Forums > General Industry > "No show" status

Model

Barbray

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I do not do BLIND anything for anyone at any time.
I research. I network. I check out their portfolios.
I contact photographers/models I know and trust
BEFORE I consider a PT shoot.

Do your homework...anything less is unprofessional and stupid.

Nov 19 05 03:44 pm Link

Model

Kimberly Dalsgard

New York, New York, US

Kuree wrote:
Why not a rating system? Slightly of an opposite of those tacky "Hot or Not's" ratings. You can rate the model/photographer, after working with them. I wonder if that would be possible.

5 stars professional
0 stars for unsatisfactory experience

Then people will understand what the risk is with hiring a model.

I mean, they do this on Ebay and Amazon. Why not here? Are we softer than consumers or something?

Haven't read this thread yet, so dunno if someone already thought of this.

i really like the rating system idea...my only concern on here was voiced already though...we run the risk of people giving bad ratings because people won't work with them...

unless we could do something that lists who gave what score, and an optional comment feature where you could voice your pros & cons.

i hope this gets some serious consideration, i really like the idea.

Nov 19 05 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Haleh Bryan

Kimberly Dalsgard wrote:

i really like the rating system idea...my only concern on here was voiced already though...we run the risk of people giving bad ratings because people won't work with them...

unless we could do something that lists who gave what score, and an optional comment feature where you could voice your pros & cons.

i hope this gets some serious consideration, i really like the idea.

I like the idea as well. The rating system should not be based on who likes who. It should be based on professionalism.

Nov 19 05 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Haleh Bryan

mollie_lane wrote:
I do not do BLIND anything for anyone at any time.
I research. I network. I check out their portfolios.
I contact photographers/models I know and trust
BEFORE I consider a PT shoot.

Do your homework...anything less is unprofessional and stupid.

You are taking yourself seriously and that is wonderful. This is the way it should be done.

Nov 19 05 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

Fireflyfotography

Las Colinas, Panamá, Panama

I get no shows now and then but why out them its not worth it in the long run and
besides models talk to other models... and if you out a "noshow" they will say that you suck to others b/c of that fact...Now you are marked as a D I C K H E A D
then your % of no shows will just increase

Nov 20 05 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Reflective Images

Columbus, Ohio, US

In 14 years in this business, I never had a "No Show" until 2005.  I've always been selective about whom I work with and until recently this Summer, I never had a problem with "No Shows," or the one just as bad, "The Last Minute Cancelation."  My policy on "No Show" models is that I do not reschedule them and will not work with them, nor would I recommend them for work.  Basically....if you're like me, and you take the time to hire make-up professionals, block out the time, and pay for special permits to shoot in special locations, you feel it's just professionally disrespectful to not show or to cancel at the last minute.  To me one is just as bad as the other. 

S......

Nov 20 05 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

Masha

San Jose, California, US

i don't think that's a good idea. one persons word against another.. i think there might be a lot of lying and overexaggerating with something like that. you wouldn't want to ruin someones reputation because of a mistake they made and you just being bitter about it.

Nov 20 05 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Well I have been very lucky for my Traveling Photo Shoot Trips.  In over 30 trips or about 10 years  I have never had a no show model.

I have had 4-5 no show when I bring them to Dallas to shoot and to get to know each other.

But there is a good point of a no show.  I can write off her airline ticket on my taxes.  That is the best thing about a no show that I can think of.

Now I have had  a few models who did show and I wished they had NO SHOWED.  But at least they came to town.  There were at the shoot but they were not at the shoot.  Oh well. bs

Nov 23 05 10:50 am Link

Model

_Blip_

Tampa, Florida, US

The only place I like flakes is in my cereal bowl. ;-)

I don't care if you're a model, MUA, stylist, photographer or janitor. lol. If you commit to a project, then follow through. If you must postpone, or cancel, do so in a professional manner, and only for a legitimate reason. Those who don't make the rest of us, who put 100% into our work, look bad.

Oh, and I've had one photog no-show or back out on me at the very last minute twice. Now he cannot understand why I won't work with him. I don't feel the need to out him publically, but I won't give him any more of my time. There are plenty of solid, professionally minded people I can work with. In the end, we make our own reputations. Those who are unreliable, in the end, hurt themselves the most. ;-)

Nov 23 05 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

MS Photo Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

I like this idea but we would need away to system track for accuracy. What if we when you booked a model could post what day you were working with that person and they would confirm and it would appear on your pages. Unless each person confirmed the shoot it would never appear. Afterwards you write a comment about the shoot for all to read. I guess if there were some kind of online booking system where part were private (like terms of the deal) and part public it might be away to indentify people.

The challenege would be to make it so that this system didn't get abused. For example, I booked a model. We spoke the morning of the shoot to confirm and she never showed. Since most people don't book with the intention of canceling, if we had both confirmed the shoot online, she couldn't deny that it was booked or hide from the no show. This works both ways.

Any thoughts?

Nov 23 05 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

BCG wrote:
i have never been "no showed"...i am too cute to have to tolerate that rudeness.

Damn, I should have played the cute card.  I have had three "no shows"

Nov 23 05 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Michael Sloane wrote:
I like this idea but we would need away to system track for accuracy. What if we when you booked a model could post what day you were working with that person and they would confirm and it would appear on your pages. Unless each person confirmed the shoot it would never appear. Afterwards you write a comment about the shoot for all to read. I guess if there were some kind of online booking system where part were private (like terms of the deal) and part public it might be away to indentify people.

The challenege would be to make it so that this system didn't get abused. For example, I booked a model. We spoke the morning of the shoot to confirm and she never showed. Since most people don't book with the intention of canceling, if we had both confirmed the shoot online, she couldn't deny that it was booked or hide from the no show. This works both ways.

This is probably the best idea yet.
Others have said to do your homework and network, but really if you contact a person who has photographed a model, what can the photographer say about him/her showing up?  Of course they did, as you are looking at the photos.  An online scheduler would satisfy everyone because you could list a no show without slandering the person.

Any thoughts?

Nov 23 05 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

Myopic Earache

Chicago, Illinois, US

Moderators:  Is there any way the 16,534 threads on this topic can be merged into one giant super thread?

Nov 03 06 05:45 pm Link