Forums > General Industry > Whys it so hard for under 18 models to get a shoot

Photographer

Oxford Artistic Photo

New Oxford, Pennsylvania, US

Jenn Baumann wrote:
My only advice to you: learn how to type. I won't say much else because I don't feel like being mean today. I'm having an off day smile

She may have a few typos in her messages, BUT there are photogs on this "string" who have FAR MORE typos than she has!

With the stress she must be under by some of the very immature  and utterly rude remarks some of you have posted I am amazed that she has remaind civil, and has typed as well as she has.

I will be happy to work with her....WITH A PARENT AND RELEASE FORM!

Jan 17 07 09:53 pm Link

Model

JuAlisea Jenee

Charlotte, Iowa, US

Nora_Neko wrote:
Honestly I never get a hard time about being a minor.I didn't even when I first started modeling and I had crappy selftaken/friends taken pictures.Maybe you are aproaching the wrong photographers?

same here,thank god i'll be 18 soon ,lol

Jan 17 07 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

Oxford Artistic Photo

Jan 17 07 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

TRPn Pics

Silver Springs Shores, Florida, US

FantasyFoto wrote:

Jenn Baumann wrote:
My only advice to you: learn how to type. I won't say much else because I don't feel like being mean today. I'm having an off day smile

She may have a few typos in her messages, BUT there are photogs on this "string" who have FAR MORE typos than she has!

With the stress she must be under by some of the very immature  and utterly rude remarks some of you have posted I am amazed that she has remaind civil, and has typed as well as she has.

I will be happy to work with her....WITH A PARENT AND RELEASE FORM!

If you read through the whole thread, you should come to the conclusion that some remarks were justifiable. On the other hand she wasn't aware she was opening a can of worms with this thread being a newbie and all. Maybe the gloves should have been used to an extent I suppose. Being mean is one thing, being right while being mean is just wrong too I suppose. No no no, admiting your mistakes is the right thing. Oh for crying out loud, all this trying to be PC just doesn't work for me, sorry. Know when your right and stick to your guns, yeah thats the ticket.

The funny thing to me is I gave advice and surprisingly nobody has challanged any of it, go figure, lol. Let me mark my calander.

Jan 17 07 10:54 pm Link

Model

abcdefg1234

The whole purpose i started this was because i had a quesiton.

"Why was it so hard?"

And honestly, I wasnt expecting all of this, but I took it all. Alot of it was helpful advice, and things i needed to hear. I didnt get upset over anything..there was nothing to get upset over as far as i know..maybe there was? It doesn't matter. The point is that I got my question answerd- many times in differnt ways, so thanks.

Jan 18 07 12:20 am Link

Model

Fiona L 1125

Brooklyn, New York, US

rofl it's just amazing that in your portfolio, the one with you in a bathing suit had like 400 views...

Jan 18 07 06:39 am Link

Photographer

Royal Photography

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Think as a business and not a 16 year old model.

Are you not getting the results you want as a model in internet promotions?  Then give it up until you turn 18.  Find where the folks are who hire models your age and get exposure for yourself in those circles.

As for paying jobs only.......I only have one question.  If 18+ models are having a tough time getting paid for work on here what makes you think your going to be able to build enough attention to yourself to get work on here at 16?  Just because you are pretty does not justify getting paid.

Jan 18 07 06:46 am Link

Photographer

TRPn Pics

For what it's worth, I see some potential in her. She has some facial features that are appealing in the arena of beauty. Between now and the time she is 18, with the right photographers helping her she may have a future in the industry. She has already to some extent exibited that she is a bit thick skinned and can take being heavily criticized. Yeah she was not listening at first, but it appears she has made some adjustments already so thats an indication that she is listening even if just a little.

However I must agree with another poster that at 5'3" and 130 lbs there are areas that need immediate attention. A simple workout routine of a short mile or 2 jog and some crunches, situps and leg lifts every other day will do wonders if she has the inner strength to stick to it. Mind you watching the calorie intake is a part of that process as well.

I think she got the picture yesterday when she was hammerd repeatedly on one subject matter in particular. Maybe not though. As for the 400 hits on one image in particular, my guess is probably 98% of those hits are her friends and other sloths on the web that are not people that really matter as far as a future in the industry goes.

Come on guys back off a bit and lets see what she does now. Give her some breathing room.

Jan 18 07 11:22 am Link

Model

Heather Warren

Rogersville, Tennessee, US

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded to this thread with constructive criticism it has helped me to understand some things and given me ideas on what I need to work on as well.   Thank you all. I think constructive criticism is the best that we newbies can hope for.. well other than photographers contacting us for TFP/CD work that is. smile

Heather

Jan 18 07 11:27 am Link

Model

abcdefg1234

TeddyRay wrote:
As for the 400 hits on one image in particular, my guess is probably 98% of those hits are her friends and other sloths on the web that are not people that really matter as far as a future in the industry goes.

Yea, probably lol :p cause lets get serious..we all know its not a great picture lol.

Jan 18 07 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Oxford Artistic Photo

TeddyRay wrote:
. As for the 400 hits on one image in particular, my guess is probably 98% of those hits are her friends and other sloths on the web that are not people that really matter as far as a future in the industry goes.

Come on guys back off a bit and lets see what she does now. Give her some breathing room.

HMMM.... maybe you could back off a bit yourself!  I DO NOT KNOW her yet, but hope to in the future.

How are her friends going to be 98% of the hits on her picts?  The only way to see them is to be registered here.  How many of those hits are yours?  Yes, I will now have to go look at it too.....and give it yet another hit.

Jan 18 07 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

JaysonPolansky com

Sedona, Arizona, US

Allen Coefield wrote:
Think as a business and not a 16 year old model.

Allen has a good point started here.

I firmly believe you get what your mind focuses on. If you focus on 'it being hard', Guess what, it is going to be hard.

Personally, I focus on endless possibilities. And that is what I get more often than not.

I also exclude the word 'hard' when talking about how much effort it takes to do something.
I simply look at so called difficult tasks as "what it takes" to get what I want.

How many Olympic athletes say, "This training is so hard"?
They all use a term called "keeping your eye on the prize"

These driven individuals don't go in weighing how much effort it takes versus what you get for your effort. They simply want the end result and will not only do what ever they have to (training the mind and body) to get there, but they also become very creative in finding new ways to achieve better results.

The keys here are being creative and rethinking the way you look at things (like how hard it is to do something).

In addition to this, EDUCATE yourself. Take business classes, or get business books from the library. Take modeling classes or get modeling books from the library or on Amazon. Heighten your level of self confidence. You can do this by reading books on the subject as well.

When you know ten times as much as you think you need to know, you will be close.

Good luck

Jayson

Jan 18 07 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Desert Rose Photography

Buena Park, California, US

Lauraxbella wrote:

well ive only done one shoot so far paid with no pictures back..how am i supposed to put non "self taken pictures" up?

The same way that most models start getting experience, even here in LA . . . you start out doing TFP/TFCD.  When you get paid for the shoot, they are paying for not only your time but also the rights to the photos (unless pre-negotiated).  Try getting some trade shoots under your belt but be sure to take some one with you.  Since you are under 18, you NEED to have a parent or guardian with you anyway.  Give it a shot, I think it will help.

Jan 18 07 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

TRPn Pics

FantasyFoto wrote:

HMMM.... maybe you could back off a bit yourself!  I DO NOT KNOW her yet, but hope to in the future.

How are her friends going to be 98% of the hits on her picts?  The only way to see them is to be registered here.  How many of those hits are yours?  Yes, I will now have to go look at it too.....and give it yet another hit.

Honestly when I see personal webcam or non professional shots like she has, I don't waste my time on any individual picture much less a gallery. So, believe what you want, I haven't looked beyond opening up her pics page.

Jan 18 07 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Oxford Artistic Photo

TeddyRay wrote:
Honestly when I see personal webcam or non professional shots like she has, I don't waste my time on any individual picture much less a gallery. So, believe what you want, I haven't looked beyond opening up her pics page.

That is where you are missing out on some very great potential!  I am far from an expert photographer, but look at my new avitar (make a coment if you wish).  Her port had NOTHING but phone cam shots of her or a group shot with other people, but I still wrote her.  This pict was one from HER FIRST SHOOT, just a  little over a week ago.  She has great potential too.  To bad you will miss out on her, because she just want back to college, and has not yet posted any good picts to her port....which is not on MM anyways.

Yes, as always, there were shots that were not good, but she has great potential.

Not everyone, especially not a 16 year old, has the money to get a professional shoot done before they post a port on a web site.  Even if she had posted some school picts, I know many of you would have cut her to pieces for that too.

YES, I WILL LOOK AT "NON PROFESSIONAL" PORTS!  Someday, I may be the one that discovers a great model.  I know I have done some great shoots with people who had crappy picts on ports because either they got ripped off by a TFCD shoot where the photographer did not complete his/her end of the deal (another current string), or simply because they are just "checking out the field" to see if there was any potential for them.

Yes, I agree with you on one aspect!  It is very important to have good picts on the port, and especially important in the first days when they will get the most hits to their site, however some simply do not have them to post.

Jan 18 07 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

FantasyFoto wrote:
That is where you are missing out on some very great potential!  I am far from an expert photographer, but look at my new avitar (make a coment if you wish).  Her port had NOTHING but phone cam shots of her or a group shot with other people, but I still wrote her.  This pict was one from HER FIRST SHOOT, just a  little over a week ago.

Since you said make a comment, I will - you invited it.

This was her first shoot, and what did she get? A poorly-composed, poorly-lit snapshot of a terrible pose with stark shadows, blotched skin and no definition in the hair in front of a wronkled bedsheet.

Honestly, I would have stuck with the cell phone shots.

Again, I only point this out because you brought it up to make your point and invited comments.

To the original poster - seriously, find yourself a local agency and go to an open call. Educate yourself. And then be prepared to pay a reasonable rate to a professional agency shooter who can help you develop a book based on agency direction. You seem to indicate that you want to do this professionally and not as a hobby. That's how you do it.

If, on the other hand, you want this to be a hobby only, do whatever makes you happy (and, until you're 18 and can contract in your own name, keep your parents involved).

Jan 18 07 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

TRPn Pics

FantasyFoto wrote:

That is where you are missing out on some very great potential!  I am far from an expert photographer, but look at my new avitar (make a coment if you wish).  Her port had NOTHING but phone cam shots of her or a group shot with other people, but I still wrote her.  This pict was one from HER FIRST SHOOT, just a  little over a week ago.  She has great potential too.  To bad you will miss out on her, because she just want back to college, and has not yet posted any good picts to her port....which is not on MM anyways.

Yes, as always, there were shots that were not good, but she has great potential.

Not everyone, especially not a 16 year old, has the money to get a professional shoot done before they post a port on a web site.  Even if she had posted some school picts, I know many of you would have cut her to pieces for that too.

YES, I WILL LOOK AT "NON PROFESSIONAL" PORTS!  Someday, I may be the one that discovers a great model.  I know I have done some great shoots with people who had crappy picts on ports because either they got ripped off by a TFCD shoot where the photographer did not complete his/her end of the deal (another current string), or simply because they are just "checking out the field" to see if there was any potential for them.

Yes, I agree with you on one aspect!  It is very important to have good picts on the port, and especially important in the first days when they will get the most hits to their site, however some simply do not have them to post.

Mind you I didn't say I did not look over her pics page because I did. I just didn't bother opening any of the shots as even in a small form there was enough to see wether there is potential in one area or another, from my pov anyway. And like I stated, I think she has some potential, but there is some work to be done.

Jan 18 07 01:31 pm Link