Forums > General Industry > Do you pay attention to what you comment?!?!?!?!

Model

Steph M Anie

Harrison Township, Michigan, US

I feel I've been working very hard trying to get where I am and I know I have a VERY long way to go... the thing I don't understand though is the "I'm standing in my bathroom with my digital camera and taking a picture of myslef in the mirror" shot. DOESN'T THAT CRAP BELONG ON MYSPACE?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I understand trying to get yourself started thats fine, I know there's another post regarding this matter but that's actually not my point. I understand some of the girls that have this pictures are gorgeous but (ok here's the point) why are there comments say "great photo" "you look awesome" (most of these pictures are blurry) "i love this picture" "great work" etc. WHY THESE COMMENTS ON PICTURES LIKE THIS?!?!?!? I would completely understand comments like you're a beautiful girl, you've got a nice body blah blah blah... but comments about the pictures themselves being good?!?!?!? Am I doing something wrong? Should I take down all my images and stand in my bathroom in a towel and take pictures of myself? Maybe that way I'd get more recognition?!?!? I know picture tags and general tags don't make you a great model or great potential model but sometimes it feels like all the hard work that I'm doing is going unnoticed because of half-naked myspace type photos...

So my questions are; what am I doing wrong? Are people just overly nice? Are people just stupid (which as I've noticed is more likely the case)? How are these people getting so much publicity? And why do so many people get modelmayhem and myspace confused?!?!?!?

Thanks for listening to my rant... I feel better!!! smile

Nov 26 05 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Notice that most of the comments are from men.  Men like
attractive women like you.  The half naked shots get attention
because pretty women are half naked.  That leads to another
question; are men whores.

Nov 26 05 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

QuaeVide

Pacifica, California, US

50% of what men do around women is in the hope of getting laid, or at least seeing them naked. I would have thought women had figured that out by now.

Nov 26 05 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

You have a great portfolio and you are gorgeous.  If only you had just ONE self-portrait taken with a cell phone cam in a steamy bathroom mirror it would be perfect.  rraawwrr

Nov 26 05 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Stephanie M K wrote:
Am I doing something wrong? Should I take down all my images and stand in my bathroom in a towel and take pictures of myself? Maybe that way I'd get more recognition?!?!? I know picture tags and general tags don't make you a great model or great potential model but sometimes it feels like all the hard work that I'm doing is going unnoticed because of half-naked myspace type photos...

So my questions are; what am I doing wrong? Are people just overly nice? Are people just stupid (which as I've noticed is more likely the case)? How are these people getting so much publicity? And why do so many people get modelmayhem and myspace confused?!?!?!?

Some guys like to see girls who are naked to some degree, and they'll say so by typing in "Hot!"

Some photographers will see a pretty girl who they want to work with, regardless of the present quality of their photos. In fact, they're thinking that, "I can really do well with this one, because she'll want my high-quality stuff." So they'll type in something like, "You like great!" to encourage the model with the cruddy pictures to work with them.

The comments and tags are free, so there's no quality assurance to them. With some of them, you're looking at the lowest common denominator. Discard what doesn't sound good to you - pay attention to the ones that seem credible.

You've got a nice range of pictures, you're quite attractive, you're inviting photographers to help you with a wider range of photos for your portfolio, and your comments are pretty complete and show where you stand. I don't think you're doing anything wrong - with the exception that you clearly aren't interested in the type of work that I do.  (That's meant to be humorous.)

I hope that gave you some answers to your questions - except about Myspace, and I can't help you there, because I've not been to Myspace. Good luck.

Nov 26 05 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

The "digicam in the mirror self portrait" is a highly disciplined genre of photography that takes many years of study to master.  It's not something where someone just decides one day, "oh, I need a picture of myself, I think I'll point a digicam in the mirror."  The people who comment on these photos are extremely dedicated individuals who have learned to recognize the subtleties and technical challenges that need to be overcome to make such a photo stand out.  You should pay more attention to these comments before you criticize and maybe you'll learn a thing or two....

tonguetonguetonguetonguetongue

Nov 26 05 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

OK, after being flip, the question made me think.  There is so much tedious and endless discussion on these boards of who or what a pro is, an amateur (or worse, an amature) or lowest of all a GWC.  The fact is a lot of different people are on here for very different reasons.  A lot who click the "model" box are serious models or want to become serious models.  Others admit they are doing it for some fun.  Many are not serious but don't, or can't, admit it.  And I bet a lot just want their egos pumped up, they want someone to tell them they are beautiful.  Maybe even have a photographer make them beautiful, or capture their true beauty, depending on which side of the camera you are on.  I don't see the great harm in it.  A lot of this site IS like MySpace.  What are you going to do?  I think your complaint is just that anyone who wants to can pretty much get a free page here and a huge range of people choose to.  Some are seriously trying to be models or photographers, some are hobbyists, some are looking for an ego boost, and some are just having fun and playing make-believe. 

So now I have to go encourage girls to do self portraits in front of bathroom mirrors.

Nov 26 05 10:22 pm Link

Model

elisaveta ♀

New York, New York, US

QuaeVide wrote:
50% of what men do around women is in the hope of getting laid, or at least seeing them naked. I would have thought women had figured that out by now.

Thanks QuaeVide! I do HOPE that all women have realized that by now!!! Getting comments on here doesn't really mean much, and the lack of them, doesn't mean that the model is not good...
The funniest thing is people begging for comments on here...

Stephanie, keep doing what you're doing! This site is just for fun anyway...

Nov 26 05 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Stephanie M K wrote:
I feel I've been working very hard trying to get where I am and I know I have a VERY long way to go... the thing I don't understand though is the "I'm standing in my bathroom with my digital camera and taking a picture of myslef in the mirror" shot. DOESN'T THAT CRAP BELONG ON MYSPACE?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I understand trying to get yourself started thats fine, I know there's another post regarding this matter but that's actually not my point. I understand some of the girls that have this pictures are gorgeous but (ok here's the point) why are there comments say "great photo" "you look awesome" (most of these pictures are blurry) "i love this picture" "great work" etc. WHY THESE COMMENTS ON PICTURES LIKE THIS?!?!?!? I would completely understand comments like you're a beautiful girl, you've got a nice body blah blah blah... but comments about the pictures themselves being good?!?!?!? Am I doing something wrong? Should I take down all my images and stand in my bathroom in a towel and take pictures of myself? Maybe that way I'd get more recognition?!?!? I know picture tags and general tags don't make you a great model or great potential model but sometimes it feels like all the hard work that I'm doing is going unnoticed because of half-naked myspace type photos...

If I were you I would send some good snapshots, or a comp card, to every agency you can.  Even the local agencies that might handle local accounts, like the car dealers. Be sure to spend some time in the gym each week. I would not worry about getting work through MM or OMP.  If you do it's fine, but there will not be a lot of paid shoots.

If you can get your masters in Psychology. My ex wife has hers and she is doing real well.

Nov 26 05 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

Seeing elisaveta's page made me realize another thing.  OK, I admit,  I never leave comments (well, maybe three times so far) but if I did, and some girl puts silly pictures up and I figure she wants someone to tell her she is cute, I might tell her she is cute.  What's the harm?  But am I going to leave a comment for elisaveta saying "Oh, Babe, you are really gorgeous!"  What's the point?  Elisaveta is obviously serious about her work.  I don't know how successful she is but she looks like a pro.  If she doesn't already realize that she is gorgeous, then she doesn't need comments from me, she needs a therapist.  So maybe that is part of what the OP is observing.

Nov 26 05 10:38 pm Link

Model

elisaveta ♀

New York, New York, US

Ivan123 wrote:
Seeing elisaveta's page made me realize another thing.  OK, I admit,  I never leave comments (well, maybe three times so far) but if I did, and some girl puts silly pictures up and I figure she wants someone to tell her she is cute, I might tell her she is cute.  What's the harm?  But am I going to leave a comment for elisaveta saying "Oh, Babe, you are really gorgeous!"  What's the point?  Elisaveta is obviously serious about her work.  I don't know how successful she is but she looks like a pro.  If she doesn't already realize that she is gorgeous, then she doesn't need comments from me, she needs a therapist.  So maybe that is part of what the OP is observing.

Ivan, like i said it's all for fun... and i don't need a therapist...lol
I like to share what I do with others...that's all.

Nov 26 05 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Muir

Potomac, Maryland, US

QuaeVide wrote:

50%??

Nov 26 05 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

QuaeVide

Pacifica, California, US

Bruce Muir wrote:

50%??

Well I figure the other half of the time they're with their significant others ...

Nov 26 05 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

Wil with one L

Malibu, California, US

I think that some people comment on these "less than professional" photos as a way of encouraging the model and to build their confidence.

I just wish that once the model has shot with a good photographer, they would take those mirror shots down!

Nov 26 05 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Stephanie M K wrote:

Though I have never given  a "good pic" to a bathroom self pic, it seems to me that photographers who are just starting out or are not professional have a better chance of getting the opportunity to work with others with compliments.  For example,  I am quick to give kudos to a model that has nice work, but if she has had work done by photogs whos work has far surpassed mine, she will not even throw me a thanks for the compliment.  On the other hand, someone who is just starting out appreciates any compliment.

Nov 27 05 12:06 am Link

Model

Steph M Anie

Wil Fernandez wrote:
I think that some people comment on these "less than professional" photos as a way of encouraging the model and to build their confidence.

I just wish that once the model has shot with a good photographer, they would take those mirror shots down!

Exactly what I was thinking... I'm wondering if that brings up the ego to leave the mirror shots up that have a gazillion you're hot comments on them... I think that could be the case!!!

Nov 27 05 01:36 pm Link

Model

Steph M Anie

Justin wrote:

Some guys like to see girls who are naked to some degree, and they'll say so by typing in "Hot!"

Some photographers will see a pretty girl who they want to work with, regardless of the present quality of their photos. In fact, they're thinking that, "I can really do well with this one, because she'll want my high-quality stuff." So they'll type in something like, "You like great!" to encourage the model with the cruddy pictures to work with them.

The comments and tags are free, so there's no quality assurance to them. With some of them, you're looking at the lowest common denominator. Discard what doesn't sound good to you - pay attention to the ones that seem credible.

You've got a nice range of pictures, you're quite attractive, you're inviting photographers to help you with a wider range of photos for your portfolio, and your comments are pretty complete and show where you stand. I don't think you're doing anything wrong - with the exception that you clearly aren't interested in the type of work that I do.  (That's meant to be humorous.)

I hope that gave you some answers to your questions - except about Myspace, and I can't help you there, because I've not been to Myspace. Good luck.

Very good insight... I don't think I really took the "aspiring photographer" look on the situatation!!! I guess it is better to have fewer comments with substanance than "you're hot" because in this industry that doesn't mean much always!!!

Nov 27 05 01:41 pm Link

Model

Seth Mitchell

Long Beach, California, US

So....does this mean you are not going to take a picture of yourself with a digital wearing just a towel? 

DAMN!!!

Nov 27 05 01:44 pm Link

Model

Steph M Anie

Seth wrote:
So....does this mean you are not going to take a picture of yourself with a digital wearing just a towel? 

DAMN!!!

I'm still considering that... It will probably add a lot to my portfolio I'M SURE!!!! tongue

Nov 27 05 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Rowen

Gibsonia, Pennsylvania, US

Ive often been amazed by these kinds of comments myself.  Some of the pics I've seen where the comments say "awesome pic", "great shot", etc. have twisted my neural pathways beyond the point of recognition. However, I think you have inadvertently defined one of the major differences between a decent photographer and a GWC.  One can tell a good shot when he/she see it.  The other cannot - or can only see the woman as a sex object through the bad photography presented.

Just my 0.02

-Rowen

Nov 27 05 01:53 pm Link

Model

Seth Mitchell

Stephanie M K wrote:

I'm still considering that... It will probably add a lot to my portfolio I'M SURE!!!! tongue

LOL...good come-back, glad you have a sense of humor about the whole thing. 

Oh, and in terms of the split ratio posted earlier, I must disagree all. I am working at a comfortable  60-20-20

60% Sex
20% Food
20% Sleep

Nov 27 05 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

MS Photo Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

However you use this board, I think we all want some form of validation. All of us think we have potential, comments even if they are justified or not provide that.

mike

Nov 27 05 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

i try and leave positive and sometime encouraging remarks...it seems to work, as i get them in return.

Nov 27 05 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Vihao

MCLEAN, Texas, US

Stephanie, was the Skittles bikini something you bought or made?

Nov 27 05 02:15 pm Link

Model

Steph M Anie

Seth wrote:
LOL...good come-back, glad you have a sense of humor about the whole thing. 

Oh, and in terms of the split ratio posted earlier, I must disagree all. I am working at a comfortable  60-20-20

60% Sex
20% Food
20% Sleep

If you can't laugh at yourself and keep humor... you're going to be screwed!!!!

Nov 27 05 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

I think we should all attempt to write haiku comments from now on,

5    Like floating blossums
7    That the fairy-bright tree weeps
5    Your image cries, home

Nov 27 05 02:18 pm Link

Model

Steph M Anie

Vihao wrote:
Stephanie, was the Skittles bikini something you bought or made?

The photographer that I worked with actually made it!!! It was made out of a real skittles bag!!!! He originally made the whole thing out of skittles stringed together but when he came back to it is urned into a big ball of sugar... So it was actually not the original plan but I think it turned out better!!!

Nov 27 05 02:20 pm Link

Model

Steph M Anie

Star wrote:
I think we should all attempt to write haiku comments from now on,

5    Like floating blossums
7    That the fairy-bright tree weeps
5    Your image cries, home

I would love if I only got haiku comments!!! That would be phenominal!!!! However... I would be able to comment back to people because my haiku writing abilities are less than desirable (as is my spelling 99% of the time and grammer but let's not get into that right now!!!! HAHAHAHA)

Nov 27 05 02:22 pm Link

Model

Brandy Engle

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

*blinks*

Okie. I have a digital photo taken in my bathroom mirror shot. tongue
But alas, that has zero comments. haha. (also: I do not have any new shots of my hair.) The funny thing is I'm wearing ZERO makeup; but I made the picture yellow to take attention away from the hidious facenous.

Umm...I don't really pay much mind to the comments, though flattering, not that important.  I think the more active you make yourself on the forums--the more the comments and compliments come in. *shrug* That's my opinon.

Nov 27 05 02:44 pm Link

Model

Steph M Anie

Brandy Engle wrote:
But alas, that has zero comments. haha. (also: I do not have any new shots of my hair.) The funny thing is I'm wearing ZERO makeup; but I made the picture yellow to take attention away from the hidious facenous.

Ok but that's almost a little different... It's showing a new hair style so photographers or whomever wants to work with you knows there's a change not because "oh look at sexy me being pointless"

Nov 27 05 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

QuaeVide

Pacifica, California, US

Michael Sloane wrote:
However you use this board, I think we all want some form of validation. All of us think we have potential, comments even if they are justified or not provide that.

mike

If you aren't fussy about who provides the comments, then you'll get a lot more posting on other sites, such as Deviant Art (where I have received 350 comments, compared with about 5 on MM).

Nov 27 05 04:52 pm Link

Model

Inferi

Eagan, Minnesota, US

markcomp wrote:

For example,  I am quick to give kudos to a model that has nice work, but if she has had work done by photogs whos work has far surpassed mine, she will not even throw me a thanks for the compliment.  On the other hand, someone who is just starting out appreciates any compliment.

That is unfortunate.  It shouldn't matter who a comment comes from; all comments should be viewed as equally important.

Nov 27 05 05:03 pm Link

Model

Jerry Deer

Lakeland, Florida, US

I pay attention to each and every comment that I make. At least 98% of my comments come from the heart. I can care less about a full nude or half nude woman. I think all women are beautiful in their on special way. Give the best comment to all even if the pictures are not the best.

Nov 27 05 05:08 pm Link

Model

Brandy Engle

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Stephanie M K wrote:
Ok but that's almost a little different... It's showing a new hair style so photographers or whomever wants to work with you knows there's a change not because "oh look at sexy me being pointless"

Yeah. I am often surprised when people post really bad webcam/digi shots of themselves on their MM profile because isn't it stronglyyy suggested to use professional shots of you on your MM profile??

I think the only other reason that you should put some amatuerish shots of yourself in the mirror is to show your current status so you aren't being deceptive. I don't want people to think they are getting the same look as all the other pictures. hah

Nov 27 05 05:26 pm Link

Model

Seth Mitchell

Brandy Engle wrote:
*blinks*

Umm...I don't really pay much mind to the comments, though flattering, not that important.  I think the more active you make yourself on the forums--the more the comments and compliments come in. *shrug* That's my opinon.

I added a comment smile

Nov 27 05 05:30 pm Link

Model

Seth Mitchell

Darn...sorry, I forgot to use Haiku.

Nov 27 05 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

The simple woo-hoo
Triumphs the helpful comment
All being equal

The page lightens bright
Glowing as sunshine - alas
The towel is not mine.

Nov 27 05 05:39 pm Link

Model

Seth Mitchell

Justin wrote:
The simple woo-hoo
Triumphs the helpful comment
All being equal

The page lightens bright
Glowing as sunshine - alas
The towel is not mine.

Bravo!!!

Nov 27 05 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Glen Berry

Huntington, West Virginia, US

Stephanie M K wrote:
I would completely understand comments like you're a beautiful girl, you've got a nice body blah blah blah... but comments about the pictures themselves being good?

One thing to keep in mind, is the notion that a lot of people browsing this site probably know very little about judging the technical aspects of photographs. A skilled photographer is more likely to know how to intelligently evaluate a photograph than many of the models on this site. Even some of the newer photographers seem a bit lacking in this department. Some of these more questionable comments of praise might be coming from a person who simply doesn't understand the technical aspects or traditions of photography.

Another possibility, is that some people leaving comments such as "good picture" aren't referring to the technical qualities of the image, but to the emotional impact they receive from viewing it. If it touches them emotionally, intellectually, or even hormonally (unfortunately), to them it's a "good" picture -- good in the sense that it is effective in getting their attention in some positive way.

As others have mentioned, sometimes people are simply trying to offer encouragement to a beginning model. Though I have to say, there has to be a better way to go about it.

The type of comment that bugs me most, are those "You're so hot!" type of comments. It's one thing to acknowledge beauty, but some of these are very sleazy sounding.

Lastly, consider yourself lucky to be a model. We photographers typically get far fewer comments of any sort, in comparison to the models. I'll let you propose your own theories why that might be.  wink

Now, please excuse me while I examine your portfolio and try to leave some reasonably intelligent comments.  wink

take care,
Glen

Nov 27 05 09:18 pm Link

Model

Steph M Anie

Glen Berry wrote:
One thing to keep in mind, is the notion that a lot of people browsing this site probably know very little about judging the technical aspects of photographs. A skilled photographer is more likely to know how to intelligently evaluate a photograph than many of the models on this site. Even some of the newer photographers seem a bit lacking in this department. Some of these more questionable comments of praise might be coming from a person who simply doesn't understand the technical aspects or traditions of photography.

Another possibility, is that some people leaving comments such as "good picture" aren't referring to the technical qualities of the image, but to the emotional impact they receive from viewing it. If it touches them emotionally, intellectually, or even hormonally (unfortunately), to them it's a "good" picture -- good in the sense that it is effective in getting their attention in some positive way.

As others have mentioned, sometimes people are simply trying to offer encouragement to a beginning model. Though I have to say, there has to be a better way to go about it.

The type of comment that bugs me most, are those "You're so hot!" type of comments. It's one thing to acknowledge beauty, but some of these are very sleazy sounding.

Lastly, consider yourself lucky to be a model. We photographers typically get far fewer comments of any sort, in comparison to the models. I'll let you propose your own theories why that might be.  wink

Now, please excuse me while I examine your portfolio and try to leave some reasonably intelligent comments.  wink

take care,
Glen

~Edit~
not a happy camper... I just typed a response and it didn't post what I typed!!! GGGRRRR... So I'll paraphrase it!!!

I agree with the "hot" comments... they aren't helpful... there's is no purpose to them for an aspiring model besides the ego boost (and sometimes people need that). I would perfer comments such as "great work because..." or "improve..." because in the long run those comments will help further my career than... "you're hot" I'm a model I know I'm hot damnit!! tongue HAHAHAHAHA!!! I think the reason comments about not great images getting the "great pic" comment bothers me so much because I look at people's work (as well as my own) with a very critical eye. I don't think it's about taking pictures, it's about art!!!

And that's the general jist of what the original response I wanted to post said... I think the original was more eliquently worded however!!!

Nov 27 05 11:07 pm Link