Forums > General Industry > What do you do when you are drawing a blank?

Photographer

Latent Image64

Hingham, Massachusetts, US

Glen Berry wrote:
Wow. A lot of people are suggesting to look at other people's photos, or look at other forms of visual art. I would only do this as a last resort.

I would rather suggest that you try something you have never tried before. It could be a certain photographic technique you have never tried, a totally different style of lighting perhaps, or try a drastically different location for your shoot. If you always shoot with strobes, try available light this time. If you always shoot indoors, go outside this time. If you always shoot color, try shooting with B&W in mind. You can also look for unusual places to shoot. Try the inside of your car, a phone booth, a walk-in closet, a tennis court, an urban basketball court with pavement instead of a wood floor, an alley with lots of gritty urban character, the front steps of the local police station, rent a very fancy hotel room--just find something different to shake things up for you.

I make that reconstructing statement because it was discussed in a thread I started. It was kinda tongue and cheek comment,

If none of this works, maybe it's time to take a break from shooting for awhile? (Only you can answer that question.)

good luck,
Glen

Nov 27 05 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Latent Image64

Hingham, Massachusetts, US

looknsee will understand my comment.

Nov 27 05 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

Head out and have a beer or something....  Relax man - it isn't like one day you'll just stop having creativity...  So just spend a little time away - when you're ready then you'll be back stronger...  If you're getting paid to do this shoot then suck it up and make something happen - if it's for your own personal expansion, relax - for every good opp you get - there's tons more waitng right behind them...  Seriously - last year I got so burned out on doing art I literally quit working for like 6 months....  Sometimes you gotta do what cha gotta do

Nov 27 05 04:06 pm Link