Forums > General Industry > Are GWCs the true 'Artists'?

Photographer

Henry Tjernlund

Koppel, Pennsylvania, US

raveneyes wrote:
A survey comparing mental health and the number of sexual partners among the general population, artists and schizophrenics found that artists are more likely to share key behavioural traits with schizophrenics, and that they have on average twice as many sexual partners as the rest of the population.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/news/sto … 61,00.html

I fear that I have too much of the social withdrawl and too little talent. But I wonder how much family and enviroment have to do with it. I grew up in a low income family where spending time, energy, and especially money, on creative things was somewhat discouraged. I do much better when I am in a supportive enviroment/relationship.

Henry

Dec 01 05 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Henry Tjernlund

Koppel, Pennsylvania, US

Pat Thielen wrote:
Right... just what is this "sex" thing you speak of? I have no memory of such a thing. I do believe you are speaking of a myth of sorts... Sex. Yeah, right.

And are you still an artist if all you have is clinical depression? I think that may qualify you as a Goth, but I'm not sure about the artist side. I've also heard that bi-polar disorder is the disease of the poet, but I'm not sure if that's been shown to be true or not.

And... I did find a website somewhere (sorry, I can't recall where) that studied what they felt was the "myth" of artistic insanity. While certain afflictions do tend to run in the artistic community, they don't seem to occur much more than with non-artists. I think the fame of the artist, and perhaps the romanticism of the artistic lifestyle, may bring mental illness more to the forefront when writing and reading about these people. Also, for an artist to be successfull, mental illness is a huge impermant to their success. Ever try to create work and market yourself when severely depressed? Doesn't happen. Inspiration seems to dry up, self-confidance falls, insomnia ensues, and of course the occasional panic attack. This isn't a very healthy environment to create and sell work. So, my theory is the really successfull artists are those that are either healthy, or have any mental illness they have well in check (although of course their are some who do function with severe mental illness; there are exceptions).

Anyway, just my opinion. Hopefully this doesn't demote me to GWC... that would really suck (actually, I'm a guy with multiple cameras).

-P-

Interesting comment and I agree with some of it. At risk of alarming others I admit that I have some problems with depression. Not severe, but it does seem to drain my energy (I have trouble with carrying out the ideas I get, I have hundreds of photos, art, and writing projects that are unfinished, I go in and out of having low self-esteeme.) But I keep coming back and trying it again, and again. Sometimes I do sense progress. What reall made my situation worse in the last few years was being the only sibling to give care to my mother in her last years. Everyone else wanted to put her in a care home which she did not want to do. But being the caregiver burned me out emotionally and financially.

Henry

Dec 01 05 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

right now I am an amateur. Maybe an artist, but I am definitely not anything else. Don't make money doing it. I spend a lot of time on it using inferior equipment. I have an art degree, but that doesn't really mean anything.

Dec 01 05 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Henry Tjernlund

Koppel, Pennsylvania, US

I think talent is not the ability to make something "new" or "unique". I mean you can, in principle, program a robot to take pictures of a subject from random angles, light setups, and angles. By random chance, a few are likely to come out "artistic" looking. So I can do that. No problem there. I think talent, what I lack, is the abilty to KNOW a certain combination is more aesthetic or even accurately pre-visualize an outcome rather than relying on chance.

I am techically competent photographic wise. But when I look at the aesthetics of my pictures, they tend to look the same "medocre." Some people will tell me that they "love" a certain picture and I dont see why. In fact, what I like is often different than what others like. Maybe there are different classifications of aesthetics like there are blood types. And maybe mine is an uncommon one.

Henry

Dec 01 05 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Krista Muller wrote:
right now I am an amateur. Maybe an artist, but I am definitely not anything else. Don't make money doing it. I spend a lot of time on it using inferior equipment. I have an art degree, but that doesn't really mean anything.

My browser's a problem for some reason, so it'll be questionable whether this comes through.  But you're doing nice work.  You need that sense of authority, but that will come with confidence.  So go for it.

Dec 01 05 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

Krista Muller wrote:

You're an artist...

Dec 01 05 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

J Sigerson

Los Angeles, California, US

Crazy people know (and attract) more crazy girls. Crazy things happen more often. Especially to the talented ones that can pull off "alpha male" at least within their peer group.

Google "Asperger's Syndrome" (some call it synonymous with High-Functioning Autism); I believe all the Autistic Spectrum Disorders are close cousins (or closer) with schizophrenia and other neurologically-based mental disorders. Artists are statistically over-represented in all Pervasive Developmental Disorders (as are scientists, hmmm).

What if there are brain structure abnormalities that can one day be linked to artistic talent? It's interesting, but kind of takes the fun out of it in a scientifically-measure-everything kind of way.

PS without art and music, I'd never have scored a tenth of the "action" I have. I'm far too socially backward, even (especially) to "GWC" it.

Dec 01 05 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

TJL

Lauderhill, Florida, US

Ivan123 wrote:

Lapis:  This is great!  thank you.

Here! Here!

I second that.

Dec 02 05 12:03 pm Link