Forums > General Industry > A N T M ever notice how the heavy girl never wins

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

So I have been a true fan and I have watched every eposode  of all of the seasons of americas next top model. And in all of the seasons theres been a heavier girl ( you go girl !!!) who gets onto the show and then after a couple of episodes they are gone, Whats up with that. I think this just another sterotipial  the modeling world  thing, that you have to be skinny to be a "real model" . Personally I am sick of all the 6 fool 90 pound girls with no curves. I love the new Dove adds with the real curvy women in their underwear. I think  that if there s another season of ANTM  we all should vote for the big girl and protest when she gets the boot. any other comments?

Jan 11 06 12:11 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Maybe it has nothing to do with her size?

Jan 11 06 12:23 am Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

i'm kinda with you! I was with tocarra the entire way! and after that season, I stopped watching ANTM. I was disappointed, but I was amazed when I saw Black Men's Magazine and Tocarra was on the front! Absolutely gorgeous and knocks them frail things out of the water!  so ^5 I do agree! smile

Maybe I'm bias because I'm a heavy girl myself.  LoL

And I think it has a lot to do with size.  I havent seen any of the new season, but the comments that some of the judges last time made about the heavier girls was just wow!  But then again, I suppose those of us who are not a size 4 should not be interested in fashion, high fashion at that.

Jan 11 06 12:31 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Nikki S. wrote:
But then again, I suppose those of us who are not a size 4 should not be interested in fashion, high fashion at that.

but why not  ?why cant the big and beautiful be high fashion? who made up this rule? and where can i find them so i can beat them with a stick?

Jan 11 06 02:26 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Deadly Design Make-up wrote:

but why not  ?why cant the big and beautiful be high fashion? who made up this rule? and where can i find them so i can beat them with a stick?

bla bla bla because of SAMPLES thats why...

Jan 11 06 02:26 am Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Oops.

Jan 11 06 03:01 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Given that the prize awarded to the winner is a Cover Girl contract, I can't imagine a plus model will win anytime soon.  Cover Girl isn't aggressively marketing to the plus demographic.  (Though I do believe they've used Queen Latifah a time or two.  But her hotness transcends size.)

I think it's cool that they're making a point of including the plus models at all, frankly.  It gives exposure to an area of modeling that most of society doesn't even know exists, and gives girls in that size range a personality in the public eye to identify with that looks like them.  That's all good, to my mind.

Jan 11 06 03:01 am Link

Photographer

Rawson

Massapequa Park, New York, US

https://www.brianrawson.com/post/photo1.jpg

i know one who was winner smile

Jan 11 06 03:16 am Link

Photographer

Rawson

Massapequa Park, New York, US

ahhh just realized this thread was about a tv show... my bad.

Jan 11 06 03:49 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Nikki S. wrote:
I was amazed when I saw Black Men's Magazine and Tocarra was on the front!

I wasn`t. I saw that coming a mile away. I knew from the first episode with her that if she did not win she would be picked up somewhere. It seems black men have a better, wider range of taste when it comes to female size. Look at source, xxl , the hip hop videos,too. You don`t see many tall linky girls, if any.

Jan 11 06 04:20 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Brian Rawson wrote:
https://www.brianrawson.com/post/photo1.jpg

i know one who was winner smile

I friggin loved that shot and actually said" about f*ckin time, OMP!" when I saw that image of the day that day.

Jan 11 06 04:21 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Nemi wrote:

I don't remember which season it was, but there was at least one episode in which the models all went on go-sees and the designers (and this particular model) complained because one model couldn't fit in the clothes.  She was gorgeous, but that's not the entirety of the job.

Jan 11 06 05:18 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Brian Rawson wrote:
ahhh just realized this thread was about a tv show... my bad.

lol

The reason why they will never win on that show is because the show is geared towards fashion models, not video/calendar/booty mag models.

Jan 11 06 05:39 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Nemi wrote:

Exactly! Designers use a standard size mannequin for all their designs. They also want to show off their designs in the best possible way which is tall models with loooong legs, just like in the design illustration. Hence, tall, thin models because they fit the design and the requirements - nothing more.

Jan 11 06 05:54 am Link

Photographer

GregBrown

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

I wasn`t. I saw that coming a mile away. I knew from the first episode with her that if she did not win she would be picked up somewhere. It seems black men have a better, wider range of taste when it comes to female size. Look at source, xxl , the hip hop videos,too. You don`t see many tall linky girls, if any.

I worked on a shoot for SOURCE magazine last year featuring Ludacris, and as the casting was going on the morning of the shoot for the background girls, I overheard the art director say their audience didn't respond well to the tall skinny girls.  We still used one, but, although the other 2 girls weren't large, by any standards... they were probably size 10-12  instead of 4-6....

Jan 11 06 06:14 am Link

Model

Rachel DellaPorte

Montgomery, New York, US

Jeff Fiore wrote:
They also want to show off their designs in the best possible way which is tall models with loooong legs, just like in the design illustration. Hence, tall, thin models because they fit the design and the requirements - nothing more.

Well said!

Simply look at the illustrations that all the clothing designers sketch out - the clothing is "hung" on tall, thin bodies.

Why? Well, when you have a tall, thin body there is nothing that you have to cover. You don't have to cover a bulging belly with a special cut on a jacket..... (just an example)

No matter what cut or style of clothing you put on a very tall, very thin body - it will be okay.

~Rachel

Jan 11 06 06:46 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

GregBrown wrote:
I worked on a shoot for SOURCE magazine last year featuring Ludacris, and as the casting was going on the morning of the shoot for the background girls, I overheard the art director say their audience didn't respond well to the tall skinny girls.  We still used one, but, although the other 2 girls weren't large, by any standards... they were probably size 10-12  instead of 4-6....

smile The thin one was the token thin model,lol. I would love to shoot for Source, XXL and other similar magazines where they use models  whose ribs you can`t count at 100 yards.

Jan 11 06 06:47 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

So I have been a true fan and I have watched every eposode  of all of the seasons of americas next top model. And in all of the seasons theres been a heavier girl ( you go girl !!!) who gets onto the show and then after a couple of episodes they are gone, Whats up with that. I think this just another sterotipial  the modeling world  thing, that you have to be skinny to be a "real model" . Personally I am sick of all the 6 fool 90 pound girls with no curves. I love the new Dove adds with the real curvy women in their underwear. I think  that if there s another season of ANTM  we all should vote for the big girl and protest when she gets the boot. any other comments?

Hey there-

LOVE antm (vh1 by the way, has a marathon on all day sunday...so thankful I'm not shooting!! haha!)- anyway- just touching on last season (I'm addicted to this show) I don't think Diana's weight had anything to do with her being kicked off...she didn't have that punch that some of the other girls had- she seemed to not want it as bad-

As a plus size model, Diana needed to have the smile and work from that- but she didn't seem happy during the competition, and I'm not sure had they given her extra time could she have been as "bam" as some of the other girls. All I saw in her was a pretty everyday face- she just didn't pop for me.

But, on the other hand, I'm not sure they would pick a plus sized girl because if you see how much they gear the girls for high fashion- it seems you have to be tall and skinny- the clothes just hang better- and it's about selling the product that they want to sell- they want to sell clothes that look best hanging on tall thing girls- but that's just my opinion...

-D-

Jan 11 06 08:29 am Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

High fashion loves jutting ribcages and long skinny legs.  It's the industry.....it's not made for everyone. 

I don't think there will ever be a plus size winner on ANTM and if there is then it's fixed.  How many plus size models do you see walking the catwalk during fashion week?  If you email or name just a few don't think that just because the 1% that you name that anyone can be the exception to the rule!

Jan 11 06 08:58 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

I don't watch the show. I agree that the skinny/tall girls are who will win in the end, but that doesn't bother me. It's the dramatization and glamour aspect of the entire show that doesn't sit well with me. People think that's what it takes to break in, but that's just a show. Not the reason I don't watch it, I'm just not interested. They should have America's Next Top Photographer.....

Jan 11 06 09:02 am Link

Model

Viki G

To be fair, the winner from season 3, Eva, was only 5'7" which is short for haute couture. It takes time.

- Viki

Jan 11 06 11:37 am Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

Actually on the reunion show this cycle, Tyra asked Diane if she thought that a plus-size girl could win. Diane said something like "before I was on the show, yes, but now that I've been on the show, no" Tyra replied that for a plus-size girl to win she would have to be "perfect" in her shoots, attitude, look, confidence, etc. and not give the judges a single reason to want to boot her.

Jan 11 06 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:
They should have America's Next Top Photographer.....

I've been thinking about pitching that idea.

Jan 11 06 01:03 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

I'm sorry but...duh? This is a TV show! And, in reality, they are not going to have 'the big girl' win. Sorry. If they do, you can resurrect this thread and make me eat my shorts.

BTW...look at my measurements...I would be considered a 'big girl' too by their standards.

My brother is in the airforce. He cannot be a pilot. Why? His vision is not naturally 20/15...it can be adjustable, but they have so many people to pick from, they only pick the ones with the best vision.

Same with modeling. If they can pick from so many people who fit thier standards, why would they deviate?

Jan 11 06 01:09 pm Link

Model

Nola

Austin, Indiana, US

Okay first off I have to say I'm kind of of embarassed that I religiously watched every episode of Amercas next top model last season...ughh..  But, since I know too much about it, I'll share my knowledge.  So, in the season I watched there was this girl who was a plus sized model and the whole time I was watching it I knew they were gonna kick her off. I was just waiting until they had some lame reason to send her home (like..You didn't give it your all today... or some crap) so they didn't have to just say, You're too fat.  She was a gorgeous girl though. 

So, then after the last episode they had a little "reunion" episode.  Where they got all the girls together and made them watch footage of themselves being complete bitches and then they had to face eachother and talk about how everyone was "cool" now.  At one point Tyra Banks talked to the heavier of the girls (who of course, got cut before the top 5 i believe).  She asked her if she thought that a plus sized model could win ANTP.  And the girl says" well i thought maybe when I first started the show, but now I don't think it's possible".  Tyra Banks then went on to say that she was probably right and how really they were looking for a reason to cut her for awhile (other than her weight) but it was difficult becuase she was such a good model and really didn't have any issues at all.  Ohhh boy, in conclusion, NO plus sized models CAN'T win it.  It's impossibly, we all know it, that girl knows it, Tyra Banks knows it.  Maybe they'll change things up if their ratings are really bad or something and they need some attention.  I thought she should have won.

Jan 11 06 01:17 pm Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

Well I suppose that slimmer models wouldnt know that the fashion world does exist for a plus size model. wink  There are plus fashion shows... there are agencies that do cater to plus models. 

And who's to say that just because you are plus model, you have to be in a booty mag or some hookerish video? Maybe I'm taking it the wrong way, but my friend Sara Beth is the perfect example of a plus model who will never be a video "hoe" or in a booty mag.

[img src="http://img1.modelmayhem.com/060108/19/43c1c25b3e0bb_m.jpg"]
[img src="http://img1.modelmayhem.com/060109/18/43c30079b69b0_m.jpg"]
[img src="http://img1.modelmayhem.com/060109/18/43c300a0a2a5b_m.jpg"]

Sara Beth is a size 14 at 5'8".  So you mean to tell me that if she applied for ANTM she shouldnt have a chance just because the industry can only fit straight sized models?

Jan 11 06 01:20 pm Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

Jeff Fiore wrote:
Exactly! Designers use a standard size mannequin for all their designs. They also want to show off their designs in the best possible way which is tall models with loooong legs, just like in the design illustration. Hence, tall, thin models because they fit the design and the requirements - nothing more.

well what about lane bryant and their plus size mannequins?

Jan 11 06 01:22 pm Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

RachelCWhittemore wrote:

Well said!

Simply look at the illustrations that all the clothing designers sketch out - the clothing is "hung" on tall, thin bodies.

Why? Well, when you have a tall, thin body there is nothing that you have to cover. You don't have to cover a bulging belly with a special cut on a jacket..... (just an example)

No matter what cut or style of clothing you put on a very tall, very thin body - it will be okay.

~Rachel

why put clothing on someone that only represents a small percentage of the american woman?  wouldnt it make more sense to use all shapes, heights and sizes seeing as how no two women are alike?  Maybe I just see it different being plus size.  And not all plus girls have a bulging belly.  Plus in this industry begins @ a size 10-12...so you mean to tell me that they have a bulging belly?

Jan 11 06 01:25 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Nikki S. wrote:

well what about lane bryant and their plus size mannequins?

Don't get me started on that.....
Regular mannequins are proportioned like barbies, not regular people.
Plus size mannequins are proportioned like regular people, NOT plus size people.

Jan 11 06 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Phoenixtear

Hoover, Alabama, US

I watch this show, and I've also picked up Britain and Australias version; those are good too. I do wonder if we'll ever see it be turned around and make it for guys competing?  I doubt they would do that, but I think it would be still cool to watch if they did smile

As far as the plus size models on the show go, I feel really bad for them because you just "know" that they're going to be kicked off, so why put them through that to get their hopes up sad Its not right.

~ Justin

Jan 11 06 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

i can hear thews arguments now

"he is not a good photographer he used photoshop. I am a purist i use whet plats and i have to mix my own chemicals" or NIKON IS BETTER THAN CANNION so there. your both wrong nether of you are good because you use 35mm not large format. bob is such a bad photographer he uses a digital camera he is such a loser.

Jan 11 06 01:41 pm Link

Model

Sara Beth

New York, New York, US

Hello all...I see that Niki gave me a shout out on here...and she's right. I'm size 14, and I'm 5'8. And I'm going to apply for ANTM...do I think I will win? I think that I have a unique look that will take me far....but I remember when Tocarra was on the show, Tyra said all a plus sized model could hope for was exposure. So that's what's I'm going for....and Tocarra is, in large part, a household name (not on the level of Tyra or Giselle or someone like that...but she certainly has had exposure)....

So, I'm going to apply. And if you see me on there, wish me luck and good exposure!

Sara

Jan 11 06 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

nathan combs wrote:

i can hear thews arguments now

"he is not a good photographer he used photoshop. I am a purist i use whet plats and i have to mix my own chemicals" or NIKON IS BETTER THAN CANNION so there. your both wrong nether of you are good because you use 35mm not large format. bob is such a bad photographer he uses a digital camera he is such a loser.

lol, on a show like that, the end result would be judged.

Jan 11 06 01:51 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Ok so I have created some dialogue and thats a good thing.  I guess I was just wondering why they would put a heavy girl on the show just to cut her why not be honest and say look we are only taking those who can fit into the designers samples. ect ect ect,

and when I said this I didnt mean who acctually said it , i ment why do we accept this. Why is this allowed in a society thats so concious of being PC all the time.
Why dont we put our foot down and say hell NO .
I know that everyone has their own reasons and maybe if you are "the designer sample size" then you disagree but if you are a girl with more curves why cant you be a super model too and not just know as a plus sized model, why do we have a seperate term for them , why cant they just be a maodel. we dont have a catagory for the very skinny model its only when they dip out side of that "model" body and become plus sized that we catoragrize them differntly, ohh and i think its kinda funny how some ppl  have made comments like because the size is the sample size ect ect ect , why is the sample size the size it is  and why do designer draw their designs the way they do, the average real woman is a size 12 , Marlin Monroe was a size 14 , why dont we still priase "big girls" the way we did in the 40's and 50's . And please dont just say becaue this is the new melenium or times have changed.

Jan 11 06 01:52 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Phoenixtear wrote:
As far as the plus size models on the show go, I feel really bad for them because you just "know" that they're going to be kicked off, so why put them through that to get their hopes up sad Its not right.

~ Justin

Exactly why put them through it if they wont win or even make the top 5 . I think its awful how they do this on a show thats supposed to pick the best because of who she is , they say that all the time that they like a great personality not just a prity face.

Jan 11 06 01:56 pm Link

Model

Sara Beth

New York, New York, US

Ps. The average woman in America is a size 12-14, and yes I kno, they want tall skinny girls to show off the clothes. That makes sense...but what's sad is that America has made it a standard for beauty...it used to be that models were Amazon type women, with curves and real bodies...and now celebrities are starving themselves to death to look like who? Models. models who are technically really weird looking (i'm not trying to offend anyone)...but think about it. Are human beings supposed to be 6'0, 115 pounds? Hell no....and that is why they are few and far between, and also why modeling is elite.

I'm a real world, type model...I would do high fashion in a heartbeat if given the chance, but I'm realistic. I'm more likely to be on a McDonald's commerical than I am walking the runways for huate coture...

Jan 11 06 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

i wont to be on a realty show so if any one starts one about photographers let me know i wont to be on a realty show because i would get to set in a jucuse and drink all the free beer i could

so what if i got kicked out after a weak i got free beer
who needs a 1mill$$ i got free beer
the place was full of hot chicks in thongs i got free beer
when every one is stabbing every one in the back i would get free beer

i think you know what i am getting at lol ;->

Jan 11 06 02:12 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Shyly wrote:
I think it's cool that they're making a point of including the plus models at all, frankly.

I agree.  It's a step in the not-so-stereotypical supermodel direction.  Don't think we can expect a whole lot more than that from the industry at this point.

Jan 11 06 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

personally I would think that winning ANTM would be worse than coming in 2nd or 3rd.
Other than the contract, can you imagine the attitude all of the career models would deal the girl who walks in with the ANTM "banner" around her and thinks, "I'm great, I'm the next top model!"  I bet the girls who have been working at it for a few years would bitch slap her pretty quick if she tried to pull any 'tude on them.  YIKES!!
I do believe there is a place for the "heavier" model, you see them all the time in ad work, but for general runway/fashion, that's not the size the designers build for...

Jan 11 06 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Images By Ijumo

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Sara Beth wrote:
Hello all...I see that Niki gave me a shout out on here...and she's right. I'm size 14, and I'm 5'8. And I'm going to apply for ANTM...do I think I will win? I think that I have a unique look that will take me far....but I remember when Tocarra was on the show, Tyra said all a plus sized model could hope for was exposure. So that's what's I'm going for....and Tocarra is, in large part, a household name (not on the level of Tyra or Giselle or someone like that...but she certainly has had exposure)....

So, I'm going to apply. And if you see me on there, wish me luck and good exposure!

Sara

I would love to see you win Sara Beth.. you are a beautiful woman.. and tru to your later post..closer to the normal for the avg american female body type... GOOD LUCK

Jan 11 06 03:57 pm Link