiful, then there would probably be fewer people in the world with low self-esteem.

Low self-esteem isn't caused solely by poor body image, there are other reasons as well.

(Ahhh, I apologize Rebecca for going after only your points... these are just really common gripes about the fashion industry that I hate hearing as a student who is majoring in Fashion Design)

Jan 15 06 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Brandon Ching

Brooklyn, New York, US

CassandraLorien wrote:
Please just get over yourselves and this obsession with trying to make people that don’t fit in, fit in.

Amen to that!

I'm 5'9", 155. You don't see me complaining to the NBA to start recruiting people of "normal" height. Likewise, I'm not in the NFL since I'm about 100 pounds shy of being "decent." I'm just not physically cut out to do those things so I accept it.

Complaining about plus sized models not being able to model haute couture, is like complaining why you don't see any 4'10", 85 pound linebackers.

There's a place for everyone's body type and (un)fortunately, high fashion is not some thing just ANYone can get in to.

Jan 16 06 03:49 am Link