Forums > General Industry > Charging for implied/nudes

Model

B E T H A N Y

MCLOUD, Oklahoma, US

How much do models usually charge to shoot implied/nudes?

Jan 16 07 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

They don't.

Jan 16 07 01:01 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Well... the real answer is whatever the market can handle.

Usually if it is for commercial work, it is the client that determines the rates, though not always.

Truthfully, charging rates boils down to whether or not the work can benefit your portfolio. If it can, then you can easily charge less and ask for some images. If it doesn't, then by all means come up with whatever rate is worth your time and effort. I have a drawer full of crappy nude pictures. I charged for all of those shoots because the results were worth NOTHING to my portfolio.

I'm sure that doesn't help much....
Try doing a search on the subject, there have been a lot of other threads on this topic. You might be able to find something useful.

Jan 16 07 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Okay, here's your answer.

You're brand new. You're not experienced at all, and your profile states that you're trying to build a portfolio. Why? Do you want to get into an agency?

You state that you'll shoot trade except for nude, which you imply you want pay.

The only people who will pay you fall into two categories:

1. Random amateurs who pay women to get naked. The camera might as well not be there, or be a prop. If you're comfortable letting someone pay you money to shoot you naked and "enjoy" those photos, more power to you. It's a nice side business.

2. Photographers who shoot for content, typically web sites. Again, they'll pay you, you won't get copies of the pictures, and they'll be on the net. Again, if that sounds like a good way to make a few dollars, more power to you.

That's pretty-much it.

Enjoy!

Jan 16 07 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Christopher Ambler wrote:

You're brand new. You're not experienced at all, and your profile states that you're trying to build a portfolio. Why? Do you want to get into an agency?

You state that you'll shoot trade except for nude, which you imply you want pay.

1. Random amateurs who pay women to get naked. The camera might as well not be there, or be a prop. If you're comfortable letting someone pay you money to shoot you naked and "enjoy" those photos, more power to you.

2. Photographers who shoot for content, typically web sites. Again, they'll pay you, you won't get copies of the pictures, and they'll be on the net. Again, if that sounds like a good way to make a few dollars, more power to you.

That's pretty-much it.

Enjoy!

I agree with this Chris.

I'm in the number 2 camp. I wouldn't pay the OP for implied work at all.

Also, Ginny is partially right when it come to me. Unless you are a model that will benefit me from a marketing stand point then you shouldn't expect to see any images.  Speaking of Ginny, she is a perfect example of this exception for me.  The nudes in her port that we shot, have directly led to shot opportunities and paid work from other models which has made up the costs of shooting her. So it was a good marketing decision to give her images from that shoot even though I paid her.

Find photographers that you want to work with and ask for trade.  Building your port with a bunch of less skilled and/or less experienced photographers will insure that your portfolio will look mediocre at best.

addendum:

I just looked at the OP's portfolio.  My question is the if she is active duty military, don't they have some policies against soliders doing nudes?

Jan 16 07 01:28 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

i trillionbazillion pesos.

damn i don't have the energy for this crap anymore.

Jan 16 07 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Daniela V wrote:

I paid you those trillionbazillion pesos and you've STILL not cashed the check!

Ingrate!

Jan 16 07 01:33 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Mickle Design Werks wrote:
Also, Ginny is partially right when it come to me. Unless you are a model that will benefit me from a marketing stand point then you shouldn't expect to see any images.  Speaking of Ginny, she is a perfect example of this exception for me.  The nudes in her port that we shot, have directly led to shot opportunities and paid work from other models which has made up the costs of shooting her. So it was a good marketing decision to give her images from that shoot even though I paid her.

And the same can be said of me regarding Rodney's work in my portfolio. I didn't shoot with him for my usual pay rate - because his images gain me other work. So we've both benefitted from the investment that we each made. He paid me, gave me some images, and gained more work from other models. I took the lesser pay than usual, gained images, and gained more work from other photographers. This is how this works. You have to be willing to figure out what is good for your portfolio in the long run - the images or the cash in your pocket?

Jan 16 07 01:34 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

I paid you those trillionbazillion pesos and you've STILL not cashed the check!

Ingrate!

i know. i'm an idiot.

Jan 16 07 01:35 pm Link

Model

_Absentia_

Austin, Indiana, US

They don't.

I would smile
Depends on the situation of course.

Jan 16 07 01:37 pm Link

Model

Deactivated profile 123

Los Angeles, California, US

I charge from 75 hr - 125 hr for implied - nudes..

Depends on a few different factors

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Huh I don't know if I have evern done only an implied shoot...
I have done clothed and nudes...

for both types of shoots..

I have been paid from
one or two prints.
to 500 dollar half days.
and everything in between.

Know your market, listen to Chris/nc17 on this one they hit the nail on the head.

Photographer

Meehan

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

Daniela V wrote:

i know. i'm an idiot.

Soooo.... does this mean I should cancel your "Cheese-Wheel-Of-The-Month-Club" subscription we negotiated for a shoot!?!

Jan 16 07 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

Veteres Vitri

MAYLENE, Alabama, US

1. Random amateurs who pay women to get naked. The camera might as well not be there, or be a prop. If you're comfortable letting someone pay you money to shoot you naked and "enjoy" those photos, more power to you. It's a nice side business.

That's pretty-much it.

Enjoy!

You left out number 3.

Pretensious artist.

ken rockwell surrenders

Jan 16 07 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

dgold

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

I pay for nudes as opposed to implied.

For nudes, I pay $250. cash for a 2 1/2 hour shoot, provide a MUA ,and, gift a high res CD of images w/my logo inset for model's personal use.
I require a signed Adult Professional Model Release prior to the shoot.

Jan 16 07 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Mickle Design Werks wrote:
addendum:

I just looked at the OP's portfolio.  My question is the if she is active duty military, don't they have some policies against soliders doing nudes?

FWIW the answer is no PROVIDED that there is no connection between the images and their active service status - e.g. not posing in uniform or any part of the uniform; not posed with actual military equipment; not doing the shoot on obvious military property such as in a/the barracks; and not identified as a member of the military in any image caption; ect ect.

Studio36

Jan 16 07 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Cecil Sharps wrote:
You left out number 3.

Pretensious artist.

Oh, no, I never speak ill of myself.

Jan 16 07 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Daniela V wrote:

damn i don't have the energy for this crap anymore.

As previously stated after each one of your posts...you are remarkable! smile

Model

Bianca Smith

I love model mayhem.

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

B E T H A N Y wrote:
How much do models usually charge to shoot implied/nudes?

Wow...I just realized this was your first post. Seems you're well versed in internet model lingo. You sure made that 1st one a doozy as my grandmother would say.

Jan 16 07 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Bianca Smith wrote:
My advice would be not to get naked at all.  Nudes never go away.  They will always be around.  And eventually, even if you don't now, you will eventually regret it.

Well, let's be honest here, shall we? Many women have no problem with either mode of nude modeling I described. They make decent money, know going in that many "photographers" are paying them to get naked and they (the women) have no issue with that. Just because you and I don't play in that sandbox doesn't mean that others aren't happy doing so.

If they're comfortable doing that, who am I to tell them no? Surely you're not implying that every woman is so weak and helpless as to be unable to make up her own mind? Of course not.

As for regretting nudes, I've shot nudes since I picked up a camera professionally. I've never had a single model tell me she regretted shooting a nude with me. Those who have had their images juried into art shows or published have taken a lot of pride in those images. I must be the exception, then?

Jan 16 07 02:05 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Bianca Smith wrote:
My advice would be not to get naked at all.  Nudes never go away.  They will always be around.  And eventually, even if you don't now, you will eventually regret it.

You base this assumption on what?

Jan 16 07 02:11 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Bianca Smith wrote:

THats pretty poor advice. There are plenty of us out here in the modeling world that WON'T regret posing nude. Period. I love the nude work I have done, and don't mind that there is some out there that is less than stellar quality. I can't demand a certain amount of quality when I get paid... if I do, then I'm not gonna get paid very much.

Please don't place your ideals on the rest of the world. We are free to choose our own paths, and do so happily, regardless of your opinions.

Jan 16 07 02:18 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Bianca Smith wrote:

This coming from a so called art curator?? I am a bit confused what type of art do you curate?

Jan 16 07 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

art of the muse- musart

That's pretty-much it.

Enjoy!

stands.
applauds.
exits room.

Jan 16 07 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Free at last

Fresno, California, US

Envy wrote:

You base this assumption on what?

emotional issues????

Jan 16 07 02:33 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Lohkee wrote:

emotional issues????

Strong moral fiber that I lack?

Jan 16 07 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

art of the muse- musart

oh man....this is going sideways fast...

Jan 16 07 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Old Ska Punk

Crivitz, Wisconsin, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
This coming from a so called art curator?? I am a bit confused what type of art do you curate?

I saw that too, and found it rather odd. Art and nudes have kinda' gone together for, well, several centuries. . .

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

Bianca Smith wrote:

Well said Christopher.

I just joined this site as well - although I am no stranger to this so called world of "Modeling".   You definitely have to be smart in this psuedo-entertainment based industry.  Many photographers are actually pick-up artists in disguise as professional photographers. 

Nice, Bianca. You've managed to pissed my gals off with your second post in the forum ever. What a way to go. Here is my question for you. What do you call these?
https://img5.modelmayhem.com/070115/01/45ab1c93cec9a.jpg
https://img5.modelmayhem.com/070115/01/45ab1b1f2c717.jpg

When you have this statement, "I'm not a Peep-Show model. If you are more concerned with seeing me scantily clad, then getting a great picture, please refrain from messaging me."?

Model

Dances with Wolves

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

As previously stated after each one of your posts...you are remarkable! smile

muah wink

Jan 16 07 02:47 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Bianca Smith wrote:

PUH-LEAZE.

Yeah, I'm sure Tyra Banks really feels like she shot herself in the foot. Kate Moss probably wants to hang herself for posing topless.

Jan 16 07 02:49 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

How about a Navaho, Schoolgirl, Mrs Marple, Fetish, and VS styling disastar?

Jan 16 07 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

https://web.mac.com/aaronandpatty/iWeb/What%20the%20Duck/Images/WTD128-1.gif

Jan 16 07 02:54 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Daniela V wrote:
Kate Moss probably wants to hang herself for posing topless.

She should.

Jan 16 07 02:56 pm Link

Model

_Absentia_

Austin, Indiana, US

NC17 wrote:

THats pretty poor advice. There are plenty of us out here in the modeling world that WON'T regret posing nude. Period. I love the nude work I have done, and don't mind that there is some out there that is less than stellar quality. I can't demand a certain amount of quality when I get paid... if I do, then I'm not gonna get paid very much.

Please don't place your ideals on the rest of the world. We are free to choose our own paths, and do so happily, regardless of your opinions.

THANK you for saying this smile

Jan 16 07 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

They don't.

Yup.  Industry standard is to pose nude for free.  Got that, Bethany?  smile

Jan 16 07 02:57 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Envy wrote:

She should.

Hmm...I was referring to Vanity Fair...not candid shots.

My point though was that it's completely idiotic to say that someone will regret doing nudes just because.

Jan 16 07 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

AU fotografia

Houston, Texas, US

so.. Oklahoma, right?

Jan 16 07 02:59 pm Link

Model

Bianca Smith

I love model mayhem.

Jan 16 07 02:59 pm Link