Forums > General Industry > What do you do when you are drawing a blank?

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Okay, maybe I've been hosting too many sittings lately, or maybe I've just got a post turkey torpidity, but I got a problem.  A wonderful model is traveling through town tomorrow.  I've worked with her a couple of times before, and we've made terrific pictures.  She's great & fun to be around & looks great.

My problem:  I'm drawing a blank -- I don't know what I want to do with her!  I'm drawing a total blank.  I suppose I could revisit old ideas & lighting setups & such, but both she & I deserve better.  She's non-local & doesn't come through town often, so I don't want to beg out or reschedule.

So, what do you guys do when you want to shake things up but you can't figure out how?

Nov 25 05 09:49 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Sharpen the pencil.

Or use finger paints with the dogs if the nieces are not around.

Nov 25 05 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

dB.

New York, New York, US

It's like a relationship. When things don't work out, there's allways sex.

No, no, I am not suggesting you sleep with your model. Go back to the basics. Shoot something simple where she can shine and feel adventurous. For example, stop the traffic and take pictures of her crawling on the asphalt?

Nov 25 05 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

You didn't give us a clue as to what this model may need for her book??
If she has a need for a certain look you could try doing that for her.

But after looking at your work, I gotta believe that she is shooting with you because she likes what you do. And you do it VERY well, btw.

If time permits, shoot the type of stuff you normall do (remember, all I can see of your work is on your profile here) and then try something different...experiment with something new.

Remember, she is shooting with you because she likes YOUR work....so do it well.

Nov 25 05 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

My problem seems to be exact opposite of yours. So many ideas and so little time to pull them off.

I always believed that if you hit point blank, you should go back to the basics. I say you should do the cheesy stuff again...

Nov 25 05 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson

MarkMarek wrote:
My problem seems to be exact opposite of yours. So many ideas and so little time to pull them off.

I always believed that if you hit point blank, you should go back to the basics. I say you should do the cheesy stuff again...

What are you talking about?

Nov 25 05 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

EyeOnYouModels wrote:
What are you talking about?

Which part did you not understand?

Nov 25 05 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

Digiography

Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

EyeOnYouModels wrote:
You didn't give us a clue as to what this model may need for her book??
If she has a need for a certain look you could try doing that for her.

But after looking at your work, I gotta believe that she is shooting with you because she likes what you do. And you do it VERY well, btw.

If time permits, shoot the type of stuff you normall do (remember, all I can see of your work is on your profile here) and then try something different...experiment with something new.

Remember, she is shooting with you because she likes YOUR work....so do it well.

Exactly, ask her what she needs or would like in a shot. 

You could also sit down with her over a good magazine like fashion quarterly and look for a shot that will inspire.  Breathe deep, don't sweat it, it will all evolve once you start pushing the shutter release.

Nov 25 05 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson

MarkMarek wrote:

Which part did you not understand?

The part where you call his work "cheesy".

Nov 25 05 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

EyeOnYouModels wrote:
The part where you call his work "cheesy".

I never called anyones work cheesy. I said that if you you're stuck you should go back to the stuff you were doing when you started (which one could refer to as cheesy when looking back at his/her work) but it often proves to be a stimulant and can get you back on track. wink

Nov 25 05 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I quit and come back in two years.  Or I read books and drink too much.

-Don

Nov 25 05 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson

MarkMarek wrote:

I never called anyones work cheeasy. I said that if you you're stuck you should go back to the stuff you were doing when you started (which one could refer to as cheesy when looking back at his/her work) but it often proves to be a stimulant and can get you back on track. wink

Glad to hear that you weren't calling his work cheesy, though ya gotta see that it did seem that way.
With this much needed clarification, I would agree with you.

Nov 25 05 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

EyeOnYouModels wrote:
Glad to hear that you weren't calling his work cheesy, though ya gotta see that it did seem that way.

Never meant to make it sound that way. I have over 700 posts but you can browse forums as much as you like and track all of my posts down, but you will not find a single one in which I would mock someones work. This is not the way I do it. I've seen it happen many times, but never ever has it come from me. Ever.

Mark

Nov 25 05 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

When you're out of ideas, steal someone else's.

Nov 25 05 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Images By Amber

San Diego, California, US

EyeOnYouModels wrote:

I understood it the first time :]

hmm

Nov 26 05 01:24 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Olivier

Ask her for HER ideas . Afterall this is part of her work too. Anyone else involved in that shoot? MUA, Stylists, Hairstylists have great ideas too , why not work as a team .

Nov 26 05 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

TJL

Lauderhill, Florida, US

I did my fifth shoot with an out-of-town model, and on Thanksgiving.

We unintentionally did a few things that took us back to our very first shoot.

The moment I realized one of those moments, I mentioned it to her, and she agreed. And when she realized something, she mentioned it to me.

You can also give your model the floor to see what she comes up with. There are many models who have their desired shoots in their profiles. They want to do certain things, but cannot find photographers who will accomodate them.

Nov 26 05 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

LOl I agree with brian, stela someone else's .............Hmmm just dont say your stealing it, your just borrowing it.

Hope it goes well

Nov 26 05 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Slow down on the Bong Hits..............

(:--------

Hj

Nov 26 05 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

This may sound strange, but it helps me:

When I draw a blank on ideas, I'll pick up a book and read.  The lack of pictures forces me to visualize the scenes; creating moods, looks, etc.  You can try that and use the model to create your own vision of what you read.  Considering the work you do, reading some soft erotica (the best seems to be stories written by women... not that I err... read it myself) would give you plenty of fresh ideas.

Nov 26 05 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Michael LaPolla

Utica, New York, US

Use the ideation process

Nov 26 05 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

MS Photo Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Okay, maybe I've been hosting too many sittings lately, or maybe I've just got a post turkey torpidity, but I got a problem.  A wonderful model is traveling through town tomorrow.  I've worked with her a couple of times before, and we've made terrific pictures.  She's great & fun to be around & looks great.

My problem:  I'm drawing a blank -- I don't know what I want to do with her!  I'm drawing a total blank.  I suppose I could revisit old ideas & lighting setups & such, but both she & I deserve better.  She's non-local & doesn't come through town often, so I don't want to beg out or reschedule.

So, what do you guys do when you want to shake things up but you can't figure out how?

Depends are you drawing a blank for this model or in general?

When I hit a general creative block, I usally take a short hiatus from photography.

If it's with the model maybe your collaboration has run it's course. I've found that working with the same model (especially in the same setting like a studio) some sessions are better than others (and longer). Try an idea you haven't done before. I looked at your website, maybe something like with the dance photos using a slower shutter speed.

Good Luck.

Nov 26 05 02:48 pm Link

Model

Brandy Engle

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

I look at things I like.

japanesestreets.com

I like japanese fashion. It's so cool. haha

I f-off a lot...

I still need to design myself a new site. 0_0

Nov 26 05 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Drink.  Dream.  Write down your dreams.  smile

Nov 26 05 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

A wonderful model is traveling through town tomorrow.  I've worked with her a couple of times before, and we've made terrific pictures.  She's great & fun to be around & looks great.

Betcee May, perhaps? I had a great time shooting with her. We drove around and stopped at a couple places and did some things I had planned, but from her standpoint, it probably looked off-the-cuff. She was very fun, and I had a great time shooting with her. https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic_id=429b1311f1b52 was taken in cold weather at the top of a parking garage (as you can see from the background).

If it is her, just pick out some clothes, or not, and put her somewhere. She'll start posting with what's available and make you look good. After a bit, the creative mechanism will be grinding away.

Nov 26 05 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

I normally step outside my personal box. Some of my best photos have come from it.

Nov 26 05 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I rarely know what I will do with the model before the shoot... I let it flow organically and utilize props or locations as they come up.

Only sometimes, I have a concept for something specific...

I probably would start worrying right now and just trust your creativity and that you know what you want to do when she is coming.

But everybody is different.

Udo

Nov 26 05 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Justin wrote:
Betcee May, perhaps?

No, not her.  I've had the pleasure of working the Betcee a few times, and we've become close (exchanging e-mails on occasion).  In fact, a Betcee sitting is next in the queue for my darkroom.

The model in question is Coral (https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=18332); she is fun, easy to be around, and certainly easy on the eyes.  We did some simple things -- semi-elegant lighting & a few skewed ideas.  We'll soon see what develops (yes, a photographic pun!).

Nov 26 05 06:10 pm Link

Model

Inferi

Eagan, Minnesota, US

Listen to music.  Music always inspires creativity in me!

Nov 26 05 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Talk with the model, look through magazines,etc.
Don`t copy what you see though,add your own twists.

Nov 26 05 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

dB. wrote:
It's like a relationship. When things don't work out, there's allways sex.

No, no, I am not suggesting you sleep with your model. Go back to the basics. Shoot something simple where she can shine and feel adventurous. For example, stop the traffic and take pictures of her crawling on the asphalt?

https://glamourboulevard.com/sabina/pages/DSC_9736.html

Nov 26 05 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Wil with one L

Malibu, California, US

Olivier wrote:
Ask her for HER ideas . Afterall this is part of her work too. Anyone else involved in that shoot? MUA, Stylists, Hairstylists have great ideas too , why not work as a team .

bingo!

Nov 26 05 07:41 pm Link

Model

Steph M Anie

Harrison Township, Michigan, US

She's beautiful and VERY tall!!! Try to show that off!!!! Just my 2 cents!!

Nov 26 05 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Sounds like you could use a trip to the art section of your local library or Barnes & Nobles to get the juices restarted.

Nov 26 05 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

UdoR wrote:

I rarely know what I will do with the model before the shoot... I let it flow organically and utilize props or locations as they come up.

Only sometimes, I have a concept for something specific...

I probably would start worrying right now and just trust your creativity and that you know what you want to do when she is coming.

But everybody is different.

Udo

I usually don't have anything planned for a shoot. I am usually inspired by the model and what she brings. Sometimes, models ask me to do something specific and I usually accomodate them.

Jeff

Nov 26 05 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

Latent Image64

Hingham, Massachusetts, US

I usually challenge myself by deconstructing, then reconstructing a photo from a tear sheet from a magazine. This usually helps myself and my model get creative
for the photoshoot. Okay, so it works for me!

from the mouths of babes!!!

Nov 27 05 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Wil with one L

Malibu, California, US

look to reefer.

Nov 27 05 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Glen Berry

Huntington, West Virginia, US

Wow. A lot of people are suggesting to look at other people's photos, or look at other forms of visual art. I would only do this as a last resort.

I would rather suggest that you try something you have never tried before. It could be a certain photographic technique you have never tried, a totally different style of lighting perhaps, or try a drastically different location for your shoot. If you always shoot with strobes, try available light this time. If you always shoot indoors, go outside this time. If you always shoot color, try shooting with B&W in mind. You can also look for unusual places to shoot. Try the inside of your car, a phone booth, a walk-in closet, a tennis court, an urban basketball court with pavement instead of a wood floor, an alley with lots of gritty urban character, the front steps of the local police station, rent a very fancy hotel room--just find something different to shake things up for you.

If none of this works, maybe it's time to take a break from shooting for awhile? (Only you can answer that question.)

good luck,
Glen

Nov 27 05 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

I spend time with things from my past that mean something to me.

Nov 27 05 02:40 pm Link

Model

Brandy Engle

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Glen Berry wrote:
Wow. A lot of people are suggesting to look at other people's photos, or look at other forms of visual art. I would only do this as a last resort.

For the record, I suggested f*cking off. blahahahhaa.

(As in: focusing attention to something else you shouldn't be doing.)

Nov 27 05 02:49 pm Link