Forums > Newbie Forum > What should my rates be?

Model

Liz S

Frederick, Maryland, US

I've been asked about my rates. I have no idea what the norm is and need some help in determining this.

Thank You!

Jan 08 08 09:16 pm Link

Model

D Aundra

Fresno, California, US

-
_________

0!!

Jan 08 08 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

Brian T Rickey

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

This is going to be a lovely thread.  smile

Jan 08 08 09:25 pm Link

Model

pretty pleads

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

its whatever you feel your time is worth

Jan 08 08 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Bentley Photography

Westcliffe, Colorado, US

Well, I won't charge you as much today as would normally, because I see you could really use a break.

Jan 08 08 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/stupendousmusician/treefiddy.jpg

Jan 08 08 09:36 pm Link

Model

sofija

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Liz Schafer wrote:
I've been asked about my rates. I have no idea what the norm is and need some help in determining this.

Thank You!

I thought you were trying to get free clothes.

You want free clothes and pay??

Jan 08 08 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

one hundred billion dollars.... mwuhh ha ha ha haaaaa

Jan 08 08 09:51 pm Link

Model

Manda Something

Laurel, Mississippi, US

Jason McKendricks wrote:

lmao

Jan 08 08 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

IBX Pete

Rockingham, North Carolina, US

Jason McKendricks wrote:

You crack me up.

Jan 08 08 10:11 pm Link

Model

Liz S

Frederick, Maryland, US

Thanks for the smart ass comments. You are tons of help.

Jan 09 08 08:35 am Link

Photographer

DVS

Detroit, Michigan, US

I'd but THAt for a dollar...

Jan 09 08 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Carissa Winland

Austin, Texas, US

You're getting so many smart ass comments because you clearly need to do more reading/research into the field. In other words, it's not the best question to ask because it illustrates how little you know.

Jan 09 08 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Xeris - Dwight

Austin, Texas, US

Personal opinion is that you are not ready to charge. You need more experience. And your portfolio needs to exhibit a higher number of top level images.

That said, there are quite often photographers that are willing to pay despite all that. If you run into those photographers, maybe start at at $40 - $50 per hour but be willing to negotiate down from there. Remember that you will almost never be able to negotiate your price upwards.

Jan 09 08 10:13 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

CDW Images wrote:
You're getting so many smart ass comments because you clearly need to do more reading/research into the field. In other words, it's not the best question to ask because it illustrates how little you know.

hmmm...that is what she is doing..once she knows the answer, it would be stupid to post the question.....

Jan 09 08 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Liz Schafer wrote:
Thanks for the smart ass comments. You are tons of help.

Liz, am I missing something here?...did you do something in another thread that would explain all the smart-ass remarks to your question?

Your question is a good one, and as such it is asked quite often. If you used the search feature you'd find tons of threads that may (or may not) help you out.

With that said, I think it might be a bit premature for you to be concerned about what you should charge.
Sure, you might be able to find a few horny guys that would pay to shoot a pretty girl like yourself, but how much will that actually benefit you and your career?
The resulting photos would most likely be useless.

You'll have to use your own judgment when decided how much to charge someone.
And also keep in mind that if you are serious about building a portfolio, as your profile indicates, that you really might be better off paying a couple of really great photographers, rather then try to charge them anything.

The best shooters just aren't going to pay you.

Jan 09 08 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Carissa Winland

Austin, Texas, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

hmmm...that is what she is doing..once she knows the answer, it would be stupid to post the question.....

My point was that this is a tired question and she could easily find the answers by reading first.

Jan 09 08 10:34 am Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

Very true, and I'm glad you said it. You beat me to it.
:-)

Jan 09 08 10:34 am Link

Model

MsHeidi

Jessheim, Akershus, Norway

Whatever the client wants to pay....

And YES I said CLIENT, not photographer

Jan 09 08 10:36 am Link

Photographer

SunArcher Photography

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Liz Schafer wrote:

There is no "norm." See what others are charging in your area (they may tell you, they may not, o they may tell you a false rate). I've seen $25 per hour. I've seen $200 per hour. I've seen models with no hourly rate (they charge by the half- and full-day).

We can't answer this for you, love. There is no "norm" or rate sheet. Set your rate and see how the market reacts to it. That's about as good as I can get.

Jan 09 08 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

I would pay you the following amounts for the following types of work, provided you sign a full release at the time of the shoot. I will give you lowres copies of the images I select and retouch for you use to display on the web. I will also give you a print of each image I select and retouch. I will not give you a CD containing all the images and I will not retouch any image you select unless by coincidence it happens to be an image I select as well.

Lifestyle, fully clothed... $25.00 per hour

Nude Figure Study... $50.00 per hour

Eros, including close up images of body parts... $75.00 per hour

Eros, Partners, including close up images of body parts... $100.00

You holding the strings of your bikini top... priceless

You pick!

Jan 09 08 10:38 am Link

Photographer

JR in Texas

Tulia, Texas, US

Rates for a beginner model can be almost anything, depending mostly on what kind of work and how the photos will be used. For a local store ad you might barely get minimum wage, but if you lucked into a national ad you might get several thousand for essentially the same work.

You've got a good look but a very limited portfolio, so it you're talking about working for local photographers you could try something like $25 to $50 per hour for clothed and lingerie, about double that for nude.

Here's the problem, though. Most of the people who will hire you at this point are beginners or GWCs -- just the kind of work you don't want to see posted online. You may be better off in the long run to pass up the quick bucks and concentrate on building a real portfolio.

Jan 09 08 10:45 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The norm doesn't exist. smile

What you ask for, and what someone is willing to pay for your modelling service(s) ... is your rate. wink

Jan 09 08 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Marty McBride

Owensboro, Kentucky, US

Liz Schafer wrote:

Thank You!

sorry about your luck here...you'll occasionally find a professional willing to help with your question, but for the most part you'll find people content in perfecting their asshole skills instead of their photography skills! Like Dean Johnson said, you'll probably have to start off paying reputable photographers to get the portfolio you need to draw jobs that pay the money!

Jan 09 08 10:48 am Link

Photographer

The Divine Emily Fine

Owings Mills, Maryland, US

Kevlar Vest Girl wrote:
I would pay you the following amounts for the following types of work, provided you sign a full release at the time of the shoot. I will give you lowres copies of the images I select and retouch for you use to display on the web. I will also give you a print of each image I select and retouch. I will not give you a CD containing all the images and I will not retouch any image you select unless by coincidence it happens to be an image I select as well.

You pick!

*jawdrop*

I want this 90 lbs lost from me RIGHT NOW.

Oh, and someone break and stretch my legs so I can be 5'10", too.

Jan 09 08 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Extremem

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

I'll try to avoid being a smartass, but it's really really hard for me.

Depends on the photographer and what you are after.  I usually pay something, first of all it helps encourage the model to show up.

I take it you are sorta new at this.  If a photographer comes to you they are probably going to meet your rate unless it's  ridiculous.

The better your port, the more you can charge.

I've found that the semi standard for nudes is 75-100.00 an hour.  Some models get a lot more.

I've paid 200, but I really wanted the model in my port.  I've also shot TFP nudes.

A good place to start is to email the photographer and ask them if they wish to shoot with you and here are my rates if you do.  No it's not rude to ask for money, if you ask in a professional way.  It's business.  I ask for money  all the time (not from models tho - That reminds me I have court today for this pesky panhandling citation.)

Jan 09 08 10:50 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Doug Swinskey wrote:

CDW Images wrote:
My point was that this is a tired question and she could easily find the answers by reading first.

just because you are tired of reading it, doesn't make her question invalid..
why not help, instead of lobbing grenades?..direct her to one of the many threads...

Jan 09 08 10:52 am Link

Photographer

MEK Photography

Westminster, Maryland, US

ExtremeMojo Photography wrote:
A good place to start is to email the photographer and ask them if they wish to shoot with you and here are my rates if you do.  No it's not rude to ask for money, if you ask in a professional way.  It's business.

This has been discussed to exhaustion in this thread:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/p.php?thread_id=233977

Jan 09 08 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Carissa Winland

Austin, Texas, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

Doug Swinskey wrote:

just because you are tired of reading it, doesn't make her question invalid..
why not help, instead of lobbing grenades?..direct her to one of the many threads...

I can certainly appreciate your unfaltering good will to help others (I bet you're broke from helping the homeless! wink ). I however, prefer to help people who make an attempt to help themselves first before asking (but I can be fickle in this too).

Especially in regards to rates of modeling or photography, while there are many great resources and guidelines, no one can really tell you specifically what to charge since it's all based on a client's (or market) willingness to pay. So really, this entire thread is moot.

Jan 09 08 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Cre8ive

Los Angeles, California, US

Jason McKendricks wrote:

But thats only if you want pics looking like the loch ness monster...

Don't take this the wrong way but I wouldn't pay... You could pay me to help improve your book... Do like I did, Get an Agent and then you don't have to deal with thinking about that stuff.

Brick
Cre8ive
HWooD,Cali

Jan 09 08 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Cliff from NJ

Clinton, New Jersey, US

Kevlar Vest Girl wrote:

Can I get in on this???

Jan 09 08 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Long Island Studios

Sayville, New York, US

Kevlar Vest Girl wrote:

You pick!

I would jump on this if I was you......

It depends on the photographer.

Some one like KVG who is capable of giving you really great images for your portfolio is worth YOU paying. A mid level shooter who is able to get your portfolio to the next level is worth TFxx. A GWC $100 and up if you even want to. Me, I would pay you $25-50hr for nudes. Some one just starting out but is showing promise, $25hr. These are just my thoughts and can be thrown away at will....

Jan 09 08 11:07 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

CDW Images wrote:
I can certainly appreciate your unfaltering good will to help others (I bet you're broke from helping the homeless! wink ). I however, prefer to help people who make an attempt to help themselves first before asking (but I can be fickle in this too).

Especially in regards to rates of modeling or photography, while there are many great resources and guidelines, no one can really tell you specifically what to charge since it's all based on a client's (or market) willingness to pay. So really, this entire thread is moot.

see you had her answer all along...and without having to be mean to her...

Jan 09 08 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Carissa Winland

Austin, Texas, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

I never said I didn't have the answer. Nor was I particularly mean.

Jan 09 08 11:51 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Doug Swinskey wrote:

CDW Images wrote:
I never said I didn't have the answer. Nor was I particularly mean.

my thought was the effort you expended suggesting she was revealing her ignorance, could have been productive by answering her question...

Jan 09 08 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Carissa Winland

Austin, Texas, US

I understand, and concur.

Jan 09 08 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Marty McBride wrote:

sorry about your luck here...you'll occasionally find a professional willing to help with your question, but for the most part you'll find people content in perfecting their asshole skills instead of their photography skills! Like Dean Johnson said, you'll probably have to start off paying reputable photographers to get the portfolio you need to draw jobs that pay the money!

Gee Marty, maybe I'm being harsh here, but did you bother to read any of the posts prior to your scathing rebuke of all that is MM. I gave her a price list, did you want me to send a taxi for her too?

Jan 09 08 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Cliff Evans wrote:

Can I get in on this???

If the OP is willing.

Jan 09 08 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Zanda Photography

ha ha ha ha

Jason McKendricks wrote: