Forums > General Industry > TFP or TFCD advise

Photographer

Michael Rothman

Oak Park, Illinois, US

Posted by Natalie Lynn: 
In my experience with TFP, I try to make it a point not to  leave the photog without a cd in my hand out the door.  If I don't do that, I am likely to NEVER see a cd.  In many shoots I have done with the anticipation of receiving a cd, which was in our contract agreed upon prior to starting, I never received a cd whatsoever and only one editted image down the road...oftentimes these are for shoots I have traveled to for over an hour to two hour's distance...for free.  Not smart on my part!  And reputable photogs on that note too with excellent references!

Natalie, thanks for the compliment on my promptness in getting the CDs out to YOU and all the Models I've worked with. 

I make it a point to burn and mail a CD with unedited images  within a day or so.  More often than not, I'll edit and post a 72 DPI image or two from the shoot to my web portfolio in a 'collection' for the Model that night. She can then download those pictures and use them immediatly. 

With some low res images and an unedited CD in hand she will at least feel she has something for her time.  I ask that they pick the pictures they like and send me the file numbers, for me to edit. I'll also pick out and edit images on my own.  As I edit a picture I post the 72DPI file to the Model's collection and send her an email to check it out.

When I'm finished editing, I send them another CD with the edited files in both 300 and 72DPI. If they are on omp, I also send them resized files for their membership level. Sometimes a 72 DPI jpg file of an 8X10 is too big for the low level memberships.  Sure it a little more work, but I have NO unhappy Models, and most if not all will work with me again.  Right Natalie?  :-)

Apr 18 05 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

This is a great discussion! (1) It's ALL negotiable, and (2) Get it in writing!

The "Time for Time" could simply be called Testing which is a term that has been around long before the digital age. From what I have learned about photography history, MOST of the greatest models and photographers have done "testing" at some point in their career. The "TFP" term came along with the digital age.

I've been in photography for over 20 years and have shot a lot of FREE stuff and given away many pictures in that amount of time. It's is something that I consider a part of my own education which is the most important thing to know about photography is that you will NEVER stop learning (unless you "think" you know it ALL!) because "photography" being an "Art" is constantly changing!

I do not mind doing "TFP" under certain circumstances such as meeting with the model(s) previous to the shoot. We then discuss ideas for the planned shoot and that is when the negotiation happens. GET IT IN WRITING!

I think that getting the photos to the model in about 2 to 3 weeks is reasonable. That has been my standard length of time from the days of my using film for everything from models to weddings. So the digital evolution has spoiled us a bit ... it's great to be able to see the images MUCH sooner! But there is still work to be done after the shoot.  Now it is possible for me to deliver the finished product in a matter of days or hours to a "client" if necessary, but it does COST more for obvious reasons. If I can get the images delivered in less than 2 weeks, then it's a pleasant surprise for the model or bride.

Waiting 3 months, 6 months or even a year, well that just is NOT GOOD! "TFP" can work for models and photographers, BUT AGAIN, GET IT IN WRITING! 

Apr 18 05 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Kuck

Columbia, Tennessee, US

Also don't be a nag. It's one thing to call up and see how things are going every couple of weeks, but I will slow down and make someone wait who pisses me off.

For instance I have a makeup artist whom I told it would take 2 weeks for me to turn around the images. She calls 3 days after the shoot and doesn't leave a message. (Now point 1, anyone who calls my voicemail and won't leave a message did not call and it'll be at least 2 weeks before I call you back)

She calls everyday after and doesn't leave a message, by this point I'm ignoring her phone calls just to see when she leaves a message. I give her the disk of images 2 weeks from the day of our shoot.

She asks my advice about where to get them printed, I tell her the three locations I recommend printing them (one of which is not Kinkos) and she asks me " what about Kinkos?"
So to prevent the humiliation of having my images printed by inept monkeys, I offer to take them to one of my favorite labs and have them printed if she'll give me the numbers and pay me for the prints. (whoops) two weeks later she finally gives me the numbers she wants and two days later she's calling and not leaving messages again.

It is now my mission in life to ignore this...MUA until the end of time. She did a fabulous job with the makeup, but I will never hire her again, nor will I ever take one of her phone calls. And of course I have yet to get her images printed, but of course she can still take her disk to Kinkos.

Sorry my phone just rang for the second time today from her. I'm not assuming you are nagging, I'm just saying please don't.

Shawn

Apr 19 05 02:14 am Link

Photographer

vanscottie

Winnetka, California, US

I make it a point to burn and mail a CD with unedited images  within a day or so. 

Apr 19 05 02:34 am Link

Photographer

vanscottie

Winnetka, California, US

I guess I don't know how to use the quote thing, the above was not written by me..I was using it to jump off to the pont, howe do you prevent models from posting unedited images on their sites. Three times i've made the mistake of giving out an unedited CD of the images and every time they've posted AFTER I MADE THEM PROMISE NOT TO...It makes me look bad to have obviously unedited pix out there with my name as the photog

Apr 19 05 02:36 am Link

Photographer

emac

Escondido, California, US

Posted by vanscottie: 
Three times i've made the mistake of giving out an unedited CD of the images and every time they've posted AFTER I MADE THEM PROMISE NOT TO...It makes me look bad to have obviously unedited pix out there with my name as the photog

That's why they wait for the edits.

Apr 19 05 03:44 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

IF IM WORKING FOR PRINTS - IM WORKING FOR PRINTS! iM STILL WORKING. A PHOTOGRAPHER WHO COMES TO ME ASKING FOR ME TO WORK WITH HIM IN RETURN FOR HIS WORK HAS TO BE good AND THE LAST TIME THIS HAPPENED HE was GOOD.
HE ALSO ABSCONDED WITH ALL THE TOTALY NUDE INAGES AND TO DATE (6 MONTHS) NEVER SENT A SINGLE ONE

IM NOT THE ONLY MODEL ON THAT SHOOT - SHE IS A PRETTY TOP MODEL - SAME TREATMENT.

WE ARE BOTH SHOCKED AS HES A REALLY EXCELLENT WELL KNOWN PUBLISHED GUY
& GUESS WHAT...
HE WRITES FOR OMP

b-)

BUT WE WERE WORKING!! IT COST MONEY TO BE THERE....
ITS NOT A FAVOUR - ITS A CREATIVE COLLABORATION
& IF NOT PAYING US WITH PRINTS HE OUGHT TO SEND US BOTH A CHECK.

DOES ANYONE AGREE???

Posted by Udo R Photography: 

Posted by Marlenne D Rich: 
but when a deadline is set it should be met or at least a follow up so we are no left in the blank and wondering if it will ever happend.

I see deadlines as mandatory for PAID work. If I do a favor for a model, we agree on a time frame when she is getting her CD or prints.

If something comes up (paid situation), the model has to wait for the favor to be completed.

I don't let a model pressure me when I am doing a favor.

However, I am usually even faster than agreed to get the prints/CD to the model and never had complaints, only praise... but I still have that principle that I just described.

UNLESS... something came up for the model that makes it really urgent... then again... I am fast anyway... LOL

Apr 19 05 07:05 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

I MET A  COUPLE OF GUYS WHO WERE MISREPRESENTING THEMSELVES ( ONE ARANGED A SHOOT IN  SAN JOSE (OFF omp BASED ON ENHANCED IMAGES HE DISPLAYED THERE, THAT WE WOULD MAKE TWO OF, THESE WERE TO BE ENTERED FOR A CALENDAR FOR A  CLIENT) - TURNED OUT MY REFERENCES WERE FROM NET EROTIC/GLAMOUR MODELS WHO DIDNT TELL ME ABOUT THERE SITES OR STYLE BUT RECOMMENDED HIM FOR HIS 'SKILL'

THE IMAGES AND ENHANCEMENTS HE POSTS ON omp WERENT EVEN DONE BY HIM AS IT TURNED OUT!
creep
BUT GENERALLY,  EXCEPT LET DOWN OR TWO, THE GUYS HAVE ALL BEEN COOL, WE'VE HAD A GREAT RELATIONSHIP AND MANY ARE FINE WITH ME ADJUSTING IMAGES, often i just make them really dark but I have cloned and played about with some too

JUST ASK / I HAVWE PHOTOGRAPHERS ASKING ME TO E-MAIL IMAGES BACK TO THEM TO USE THESE DAYS!!

I EVEN TURNED MYSELF GREEN LIKE A STAR TREK WOMAN B 4 I KNEW ANY PHOTOSHP......AND MIKE WALKER DIDNT HAVE AWORD TO SAY AGAINST IT
SO I MIGHT ENTER IT IN THE FANTASY COMP

LOL

DEPENDS ON YOUR RELATIONSHIP AND SKILL ,
IF PHOTOGRAPHER IS AGAINST IT
dont!!!

Hmmm MAYBE I WIL CHANGE MY RELEASE TO INCUDE THIS POINT IN WRITING as a clause they can say yes or no to!

THANKS

Posted by Kevin Palmer: 
Emacklin I agree with every single thing you said except about altering images not being illegal. It is totally illegal. Look up copyright law. A copyrighted image can not be altered from the original in any way without written consent from the copyright owner. An image is copyrighted the second you create it. Although proving that in court depends on the exact circumstances. For example, if you didn't "register" for a copyright and another photog claims rights to your photos. You pretty much have to prove you shot them first. I send jpegs of all my images on a CD and have them registered. This way I have proof of copyright as well as what my final files looked like. Bottom line is that if ANYONE other than the copyright owner changes your images you have grounds for a lawsuit. They are portraying your work in a way that has not been determined by you. Ultimately you have control over your images. For a control freak like me that is a beautiful thing.

Apr 19 05 07:20 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

I'm no expert... but wouldn't it depend on who it is offering the trade?  For instance - if the photographer is offering trade work to his/her selected model - the model should have their trade reciept within a selected/agreed period of time (photographer is asking for the time)... And if the model is asking for the trade(time), the photographer should get to set the ground rules...seems only fair... 

Apr 19 05 07:35 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Reese: 
I'm no expert... but wouldn't it depend on who it is offering the trade?  For instance - if the photographer is offering trade work to his/her selected model - the model should have their trade reciept within a selected/agreed period of time (photographer is asking for the time)... And if the model is asking for the trade(time), the photographer should get to set the ground rules...seems only fair...   

Stop making sense like that.

Apr 19 05 02:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

The Beauty Artist

Troy, Michigan, US

Posted by Kevin Palmer: 

Posted by Printmakeup: 
Being a makeup artist, and having the basic needed knowledge of how to use photoshop, I usually edit my own pictures. In some cases if im shooting in studio, and the photographer has his computer there, I just have him burn them for me right then and there (those are usually the photographers who trust me enough not to post any pics or use any that may have come out not to his standards)Otherwise i usually just ask them to go through the pics and eliminate any they dont want used for any reason, and then i have them burn it, without them editing (saves a ton of time, because i figure if its that important to me I can edit it in my own time, without it bothering him if he has bigger prioritys). Usually does not take long at all.But for those of you models/muas who dont know how to use photoshop or dont have any desire to, than i suggest having a release form that states clearly a maximum amount of time you will wait for the pictures. 

You do realize that in most cases this is illegal?  To alter a photo without consent of the photographer. If the photogs you work with know that you are going to edit them then that is one thing. But I would bring legal action against anyone altering my work.

I understand where you are coming from, but let me just defend what i said. Normally I only do shoots with models that have great skin, and the editing I was speaking of is usually pretty minimal, consisting mainly of using the healing brush to take out an occasional zit, or maybe clear up a bit of undereye circle if the makeup couldent cover it. Im not talking about altering lighting, background ect. ect. To me if a photographer tried to sue me for copyright infringent for editing out a pimple i would laugh in his face and consider him pretty anal. BUT on the other hand I could understand a photographer getting pissed off for a mua/model completely trying to edit the pic, because then it could possibly not acurately portray the photographers original intent. Thats why I mentioned that usually this was only the case for me when i worked with photographers who A) Had worked with me enough times to trust me to not alter there images drastically (if i needed to do that i would ask them anyway) B)Knew i was competent enough with photoshop to do what is needed for my purposes, and C)Would never do anything to the photos they would not approve of. I think in general i was explaining a circumstance that exists between teams of people who are used to working with each other. I could completely understand a photographer not being comfortable with doing this with someone he doesnt know very well, or is not confident about their intent or skills. Besides if a photographer wanted me sign a release stating I would only do certain things with the images, I would be completely comfortable with that, its not my intention and never will be to try and completely alter someone elses work. If that were the case and that were needed, i would just work with another photographer where that much editing wasnt nessecary. In general I would say that from the response this post has gotton from most of the photographers on here, most models/muas best bet is to just have a clause in a release stating they will get there images within a certain time period (ex: 1-3 months, or whatever)

Apr 19 05 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Beautiful Disasters Pho

Crystal Lake, Illinois, US

Basically what I do is:

I burn the cd righ there for the model with all the images on it.  The models do sign a constent form which tells you all about the TFP and etc.  Then a few days, I edit the images a bit (once I get started to edit, I can't stop!) and then send that cd out in the mail. 

As for editing, it might be touch ups, different lights or something like that.  To have edited images can be fun to. It's all about creativity! That's my take on it.

I do keep in touch with the models to let them know what is going on with the cds or when they are heading out or so forth. The reason for this is because I do work long hours with my day job (ick!) but I know the models are anxious to get their cds..so I keep in touch.   (I know how it goes getting the cds in the mail since I do model on the side too!)

That's my two cents of what I do with TFP/TFT.  Everyone has their preference of things. I think as long as you are happy and the models are happy..then it should be fine. 

Sarah - Ariesroses
Beautiful Disasters Photography

Apr 19 05 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by Britt: 
IF IM WORKING FOR PRINTS - IM WORKING FOR PRINTS! iM STILL WORKING. A PHOTOGRAPHER WHO COMES TO ME ASKING FOR ME TO WORK WITH HIM IN RETURN FOR HIS WORK HAS TO BE good AND THE LAST TIME THIS HAPPENED HE was GOOD.

Yes, but THAT is not the type of favour I was talking about. Reese nailed it accurately.

I am talking about cases where a model comes to ME and tells me that she likes my work a lot and wants me to do a session with me... then THAT is the kind of favour I am talking about and we have to play by my rules. I also don't guarantee that the model will end up on my site... most likely, she/he will NOT end up on my site.

I am not building my portfolio and I am not a beginner, so I don't have to...

However, I had a girl approaching me a few weeks ago after a fashionshow and I did agree that I will shoot her for free... and why? Because I think that she looks GREAT! Very exotic and classical look... unusual... and she is supernice... and guess what... I will put some of her pix up on my site and am excited about that.

Oh... she will get her results as fast as possible.

Apr 19 05 04:19 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I can't even remember the last time I asked someone to shoot me for free.

Apr 19 05 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by theda: 
I can't even remember the last time I asked someone to shoot me for free.

That means that you are getting old!

JOKING! :-)

Apr 20 05 09:25 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Posted by Kevin Palmer: 

Posted by Mellisa Kay: 
  Actually, I as a model spend about two days getting everything set up for a shoot if I'm in charge of wardrobe and makeup. But again, I do usually serve as creative director as well. And even if I don't, there's tanning, waxing and a lot of other financial/time consuming things. And if you provide all this for me...Heck, I wanna work with YOU!!! lol4

I am always the Creative/Art director for the shoot. I almost always provide hair and make-up artists as well as a fashion stylist and clothing. I request that the model show up with dirty hair (easier to style), no make-up, pedicure and manicure. I don't do Maxim/FHM or other tan model type shots so tanning isn't required.

I am not knocking Melissa Kay in anyway.. She's a great model - very experienced petite model - but if she has ever spent a dime on tanning beds - she needs to get her money back because it isn't working...

Apr 20 05 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

ActionShots Photo

Barboursville, West Virginia, US

I belive that if a photographer can't get your shots to you within 30 days... they arent a photographer, they are a photoshop jockey and an image editor. To be honest, most of my models have a CD within 3-5 days.

If you shoot it right - you don't have to spend all that time at the computer!

Apr 20 05 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

emac

Escondido, California, US

Posted by ActionShots Photo: 
I belive that if a photographer can't get your shots to you within 30 days... they arent a photographer, they are a photoshop jockey and an image editor. To be honest, most of my models have a CD within 3-5 days.

Fantastic. Thanks for the insult.

Apr 20 05 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

I see several layers to this question..Let me tell you how I do things in my office..

TFP Shoots

1. If the model will take RAW images, she/he can have a disk at the end of the shoot.

2. If the model wants 4 retouched images, they get a disk at the end of the shoot and 1-2 weeks for the retouches.

3. If they want more than two retouches, they pay my design rates at a discount.

As many models are asking for the photos to be retouched..IE..Fixing wrinkles, blemishes and so on...not to mention the cool stuff we can all do...and for my fellow photographer who stated something about photoshop junkies..

I am a photoshop junkie, as well a a pretty good photog.. The top magazines photoshop everything. And while many trhings can be done in camera, there are a great many rquest for added effects and lighting....I am a fan of the "get it in camera" atttitude, but in todays world, people want those special effect extras. It all personal choice...no name calling....we all worked hard to learn our crafts. We are all artist....

Paid.

Client gets all agreed upon work with in two weeks on most projects..sooner on some later on others.

TFP is one thing..retouching a ton of pics is another pay scale..

In a nutshell.... :-)

Vance

Apr 21 05 12:08 am Link

Makeup Artist

The Beauty Artist

Troy, Michigan, US

Posted by emacklin: 

wow, ok boys before you both get you panties into a twist, I think that the first thing to remember is that photo-editing is most of the time relative to the type of subject that is being shot. The other thing to consider is that one photographers idea of a finished product is different than anothers. Some photographers like to be very detail orientated and nit pick every last detail before there comfortable putting there stamp of approval on the final product. and thats fine in fact thats great, i think that shows pride in ones work to put that much work into something, others though dont want to spend days editing the background or lighting or the model because there happy with it the way they have it. I think that as long as the photographer is doing the best he can of getting pictures to a model in a timely manner that doesnt interfer with bigger prioritys (ie-payed work.)than there should be no qualms..This thread was i believe started mainly to do with photographers who are just lazy or dont feel the models time was worth getting the pictures to her in a timely manner (ie...6 months done the road and still no pics...)But considering that most photographers who have posted in here probably do not take that long (at least i hope not), i think that if your getting a photographer to test with you for free, then you should be able to wait a few weeks to get your pics, and that should be the bottom line. If your that worried, like i said before put a clause that states the maximum amount of time your willing to wait to protect your interests, and hope that the photographer you want to shoot with is ok with that.

Apr 21 05 12:12 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

LOL...You said panties...

Apr 21 05 12:29 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Vance: 
I see several layers to this question..Let me tell you how I do things in my office..

TFP Shoots

1. If the model will take RAW images, she/he can have a disk at the end of the shoot.

2. If the model wants 4 retouched images, they get a disk at the end of the shoot and 1-2 weeks for the retouches.

3. If they want more than two retouches, they pay my design rates at a discount.

As many models are asking for the photos to be retouched..IE..Fixing wrinkles, blemishes and so on...not to mention the cool stuff we can all do...and for my fellow photographer who stated something about photoshop junkies..

I am a photoshop junkie, as well a a pretty good photog.. The top magazines photoshop everything. And while many trhings can be done in camera, there are a great many rquest for added effects and lighting....I am a fan of the "get it in camera" atttitude, but in todays world, people want those special effect extras. It all personal choice...no name calling....we all worked hard to learn our crafts. We are all artist....

Paid.

Client gets all agreed upon work with in two weeks on most projects..sooner on some later on others.

TFP is one thing..retouching a ton of pics is another pay scale..

In a nutshell.... :-)

Vance

Your a nut! (:--

Apr 21 05 01:32 am Link

Photographer

ActionShots Photo

Barboursville, West Virginia, US

Posted by BadPhotographer: 

Did not mean to offend... it was late and I was getting tired, maybe I should have explained myself a bit more completely.

Alot of my opinion is based on a few photographers that I have run across working with models I have also worked with. Nice guys, decent ideas but big name-droppers. I know models who have actually been forgetten and NEVER got the shots. Others have gotten the shots and all the guy did was lighten them to white-out the background.

Emage enhancement is one thing... digital creativity is something else. For those who are/were upset by my comment, I do truely apologize - but think about it... and be open with the models. A few shots with cutting edge editing and creativity is a great 'teaser tool' for more business... you don't have to do the whole 100 pics.

JUST A THOUGHT...

If you are going spend DAYS in front of the computer editing and being creative on a models shots that you are TFCD... then haven't you in-effect paid the model what you would have charged for those DAYS? From a business perspective, I think there are better ways to spend the time. What photographer needs 57 fully edited images with the same model unless they are putting a book together?

Again... my apologies to the offended... no harm meant.

Apr 21 05 08:08 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Posted by Udo R Photography: 

Posted by Britt: 

Yes, but THAT is not the type of favour I was talking about. Reese nailed it accurately.

I am talking about cases where a model comes to ME and tells me that she likes my work a lot and wants me to do a session with me... then THAT is the kind of favour I am talking about and we have to play by my rules. I also don't guarantee that the model will end up on my site... most likely, she/he will NOT end up on my site.

I am not building my portfolio and I am not a beginner, so I don't have to...

However, I had a girl approaching me a few weeks ago after a fashionshow and I did agree that I will shoot her for free... and why? Because I think that she looks GREAT! Very exotic and classical look... unusual... and she is supernice... and guess what... I will put some of her pix up on my site and am excited about that.

Oh... she will get her results as fast as possible.

::::Reese is furiously scribbling another kudo point in her book:::::

Apr 21 05 08:19 am Link

Model

Maria T

Lambertville, New Jersey, US

Posted by Kevin Palmer: 
Here is the problem. You are doing TFCD for your portfolio in your spare time. So is the photographer. Often, paid work comes up and takes priority over any "free" projects. I have been in that situation before. I doubt any photographers are purposely delaying the delivery. It takes a lot of time to retouch, color correct, print, add any effects, etc. Often models think that the images just go from the camera to the CD. That is never the case with my images. I spend a minimum of 2 hours on each photo. Often more. A model is only out the time it takes her in front of the camera. The photographer is out the time it takes to set up, shoot, tear down, upload, scan, develop, print, retouch, etc. This guy has a good format on his site...
http://www.lithiumpicnic.com/TFP_faq.html
That's exactly how I do it.

I totally agree. I must admit, I used to be selfish and ask and ask if the photographer has it yet. I have been fortunate to work with photographers that either give me the cd or prints the week after or day of if close to a studio. Don't be like the other models and wine.

Apr 21 05 08:44 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Okay, seriously let's think about this...

TFCD/TFP  should be a personal preference (for model or photographer or whomever)- like sugar in your coffee, or taking it black.

One shouldn't dictate to another person to not do trade work or how the trade should go (though in my opinion, it would be nice if offering trade work - you actually offer more than a pretty smile or a standard point and shoot photo.)

This isn't the 1940's. There are no time-trade Nazi's looking to mark your forehead with a "Reject" stamp.

Do what you want to do. If you want to do it - do it, if you don't - then don't. It's pretty simple. Not rocket science.

BUT REMEMBER realistically speaking a friend in need is not a friend indeed... but rather a friend in need is a straight up pest.

Whomever is doing the asking does not get to set all of the ground rules.  Be fair and reasonable in expectations.

Apr 21 05 09:31 am Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

I've never thought of TFP or TFCD as doing someone a favor. I always thought it was a talent barter and an agreement, value for value. If someone feels they are doing a favor, maybe it would be best to not get into those kinds of agreements ... and them break them. It seems to me the fastest way to ruin a good reputation is to go back on your word. If I say I'll get you something by Thursday, I'll do everything possible to make sure it happens or that you're OK with the change in plans.

Apr 22 05 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by Joe Kozlowski: 
I've never thought of TFP or TFCD as doing someone a favor. I always thought it was a talent barter and an agreement, value for value. If someone feels they are doing a favor, maybe it would be best to not get into those kinds of agreements ... and them break them.

I guess I wasn't clear enough and explained when a favor is a favor and not an exchange of talent... but I agree that once I enter an agreement, that I do my very best to get the material to him/her asap. (I always do, btw.). I just don't let someone pressure me beyond our agreement when I am offering a lot of my time and not getting anything in return.

Apr 22 05 03:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Miss Angela Simone

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

hey everyone.

I am a make up artist, and I have done TFP, and then never heard from the photographer again. GRRR.

Are photographers insulted/does it affect how they feel about the make up artist - if they bring a contract for them to sign that they will in fact receive the prints by a certain date, how many, etc???

so what is the best way for a mua to go about this? I obviously would rather not get screwed around, and I also don't want to rub people the wrong way either. But I would like my work to be taken seriously as this is my passion...

any input is appreciated!! thanks.

Apr 22 05 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by angela mcmillan: 
hey everyone.

I am a make up artist, and I have done TFP, and then never heard from the photographer again. GRRR.

Are photographers insulted/does it affect how they feel about the make up artist - if they bring a contract for them to sign that they will in fact receive the prints by a certain date, how many, etc???

so what is the best way for a mua to go about this? I obviously would rather not get screwed around, and I also don't want to rub people the wrong way either. But I would like my work to be taken seriously as this is my passion...

I am not sure how to handle it... if I promise a MUA prints from the shoot, I let her select the one she likes and she'll get them.

If someone doesn't keep his/her word, after it was clearly communicated and agreed upon, I won't do any further business with that person.

But in the case after the shoot... I'd bug the photographer until he gets you the photos... and I would make a mental note on what hassle it was to get the prints.

Apr 22 05 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Sometimes you will get the images right after the shoot.  Sometimes you will get the images in a week.  Sometimes you will get the images in a month.  Sometimes you will get the images in 3 months.  All in all, just don't bother me about them.  YOU WILL GET THEM!!

Apr 22 05 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

rwspangler

Springfield, Virginia, US

Now I remember why I don't do much tfp anymore!!! Paid work is always done first. that's what pays the rent!

Apr 23 05 05:14 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Posted by angela mcmillan: 
hey everyone.

I do regular trade work with ONLY two photographers that I have already worked with on other jobs...  It helps them and it helps me - it also keeps my personal portfolio over-head low as well as theirs.  No contract has been needed yet, but if you feel like having one - there should be no issue of offending anyone since the contract is a "payment" confimation agreement.  Just like a professional model or photographer - you need to get paid too.  No professional can begrudge you a small amount of clarity and protection as to your payment and the reciept of.

I personally don't play the "50/50" chance of getting photos game...

Apr 25 05 09:43 am Link

Photographer

studiomona

Great thread.

I find it very rewarding to do TFCD and/or TFP with new(er) models---I get to practice my light set up and improve photography skills and at the same time help aspiring models build up their portfolio. It is a win/win situation for both parties.   I guess it all depends on what the photog and model want from the shoot, and they can talk about that beforehand. But after the shoot, within a week's time is what I promise, I basically send out a cd of low res unretouched copies of all images (if shooting digital of course, batch processing to resize isn't that hard to do) from which the model will choose her 10 best images for me to work on further. After that I will send a final cd containing three different file formats of each image for different applications. As a bonus, I sometimes will throw in a couple or so prints in the mail.

The models I have worked with know that my word is good. It's all about ethics and respect for one another's work, just my own opinion on this matter:) After all, it is a collaboration so both parties should be equally satisfied with the outcome:)

Apr 25 05 12:24 pm Link