Forums > General Industry > Do you pay attention to what you comment?!?!?!?!

Photographer

Glen Berry

Huntington, West Virginia, US

Oh by the way, I tried to leave you some comments earlier, but the server was pretty congested. I'll try it again now...

take care,
Glen

Nov 28 05 01:00 am Link

Photographer

Glen Berry

This is wierd. I also had a post come up missing just now.

I wanted to say that I review a model's portfolio differently than a photographer's portfolio. I tend to not mention a lot about the technical aspects of a photograph when reviewing a model's portfolio, and I concentrate on those things the model had control of at the time of the shoot. I figure that this is what a model wants a critique of most anway.

If the photo has very noticeable technical issues, I will sometimes make comments. For example, if a model has only blurry webcam photos in their portfolio, I will politely suggest that their portfolio will look much better after they have shot with a variety of photographers.  wink

I should mention, that I just critiqued a few of your portfolio images. I made an exception in your case, because you seemed to be hungering for more details in your critiques. I hope I didn't go too far overboard. Many of the issues I raised are minor issues. Nearly any image on MM could be improved in some way, and that defintely includes my own images. So, please don't feel like I was picking on you. I just wanted to show you what it would be like if I didn't hold anything back during a critique.

You're a lovely model, and anyone would be lucky to shoot with you.

take care,
Glen

Nov 28 05 02:05 am Link

Photographer

Deleted UserNotFOund

Lakewood, Washington, US

Damn, I commented on one of your images in haiku but line breaks weren't recognized.  Anyways, I think a gallery show of blurry digi-cam phone photos of people in towels shot through a dirty mirror sounds like a great idea.

Though I wouldn't leave praising comments about the quality on a model's photo like that, for a nobody, just-starting photographer, it seems easier to get TFP work with models who only have that type of photo in their portfolio, since they seem to be just starting themselves and need to pad their portfolio to show to potential paying photographers.  I have sent messages before like "you appear to have great potential as a model but your shots are blurry, if you would like some better quality shots contact me, etc. etc.".

Nov 28 05 03:12 am Link

Model

Steph M Anie

Harrison Township, Michigan, US

Glen Berry wrote:
This is wierd. I also had a post come up missing just now.

I wanted to say that I review a model's portfolio differently than a photographer's portfolio. I tend to not mention a lot about the technical aspects of a photograph when reviewing a model's portfolio, and I concentrate on those things the model had control of at the time of the shoot. I figure that this is what a model wants a critique of most anway.

If the photo has very noticeable technical issues, I will sometimes make comments. For example, if a model has only blurry webcam photos in their portfolio, I will politely suggest that their portfolio will look much better after they have shot with a variety of photographers.  wink

I should mention, that I just critiqued a few of your portfolio images. I made an exception in your case, because you seemed to be hungering for more details in your critiques. I hope I didn't go too far overboard. Many of the issues I raised are minor issues. Nearly any image on MM could be improved in some way, and that defintely includes my own images. So, please don't feel like I was picking on you. I just wanted to show you what it would be like if I didn't hold anything back during a critique.

You're a lovely model, and anyone would be lucky to shoot with you.

take care,
Glen

Glen,

As I told you already... THANK YOU!!!!! You're a great help!!!! smile

~Stephanie~

Nov 28 05 08:59 am Link

Model

Steph M Anie

Justin Engelman wrote:
Damn, I commented on one of your images in haiku but line breaks weren't recognized.  Anyways, I think a gallery show of blurry digi-cam phone photos of people in towels shot through a dirty mirror sounds like a great idea.

Though I wouldn't leave praising comments about the quality on a model's photo like that, for a nobody, just-starting photographer, it seems easier to get TFP work with models who only have that type of photo in their portfolio, since they seem to be just starting themselves and need to pad their portfolio to show to potential paying photographers.  I have sent messages before like "you appear to have great potential as a model but your shots are blurry, if you would like some better quality shots contact me, etc. etc.".

Thank you for the haiku!!!! It made my day!!!! Messages like the ones you leave for digi-cam phone models are completely understandable. I see nothing wrong with telling someone they have potential!!! My biggest complaint is the praise of the actual "picture" not the model!!!! Also, the praise of the model should be in a contructive way such as "you have potential" "you're a beautiful girl you could do great work" etc. and NOT "you're hot" and equally pointless comments!!!

Nov 28 05 09:04 am Link

Photographer

Glen Berry

Stephanie M K wrote:
Also, the praise of the model should be in a contructive way such as "you have potential" "you're a beautiful girl you could do great work" etc. and NOT "you're hot" and equally pointless comments!!!

Yes, some of those comments are quite suggestive and inappropriate. The models should delete these lecherous comments, but for some reason they don't. You will notice that I don't retain any such lascivious comments or lewd invitations in my portfolio. A photographer has his professional reputation to look after, you know.

Okay, I admit it. I haven't received any such lacivious comments yet, but my finger is poised over the delete button, just in case.  smile

take care,
Glen

Nov 28 05 11:58 am Link

Model

Lady Bronze

Los Angeles, California, US

OP, you are a very beautiful girl with a great portfolio..dont worry about those commenters..

if they are GWC's..or whatever..you wouldnt want to be associated with them anyways...

you have a lot to be proud of smile

Nov 30 05 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Marc Neuffer

Beverly Hills, California, US

You are not doing anything wrong...just remember what we learned from "The Wizzard of Oz" ... towards the end of the movie ..."pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

Consider all those un-deserved gushing comments as just white-noise.

Nov 30 05 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

nrvphotography

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

I just don't throw out a comment unless the composition (pose, setting, expression) or lighting is good. I do like to encourage newcomers-like myself (models and photographers alike). And I consider my comments to be in good taste; altho I HAVE used the word "enticing" or "enchanting" once or twice! smile

I appreciate any comments I get good or bad.

Ken

Nov 30 05 04:04 pm Link

Model

Steph M Anie

Lady Bronze wrote:
OP, you are a very beautiful girl with a great portfolio..dont worry about those commenters..

if they are GWC's..or whatever..you wouldnt want to be associated with them anyways...

you have a lot to be proud of smile

So true!!!! I don't want to be associated with creeps just trying to get in my pants... I find enough of those at the bars, I don't need them when I'm trying to get work!!!!! And THANK YOU!!!!!

Nov 30 05 09:05 pm Link

Model

Steph M Anie

Marc Neuffer wrote:
"The Wizzard of Oz" ... towards the end of the movie ..."pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

PERFECT!!! I love it!!! Wizard of Oz = My favorite movie!!!!

Nov 30 05 09:06 pm Link

Model

Steph M Anie

nrvphotography wrote:
I just don't throw out a comment unless the composition (pose, setting, expression) or lighting is good. I do like to encourage newcomers-like myself (models and photographers alike). And I consider my comments to be in good taste; altho I HAVE used the word "enticing" or "enchanting" once or twice! smile

I appreciate any comments I get good or bad.

Ken

Enticing and enchanting are encouraging words they have a positive, pleasant connotation... Hot... sleazy!!!!

Nov 30 05 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Some of the most creative art has been self portraits, soon most photos will be taken with camera phones so it seems like the really edgey models will have all self portraits with cameraphones. And who can resist the catchy titles? Ya gotta love it!
on the other hand you might be right
Bob

Nov 30 05 11:15 pm Link

Model

Steph M Anie

Robert Helm wrote:
Some of the most creative art has been self portraits, soon most photos will be taken with camera phones so it seems like the really edgey models will have all self portraits with cameraphones. And who can resist the catchy titles? Ya gotta love it!
on the other hand you might be right
Bob

Call it lack of sleep... I thought for a second you were being serious... ok that's the hint... Stephanie get off MM and go to bed!!!!!

Dec 01 05 02:24 am Link

Photographer

Saerbreathach_Photos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Stephanie M K wrote:
I feel I've been working very hard trying to get where I am and I know I have a VERY long way to go... the thing I don't understand though is the "I'm standing in my bathroom with my digital camera and taking a picture of myslef in the mirror" shot. DOESN'T THAT CRAP BELONG ON MYSPACE?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I understand trying to get yourself started thats fine, I know there's another post regarding this matter but that's actually not my point. I understand some of the girls that have this pictures are gorgeous but (ok here's the point) why are there comments say "great photo" "you look awesome" (most of these pictures are blurry) "i love this picture" "great work" etc. WHY THESE COMMENTS ON PICTURES LIKE THIS?!?!?!? I would completely understand comments like you're a beautiful girl, you've got a nice body blah blah blah... but comments about the pictures themselves being good?!?!?!? Am I doing something wrong? Should I take down all my images and stand in my bathroom in a towel and take pictures of myself? Maybe that way I'd get more recognition?!?!? I know picture tags and general tags don't make you a great model or great potential model but sometimes it feels like all the hard work that I'm doing is going unnoticed because of half-naked myspace type photos...

So my questions are; what am I doing wrong? Are people just overly nice? Are people just stupid (which as I've noticed is more likely the case)? How are these people getting so much publicity? And why do so many people get modelmayhem and myspace confused?!?!?!?

Thanks for listening to my rant... I feel better!!! smile

As a photographer struggling to always improve this pisses me off too...i can't stand the compliments on these crappy shots when everything i've shot is ten times better (i'm talking about the mirror type shots) these are just guys that give out all this praise so the girl will model for them.. i mean who cares if she's hot, most of the models on here are hot and most seem to have an actual portfolio. Another thing that bugs me is the people asking for comments.. get a life, if someone really likes a shot you've done they'll comment, but don't go begging for it, for me its enough that people see my images everything else is secondary.

Dec 01 05 10:53 am Link