Forums > General Industry > TFP or TFCD advise

Model

Marlenne D Rich

Would any have good suggestions on how to make a photographer get your pictures to you on time without the hassel? Your word is just not enough now a days, you know what I mean, but I also don't want to be rude and make the photographer feel like I don't trust him. It's just such a crazy world out there.......
someone help me please

Apr 13 05 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

00GI00

MILLBORO, Virginia, US

I know exactly what you mean.  My fiance models and has had that problem a lot!  Having an agreement in writing up front would help but that is still a hassel.
Ask other models that have worked with the photographer if they have gotten their prints on time.  If the photog has a history of not giving prints, don't waist your time.  Its okay to ask for references too.
Nothing is fool proof, but some preventative steps help.

Apr 13 05 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

I replied to a post in the photog section which might help a bit...

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=164

Now I have a section on my release stating that I (the photographer) will get the model the edited pics within 30 days. I sign it in front of the model and so far it's worked out ok...

Rich

Apr 13 05 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin P.

Houston, Texas, US

Here is the problem. You are doing TFCD for your portfolio in your spare time. So is the photographer. Often, paid work comes up and takes priority over any "free" projects. I have been in that situation before. I doubt any photographers are purposely delaying the delivery. It takes a lot of time to retouch, color correct, print, add any effects, etc. Often models think that the images just go from the camera to the CD. That is never the case with my images. I spend a minimum of 2 hours on each photo. Often more. A model is only out the time it takes her in front of the camera. The photographer is out the time it takes to set up, shoot, tear down, upload, scan, develop, print, retouch, etc. This guy has a good format on his site...
http://www.lithiumpicnic.com/TFP_faq.html
That's exactly how I do it.

Apr 13 05 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

AMEN!!!  It's about time that is stated over and over and over again!  For some reason, people seem to think that we just push a magic button and it all comes together for us.

Posted by Kevin Palmer: 
Here is the problem. You are doing TFCD for your portfolio in your spare time. So is the photographer. Often, paid work comes up and takes priority over any "free" projects. I have been in that situation before. I doubt any photographers are purposely delaying the delivery. It takes a lot of time to retouch, color correct, print, add any effects, etc. Often models think that the images just go from the camera to the CD. That is never the case with my images. I spend a minimum of 2 hours on each photo. Often more. A model is only out the time it takes her in front of the camera. The photographer is out the time it takes to set up, shoot, tear down, upload, scan, develop, print, retouch, etc. This guy has a good format on his site...

Apr 13 05 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

House of DL

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Make sure it is in writting.  On my model release it is written in the contract, which include a time frame. In addition I have added a section that will provide the model with a percentage in the event I sell the images.

It helps alot by checking with other models who have worked with them for a referance.  A good Photographer will be happy to provide them to you.

Apr 13 05 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Panic

Allentown, Pennsylvania, US

I agree w/ Kevin as well

Apr 13 05 07:55 pm Link

Model

Marlenne D Rich

Thank you all and just to clear it up, I din't mean photographers take to long, but when a deadline is set it should be met or at least a follow up so we are no left in the blank and wondering if it will ever happend. No all are this way and most are amazing,but there is those few who will not keep thier word and make it bad for the rest.

MUCHAS GRACIAS
Marlenne D Rich

Apr 13 05 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by Marlenne D Rich: 
but when a deadline is set it should be met or at least a follow up so we are no left in the blank and wondering if it will ever happend.

I see deadlines as mandatory for PAID work. If I do a favor for a model, we agree on a time frame when she is getting her CD or prints.

If something comes up (paid situation), the model has to wait for the favor to be completed.

I don't let a model pressure me when I am doing a favor.

However, I am usually even faster than agreed to get the prints/CD to the model and never had complaints, only praise... but I still have that principle that I just described.

UNLESS... something came up for the model that makes it really urgent... then again... I am fast anyway... LOL

Apr 14 05 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Geo Silva

Whittier, California, US

Check his references before you work with him... ask other models what they got, and how their experience was.  When I work with a model and agree to supply her with photos, I explain in detail, what she will be getting in the two to three week time frame.  I also email my model a sample of a photo to keep her excited about the results.  I think it all boils down to knowing who you're working with.   

Apr 15 05 12:08 am Link

Photographer

Aperture Photographics

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Check references for the photographer, talk to the other models, ask them the questions about the quality of his work, his professionalism, and how responsive he is to getting you the CD of completed images.

Once I get the list of images that the model likes (I limit the number of final images I will retouch to 50 or less), I will have the model's CD ready for her within 7 days. 

Paid projects do take priority over TFCD.  But once I make a commitment to the model, I will keep it even if I have to stay up all night editing images.  After all, she made a commitment to work with me, and I value that very highly.

Apr 15 05 12:22 am Link

Photographer

Doug Vosler Photo Arts

Breezy Point, Minnesota, US

Might suggest offering compensation like paying him for the work. 

Apr 15 05 12:26 am Link

Model

LoLo Sky

Oroville, California, US

My only problem with the waiting process is if it takes more then a month or two I had a guy once not give me my pictures for 3 months I mean comon thats just to long to waite.  xoxo~LoLo

Apr 15 05 05:08 am Link

Model

ModiX

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

My record so far is 6 months. Three images had had some work put on them, and that was a macro that takes 5sec per picture.....

I don't think this timeframe & amount of work put in during that time will get topped by anyone I'll work with again. ( Or so I hope.)

Apr 15 05 05:27 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Geeez... you were waiting three (LoLo Sky) to six months (ModiX)?

Now... THAT is outrageous! In my post I was talking about maximum three weeks... Usually I deliver in much less than two weeks...

Apr 15 05 07:09 am Link

Model

LoLo Sky

Oroville, California, US

tell me about it thats crazy huh lol I will hopfully never have to waite that long again but stuff happens *SIGH*
xoxo~LoLo

Apr 15 05 07:10 am Link

Model

ModiX

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Posted by Udo R Photography: 
Geeez... you were waiting three (LoLo Sky) to six months (ModiX)?

Yeah. It was so ridiculous. And boy did I get excuses....LOL. It wasn't me making an ass off myself for sure.

Apr 15 05 07:22 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Sure. All models do is show up, pose and go home. I spend anywhere from three hours to three weeks preparing for a shoot.

Get your TFP agreements in writing. Specify the number of images, format of images and time frame for delivery of images in the agreement. I've never had trouble getting images when I had a signed agreement.

I have waited up to a year for images. Three months is not an unreasonable time to wait for TFP images from a busy commercial photographer who shoots fuilm, so i've done that with no complaints.

It seems like many people on both sides of the fence have no real concept of what the other parties put into a shoot.  It also seems like there are a lot of unrealistic expectations and disappointments that could be solved by open, explicit and detailed communication.

Apr 15 05 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Ian C. Ware

Sarasota, Florida, US

TFP or Paid, the model or customer should be treated with the same amount of courtesy and respect. IMHO, if you end up being delayed in doing "favor" or TFP/TFCD work due to paid work, then just communicate that with the model. 9 out of 10 times they will understand, but also don't abuse that. I try to treat every assignment as if it was a PAID gig, even if it is not. You are only ever as good as your last bad review, and those things have a way of getting out.

Just my $.02 worth.

Ian

Apr 15 05 11:20 am Link

Model

Girly - Sally Sparrow

Wheat Ridge, Colorado, US

I understand that a lot of time goes into the pictures after I leave, but I've had photographers that don't do a lot of editing and it still takes them at least a month.

I had one photographer take quite a while even getting to the editing of my pictures and his computer crashed before he could work on them. Four hours worth of my time was lost as well as a ton of pictures. I wasn't so upset at first because it was only my second shoot, but then a friend pointed out to me that it's like not being paid for a job.

Apr 15 05 11:39 am Link

Model

Marlenne D Rich

thank you all for your input it really helps,but what does everyone think about model having thier own release form that would commit the photographer to giving the pictures, wheter it be TFP or paid. Not meaning they need to give them to us that day but at least with in the agreed time and not flaking on the model.

Thank you to all the photographers that keep thier word,but again thier are some that don't.

Apr 15 05 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

That is an obserd amount of time. I think my longest was 8 or 9 days...

Posted by ModiX: 
My record so far is 6 months. Three images had had some work put on them, and that was a macro that takes 5sec per picture.....

I don't think this timeframe & amount of work put in during that time will get topped by anyone I'll work with again. ( Or so I hope.) 

Apr 15 05 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin P.

Houston, Texas, US

Personally I wouldn't work with a model who made demands on when she gets her pictures. Actually I wouldn't work with a model who seemed demanding at all. I try to get the photos done as soon as possible and I'm always in contact with the model regarding the status. But the bottom line is that she gets them when I finish with them. If I get bogged down with paying work then she has to wait. I think the longest a model has had to wait was maybe about a month.

Apr 15 05 07:53 pm Link

Model

Mellisa Kay

Newark, Ohio, US

Actually, I as a model spend about two days getting everything set up for a shoot if I'm in charge of wardrobe and makeup. But again, I do usually serve as creative director as well. And even if I don't, there's tanning, waxing and a lot of other financial/time consuming things. And if you provide all this for me...Heck, I wanna work with YOU!!! lol4

Posted by Kevin Palmer: 

Apr 15 05 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin P.

Houston, Texas, US

Posted by Mellisa Kay: 
  Actually, I as a model spend about two days getting everything set up for a shoot if I'm in charge of wardrobe and makeup. But again, I do usually serve as creative director as well. And even if I don't, there's tanning, waxing and a lot of other financial/time consuming things. And if you provide all this for me...Heck, I wanna work with YOU!!! lol4

I am always the Creative/Art director for the shoot. I almost always provide hair and make-up artists as well as a fashion stylist and clothing. I request that the model show up with dirty hair (easier to style), no make-up, pedicure and manicure. I don't do Maxim/FHM or other tan model type shots so tanning isn't required.

Apr 15 05 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

John Paul

Schenectady, New York, US

How about doing TFT??

Time
  For
  Time

.....too late now with your situation but, you may look into doing time for time, which means trading your time for his time...and if you want pictures, they are reasonably priced, and he doesn't get paid until you get your pictures..

Nope,...no longer doing TFP..

:-l

JP

Apr 15 05 08:43 pm Link

Model

Natalie Lynn

Chicago, Illinois, US

In my experience with TFP, I try to make it a point not to  leave the photog without a cd in my hand out the door.  If I don't do that, I am likely to NEVER see a cd.  In many shoots I have done with the anticipation of receiving a cd, which was in our contract agreed upon prior to starting, I never received a cd whatsoever and only one editted image down the road...oftentimes these are for shoots I have traveled to for over an hour to two hour's distance...for free.  Not smart on my part!  And reputable photogs on that note too with excellent references!

Apr 15 05 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin P.

Houston, Texas, US

I don't know about other photogs but I don't allow any unedited images out of my hands.

Apr 15 05 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

NinasPhotography

Portland, Oregon, US

I recently had a TFP model tell me she will sign the release when she gets the CD ... LOL and this was at the end of the shoot.

I did read somewhere, about models who write on the release, if photos are not received within "X" number of days, then the release is void ... essentially the photog wouldn't have a right to use them if they didn't meet the time frame.

I'm just to the point now where I feel comfortable charging, TFP (well TFCD actually) has been a great learning tool for me, allowing me to practice & improve at a good pace ... If I had to pay $$ I'd still be shooting flowers

Apr 15 05 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Ruder

Tucson, Arizona, US

Posted by Kevin Palmer: 
I don't know about other photogs but I don't allow any unedited images out of my hands.

I agree with that.  I can't believe a model would demand a CD right after the shoot.  It would be like taking a lump of coal home before it has been made into a diamond.  Obviously not all images taken at a shoot is the best a photographer can do.  I want complete control of the images and how they will look when completed.

As for me, I try to get a few 'teasers' to a model within a day or two.  Generally they are low res images maybe useable on the net, but that would be about it.  Then I try to get to them, within 2-3 weeks, a cd with high res images worthy of printing at larger formats.

Apr 16 05 12:26 am Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Yeah... I know how to get pics fast.  Pay for them.  We gotta pay our rent, just like everybody else.  Money always has first priority.  Unless you're my mother.  Then I'll take care of you first.  But if I don't feel guilty for the pain I put you through while tearing myself from your body, then you better pay for priority.

Apr 16 05 12:30 am Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

And like Kevin says, NOTHING goes out without my edit.  But if I'm paid, that edit'll come much faster...

Apr 16 05 12:31 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by NinaS: 
I recently had a TFP model tell me she will sign the release when she gets the CD ... LOL and this was at the end of the shoot.

I did read somewhere, about models who write on the release, if photos are not received within "X" number of days, then the release is void ... essentially the photog wouldn't have a right to use them if they didn't meet the time frame.

Expect to see that a lot more. I don't know too many models who don't do one or the other.

Apr 16 05 12:31 am Link

Photographer

Kevin P.

Houston, Texas, US

Posted by theda: 
Expect to see that a lot more. I don't know too many models who don't do one or the other.

Good luck with that.

Apr 16 05 12:42 am Link

Photographer

NinasPhotography

Portland, Oregon, US

In my limited time of shooting models (started last October), I average 2 to 4 models per weekend, and have always (knocking on wood here) emailed a few teasers within 48 hours of the shoot, and have had the CD's in the mail within 2 to 3 weeks (often sooner) ... so the model's requests aren't too off base for me.

My daughter, on the other hand, has had over 100 shoots, most on a TFP basis, and I can't count on all my fingers & toes, the number of photographers who have sent pics months after the shoot, or never ... so I do understand why the models are demanding reasonable time frames from the photographers.

Apr 16 05 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin P.

Houston, Texas, US

After reading this thread and the "Photographers shouldn't do TFP" thread I have updated my page with new info. I no longer do TFP or TFCD. I only upload the images to the web. I also don't offer a guarantee of timeframe. But I do state that I will keep the model up to date on how the photos are progressing.

Link

Apr 18 05 02:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

The Beauty Artist

Troy, Michigan, US

Being a makeup artist, and having the basic needed knowledge of how to use photoshop, I usually edit my own pictures. In some cases if im shooting in studio, and the photographer has his computer there, I just have him burn them for me right then and there (those are usually the photographers who trust me enough not to post any pics or use any that may have come out not to his standards)Otherwise i usually just ask them to go through the pics and eliminate any they dont want used for any reason, and then i have them burn it, without them editing (saves a ton of time, because i figure if its that important to me I can edit it in my own time, without it bothering him if he has bigger prioritys). Usually does not take long at all.But for those of you models/muas who dont know how to use photoshop or dont have any desire to, than i suggest having a release form that states clearly a maximum amount of time you will wait for the pictures.

Apr 18 05 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin P.

Houston, Texas, US

Posted by Printmakeup: 
Being a makeup artist, and having the basic needed knowledge of how to use photoshop, I usually edit my own pictures. In some cases if im shooting in studio, and the photographer has his computer there, I just have him burn them for me right then and there (those are usually the photographers who trust me enough not to post any pics or use any that may have come out not to his standards)Otherwise i usually just ask them to go through the pics and eliminate any they dont want used for any reason, and then i have them burn it, without them editing (saves a ton of time, because i figure if its that important to me I can edit it in my own time, without it bothering him if he has bigger prioritys). Usually does not take long at all.But for those of you models/muas who dont know how to use photoshop or dont have any desire to, than i suggest having a release form that states clearly a maximum amount of time you will wait for the pictures. 

You do realize that in most cases this is illegal?  To alter a photo without consent of the photographer. If the photogs you work with know that you are going to edit them then that is one thing. But I would bring legal action against anyone altering my work.

Apr 18 05 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

emac

Escondido, California, US

Posted by Kevin Palmer: 

You do realize that in most cases this is illegal?  To alter a photo without consent of the photographer. If the photogs you work with know that you are going to edit them then that is one thing. But I would bring legal action against anyone altering my work.

While I'm not a fan of people altering my work, either, it's definately not illegal.

Sounds like what this all boils down to is simply models wanting their pictures in a timely fashion, and photographers wanting to not be rushed in getting those pictures to them.

On an average shoot for me, I'll spend about 2 days prepping for the shoot. picking up wardrobe, scouting locations, organizing my crew, finding props... whatever's needed.
One day spent shooting.
I prefer to NOT look at the images for a couple days after I've shot. This way, when I sit down to do my first rough edit, The images are a little fresher to me, and I may see something I would have overlooked, or considered a mistake, before.
This means, I'll post a rough edit of small res images on my site about a week after the shoot for the model and my crew to look at and pick the ones they like.
Why a week?
Because if I spent all my time in front of the computer my life would suck, and I wouldn't have any fun, and it'd show in my work.
Plus, there's the whole "making a living" thing to do...
I wait until everyone has told me what images they'd like before I start retouching. I've found that people often ask for between 8 and 15 images. multiply that by everyone on the shoot, and you've got a s***load of retouching to do.
By waiting for everyone's response, I may find that people often like the same images, and it saves me from working on 60 images.
On average, I spend about 30 minutes on each image.
So in the end I usually put about another 9-15 hours into retouching.

All said and done, I'm personally working on this shoot for a hot 4-5 days.
The model's only there for one.
I won't accept anybody telling me that the model works as hard as I do. That's Web model mentality.
I don't mean to be bitter about it, but don't ignore the fact that I:
built the friggin set,
ran the film that was shot,
organized 6 peoples time,
provided lunch,
paid for scans (if on film)
possibly ran lighting tests on the days before the shoot,
scouted out and editted down from 4-10 locations,
sat in front of the computer grinding through all the
  images,
built a page on a website so people could view them from
  the comfort of their home,
and basically did EVERYTHING that needed to happen to make the shoot a success.

Now this also has to happen for the paid work that comes up, as well. Except it takes about twice as long for all of that, because the client wants to double check everything.

So if 2 paid jobs crop up during the next couple weeks after a shoot, that's seriously going to push back your images.

While I do make it a point to get the images out as quick as possible, I don't think that a month or 2 is unrealistic.

If you need your images quicker, pay for them. Seriously. Because if you pay for the shoot, then you get the priority.

I definately don't mean to sound bitter about it, but too many models act like they've just hired me to shoot, when they haven't.

If something comes up, and someone needs images quick, it all depends on our relationship. If the model was good, and fun to work with and we all had a blast, then absolutely, I'll bust my ass a bit to help you out. because now we're friends.

but if the model was crap, and I know the images won't be near as good as they would have been with someone else, and he or she was lifeless, or a pain in the ass, I might not put aside my weekly karaoke night just to sit and stare at pictures that make me unhappy.

Really, it all depends on the situation.

And no, I won't sign your copyright sharing agreement, or your deadline agreement. You want me to sign a contract? Send me a check.

(wow. this guy sounds like an asshole!)

ciao.

Apr 18 05 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin P.

Houston, Texas, US

Emacklin I agree with every single thing you said except about altering images not being illegal. It is totally illegal. Look up copyright law. A copyrighted image can not be altered from the original in any way without written consent from the copyright owner. An image is copyrighted the second you create it. Although proving that in court depends on the exact circumstances. For example, if you didn't "register" for a copyright and another photog claims rights to your photos. You pretty much have to prove you shot them first. I send jpegs of all my images on a CD and have them registered. This way I have proof of copyright as well as what my final files looked like. Bottom line is that if ANYONE other than the copyright owner changes your images you have grounds for a lawsuit. They are portraying your work in a way that has not been determined by you. Ultimately you have control over your images. For a control freak like me that is a beautiful thing.

Apr 18 05 10:26 pm Link