Forums > General Industry > Why are coomments always positive?

Photographer

G R E G

Tampa, Florida, US

My recent images must not be to anyones liking because there are no comments. I noticed that all comments here on MM are mostly positive NO MATTER HOW BAD A PICTURE IS.  Don't get me wrong, I love my work but it would be stupid to comment on my own stuff here, lol.  Whether you like my stuff or not, feel free to leave your opinion.  Have a good day all.

Oct 25 05 03:37 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

They are always positive because
1. why slam someone in public?
2. you can erase all negative comments.
you might not be getting comments because you have to make a presence of yourself before people look at your work.

Oct 25 05 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

To overgeneralize, here's how I operate:

There are 2 types of photo (those I like and those I dislike) and 2 types of comments (solicited and unsolicited).

I will leave any type of comment on photos I like, but I will only leave solicited comments on photos I dislike.  I will not leave unsolicited comments on photos I dislike.

Oct 25 05 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

VisionsofZen

Berkeley, California, US

I am the same way, I don't leave unsolicited bad comments.  I have received a couple in the past and if I like the persons work, I usually follow up with them to get more info. But I don't think it is cool to leave them unless asked for them.

Oct 25 05 03:54 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Because I believe in positive reinforcement.

Oct 25 05 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

Why waste energy with a negative comment...  I've never read a negative comment and said "Gee - that's guy's cool"....  Besides - for whom are you making images for?  Trust me on this one - no matter what you shoot - someone will like it..  Just concentrate on building your skill and service those that believe in you and your vision....
happy shooting!!!!!!
peace
CIP

Oct 25 05 05:21 pm Link

Model

Inamourada Flux

Cheshunt, England, United Kingdom

Greg wrote:
My recent images must not be to anyones liking because there are no comments.

Well I think you have people's attention now wink

Oct 25 05 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

I left comments on a new photographer's portfolio this morning mentioning the lighting I had trouble with and indicated what I would do to correct the issues, The photographer saw my comments and didn't agree with them and deleted all my comments and then sent me a nasty email cursing me.

My comments were sincere and not reframing at all. It takes energy to critique anyone’s portfolio. I have to assume the offended person is insecure in with his work enough to feel threatened by some constructive criticism.

I have two photos posted with critiques on them and I'm good with that. I happen to know the model that left the remarks and I feel she was well within her rights as an artist to say what she did.
How else are we to better ourselves as an artist if we keep our head buried in the sand?

Craig

Oct 25 05 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

There is also the point that most photos are, at best, boring.  A lot are bad.  If I commented on all the bad photos, I would be doing nothing else.  So I comment on those that are unusual.  Being good is unusual.  I guess I could seek out the bottom 1% and comment on how bad those are, but why be a jerk.

Oct 25 05 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
I left comments on a new photographer's portfolio this morning mentioning the lighting I had trouble with and indicated what I would do to correct the issues, The photographer saw my comments and didn't agree with them and deleted all my comments and then sent me a nasty email cursing me.

My comments were sincere and not reframing at all. It takes energy to critique anyone’s portfolio. I have to assume the offended person is insecure in with his work enough to feel threatened by some constructive criticism.

Craig

its one thing if you are asked for your critique..
but its another story and really quite offensive, if you haven't been asked to provide a critique and you do...

if you critiqued my work without invitation, you would have recieved a unfriendly response as well....

the only critiques i look for, is from my clients...

Oct 25 05 07:58 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Why are coomments always positive?

Because everyone on MM is just great.
(otherwise...........)

Oct 25 05 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Because they save the put downs for the critique section where things are more private,lol.

Oct 25 05 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

H. Robert Holmes

TALL TIMBERS, Maryland, US

Comments are mostly positive for most of the reasons above.  I you like a pic, you leave a good comment.  If you don't like a pic, leave it alone unless asked.  (My policy, anyway)

Yes I also have seen good comments on pics that I didn't think were all that good, but by the same measure, I have seen pics that I thought were Marvelous, and were fundamentally ignored by everyone else.  You cannot account for taste!  An extremely experienced photographer will grade a photo much differently than an extremely experienced model!  People who neither model or take photographs may fall in love with a pic that a photographer or model would not claim!

There is just no accounting for taste!  Thank Goodness!

Oct 25 05 08:14 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Thumper's daddy said so.

Oct 26 05 01:59 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Well I never make comments on people who have to ask for comments.

Comments should be heart felt and not because somebody asks for them. bs

Oct 26 05 02:06 am Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

H. Robert Holmes wrote:
Comments are mostly positive for most of the reasons above.  I you like a pic, you leave a good comment.  If you don't like a pic, leave it alone unless asked.  (My policy, anyway)

Yes I also have seen good comments on pics that I didn't think were all that good, but by the same measure, I have seen pics that I thought were Marvelous, and were fundamentally ignored by everyone else.  You cannot account for taste!  An extremely experienced photographer will grade a photo much differently than an extremely experienced model!  People who neither model or take photographs may fall in love with a pic that a photographer or model would not claim!

There is just no accounting for taste!  Thank Goodness!

Exactly.

Even when I look at my own pictures, I see things that I don't like, but they end up being the ones that everyone likes. It's not that they aren't good shots, but because I look at them differently, I am more critical of certain aspects of the photo than others.

Oct 26 05 08:26 am Link

Photographer

G R E G

Tampa, Florida, US

The majority of you have made valid points.  By-the-way, the purpose of my thread was not to offend or even draw attention, but to bring out some honest discussion from my beautifully talented MM-ers and I think that has been accomplished.

We are all guilty of "wanting" a comment or two every now and then...some a little more than others, lol. 

Have fun and thank you to the following folks for taking time to be honest:

Lapis
Brian Diaz
Zendragon
Shyly
The Art of CIP
Inamourada Flux
Craig Thomson
Ivan123
Doug Swinskey
MHana
Glamour Boulevard
H. Robert Holmes
Theda
Bobby Sargent
VRG Photography

Oct 26 05 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I will leave any type of comment on photos I like, but I will only leave solicited comments on photos I dislike.  I will not leave unsolicited comments on photos I dislike.

Ditto!!

Oct 26 05 09:45 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Greg wrote:
My recent images must not be to anyones liking because there are no comments. I noticed that all comments here on MM are mostly positive NO MATTER HOW BAD A PICTURE IS.  Don't get me wrong, I love my work but it would be stupid to comment on my own stuff here, lol.  Whether you like my stuff or not, feel free to leave your opinion.  Have a good day all.

if you want negative comments put your stuff up on critique forum.  but even there, negatives are often countered by peoples friends or sugar coated frosty flakes.

Oct 26 05 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

They're not always positive.

Oct 26 05 02:37 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

I like 'em all.

Oct 26 05 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Gunter

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

Greg, you have a lot of Tags with positive comments.

Oct 26 05 07:55 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Greg wrote:
Have fun and thank you to the following folks for taking time to be honest:

Lapis
Brian Diaz
Zendragon
Shyly
The Art of CIP
Inamourada Flux
Craig Thomson
Ivan123
Doug Swinskey
MHana
Glamour Boulevard
H. Robert Holmes
Theda
Bobby Sargent
VRG Photography

Hey, I am a sucker for recognition!

Oct 26 05 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Robert_Darabos

Saginaw, Michigan, US

they are always positive because the negative comments get deleted.
i've noticed a lot of epople do that when i give turthful comments about crap shots.

Oct 26 05 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

Because if you have nothing nice to say it's better to say nothing.

Oct 26 05 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

G R E G

Tampa, Florida, US

Hope this thread was worth while.  Just wanted you beautiful folks to have a honest discussion on me.  I was expecting 2 or 3 responses but DANG, lol.  Thanks to each of you for your responses (as I wave my hand like a politician).  Drinks all around (Cool-Aid,  ofcourse with unlimited ice).  Now I'll have to think of another "deep" question so you folks can go back to work.  Kidding.

Oct 26 05 10:00 pm Link

Model

chelsey

Lea Hill, Washington, US

Greg wrote:

oh trust me they are not always positive!  Not that its a bad or good thing.  Its good when its constructive critisim, but bad when the person is just finding whatever they can thats negative no matter how good or bad the picture.

Oct 26 05 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Greg wrote:

chelsey wrote:
oh trust me they are not always positive!  Not that its a bad or good thing.  Its good when its constructive critisim, but bad when the person is just finding whatever they can thats negative no matter how good or bad the picture.

Greg, thank you for the thread.
I have several photos that have constructive critiques left by chelsey and because they are constructive, they stay. The best part of her commenting on my photos is, she and I know each other but have never worked together. It’s a respect thing I guess.
Her points were honest and true to the art form. To me, that’s what it’s all about.
Craig

Oct 26 05 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

G R E G

Tampa, Florida, US

Chelsey and Craig get my "good friends but never met award".  lol.  Thanks you both for adding to this crazy thread.  I really am surprised at the amount of responses gotten so far.  I do agree.

Oct 26 05 10:26 pm Link

Model

haitherelilu

Los Angeles, California, US

Greg wrote:

people do that because
1- a lot of people have a stick up their ass and get mad and BAN people who are honest
2- its bad networking

Oct 27 05 12:14 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Lapis wrote:
2. you can erase all negative comments.

Exactly.

Oct 27 05 12:17 pm Link

Model

haitherelilu

Los Angeles, California, US

JBPhoto wrote:
Because if you have nothing nice to say it's better to say nothing.

what are we? 5?

Oct 27 05 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

To counter the negativity of the forums perhaps? ;-)

Oct 27 05 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

G R E G

Tampa, Florida, US

Haitherilulu, though I totally disagree with your opinion, I am giving you my Speak-Your-Mind Award for your comment:

"this is offensive and disgusting"

Thanks.

Oct 27 05 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

The traditional public critic represented the customer's interest in the art marketplace; the workshopping industry has mixed agendas, but on the face of it, participants mean to help other participants see their work more clearly or objectively.  Etiquette, ethics, and sensible politics suggest the following:

1. No one knows how good someone else may get regardless of peer feedback.  Personally, I would place enthusiasm, experience, practice, and talent (the last most) far higher on the list of variable effecting art performance or product quality.

2. Arrogance, greed, and pride have their pitfalls: no matter how educated, experienced, or even accomplished the critic, there's a chance, always, that on any given comment he might just have it completely upside-down and head-up-butt.

It follows that if the target's of, let's say, good heart or nature, there's no need to call out the boo-boo's in public.  For someone who wants to know if his shiznit (?)stinks, and it so happens it does, a private note to that effect may be about as much as can be done.  In the critique parts of online communities, insight and technical advice may be presented as bridges for the artist to consider and cross.  There's not much personal in suggesting someone scrim a small strobe or pay attention to some suggestive placement of hands.  That's just the craft bench, and by and large, it leaves the person or soul of the artist intact.

Oct 27 05 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

G R E G

Tampa, Florida, US

commart wrote:
The traditional public critic represented the customer's interest in the art marketplace; the workshopping industry has mixed agendas, but on the face of it, participants mean to help other participants see their work more clearly or objectively.  Etiquette, ethics, and sensible politics suggest the following:

1. No one knows how good someone else may get regardless of peer feedback.  Personally, I would place enthusiasm, experience, practice, and talent (the last most) far higher on the list of variable effecting art performance or product quality.

2. Arrogance, greed, and pride have their pitfalls: no matter how educated, experienced, or even accomplished the critic, there's a chance, always, that on any given comment he might just have it completely upside-down and head-up-butt.

It follows that if the target's of, let's say, good heart or nature, there's no need to call out the boo-boo's in public.  For someone who wants to know if his shiznit (?)stinks, and it so happens it does, a private note to that effect may be about as much as can be done.  In the critique parts of online communities, insight and technical advice may be presented as bridges for the artist to consider and cross.  There's not much personal in suggesting someone scrim a small strobe or pay attention to some suggestive placement of hands.  That's just the craft bench, and by and large, it leaves the person or soul of the artist intact.

Dang Commart,

It actually heart to read your comment.  Not in a bad way, but I had to really concentrate to stay with you.  Truthfully, I would have to read again to fully grasp, lol. 

For your adroitness you get the Perspicacity Award.  My brain is still throbbing from reading that.  All kidding aside, thanks for your thaughts man.

Oct 27 05 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I've never believed in the "you learn more from negative comments than positive ones" or the "I'm just being honest" poses -- I think they're just an excuse for people to take it out on others so they can "feel the power" -- especially on the internet, where you can slag someone without even having to face them [is there anything more punk-@ssed?].

There's a studen't photographer in my neighborhood who occasionally asks me to critique their work, and my method is to ask them what they're trying to tell me with the images and then show them which ones [in my opinion] convey the message most effectively.  I also give them a chance to "sell" me on the images I initially rule out.  Hopefully we both learn something from the process.  At least they don't leave feeling like sh1t about their work.

Oct 27 05 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

G R E G

Tampa, Florida, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
I've never believed in the "you learn more from negative comments than positive ones" or the "I'm just being honest" poses -- I think they're just an excuse for people to take it out on others so they can "feel the power" -- especially on the internet, where you can slag someone without even having to face them [is there anything more punk-@ssed?].

There's a studen't photographer in my neighborhood who occasionally asks me to critique their work, and my method is to ask them what they're trying to tell me with the images and then show them which ones [in my opinion] convey the message most effectively.  I also give them a chance to "sell" me on the images I initially rule out.  Hopefully we both learn something from the process.  At least they don't leave feeling like sh1t about their work.

Point well taken...

Oct 27 05 03:47 pm Link

Model

xrhapsodiex

New York, New York, US

I think this goes back to the age old golden rule:

If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say anything at all.

lol

Oct 27 05 07:06 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Question,

When people go into the look at me box,  I mean the announcement box and ask for comments.

Are you just looking to get your ego stroked or do you really want constructive comments?

Nov 02 05 06:14 pm Link