Forums > General Industry > art is dead

Photographer

Jeff Cohn

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Cmon people, i know so many of you are "professional photographers" so that means you have to be utterly boring people that have a good camera and expensive lights but THIS IS AN ARTISTIC MEDIUM TOO...

Show me your most creative shots. Let's see what ya got. Post shots or links to shots, i wanna be inspired here... blow me away and make feel like when i first saw David Lachapple, Jeffery Scott (MM 1980), S. Jenx (MM 3873) or Brian Rawson (MM 1779 ) .... dont be boring, these camera's can do a lot more than "girl+ bikini + beach"...

Jan 07 06 10:43 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Sorry...just a boring asshole photographer...

Jan 07 06 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Alex Mercatali

Forlì, Emilia-Romagna, Italy

I try not to be boring... guess what... I'm not a pro, but for many ppl just an amateur sad

Jan 07 06 10:57 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

I think there is a lot of room for new artistic expression in photography.

check out this article:
Male Nudity and the Realities of War

Jan 07 06 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I instinctively mistrust anyone who calls him or herself an artist.

Jan 07 06 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Cohn

Jay Dezelic wrote:
I think there is a lot of room for new artistic expression in photography.

check out this article:
Male Nudity and the Realities of War

good article. thanks for posting.

Jan 07 06 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Daniel Hice Image Works

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

Jan 07 06 11:11 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Cohn

Brian Diaz wrote:
I instinctively mistrust anyone who calls him or herself an artist.

ok, now explain why? I've looked over your work, id call you an artist.. if you skoffed at me and got offended i'd look at you much the same way my dog looks at the Tv, tilt my head and kinda shrug... so what's this pro backlash against art?

I majored in marketing in college, a big part of which is of course advertising, which is where most pro photographers find their niche of lifes work... however when i was on the otherside putting together ad campaigns, graphic design, brochures, catelogues and such, I still looked for passionate and emotionally moving, artistic and extremely creative INTERESTING imagery, so much of what i see on here from is well shot but not interesting.. i just dont get it.. if you're good at what you shoot, why not be creative? (you are, im saying a lot of others) ... so whose fault is it? is main stream america (or the world even) getting more and more boring for what it demands? or are photographers just going to school and buying the right equiptment, learning the right skills and being accepted without having to have any actual creativity or talent anymore ?

Jan 07 06 11:14 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Jeff Cohn::X-Pose.net:: wrote:
is main stream america (or the world even) getting more and more boring for what it demands?

Yes this and not that other bit

Jan 07 06 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Here's a link to some of my recent artistic works...

http://www.modelplace.com/?op=member&id=3125

For some reason my Deviant Art link doesn't work, grrr!!!
Also check out my artistic gallery on my site...

http://www.rpatrickmohrphotography.net

Art is not dead, just not appreciated by all. Let the visions in your head inspire you as mine inspire me!
Best to you in 2006...

Rich

Jan 07 06 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Cohn

Rich Mohr wrote:
Here's a link to some of my recent artistic works...

http://www.modelplace.com/?op=member&id=3125
Rich

LOVE "Losing my religion" Amazing work.

Now cmon people. more of that, dont just agree art is dead, show me it isnt.

Jan 07 06 11:21 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

LOVE "Losing my religion" Amazing work.

Now cmon people. more of that, dont just agree art is dead, show me it isnt.

What do you want?  I know art isn't dead...you know art isn't dead...it doesn't take much to find art...hell I have a whole page on my site dedicated to my more artistic endeavors....but art isn't what sells.  I hardly ever even get any hits on my art page, much less someone who actually looks at all of it.

Art isn't dead it's just not what people want.

Jan 07 06 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

ok, now explain why? I've looked over your work, id call you an artist.. if you skoffed at me and got offended i'd look at you much the same way my dog looks at the Tv, tilt my head and kinda shrug... so what's this pro backlash against art?

Thank you very much.  That means a lot to me.

I'm not backlashing against art, but against self-described artists.  I find the term self-serving, egotistical, and pretentious.  I'm willing to call myself a photographer, and if other people want to call what I make "art" that's okay.

I value creativity above all else in my own work, and I love to see it in others', but art?  I'll let another generation decide.

Jan 07 06 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

Art doesn't sell as well as sex.
unless you can make the art sexy.

Jan 07 06 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I didn't mean to scoff, Jeff.  But I'd much rather see us offer links to other people's art, rather than our own.

It's an adverse reaction to egotism.

Jan 07 06 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Robert Thomas

All my stuff could be considered boring ... but's it what I like to shoot, and it's what I like to view, so ...

Jan 07 06 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Cohn

raveneyes wrote:

What do you want?  I know art isn't dead...you know art isn't dead...it doesn't take much to find art...hell I have a whole page on my site dedicated to my more artistic endeavors....but art isn't what sells.  I hardly ever even get any hits on my art page, much less someone who actually looks at all of it.

Art isn't dead it's just not what people want.

There's over 70,000 people on this site.. between MUA, Photogs, stylists and models... there is some amazing talent here... seems like we could change what people want instead of just tucking our tails and coughing up the same crap every day. The future isnt written yet.

Jan 07 06 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Cohn

Brian Diaz wrote:
I didn't mean to scoff, Jeff.  But I'd much rather see us offer links to other people's art, rather than our own.

It's an adverse reaction to egotism.

well again, i think we're on the same page.. since the post itsself was asking for those links cause i wanted to see yours smile

Jan 07 06 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Cohn

Robert Thomas wrote:
All my stuff could be considered boring ... but's it what I like to shoot, and it's what I like to view, so ...

If you have a passion for what you do then you're doing quite well.

Jan 07 06 11:43 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

There's over 70,000 people on this site.. between MUA, Photogs, stylists and models... there is some amazing talent here... seems like we could change what people want instead of just tucking our tails and coughing up the same crap every day. The future isnt written yet.

Interesting...

My *art* life and my *photographer* life are seemingly separate parts of what I do...at least to me.  I think this is because though "art" drives what people want to see in the future, my growling stomach drives me to show people what they want to see today.

Yes there are some amazing talented people on this site, and putting many of them in the same room together will result in beautiful artistic images.  The art created in this process *might* make it in to mass consumption, but more than likely never will.  Really, what will happen is the art will be consumed a little bit at a time all over, and that will affect what people expect...but this is a slow process because when you try to wag the dog, it takes more time.

Jan 07 06 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I've always liked Christopher Lee Donovan.

https://modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=24088

Jan 07 06 11:45 am Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

This is an interesting thread.. *sits back - enjoys popcorn*

Jan 07 06 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Lo Fi Art

Alice Town, Biminis, Bahamas

Long Live Art!

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

in the words of helmut newton ~

“some people’s photography is art. mine is not. if they happen to be exhibited in a gallery or a museum, that’s fine. but that’s not why i do them. i’m a gun for hire.â€?

Photographer

Jeff Cohn

Brian Diaz wrote:
I've always liked Christopher Lee Donovan.

https://modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=24088

Very cool stuff, original and interesting.

Jan 07 06 11:50 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

I also find issue with much of what you're linking to...a photographic artist is not a graphic artist....they are two separate things.  A photographic artist does his work in camera...relying on photoshop only for color correction and lighting balance.  If you've spent more than a few hours on an image in photoshop then it's no longer a photo...it's a beautiful piece of graphic art, but not a photo.

Jan 07 06 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Cohn

raveneyes wrote:
I also find issue with much of what you're linking to...a photographic artist is not a graphic artist....they are two separate things.  A photographic artist does his work in camera...relying on photoshop only for color correction and lighting balance.  If you've spent more than a few hours on an image in photoshop then it's no longer a photo...it's a beautiful piece of graphic art, but not a photo.

and if it was 1985, id totally agree with you...times are a changeing

Jan 07 06 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Very cool stuff, original and interesting.

And be sure to check out http://www.chrisdonovan.com/

Jan 07 06 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I also really dig Sean Armenta.

https://modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=3677

Jan 07 06 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Cohn

Brian Diaz wrote:
I also really dig Sean Armenta.

https://modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=3677

See this is what im talking about.. its not "uncommerical" or even all that extreme or odd, its just very creative well shot magazine/advertising industry friendly artfully done photography. Perfect, its not boring.

Jan 07 06 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

For the thousands of people whose work inspires me whenever I see it: please forgive me for I have made the sin of omitting your name.
Here is an artist...his work cannot be appreciated unless you see the prints IMO, but you get the idea.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=4366

Jan 07 06 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Jan 07 06 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Cohn

Krista Muller wrote:
For the thousands of people whose work inspires me whenever I see it: please forgive me for I have made the sin of omitting your name.
Here is an artist...his work cannot be appreciated unless you see the prints IMO, but you get the idea.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=4366

Amazing.... you'd probably also love Drewficer Market
https://modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=20589
http://www.drewcifermarkert.com/

Jan 07 06 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

MWPortraits

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Here's a girl that I particularly enjoy.

http://ninjakittykat.deviantart.com/gallery/

Also, try this guy out. He doesn't use people, but he is the most fabulous experimental photographer I've ever seen.

http://davenit.deviantart.com/gallery/

Jan 07 06 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

See this is what im talking about.. its not "uncommerical" or even all that extreme or odd, its just very creative well shot magazine/advertising industry friendly artfully done photography. Perfect, its not boring.

I have yet to find a boring editorial in Zink magazine.  smile

Jan 07 06 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

raveneyes wrote:

and if it was 1985, id totally agree with you...times are a changeing

Changing how? Or better yet why?  If everything that you're doing to an image could be done in camera (and I have never seen an image done in graphic art that couldn't be done ...albeit tricky and expensive... in camera), what is making you a photographer and not a graphic artist?

Jan 07 06 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

"art is dead"

That's what they said about Saturday Night Live.

Jan 07 06 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Cohn

raveneyes wrote:

Changing how? Or better yet why?  If everything that you're doing to an image could be done in camera (and I have never seen an image done in graphic art that couldn't be done ...albeit tricky and expensive... in camera), what is making you a photographer and not a graphic artist?

Im a hybrid.. I was a pro graphic artist before i was a pro photograper...The two work rather well together i think, melding them into one is a natural progression

Jan 07 06 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Im a hybrid.. I was a pro graphic artist before i was a pro photograper...The two work rather well together i think, melding them into one is a natural progression

Yeah...but Jonny is a photographer...and not a graphic artist...I'd still say his work is artistic.

Jan 07 06 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

David Linke

Woodville, Ohio, US

i just dont get it.. if you're good at what you shoot, why not be creative? (you are, im saying a lot of others) ... so whose fault is it? is main stream america (or the world even) getting more and more boring for what it demands? or are photographers just going to school and buying the right equiptment, learning the right skills and being accepted without having to have any actual creativity or talent anymore ?

I am a very boring technically adept photographer who makes a living, and feeds his family from behind a camera.  I am not a Richard Avadon, but I do create images for my clients that they display and appreciate.

The frustration for me comes from people who do not learn the skills of their kraft, and still produce substandard work that deminishes the reputation of all of us.

Jan 07 06 12:20 pm Link