Forums > General Industry > Who pays the model? Who pays the photographer?

Photographer

Doug Vosler Photo Arts

Breezy Point, Minnesota, US

Stormy1 wrote:
I don't believe that. Anyone should be able to.. Who cares if they are established. Did you pay for your pictures before you were established???? I think it depends on what the photographer wants.. not how you think it should be.

You don't have to agree.

When a photog is establishing himself, then he could either do TFP with someone who is willing, or pay for an experienced model.

Me personally, I used used my friends.

The point was about new inexperienced modles EXPECTING TFP.  Which they shouldn't.

Nov 04 05 07:54 am Link

Photographer

RStephenT

Vacaville, California, US

Unfortunately the internet has fostered the notion that photographers are potential clients.  The truth is that pro photographers, models, MUA's, stylists etc are part of the talent... without a client there are usually very few $$$ available to anybody.

Nov 04 05 08:19 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Zao Photo wrote:
I think TFP should go to established models, who actually have something to offer.

Models just starting out, should pay for their shoots, even if only a little ammount, they haven't earned anything.

Unless it's a GWC shooting, then they can have each other.

*waits to get pounced on*

I shoot befinners for *free* sometimes when I like a certain look. But then, I am a GWC ;-)

Nov 04 05 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Doug Vosler Photo Arts

Breezy Point, Minnesota, US

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:
I shoot befinners for *free* sometimes when I like a certain look. But then, I am a GWC ;-)

I wanna see your work.  Let's see it dawn.

Nov 04 05 08:34 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Whoever wants the pictures pays.  In testing, that's typically the model.  In the "real world," that's a client.  In internet modeling, the photographer often is the client.

Nov 04 05 09:23 am Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

theda wrote:
Whoever wants the pictures pays.  In testing, that's typically the model.  In the "real world," that's a client.  In internet modeling, the photographer often is the client.

You know in theory this is actually true. But then what start up model doesn't "Want" the pics for their port?

Nov 04 05 02:37 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

00siris wrote:

You know in theory this is actually true. But then what start up model doesn't "Want" the pics for their port?

Yes I agree with Theda.  But this is what kills me and I think is what 00siris is talking about:

When a beginner model states, we will just say, their rates for doing swimsuit shots, but then they say that they want more swimsuit pics for their port!

*rant*

Nov 04 05 02:39 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

Well in the pro world, my understanding is that the client pays. But it goes further...it is a free market economy for sure.

If the model is wow stunning amazing beautiful, very experienced and able to woo the camera, willing to pose nude, and/or has some claim to fame then the photographer will likely pay. The point here is that the model has to have "something" to bring to the table. Models who are not a perfect "10", not networking queens, not experienced, and or not willing to take their clothes off don't seem to get much paid work that I have ever seen. (At least on these web based forums and so forth...I know one gal who makes a KILLING playing "Mom" on tv)

If the photographer has a unique and marketable style, a creative approach, KILLER technical skills, or knows the right people...then the model will pay. The point here is that the photographer has something you can't get from "glamour shots" or the local camera club. I know photographers who have models LINED UP for TFP and or paid (photographer gets paid) shoots, but these guys are doing some real cutting edge work.

So the point is I guess, supply and demand. Those who are in demand get paid.

Nov 04 05 02:47 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

00siris wrote:

Then they won't pay anyone and won't have those pictures and won't get the work those pictures might have secured for them.  That would be their problem.

Nov 04 05 02:52 pm Link

Model

xrhapsodiex

New York, New York, US

I have to agree with Theda, in my experiences TFP has been great!  However, it's a tough situation on who pays.  I feel that it's unfair for a photographer to contact a model and say "I want to work with you" then say "$X Please".  And visa versa.  If a model contacts a photographer they want to work with and the photographer says "$X Please" then it's up to the model if they're willing to pay. And visa versa.

Nov 04 05 03:25 pm Link

Model

SHAWN ANTONIA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

depends on the model.

photographers should pay models when they need that  certain look for their port and the model only does paid shoots.

you are paying for their time.
it is their job... and you get paid for working.

but if a model wants to work with an incredible photographer and they only do paid shoots then so be it.

but this isn't new!!!
it has always depended on the model, how good they are, and how bad you want to shoot them.

Nov 04 05 09:39 pm Link